Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Today's (mis) Adventure

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Today's (mis) Adventure
on: January 20, 2018, 01:29:57 AM
I swear, when it is my time I am going to have "Well that's not good" put on my tombstone... or this:

Grant Lamontagne
Born: October 1974
Died: In Your Arms Tonight
It must have been something you said.

Sorry, horrible joke but I had to do it because it makes me laugh.  :D

Anyways, getting back on track, today this happened.

Yup, I was rear ended by not one, but TWO Kia Rios.  As you can see from Megan's happy smile and wave, we are okay, at least so far.  We have both been hit from behind before and we both know that tomorrow won't be much fun, but there's nothing broken and all of our blood is safely still tucked away inside of us, so that's good.

The white one in the middle got the most damage (duh) not just because it was impacted on the front and the back, but also because it tried to absorb my trailer hitch.  For those driving any car, I suggest trying to avoid taking someone else's trailer hitch internally.  Scratch one Kia, which is too bad, because it was a fairly new car.  I doubt it was more than a couple of years old.  The occupants were also okay, although one of the two ladies in it was shaken pretty badly.

My hitch punched through the license plate, through the bumper, through the radiator and into parts unknown.  This car will never be on the road again.  I actually pulled it a ways when I was told by the cops to pull forward, which was a bit macabre, but I still got a sick pleasure out of it.

The car in back only had damage to the front, as the people behind her obviously knew what brakes were for, but I feel the worst for her as the poor lady was in such shock.  Her air bag had gone off (didn't go off in the middle car) and when I checked on her there was some blood on it.  The firefighters arrived moments after the accident and they said she was ok, just shaken up pretty good.

The grey car was an older Kia, and it's front end is only in slightly better shape than the white one's, so I doubt it will ever be driven again either.  Scratch two Kias.

And how did I come out of this?

That blue paint is from the white Kia's license plate.

I have an appointment at the body shop on Tuesday, but the only damage that is apparent is that my spare tire is on a slight angle, maybe five degrees off what it used to be.  It's possible that there's some frame damage, as the majority of the impact went through my trailer hitch which is bolted to my frame, so it's still possible that my Jeep may be written off, but I drove it home and didn't notice any major problems- no extra shakes or vibrations.

I will be insisting on (at least) a new spare as there is a bit of a gouge going across it, which likely means if I ever use it I'll be risking a sidewall blowout, which I don't want.  I'd say there's a good possibility that my rear door is a bit warped, and the carrier and hinges may be damaged, but the bumper only appears to have a few light scuffs in the plastic.

This is why I drive a tank like this.  Yeah, a Jeep isn't fuel efficient, it's not aerodynamic, and there's a laundry list of things that go wrong with them that most Jeep owners just accept as being part of the "Jeep Lifestyle" but in the end, it took two impacts today, significant enough to write off two other cars, and I drove home.  You can't put a price on that. 

Oh yeah, and the really twisted bit was how it happened.

A guy in the middle lane, two or three cars ahead of me was texting while stopped at a red light.  The police officers in the unmarked van next to him did not care for that, so they pulled him over into the right lane to give him a ticket when the light turned green.  We moved forward, slowly around the police van (running over police officers is not something I am interested in doing) and we stopped about 30 feet ahead of the police officer when the light turned red again. 

Then WHAM.

Then WHAM again.

Right in front of the police officers, and all caught on the dash cam.   :facepalm:

You really can't ask for better witnesses to your accident than two police officers and their dash camera!  And, the really ironic thing is, this three car pile up happened because the police were pulling a guy over for texting- ie it happened because the police were trying to make the roadways safe!   :facepalm:

I think the guy who was texting needs to send me a Thank You card, because I am certain a three car pile up would have gotten him out of a ticket!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Re: Today's (mis) Adventure
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 02:22:09 AM
It’s funny; but, I get rear ended “by” Ottawa all the time.

Seriously, glad that you came out on top. The NCR can be pretty freaky.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 02:37:46 AM
Glad you and Megan are OK.

Me, I'd pop a couple of ibuprofen before bed.

It often seems that the distraction of police activity leads to accidents of inattention. Here in Montana we've had five or six POLICE cars hit in the past year after pulling other traffic violations over to the side of the road. I assume all accidentally.

Now, in the future, try to avoid hitch-slapping womens.   :pok:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 02:45:18 AM
I think the guy who was texting needs to send me a Thank You card, because I am certain a three car pile up would have gotten him out of a ticket!  :D

Depending on how everyone's insurance companies want to play this, he could be paying for all of it since in a way he caused the accident. Sounds like everyone is ok, even the lady who got popped in the nose by the airbag.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 03:12:46 AM
Damn you are going to have clean your ball  :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 03:21:45 AM
Glad no-one was seriously hurt.  I hope your damage is very minor, easily fixed and the other driver's insurance company doesn't give you the run-around.

Seems some people can't even avoid running into a vehicle which is right in front of their nose.  I saw a (very minor) rear-ender yesterday, 3 lanes of traffic, everybody stopped at the red light, the lights go green, everybody starts to move off, the leading car in the lane next to me was a bit slower than the other two lanes so the car behind it hesitated, then the car behind them promptly ran up their butt !  The offending car was quite close to the car in front (too close as it turned out). 

I suspect my new car wouldn't let me run into the car in front of me unless I trick it somehow (it has auto braking, auto lane keeping and who knows what else).  I'm hoping that when this new safety tech filters through to more of the active car population then we might see less crashes (note I call them what they are - crashes, they are not "accidents" because they are almost always preventable with proper attention and correct driving technique).

