Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Heritage PST / 35th Anniversary Limited Edition

wowaboro · 113 · 12334

ru Offline wowaboro

Heritage PST / 35th Anniversary Limited Edition
on: January 22, 2018, 04:55:30 PM

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:07:15 PM by wowaboro »

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Re: Heritage PST / 35th Anniversary Limited Edition
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 05:08:19 PM
That's a lot of money for a box and sheath if you already have a PST.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 05:25:59 PM
Aren't you going to open it   :pok:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 05:38:09 PM
Wow.

That's a lot of scratch for something I already have two of. Not a new production, but used, cleaned up parts assembled to make  limited number.

Whatever you do, DO NOT open it. Order a second one nd play with that. Keep this one for 30 years from now.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 05:45:52 PM
Still nothing on the US website that I can find.

Seriously, though, I bet they did a bang-up good job on that new one, though, Wowboro!

Good for you!

If you do decide to open it, please do an inviting and review. I'm curious what they did in the date stamps area.

And I do like the Brown leather sheath. The old ones were very dark brown (almost black), or black. I like the look of this one. Maybe they will start selling some of those sheath to any of us who don't have enough for our PST' s and PSTII' s.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 05:48:52 PM
Also, just saying, the back of that box, if properly preserved, will be like a Rosetta Stone for contemporary languages.

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 05:49:19 PM
Not a new production, but used, cleaned up parts assembled to make  limited number.

I was wrong, when wrote that it's assembled from old stock parts  :facepalm:
It's full new production - new handles (date codes 0717 0717), new pliers, new screwdrivers etc.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 05:54:39 PM
So, Leatherman's doing the PST again?  I found an article on a South African engineering magazine's site--it states that it is a special edition for SA, and limited to 100 pieces,  but at R3600, which is $297--ouch! Like what, 4X what they were original?!

http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article/leatherman-celebrates-35th-anniversary-with-revival-of-original-pocket-survival-tool-2018-01-12-1/rep_id:4136

My question is--will the US have a version?  Hopefully, just like after the Buck 110 50th edition, in which many slightly irregular USA made sheaths were widely available afterward, the reproduction PST sheath will be available for separate purchase.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:15:10 PM by cody6268 »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 06:15:15 PM
Not a new production, but used, cleaned up parts assembled to make  limited number.

It's full new production - new handles (date codes 0717 0717), new pliers, new screwdrivers etc.
Pictures! Are the part identical to the original ones?

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 06:20:25 PM
So, Leatherman's doing the PST again?  I found an article on a South African engineering magazine's site--it states that it is a special edition for SA, and limited to 100 pieces,  but at R3600, which is $297--ouch! Like what, 4X what they were original?!

http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article/leatherman-celebrates-35th-anniversary-with-revival-of-original-pocket-survival-tool-2018-01-12-1/rep_id:4136

My question is--will the US have a version?

This PST is not South Africa's or others special version, it's one global limited edition run. Just now it's available only in Russia (http://www.2win.ru/leatherman/heritage-pst) and South Africa (http://www.awesometools.co.za/product/heritage-pst/). In other countries this PST will be available from tomorrow - that says in article from your link.
MSRP is ~280 USD, but I've got it for 200 USD  :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:46:35 PM by wowaboro »

ru Offline wowaboro

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 06:53:41 PM
That's interesting, it's got the US TM number on it like the old ones, but has the newer blade design... what's going on there?

Beautiful PST and pics by the way!  :tu:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 07:03:31 PM

Amazing! Imagine setting up the tooling and stamp to run these, all that prep work, for just a limited run. But wow. I kind of wanted this day, but full on production for a year or more.

Very nice!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 07:19:32 PM
(Scribbling on yellow lined paper)

Dear Mr. Tim Leatherman,

If you are reading this, I am a big fan of your work. Could you find it in your heart and the company's purse strings to please put the PST back into production, just the way you made this limited run, but not limited. I dare say that this will outsell the Wingman, Sidekick, and most definitely the Rev, possibly all combined, if it comes in at a $50 - $70 price.

Sure it may outsell the more expensive Charge and the Signal, but that would be a matter of price, not quality.

In closing, Mr. Leatherman, if you do this, I personally promise to purchase at least one, but probably two or more, and so will many of my friends.

Plus, I will then believe in Santa Clause again.

Much respect,

ThundahBeagle

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 07:25:56 PM
Son of a motherless goat...

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 07:39:54 PM

Dear Mr. Tim Leatherman,

If you are reading this, I am a big fan of your work. Could you find it in your heart and the company's purse strings to please put the PST back into production, just the way you made this limited run, but not limited. I dare say that this will outsell the Wingman, Sidekick, and most definitely the Rev, possibly all combined, if it comes in at a $50 - $70 price.

Sure it may outsell the more expensive Charge and the Signal, but that would be a matter of price, not quality.

In closing, Mr. Leatherman, if you do this, I personally promise to purchase at least one, but probably two or more, and so will many of my friends.

Much respect,

ThundahBeagle

PS. bring back those beautiful Leather sheaths for all your tools   :poke:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 08:01:42 PM
Nice sheath and signature.

