Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Today's (mis) Adventure

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Today's (mis) Adventure
Reply #120 on: August 10, 2020, 05:39:08 PM
In the interest of having this thread properly maintained, my Jeep was in the body shop for a few days again a couple of weeks ago, for an issue related to this accident.

I went to the idiotic body shop I did because they were approved by the insurance company, and they warranteed the work for as long as I own the vehicle.  I still own the vehicle, and it appeared that they didn't paint the new tailgate properly, and it started to rust.   :facepalm:

I had to try and make a claim for warranty work that was greatly complicated by the fact that I am back in Nova Scotia, and the work was done in Ontario.  They have nationwide locations, but they are all owned by individual franchisees so they have to get approval from the shop that did the work to pay the shop that will be fixing the repairs.  And that original shop hates me.   :facepalm:

After chasing people for a couple of months, one of the local franchisees of the bodyshop chain that did the work basically said "Screw it, I'll help him."  They did the work, I drove a pretty new F-150 for a few days (all paid for) and I got my Jeep back.  It looks great, but I have been told in no uncertain terms that I am basically on my own should there be any further issues with the tailgate.

Even so, I appreciate the local franchisee looking after me, and his work looks great, so I would consider going back to him if I ever need any more work done.  It is the parent company telling me to screw off, not him.

The thing that really annoys me is that when I bought the Jeep I paid extra for what is called the Mastershield program, which is basically a body warranty.  If anything rusts out, Chrysler will replace it, but now I have had rust issues with my tailgate, a part that was replaced, and therefore not covered by the Chrysler warranty.  And now Carstar says they will not cover rust issues, so I am basically SOL if there are any more rust problems with the tailgate.  They manage to devalue my vehicle just a little bit more....  dumbasses.

Anyways, I am not likely to get rid of my Jeep any time soon, so I hope this guy's work is as good as it looks.   :tu:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #121 on: August 10, 2020, 05:39:48 PM
Oh yeah, and I am planning to jump to a new insurer in the new year because of how well I have been treated by mine after all of this.   >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #122 on: August 10, 2020, 05:43:59 PM
 :facepalm:

Glad you got it sorted but goodness.  What a racket tho.  Buy additional coverages only to have to jump so many hoops.  Thievery on a scale only companies like that can get away with.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #123 on: August 10, 2020, 05:57:04 PM
I couldn't agree more.

The broker for this new insurance company is a member of the local Jeep club so I am hoping that she will be a bit more attentive.

Def

ca Offline Altis

Reply #124 on: August 10, 2020, 07:33:17 PM
That's never fun to deal with. No matter what it seems like we all lose in the end.

Last year in Ottawa I had some oncoming lady cross to my side (while texting)... had to swerve a little to the side of the road, and of course being Ottawa there was a massive chunk of the side (right along the line) that was missing and about 6" deep. Took out the suspension, tire, and alignment on my Civic (since replaced anyways). Worst part is she just keeps on going causing people issues costing thousands of dollars and nothing happens to her. I could have turned around and gone after her but no doubt she would just deny everything and probably even accuse us of something. Turned on the news when I got home and they had a segment on all the potholes causing damage to vehicles.

So, in a way I feel your pain.  :cheers: Hope all is well with the Jeep.

BTW careful not to leave your hitch in while not towing as that's apparently ticketable in Ontario at least.  :dunno:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #125 on: August 10, 2020, 10:04:53 PM
I never take my hitch out, and I've never been stopped or ticketed.  If I ever am I will just claim I am on my way to or from a place where I was using a trailer. 

The officers involved in my accident didn't seem to care one way or the other that it was there.

Def

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #126 on: August 10, 2020, 10:54:10 PM
More than half the trucks on the road here have the hitch in the receiver.  Mine always is as its the handiest place to store it. 😁 Never heard of anyone getting a ticket.  If it's a rule its not enforced.

People ruin everything.  I hope your hitch did some good damage on the offending car.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline Altis

Reply #127 on: August 10, 2020, 11:17:30 PM
More than half the trucks on the road here have the hitch in the receiver.  Mine always is as its the handiest place to store it. 😁 Never heard of anyone getting a ticket.  If it's a rule its not enforced.

People ruin everything.  I hope your hitch did some good damage on the offending car.

In this case the "offending car" was the victim that got sandwiched in the middle.  :facepalm:

Was just an FYI... know of two people who got tickets for it in eastern Ontario. Granted, in one of those cases some lady hit her shin on it. Probably will be less of a concern when you have a tire sticking off the back that overhangs it anyways.  :dunno:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #128 on: August 10, 2020, 11:45:11 PM
I need to see a picture of what you're all talking about. :dunno:
Here your towbar is firmly bolted/welded to the chassis.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #129 on: August 11, 2020, 02:32:45 AM
Here your hitch generally consists of two parts- a reciever that can be welded to your frame, but is usually just bolted on, and the hitch itself, usually a 2 inch square hunk of steel that your ball is mounted on.  The hitch slides into the reciever and is held in place with a steel pin.  Pull the pin and the hitch slides right out.

I'll get some pics for you tomorrow, but you get an idea of what I am talking about by looking at the hitch pics in the first post.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%