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 03:55:03 AM
Woah :ahhh Sorry to hear about the accident and glad everyone is ok :tu: Hopefully the paint on the ball is the only major thing that happened to your vehicle and you get a new spare tire out of it :salute:

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 04:10:17 AM
Sorry this happened, but glad everyone is OK, and glad the damage is minor.

Also,  you, (Like myself) are able to joke about the bad things in life.  I feel this is a great attribute.
If I can help, let me know 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 04:19:50 AM
Sorry this happened, but glad everyone is OK, and glad the damage is minor.

Also,  you, (Like myself) are able to joke about the bad things in life.  I feel this is a great attribute.

In the immortal words of Heath Ledger, what doesn't kill you makes you stranger!  >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 04:51:16 AM
Jeez you are a magnet for accidents, people should stay away from you.  :D

Sounds like time for a new bumper/tire carrier.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 10:16:13 AM
Do you have something against Kias, that you've written off two of them in one day?  ::) :P

Im glad that the event wasn’t worse for everyone involved, and hopefully your jeep has no hidden damage.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 10:26:43 AM
Nice ride Boss!
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 10:59:53 AM
These things are always a time consuming (and sometimes wallet consuming) mess, even when, thank goodness, everyone was ok. My car was clipped last October, clearly not my fault, witnesses and everything, minor damage and no injuries. It seems that the other driver lied to her insurance company and they denied the claim. They just simply said no, and that was that. A civil suit would cost me more than the repair, so I get to eat the expense of the damage. Thank you nice person for not only driving like smurf, but being a no good liar to boot. Glad you got camera footage Def, it helps. I'm really considering putting a dash cam in my car, I think the whole world is coming to this.  :(

Also here, your insurance premium goes up no matter who's fault it is, being in the wrong place at the wrong time is expensive.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:01:47 AM by twiliter »

hr Offline styx

Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 11:06:37 AM
good thing no one got hurt. and this is exactly the reason why I love big off road capable cars
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 01:19:12 PM
lovely humor in bad moments a usual, boss. Good no one was hurt
Yourlife really seems exciting from here   :ahhh

I'm also a fan of big cars and trucks, this being one of the reasons  :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 01:43:02 PM
Years ago when SUV's started to become popular, anti SUV groups said that everyone who bought one was buying their safety at the expense of someone else's.  Thy were concerned that these large, heavy beasts would crush smaller cars in accidents.

My response to that is "yeah..... And?"

If someone's life and well being are worth less to them than paying for an extra tank of gas see and there then why should I give a damn about their lives and well being?   >:D

Def

england Offline Kev D

Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 01:50:15 PM
Glad everyone was ok. Hope the frame of the monster truck isn't damaged.

You can't get much better witnesses than that.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 02:12:59 PM
Accidents do happen. The most important part is that everyone could walk away afterwards. Good you are ok!  :cheers:

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 04:16:51 PM
I'll be heading off shortly to the collision center to have my Jeep looked at.  As I understand it I'll have a rental car while the collision center

Frankly I am not looking forward to this part of it.  I noticed on the weekend that there was a definite shimmy in the rear end that wasn't there before.

Oh well, I wonder what kind of rental I will get while they are dissecting my poor Jeep?

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 04:31:17 PM
 :pok:  make sure you check for any damage that happened to your windscreen, as a result of that terrible accident, that shook the whole car

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 05:13:43 PM
Wow, that's really "killing two Kias with one ball"...

:facepalm:

Happy that it was just "plastic" damage. The ice on the road might have helped. That and the fact most people just drive the same way/speed regardless of the road/weather condition.

Still, I would've loved to see the other drivers face when you came out of your car and went "Hey, you scratched my ball!".

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 05:15:47 PM

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 05:17:07 PM

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 05:18:29 PM

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 05:21:15 PM
Glad that you are both okay  :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 05:47:33 PM
I keep the hitch in my reciever and Ive been debating if it would cause more or less frame damage to the frame in an impact.  I like the extra distance of the hitch to ram into any vehicle that hits me, but it could also allow more leverage to bend the frame.

Make sure your frame gets inspected well as thats the biggest worry I think.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 06:01:02 PM
many years ago, before bullbars became illegal here, many offroader drivers ended up with frame damage, after crashing their bullbar equipped vehicles, leading to the vehicle being scrapped.

They basically transfer the shock to the frame, without the cushioning effect of proper bumpers
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 06:11:22 PM
I keep the hitch in my reciever and Ive been debating if it would cause more or less frame damage to the frame in an impact.  I like the extra distance of the hitch to ram into any vehicle that hits me, but it could also allow more leverage to bend the frame.

I've told them that I need it absolutely 100% no matter what. Driving it as far as I do as often as I do, often hauling stuff in trailers etc I absolutely need this thing at it's absolute best.

It's in the service bay now, and I'm just waiting for the body shop's thoughts.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 06:29:15 PM

I've told them that I need it absolutely 100% no matter what. Driving it as far as I do as often as I do, often hauling stuff in trailers etc I absolutely need this thing at it's absolute best.

It's in the service bay now, and I'm just waiting for the body shop's thoughts.

Def

Those Kias looked like toy cars. I hope they didn't damage the structure of your ride. In case there was any damage, hope the mechanics find it and fix it quickly and completely.

:salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 06:34:32 PM
Can't beat having a dashcam.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%