Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Heritage PST / 35th Anniversary Limited Edition

wowaboro · 113 · 12472

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Heritage PST / 35th Anniversary Limited Edition
Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 03:06:00 AM
Call me a cynic, but I can't see me paying that sort of money for a "special, limited edition PST" that IMO has been made simply to generate extra-high profit margins for Leatherman.  And this is someone who has paid for over 127 PSTs (mostly older/unusual variants)

For the same reason I haven't been a big fan any of the recent "anniversary" MTs or special editions (colours, topo blades etc).  I see it as a money-grabbing marketing exercise, and I've decided I'm not playing their game.  But I can see the temptation for those who like to collect the rare and/or unusual, and it appeals to the "completist" as well.  For me it was just a step too far ...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:08:05 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 03:49:32 AM
I wish it wasn't a limited production run. But then again, thre are a lot of things I wish LM was doing.

Like putting skippy in the mailroom where he belongs.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 05:47:53 AM
Oh dear. That is a beauty! I am going to really try and not succumb to its' charm. I just paid off my CC. :ahhh

I will keep chanting....I have three PSTs already..I have three PSTs already..... :drool:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 10:15:14 AM
The only reasons I can think of for buying this aside from the fact that this is Leathermans Official 35yr release, is the signature and the pouch. The PST is in my view meaningles if,  as already mentioned by others.... it is in fact built from old stock.

The signature I suspect is CNC engraved, which therefore only then leaves the pouch!!

Doubtless the value will treble once stocks have run dry.

I can't make my mind up whether to try and grab one or not  - lol

Chako, you got yours yet?  :pok: :pok:

That's just it, Tosh. Wowboro reports that this appears to be all new manufacturing. Granted, anything over $100 USD is highway robbery, but this is a special edition. I still wouldn't pay 2 or 309 for it. I'm saying, I'd pay $50-$70 for a newly minted PST with kickass leather sheath. Hells yeah

I don't knock Wowboro for buying it, if you're a hardassed LM fan it makes sense. But It just smacks of Victorinox's marketing methods.
I'd much preferred to have seen LM release a Blunt Nosed Surge with a run of 10K. That would have been much more appealing and given everyone a chance to grab a slice of the cake  :drool: :drool:

I agree. Snub nosed SURGE!!! Would be a hells of a workhorse

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 10:30:33 AM
Call me a cynic, but I can't see me paying that sort of money for a "special, limited edition PST" that IMO has been made simply to generate extra-high profit margins for Leatherman.  And this is someone who has paid for over 127 PSTs (mostly older/unusual variants)

For the same reason I haven't been a big fan any of the recent "anniversary" MTs or special editions (colours, topo blades etc).  I see it as a money-grabbing marketing exercise, and I've decided I'm not playing their game.  But I can see the temptation for those who like to collect the rare and/or unusual, and it appeals to the "completist" as well.  For me it was just a step too far ...

While the fact that this exists excites me, I am with Grego on this. $275 is absolutely nuts for a tool to me. And very often in life, it is not the official "limited edition" that winds up being valuable or collectible. It is usually the ones that were good that they stopped making, or errors or variants.

I really would love the PST and PSTII back in production, and if this is a completely new piece, that tells me they tooled up for it at some point.

The original sold for about $36 back in 1983 and that translates into almost $90 in today's money. I know the the proper procedure to arrive at a price is to cost it out, but if they offered a new production PST for somewhere between $50 and $70 I'd be on it like white on rice. Or even...(gulp) $90 might be fair. It could do without the signature and special presentation box, but that leather sheath would be a must, and I hope they make a whole run of those, at least.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 10:51:12 AM
I never loved the PST and now have none, but I agree that the price seems steep and I'd rather have Leatherman's time, money and resources invested in bringing back good leather sheaths like this one
 and upgrading their offerings or coming up with new stuff, not recycled models and half-tools or downsized stuff  :-\
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 23, 2018, 10:52:48 AM
That's interesting, it's got the US TM number on it like the old ones, but has the newer blade design... what's going on there?

Beautiful PST and pics by the way!  :tu:

Yes, Fuzzy. Looks like most of the design updates of the later years of the PST are incorporated here. Like the wider plyers head, newer blade type, and the tools opening on the side of the pivot that assists in keeping the tool open when under load (take it easy with the joke there, Fuzz). It's interesting that they incorporated all of those improvements that helped make the PST more useful, when at 300 schmeckles, this will probably stay a shelf queen for most people.

Maybe this limited run is a prelude to a ten thousand strong production to come later.

us Offline David

Reply #37 on: January 23, 2018, 11:37:52 AM
Wow!    :o    274.95 is outrageous. I wont be buying one at that price..
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:40:03 AM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #38 on: January 23, 2018, 01:51:46 PM
It’s up on their webpage now.....$274

:o :o :o
Enjoy!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #39 on: January 23, 2018, 02:09:55 PM
Still cheaper than the LE Damasteel SAKs :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: January 23, 2018, 03:52:22 PM
Wonderful pics and a lovely limited edition tool.  I too like the older thick leather sheath LM produced.  Congrats WOW.
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: January 23, 2018, 04:25:04 PM
Wow!    :o    274.95 is outrageous. I wont be buying one at that price..

I kinda have the feeling in the whole of MTO, only one person owns it..  :pok:

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #42 on: January 23, 2018, 05:04:54 PM

And I'll have to buy another one  :D
I bought "Heritage PST" art. #832518 (paper box, etc), but on LM site now available "Collector's Edition PST" art. #832519 in wooden case, serialized up to 500 on the inside handle, certificate of authenticity signed by Tim Leatherman, collector’s coin and a commemorative t-shirt. 
2 limited variants as like 20th Anniversary Wave  :)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: January 23, 2018, 06:01:51 PM

I bought "Heritage PST" art. #832518 (paper box, etc), but on LM site now available "Collector's Edition PST" art. #832519 in wooden case, serialized up to 500 on the inside handle, certificate of authenticity signed by Tim Leatherman, collector’s coin and a commemorative t-shirt. 

