Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Q3Baton Review

kaput · 16 · 1835

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
SOG Q3Baton Review
on: January 21, 2018, 06:22:01 PM
So I've been using the SOG q3 baton for weeks now at work. I like it. It's a uniquely designed tool where SOG stepped out of the traditional design constraints of a "normal" multi tool. And that's why I bought it, and the discount at REI for $48.93 made me pull the trigger. This item seems to have already gone clearance and close out at REI, probably not speaking highly enough to its sales I can only assume. The msrp seemed to be grossly overestimated at $95 and most online retailers sell them reduced at $70 if you are interested. (I'm not so sure I would recommend at either of those prices with comparative tools offered at those price ranges.)
IMG_3529.JPG
* IMG_3529.JPG (Filesize: 282.88 KB)
IMG_3535.JPG
* IMG_3535.JPG (Filesize: 376.99 KB)
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Re: SOG Q3Baton Review
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 06:23:16 PM
The tool is fun to own as it is a departure from the traditional super tool, wave or juice form factor. It feels like a mini multitool light saber thing. I like carrying it, but it feels novel. It's easy to clip to my backpack straps, but feels weird in the pocket. The tool feels large and small at the same time? Small because it's basically one layer versus the folded two like most tools. But large because it is an elongated design. Also speaking of the pocket carry, the clip is wrong. The clip has a slant so it doesn't hang level with anything. It must have been a pure aesthetic decision as functionally it makes no sense.
IMG_3530.JPG
* IMG_3530.JPG (Filesize: 209.49 KB)
IMG_3534.JPG
* IMG_3534.JPG (Filesize: 244.47 KB)

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 06:25:01 PM
Speaking to the tools. I like the 3D philips, the awl and the chisel. Those are all very handy. The knife blade is meh and I have pretty much stopped using it except for maybe tape on boxes. The file is absolute trash and won't file a thing. The chisel however is very sharp and good size to get work done. The chisel grind on the chisel is very sharp, great for scraping. I almost wish it was thicker at the tip more for prying tasks. And the pliers. They work. Not great, but they can get the job done, as long as one of the handles doesn't slide on you causing the pliers to not close, it's happened to me a couple times. Oh and they're spring loaded, some people like that some don't. I don't mind. Edit: the pliers handles keep closing during use preventing clamping.
IMG_3529.JPG
* IMG_3529.JPG (Filesize: 282.88 KB)
IMG_3531.JPG
* IMG_3531.JPG (Filesize: 259.48 KB)
IMG_3533.JPG
* IMG_3533.JPG (Filesize: 397.97 KB)

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 06:26:57 PM
Another thing I'll mention is that since this tool is in a long shape, vs. folded. When you pull out a tool implement from the inside the tool in turn is very long to use. You basically have to choke up on it to use accurately. It's great if you need to get two hands on it and torque down however. Otherwise, you have quite a bit of handle behind you. The other thing is while holding and using, your thumb tends to land very closely to the unlocking mechanism. Hasn't been an issue, but I am aware of it every time I'm using it.
IMG_3532.JPG
* IMG_3532.JPG (Filesize: 333.93 KB)
IMG_3536.JPG
* IMG_3536.JPG (Filesize: 293.44 KB)

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 06:27:40 PM
This is the first SOG I've owned. I really wanted a power access but had quality concerns after reading all the feedback, so I've never gotten one. As far as the q3 baton goes for fit and finish, it's bad (especially for the price they are asking). The entire tool as a whole and all the tools inside wiggle and have play. In every direction. The materials seem sturdy, but the tolerances are just not tight at all. It's not a deal breaker, and the tool is very functional and I still continue to use it.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 04:27:00 AM
This is the first SOG I've owned. I really wanted a power access but had quality concerns after reading all the feedback, so I've never gotten one. As far as the q3 baton goes for fit and finish, it's bad (especially for the price they are asking). The entire tool as a whole and all the tools inside wiggle and have play. In every direction. The materials seem sturdy, but the tolerances are just not tight at all. It's not a deal breaker, and the tool is very functional and I still continue to use it.

Have you tried tightening up the pivot screws? It could make a big difference in the looseness of your tools.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

au Offline PPCAPache

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 03:48:28 PM
Nice review, I have had my SOG Baton Q4 since early Dec 2017, Birthday prescent from the wife and kids. Love the ratchet screwdriver used that the most, carried it more times than I thought as it was easier to carry and it looked simple and I could carry it to the Hospital where my Wife Lisa has been getting treatment. I normally carry either my Leatherman Wave Black, Surge or Skeletool CX.

Here's some pics of the Q4 -

Founder & Chief UAV Pilot at Elevated Drone Control Zone

Rotation EDC: LM MUT, LM OHT, Fenix LD12 / LD22, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Bit Card, Bit Extender, TEC Ti-Pry Bar, Garmin Tactix Delta, LM Tread LT, iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro (2020) 12.9”,

Other EDC: LM Surge, LM Wave, LM Wave BO, Skeletool & Skeletool KBX Coyote Tan, The RIT [Rapid Intervention Tool], Zippo Lighter,

fi Offline Padre

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 04:46:53 PM
So basically the review is... negative?
 ???
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 04:59:40 PM
No. Not entirely. In fact I like using the tool, there are just some factors that are keeping it from being great. As stated in the review. I'm by no means trying to bash the product, just wanted to give an honest opinion from using it for months now.

Are you looking to buy one? Did you have questions specifically?

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 05:01:30 PM
Nice review, I have had my SOG Baton Q4 since early Dec 2017, Birthday prescent from the wife and kids. Love the ratchet screwdriver used that the most, carried it more times than I thought as it was easier to carry and it looked simple and I could carry it to the Hospital where my Wife Lisa has been getting treatment. I normally carry either my Leatherman Wave Black, Surge or Skeletool CX.

Here's some pics of the Q4 -

(Image removed from quote.)

That's the one I was gonna get, but caught the 3 on a clearance sale. That 4 looks handy with the ratcheting driver and driver bit kit. Cool piece of kit there! Probably all you needed for that camera install eh?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 05:06:17 PM
I've got the Q2.
Def should have send me the Sync II as a GAW prize but must have mixed up somewhere...

Overall there is no play on the tools...
It's a flashlight, fixed blade and cap lifter. So the only thing that could have some play is the cap lifter :rofl:

It does seem quite alot slimmer compared to your pics though.

Didn't get around carrying it alot so far, but it does make a great tool for those risky environments (hospitals, schools, ...)

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 08:48:19 PM
Nice score, that one looks cool too, I really do like the line of tools in the series.

The tools being loose is ok, but the plier handles Sliding down while using is starting to get real annoying. For spring loaded pliers, you would think that would lend itself well to using one handed. But when one handle slides up while in a precarious position using the pliers, it's getting frustrating.

I'm carrying the wave today too. Here's a size comparison that may help.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 08:55:58 PM
Pics
IMG_3563.JPG
* IMG_3563.JPG (Filesize: 448 KB)
IMG_3566.JPG
* IMG_3566.JPG (Filesize: 439.4 KB)

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 08:57:13 PM
Blade comparison. Lol
IMG_3569.JPG
* IMG_3569.JPG (Filesize: 144.91 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 08:58:25 PM
A'ight...
Least I can do is post a comparisson pic myself...

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 09:02:40 PM
I haven't got a Wave so it's pictured next to my Charge AL

Closed:

Knife:

(Pic turned 180...)

Bright light built in:

This one tilted 180 too...
:facepalm:

Donations