Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I'm all SAK now!

cbl51 · 46 · 4436

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
I'm all SAK now!
on: January 23, 2018, 03:00:20 PM
It's been heading that way for some years now, the slow weeding out of what I carry and use. But along side that, has been the weeding out of what I actually own. Now as an old fart, I've become extremely pragmatic, and I don't even want to own something I don't use on a regular basis. My gun collection got weeded out many years ago with the bulk them sold off and kept just my favorite few. Tool collection also went. Now I'n down to just a small handful of SAK's for pocket knife use. The sole exception is my two Opinels. I've always loved the funky old design of the Opinel, not to mention they cut like the dickens.

I feel very liberated. The Northwoods and Buck stockmen are gone as is the peanut, the Baker penknife, the Gerber lock blade, the Case Barlow and trapper.

Looking back on all that knife collection thing, it is like waking up for some kind of temporary insanity  and wondering what the hell I was doing. Now all my pocket knife duties are handled like with a SAK, and I find myself wishing I'd never got involved with all those other knives that were all a one trick pony. Shallow one dimensional things.

I think I'll go out and get a Victorinox tattoo! :D
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: I'm all SAK now!
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 03:08:04 PM
I totally get your post.  I haven't weeded out my extras yet, but I do know that I started with SAK, went astray, then came back to SAK.
I've always appreciated the multi-tool aspect of the SAK.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 03:26:57 PM
SAKs are just too practical not to keep one handy. A big congratulations, cbl51, on simplifying your tool set and life. I keep toying with the same idea.  :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 03:32:13 PM
I pretty sure I'll always have a SAK in my pocket.  Its hard to beat such a beast of a tool. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 04:24:15 PM
I've basically been that way myself for a few years.  An EDC pioneer with 2 backups in case I lose it.  A few swisstool spirits, one in each car and one in the house. A couple of alox classics, one on each keyring.  I also have a sentimental BSA huntsman from the mid 90's, a one hand sentinel and a modified opinel no 6 with olive wood handles.

I do wish there was one hand opening, locking knife that had the rugged build of something like a spyderco, but with the people friendly qualities of a SAK.  The one hand sentinel is close, but I just don't care for the plastic handles.  I could replace them with G10 or something, but I don't really know how to do that without covering the rivets permanently which I don't like.  If it ever gets loose, I like being able to peen it back.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 05:50:16 PM
Good to see you back again, Carl!

:cheers:

I think we all knew you'd do this, sooner or later. Your faithfull Classic was the only constant in your EDC and you did most of the daily tasks with it.

Well done!

:hatsoff:

I might manage to do the same some day. Come to think of it, most of my collection are just shelf queens, anyway...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 05:51:48 PM
The only non-SAKs I have are gifts from other members, so they will stay with me.  But I'm a knight through and through  :SAKnight:  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 07:05:35 PM
Good to see you back again, Carl!

:cheers:

I think we all knew you'd do this, sooner or later. Your faithfull Classic was the only constant in your EDC and you did most of the daily tasks with it.

Well done!

:hatsoff:

I might manage to do the same some day. Come to think of it, most of my collection are just shelf queens, anyway...

Hi old buddy!!!

Yeah, it seemed like the little classic outlasted my stockman, the peanut, and the sodbuster phases and all the other non SAK knives in my humble existence. It seemed like anytime I carried that nice Northwoods stockman, or my Buck stockman, or the Case peanut, fate would inevitably through a loose screw, or small field repair in my way. Like the time I had to fix the trolling motor at the far end of a very long winding lake with a SAK. Or the time My Vespa motor scooter conked out dead in the middle of nowhere and I needed a screw driver to fix a bad connection. Or the time that Pearl, The Wonder Corgi, got a thorn stuck way up between the pads of her paw and the SAK tweezers saved the day. Or a zillion other times I needed a tool.

