Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why is the saw not included in the SAK Soldier/Pioneer?

us Offline Zhenchok

If the soldier knife is really used by soldiers, wouldn't they need a saw to survive in the field? I don't understand why its not a tool included in this model.  It would not really make the model thicker either. I own the solider/Pioneer and feel like if this was a knife a soldier used they would want a saw, it almost feels too small without one.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:23:10 PM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Re: Why is the saw not included in the SAK Soldier/Pioneer?
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 08:26:10 PM
I got rid of my alox Soldiers, never liked them anyway, imo they should have issued Farmers from the beginning (I like saws, obviously).

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 08:28:50 PM
I got rid of my alox Soldiers, never liked them anyway, imo they should have issued Farmers from the beginning (I like saws, obviously).

I agree, the Farmer seems like a heftier knife and more practical if you are soldier.
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 08:53:15 PM
The newer 08 soldier has a pretty good saw.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 10:04:24 PM
The newer 08 soldier has a pretty good saw.
Indeed...
So they did add it later on.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 03:04:14 AM
As I understand it, though, the new Vic Soldier was originally the German Army Knife upgrade, later adopted by the Swiss as their new Soldier knife.

And the GERMAN army knife has had a saw for a while. The older 108mm GAK goes back to 1976, according to the SAKwiki.

EDIT: and the One Hand German Army Knife was essentially a one-hand opening version of the already existing Trekker.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:06:34 AM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 03:34:14 AM
Is the SAK saw a great saw? Yes, for it's size. As a bushcraft and wood working tool, it works well, but it's too small for serious "survival" tasks, which you honestly don't often encounter as part of a whole smurfing army of guys. The spec was to give every soldier the most minimal, basic toolset needed for daily tasks (equipment and weapons maintenance, and eating), and if he needed an axe there were pioneers tools on almost every vehicle and saws and axes were issued as needed. Besides, I bet the saws were more expensive if in the 50s when the Alox Soldat replaced the old wood handled one that had been around since Queen Victoria's day, and had the same functions.

I'd also say look at every other knife that is it's peer in time. "Scout" type knives, no saw. The "Demo" knife we issued, no saw. The British and French knives of the day, no saw.

Me, I'd have wanted the saw AND a file. And red anodized scales- easy way to tell the recruits and it's easier to see if you drop it in snow.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 05:41:01 PM
Knives for soldiers have to be sturdy, SIMPLE, and as cheap as possible. Only a century ago soldiers died by the millions in Flanders Fields, Russia and so on. Not to forget WW2... Can you image if they all would have had high tec multitools? Then the military forces would have lost millions of good knives and multitools! Knives made of costly steel. In wartime these knives would have been irreplaceable.

The Swiss never participated in wars (except for some post Middle Age quarrels between themselves and a few ancient kings or so  ;)). If Switzerland would have been attacked, the army would have withdrawn mainly into the mountain regions, which were/are considered to be invincible for any foreign army. Many, maybe most of the defensive actions would have taken place above treeline level. And guess what? Above treeline level there are no trees, so no need to have a saw on your pocket knife!

Wow, it took me a lot of non-alcohol based fantasy to come up with this theory... :facepalm:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 06:25:47 PM
Knives for soldiers have to be sturdy, SIMPLE, and as cheap as possible. Only a century ago soldiers died by the millions in Flanders Fields, Russia and so on. Not to forget WW2... Can you image if they all would have had high tec multitools? Then the military forces would have lost millions of good knives and multitools! Knives made of costly steel. In wartime these knives would have been irreplaceable.

The Swiss never participated in wars (except for some post Middle Age quarrels between themselves and a few ancient kings or so  ;)). If Switzerland would have been attacked, the army would have withdrawn mainly into the mountain regions, which were/are considered to be invincible for any foreign army. Many, maybe most of the defensive actions would have taken place above treeline level. And guess what? Above treeline level there are no trees, so no need to have a saw on your pocket knife!

Wow, it took me a lot of non-alcohol based fantasy to come up with this theory... :facepalm:

And yet, it rings true...

;) :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Zhenchok

Why is the saw not included in the SAK Soldier/Pioneer?
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 02:47:38 AM

And yet, it rings true...

Seems legit

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%