I do find it a bit strange though, since you can still buy the PST new from some shops - I got a new boxed one a couple of years ago for around $50.

If the new one, a re-issue, is worth $200 then the original one, the genuine legendary one, must be worth  at least double, right  :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 08:25:33 PM

Dear Mr. Tim Leatherman,

Much respect,

ThundahBeagle

+1

A "new" PST would be nice, but the return of those real leather sheaths would be a dream ...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if given the choice I would gladly pay (even) more for a new Leatherman with the old style sheath. 

Maybe they should make this an option, if you don't care about the sheath, get the "standard" version, if you want a new Leatherman with an old style sheath, go for the "exclusive" version of the same tool  :pok:.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 08:46:31 PM

Dear Mr. Tim Leatherman,

Much respect,

ThundahBeagle

Well, Ya Ya Ya, what you said, SteveC!

I think I mentioned that in a different post. Maybe that deserves another...

"Dear Mr. Leatherman,

Once again I write. This time - about those leather sheaths..."

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 08:52:38 PM

I do find it a bit strange though, since you can still buy the PST new from some shops - I got a new boxed one a couple of years ago for around $50.

If the new one, a re-issue, is worth $200 then the original one, the genuine legendary one, must be worth  at least double, right  :)

Where are you routinely finding New In Box original PST's? And what color is the sky in that world?

I see them very very infrequently even just with the box and in hardly used condition on eBay.

I agree what a beautiful sheath.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 09:01:21 PM
online shops.

a couple of years ago there was a dealer on ebay selling BO PSTs for 50 dollars. I

even now there are a few for 70 and I would expect shops in the US to have the odd one for sale. I would not consider new PSTs rare, unless they are the Japanese ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rare-Retired-Undated-The-Original-Leatherman-PST-with-Leather-Sheath/122926355548?hash=item1c9efb545c:g:Kc4AAOSwz7NaZNc~
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 09:03:07 PM

Where are you routinely finding New In Box original PST's? And what color is the sky in that world?

I see them very very infrequently even just with the box and in hardly used condition on eBay.

I found one over here in a small outdoor shop.  I noticed they had a PST in the Leatherman display on the side of the counter, turned out they still had the box and all that comes with it (manual and beautiful dark brown real leather sheath, still had the sweet smell of real leather in the box ... :dd: ).

But I think I can safely say that, what I found there, was probably the only original, new in box PST in the entire country ...

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 10:22:07 PM

NIB / BIN $49.99 or offer / Free US shipping
https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Original-Leatherman-PST-Pocket-Survival-Tool-New-in-Box/152876883530?hash=item23982c1e4a:g:jT8AAOSwZ3BaZlBU

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 10:22:34 PM

I found one over here in a small outdoor shop.  I noticed they had a PST in the Leatherman display on the side of the counter, turned out they still had the box and all that comes with it (manual and beautiful dark brown real leather sheath, still had the sweet smell of real leather in the box ... :dd: ).

But I think I can safely say that, what I found there, was probably the only original, new in box PST in the entire country ...
Mission accepted! :salute:

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 10:31:18 PM
Nice, but no love for the PST, got rid of several in the past...
Enjoy!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 10:33:55 PM
The only reasons I can think of for buying this aside from the fact that this is Leathermans Official 35yr release, is the signature and the pouch. The PST is in my view meaningles if,  as already mentioned by others.... it is in fact built from old stock.

The signature I suspect is CNC engraved, which therefore only then leaves the pouch!!

Doubtless the value will treble once stocks have run dry.

I can't make my mind up whether to try and grab one or not  - lol

Chako, you got yours yet?  :pok: :pok:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:37:35 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 10:44:26 PM
The only reasons I can think of for buying this aside from the fact that this is Leathermans Official 35yr release, is the signature and the pouch. The PST is in my view meaningles if,  as already mentioned by others.... it is in fact built from old stock.

The signature I suspect is CNC engraved, which therefore only then leaves the pouch!!

That's just it, Tosh. Wowboro reports that this appears to be all new manufacturing. Granted, anything over $100 USD is highway robbery, but this is a special edition. I still wouldn't pay 2 or 309 for it. I'm saying, I'd pay $50-$70 for a newly minted PST with kickass leather sheath. Hells yeah

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 10:50:10 PM

That's just it, Tosh. Wowboro reports that this appears to be all new manufacturing. Granted, anything over $100 USD is highway robbery, but this is a special edition. I still wouldn't pay 2 or 309 for it. I'm saying, I'd pay $50-$70 for a newly minted PST with kickass leather sheath. Hells yeah

I don't knock Wowboro for buying it, if you're a hardassed LM fan it makes sense. But It just smacks of Victorinox's marketing methods.
I'd much preferred to have seen LM release a Blunt Nosed Surge with a run of 10K. That would have been much more appealing and given everyone a chance to grab a slice of the cake  :drool: :drool:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 11:31:45 PM
Sweet pics wow :o :like: :like:

I really really hope that they make sheaths like this for all theirs tools again :dd: Those types sheaths would be worth at least $20 US if not more :drool:  :like: :like:

Also great to see that it is New Stock and not just old stock being used up :salute:

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 03:00:40 AM
It’s up on their webpage now.....$274

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85