Yes, I could carry a SAK in addition to the "other" knives, but that got on my nerves. I'm not going to carry two pocket knives when there's one that will do it all. Those Northwoods, and GEC's are nice, but I'm long past the stage of life that I covet collector grade stuff and horde safe queens. If I don't have a use of fit in my everyday life, and if it's not useful in many ways in my every day life, I ain't gonna own it. There's been periods in my life that I strayed from the SAK fold, beguiled by the tie jigged bone of a Case, or the smooth rosewood of a Northwoods, or the drop dead gorgeous stag of a Puma folding hunter. But in the end, they were the one trick ponies that  when I needed a bottle opener, or a screw driver, or a awl, or scissors, their gorgeous looks didn't count for squat.

I've come back the silver cross and I'm here to stay! And I'll swear to that on the hilt of my well worn old war horse Wenger SI.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 07:14:08 PM
Enjoyed reading that  :salute: (as I have an executive, SI, and manager with me today)... And now speculating that El Climber plus would have been adequate, minus a file....  You just wait til i put a file hook on El Climber... Then we'll awl behold the perfect SAK  >:D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 01:59:57 AM
Welcome back o>
As a folding knife enthusiast I must display a short moment of angry to anyone who owned a Case, Northwood or any GEC. They are hard to come by in EU afaik.

But I must say SAK kind of fits the bill for most EDC.

About Spyderco one hand opening etc. I got a teacher and the material was surprisingly nice. I was expecting a much more plastic feeling. If you want to do some scales on your own then it should be doable. I've done with wood myself. I imagine it should work with g10 too. Drill a hole slightly too small for the bushings, even out the bottom with a screw inserted instead of a drill to make the bottom of the hole flat the use a vice to force them on. There are some vids on YouTube too. Just use mouth cover as g10 is very bad on your lungs.

If you want another option, go with the Victorinox hunter pro with wood handle.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 01:39:48 PM
Hey, Carl! Hi!
Long time no see, here and on BladeForums you definitely took your time away to meditate, and enjoy life. Good for you  :salute:

It was obvious the end of your downsizing journey was nigh, and that sooner or later you'd pop up here to tell us that you're done with the "disease" that affects us here.  :D
Just one question, out of pure curiosity: not long ago you praised the Squirt and its versatility, and commented recently about how useful is it for its size and its capabilities beyond what you'd expect in that tiny package.
I agree with you and also recommended it to the people hesitating about getting one, like the recent thread on BF,
so,
did you also get rid of it? If so, I hope the poor Squirt went to a new, appreciative owner   :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 02:10:55 PM
Hey, Carl! Hi!
Long time no see, here and on BladeForums you definitely took your time away to meditate, and enjoy life. Good for you  :salute:

It was obvious the end of your downsizing journey was nigh, and that sooner or later you'd pop up here to tell us that you're done with the "disease" that affects us here.  :D
Just one question, out of pure curiosity: not long ago you praised the Squirt and its versatility, and commented recently about how useful is it for its size and its capabilities beyond what you'd expect in that tiny package.
I agree with you and also recommended it to the people hesitating about getting one, like the recent thread on BF,
so,
did you also get rid of it? If so, I hope the poor Squirt went to a new, appreciative owner   :tu:

No, the classic gets swapped out often for the squirt because of the greater capability. But my pocketknife is now always a SAK. All my non SAK pocketknives are gone with he exception of the Opinel's. When I say all SAK, that means I will no longer be owning any stockman, Barlow, trapper, penknife or any dedicated knife. Just the SAK, with the little Leatherman squirt in the mix. Like Imay carry one day a Vic recruit and a squirt, or a Vic waiter or bantam and a squirt. To me it's now all about the tools. I only need one knife blade to get though my day, but being retired I'm doing more fishing, shooting, and house tinkering than ever before. Having a small array of tools on me to deal with fishing reels, guns, and replacing a light switch here or a washer in a sink there, I find my need for tools has actually increased. The blade on a classic takes care of most my needs, but a few different screw drivers and pliers makes a huge difference.

I don't need that many knives, one or two sharp blade is good. But screws common large and small, flat and Phillips, and sometimes my old fumble fingers need small pliers to grasp something and pull.