I thought I was crazy to buy a Charge Everest from TTC. U Sir, had brought this to a whole new level... I dun know.. Paying 10x more for a PST seems too "Wow"...

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: January 23, 2018, 06:08:13 PM

I thought I was crazy to buy a Charge Everest from TTC. U Sir, had brought this to a whole new level... I dun know.. Paying 10x more for a PST seems too "Wow"...

That's why he's wowaboro    :D

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: January 23, 2018, 06:09:02 PM

:like: :tu:

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #46 on: January 23, 2018, 06:10:59 PM

As separate items, for usual user, this both PSTs do not have much value.
But as part of my PST collection (more than 140 unique pcs.) this couple is very necessary and not insanely expensive.

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #47 on: January 23, 2018, 06:31:08 PM

But as part of my PST collection (more than 140 unique pcs.) this couple is very necessary and not insanely expensive.

:tu:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 23, 2018, 06:36:49 PM

I can totally understand that.  :like: I bought not one Charge Everest.. I bought 2.. Both BO and SS..  :facepalm:

I am trying to imagine how many 140 pieces will look like. We need some pics!

za Offline EZrider

Reply #49 on: January 23, 2018, 08:08:02 PM

There are two of us now  :cheers:
I just could not resist  :gimme:
My love affair with the PST began when my dad gave me one for Christmas back in 1994. I still have that tool and it is in very good condition.
Although here in South Africa it may take a week or so to arrive.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 23, 2018, 09:13:31 PM
Is Leatherman collectable? As such perhaps the price might be worth it, if you could treat it as an investment. I slightly get the feeling that it won't appreciate though. But then my glass is always half full. :)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: January 24, 2018, 12:59:50 AM
Is Leatherman collectable? As such perhaps the price might be worth it, if you could treat it as an investment. I slightly get the feeling that it won't appreciate though. But then my glass is always half full. :)

You must have never watched large font PSTs, SideClips and Flairs for sale on Ebay :D At varying times some of the odd variants go for silly money :ahhh

us Offline brian7549

Reply #52 on: January 24, 2018, 02:41:20 AM
I ordered mine this morning!!  Very excited about it. Will fit right into my collection.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #53 on: January 24, 2018, 02:45:20 AM

You must have never watched large font PSTs, SideClips and Flairs for sale on Ebay :D At varying times some of the odd variants go for silly money :ahhh

This is true, especially for the orginal Cabela's catalogue PSTs, the early ones with "Leatherman" etched on the main part of the blade, and also the USA "hollow knurled screw" and Japanese "hollow rivet" early PSTs.  Some of the earlier Anniversary editions also seem to attract higher prices.   

Even some Gerbers are now collectible eg MP650 full military kit.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #54 on: January 24, 2018, 05:07:03 AM
I can't agree more about the sheath or a reintroduction of the PST (or PSTII).  For the anniversary, I'd have loved to see one done up in the original '83 version  :dd:  I'd risk homelessness for that!! That sheath is the same shade of brown that my JPST sheath is.  All of my others (and the sheath that came with my Dad's '83) are that dark brown color.  I'd love to find the supplier as I think I'd order a pile just to keep on hand myself!
Barry

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #55 on: January 24, 2018, 07:18:48 AM
Hey and LEATHERMAN USA stamped on the plier head - Not LEATHERMAN TOOL - Yay    :tu:

That law suit always bugged me - But I guess for these PSTs they can guarantee 100% USA made for all components
- I even read that statement in their blurb somewhere
Maybe a small 'yaboo sucks' to the Californian State !!

Yet as someone pointed out above later versions of the tools - wire cutter notch, wider plier head etc - A little inconsistent I think   :o

Really nice collectible for the collectors - Too pricey for me though and I'm with Greg's thoughts on these LEs
- Although I do have a couple of Damascus SAKs - So I'm inconsistent too !! 

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #56 on: January 29, 2018, 01:01:07 PM
So it looks like there are only 500 serialized and boxed collector editions, but I wonder how many of the 'heritage' models they have produced? I think the price is not too bad for the collector version if there are in fact only 500, that is a very limited amount. They may have produced a lot more of the 'heritage' PSTs though, even if it's 20,000, it can still be considered limited, but the price on those starts to look way too high as the production amount increases. We will probably be seeing those sell for under $200 pretty soon if there were a ton of them made. Like it has been said elsewhere on the forum, it's a dated design and there are better choices nowadays. I'm also in the 'user' camp, and I still have an old Marly PST that is virtually like new, so if there is no user OR investment value, I will probably pass it by. Still, the collector version looks pretty sweet from a nostalgia point of view.  :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: January 29, 2018, 03:44:07 PM
I'm not as voracious a collector as I once was.  The price for the limited to 500 pcs doesnt seem out of line.  I thinks its terrific for the serious collector and those with extensive PST collections.  I'd be all over this if I was as active as I was early on.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #58 on: January 29, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
I can always find room for a PST but I'm looking for an early one.  I like this one but want to save up for a vintage model :D
Barry

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #59 on: January 29, 2018, 10:01:37 PM
Kind of surprised at how the poll thread is going. https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75604.0.html

There seems to be a lot of LM collectors here, and there's only 500 of the collector editions. There must be more than 500 collectors who would like to have the serialized version, and at the time of this post only 2 MTOers admit to getting this? I guess it's buy now at $275 or wait until they hit fleaBay at $400+, and no T shirt, or at least not the right size. I thought the die hard LM guys would be all over this and they would be sold out by now.  ???

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%