So to put it more accuritely I'm all SAK now except for a small multitool. No more "other" knives like they drool over on blade forums. And if I need a weapon, that's what my walking sticks and gun is for. I will admit that I felt a big pang of "should I do this?" when it came to giving away my Northwoods stockman, but I went and fondled my old and trusted Wenger SI and got over it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:13:13 PM by cbl51 »

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 02:36:33 PM
For the most part I am with you with only one chink in the armor, but it is a big one. Single blade locking Bucks, particularly those made around the 110 mechanism, but liner locks as well. Not sure why because I' m juse not interested in any other brand, Case, Schrade, Camillus just don't do it. I can not explain the weakness for Buck, so I just accept it and go on. Kind of like your Opileals.
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 02:52:22 PM
I can not explain the weakness for Buck, so I just accept it and go on.

Because sometimes nothing feels as good as a big solid knife.

After doing a few challenges, I agree with cbl51 that a SAK can be a "do all" pocketknife to some degree, I'd never be without one. But the capability and safety of a large locking knife is impressive and shouldn't be overlooked. My two cents, anyway.  :cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 05:11:19 PM
Enjoyed reading that  :salute: (as I have an executive, SI, and manager with me today)... And now speculating that El Climber plus would have been adequate, minus a file....  You just wait til i put a file hook on El Climber... Then we'll awl behold the perfect SAK  >:D
Use a compact?? :shrug:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 05:13:22 PM
Luckely I only bought around 3 Leatherman tools and about 2 fixed blades before I realised that SAKs were the only tools I really liked.

Sold off all my Leatherman's apart from my Charge AL, that one is just too handy...

Now I just need to sell off those fixed blades...

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 05:47:04 PM
Luckely I only bought around 3 Leatherman tools and about 2 fixed blades before I realised that SAKs were the only tools I really liked.

Sold off all my Leatherman's apart from my Charge AL, that one is just too handy...

Now I just need to sell off GAW those fixed blades...

FTFY...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 06:53:22 PM
Is it just me hearing this in the background?

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 07:24:50 PM
Not anymore...

:kirky:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 08:07:43 PM
Hey, Carl! Hi!

so,

No, the classic gets swapped out often for the squirt because of the greater capability. But my pocketknife is now always a SAK. All my non SAK pocketknives are gone with he exception of the Opinel's. When I say all SAK, that means I will no longer be owning any stockman, Barlow, trapper, penknife or any dedicated knife. Just the SAK, with the little Leatherman squirt in the mix. Like Imay carry one day a Vic recruit and a squirt, or a Vic waiter or bantam and a squirt. To me it's now all about the tools. I only need one knife blade to get though my day, but being retired I'm doing more fishing, shooting, and house tinkering than ever before. Having a small array of tools on me to deal with fishing reels, guns, and replacing a light switch here or a washer in a sink there, I find my need for tools has actually increased. The blade on a classic takes care of most my needs, but a few different screw drivers and pliers makes a huge difference.

I don't need that many knives, one or two sharp blade is good. But screws common large and small, flat and Phillips, and sometimes my old fumble fingers need small pliers to grasp something and pull.

So to put it more accuritely I'm all SAK now except for a small multitool. No more "other" knives like they drool over on blade forums. And if I need a weapon, that's what my walking sticks and gun is for. I will admit that I felt a big pang of "should I do this?" when it came to giving away my Northwoods stockman, but I went and fondled my old and trusted Wenger SI and got over it.

OK, that was misreading by my  part, I got it wrong.
Yes, "single trick ponies" are just not worth it unless you've got a real need for them (activities such as climbing, some types of work and trades...) for most of us. It's really all "fun, toys and convenience" in one package that can become dangerously expensive and addicting,

and I also believe that most of us here know how bad would be carrying and using a quick deploying, "tactical" knife for the purpose of avoiding harm. That's why we carry sprays, canes, or most likely a good pair of shoes!  :D
(PS: Still waiting for Gaston to appear someday with his concealed combat dagger and get up close and personal huh?  :rofl:)

I'd still like you to be around here and comment from time to time, one always learns something useful from your thoughts  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 08:21:41 PM
Hey, Carl! Hi!

so,

OK, that was misreading by my  part, I got it wrong.
Yes, "single trick ponies" are just not worth it unless you've got a real need for them (activities such as climbing, some types of work and trades...) for most of us. It's really all "fun, toys and convenience" in one package that can become dangerously expensive and addicting,

and I also believe that most of us here know how bad would be carrying and using a quick deploying, "tactical" knife for the purpose of avoiding harm. That's why we carry sprays, canes, or most likely a good pair of shoes!  :D
(PS: Still waiting for Gaston to appear someday with his concealed combat dagger and get up close and personal huh?  :rofl:)

I'd still like you to be around here and comment from time to time, one always learns something useful from your thoughts  :tu:

YES! Would just love to meet up with the gaston. I've tired PM'ing him, emailing him too avail.

I'm going to make a whole separate post about the very beginning of my quest to reduce my stuff, that all started on a trip to Costa Rica.

It was a lesson in the extremes.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 08:40:40 PM

Now I just need to sell off GAW those fixed blades...

FTFY...

:whistle:
If I had the funds to send it as a box anywhere in the world, I would...
Sadly we're still working on the house and need cash elsewhere.

Every time I get another SAK, I get the evil eye...

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: January 25, 2018, 02:38:50 PM
really looking forward to your downsizing thread.
We (and I, for sure) could learn many things about that   :D
My toys:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 04:14:07 PM
These tools and knives are such beauties that I cannot even use them much, out of fear that they're gonna get scratched, become blunt etc... I don't feel like that when it comes to LM or Gerbers, for example. Those feel like they can handle all the tough jobs one can throw at them but the shiny, delicate looking SAKS, I feel like the most aggressive thing I can (and should) do to them is peeling oranges...

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 12:04:13 AM
Use 'em. Use 'em, good. They'll make more.   :viking:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 01:16:39 AM
Use 'em. Use 'em, good. They'll make more.   :viking:

+1 :like:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 01:36:21 AM
Mr. Carl, I cannot believe that you got rid of your Peanut.  Your small knife obsession dates back to the early days.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 03:06:06 AM
I used to have quite a LM collection (rebar, crunch, crater c33t) but I ended up cutting them all loose and just have a Vic Spirit and I'm not sure I could go back. Mrs TJ has a classic and super tinker as well. The only LM I have is one of the little number pocket tools which stays stashed in my wallet.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 04:27:43 AM
Mr. Carl, I cannot believe that you got rid of your Peanut.  Your small knife obsession dates back to the early days.

(Image removed from quote.)

Well, believe it!

All my other knvieshave gone to other owners. I still am a small knife champion. My Vic recruit has a small blade as well as the tools I find handy to have on a daily basis. My last peanut, the little Remington/Camillus made peanut has gone to my granddaughter who loves it.

I got tired of having too much stuff lugging around in my pockets. If I carry a dedicated knife, then Have to have the p-38 and keychain screw driver in my wallet. Or I had to have a SAK on hand. I just got tired of lugging mourned all that stuff when a SAK covers all my basis. Screw driver? SAK has it. Can opener? SAK has it. Awl? SAK has it. and so on...

I've reached a stage in my life where I don't have time for one trick ponies anymore.

Edit to add; I've done the same thing wth my gun collection. Having come to the realization that I am not going to war with a drug cartel or the hells angels, I've cut WAY. back on the guns I own. I Can actually carry all my guns at one time now. Since I only kept three handguns, that's not hard. I just don't need all that crap in my life. It's soooooooooo liberating.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 04:49:18 AM by cbl51 »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 06:13:57 PM
These tools and knives are such beauties that I cannot even use them much, out of fear that they're gonna get scratched, become blunt etc... I don't feel like that when it comes to LM or Gerbers, for example. Those feel like they can handle all the tough jobs one can throw at them but the shiny, delicate looking SAKS, I feel like the most aggressive thing I can (and should) do to them is peeling oranges...

Oranges?! ORANGES?!

Show content

The acid! NOOOO!!!!

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD