Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lets talk about firearms and air guns.

Chako · 133 · 9103

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Lets talk about firearms and air guns.
Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 06:12:23 AM
Chako... aren't you CANADIAN? I thought only us Americans had that many guns.

Malcolm Reynolds: "Jayne, how many weapons you plan on bringing? You only got the two arms."
Jayne Cobb: "I just get excitable as to choice. Like to have my options open."

:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 12:25:02 PM
According to this article...

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2015/12/04/news/how-american-gun-deaths-and-gun-laws-compare-canadas

Canada has only 7 million registered firearms in 2011. With the scrapping of the long gun registry, that number only accounts for prohibited and restricted firearms. In some parts of Canada, where hunting is a big deal, there are plenty of long guns in folks houses.

Fact is, Canadians are fond of firearms somewhat like our southern neighbours...just that our gun laws are more restrictive. Everything up here is a lot more expensive as well. I get a flyer  on a weekly basis from Dunhams, a hardware store in Sault Michigan. I :rant: at the price differences. I would have an AR 15 type rifle if I could, but they are super expensive in Canada, and I just can't justify having one at the prices they run up here.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:28:31 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #32 on: January 29, 2018, 12:39:48 PM
Hi Chako,

Have you got your airguns registered as firearms?

Mark
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: January 29, 2018, 12:56:57 PM
Hi Chako,

Have you got your airguns registered as firearms?

Mark

Only airguns that shoot in excess of 500 feet per second require a license.  The registry, even when it was in effect was largely voluntary.  I recall when it was introduced, and the (then) PM came on TV and announced it, then a few days later the head of the RCMP (main law enforcement organization in Canada) came on TV and basically said "Yeah, no... we aren't going to enforce that...."

The concept was that police officers responding to domestic issues would know in advance that there were firearms in the house, but the reality is that in these situations kitchen knives and other improvised weapons are a much greater concern.  Especially since the storage of firearms in Canada requires that ammunition be stored in a separate, locked box from the locked box that the firearms are kept in.  No police officer lets someone involved in a domestic disturbance out of their sight for the five minutes it would take someone to leave the room, open a gun safe, select a gun, open the ammunition safe, load the gun and come back.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: January 30, 2018, 05:33:01 AM
No need. Only restricted and prohibited firearms need to be registered.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 05:51:23 AM
Episode 15: Browning Buckmark Hunter handgun in .22LR.

when I first got into firearms, everything I read told me that I should start out small, as in .22LR small. The rational was that the ammunition would be cheap, and the recoil is nothing...the perfect range gun to get your form down path. With that in mind, I bought this beautiful Browning Buckmark Hunter. I soon found out that I would move up to 9 mm in no time, and consequently, I only shot this beauty twice so far.

When I bought it, I also wanted a red dot sight. The handgun only came with one clip, and sourcing another pair was a bit difficult. For some unknown reason, it took me almost a year to get them from the local gun shop. That also put a damper on my shooting the handgun much.

With that all said, this is a sweet shooter. I plan on shooting this more this coming summer.

Pros:
- semi automatic in .22LR
- fits the hand nicely and is a natural pointer
- action is smooth as silk
- a looker with wooden handles and that golden trigger
- fiber optic front sights

Cons:
- magazines in some locations are hard to get

Overall:
The Buckmark Hunter with its heavy 7 1/4" bull barrel with wooden grips make a great target pistol. What is there not to like. I just feel a bit ashamed I haven't taken this beauty out more often.

A few links for you...

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/buck-mark-pistols.html

http://www.guns.com/2014/03/13/browning-buckmark-30-years-plinking-excellence-video/

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 06:28:32 AM
Episode 16: Smith & Wesson M&P in 9 mm.

This generation 1 handgun took me away from the Buckmark. I entered the world of handguns so that I could compete in IPSC. It looked interesting and a bucket load of fun. I knew the Buckmark I had just purchased wouldn't be able to compete once I looked into the competition. I wanted something I could start off with. After talking with the local gun shop, they sold me this 9 mm in a range kit, which came with a loader, one magazine belt holder, a Blackhawk holster, and 3 magazines. With such a meager set, I was off. Because I wanted to compete, I had to practice with the M&P, which took time away from the Buckmark. It wasn't soon before I found out I needed a whole lot more magazines, and a few more magazine belt holders.

Because you can only have 10 rounds in a handgun in Canada, the magazines tended to be a bit on the pricey side. They averaged around 45 dollars each...so it took me a little time to get a total of 8 magazines.

The M&P does come with a small picatinny rail for a laser or flashlight. Of course, you can also install the ever present K-BAR pistol bayonet.  :rofl:

I decided on the M&P over a Glock because it just felt superior in the hand. The M&P comes with 3 palm straps that will contour the handle to fit your hand. It just felt more ergonomic to the Glocks I tried. Both are striker fired, and both feature a lot of polymer in their construction.,

I also found the serrations on the slide easier to grip.

I used the M&P for my first season of IPSC. I quickly found out that I didn't much care for the Glocks or the M&P after trying a CZ made out of metal. Polymer guns are soulless in my opinion. Well that is just my opinion.

Pros:
- ergonomics

Cons:
- Polymer construction
- magazine price

Overall:
I have a bit of a love hate relationship with this pistol. It is super comfortable in the hands. I however, never could get much accuracy with this handgun. Mind you, I had just started shooting, so my form was terrible. I still played a lot in trying to get this gun to hit what I was aiming at. I eventually figured out that I had to aim my front blade below my intended target. The feel of this gun with its recoil due to its light weight...just never endeared myself to it. I should take this gun out now that I haven't fired it in over 2 years. Maybe my opinions might change now that I have a bit of experience under my belt. I also found that I had to paint the S&W symbols on the underside of my magazines a colour because this is a popular gun, with plenty of folks shooting the same magazines. I wanted to be able to distinguish them from others...which proved a good idea. I have always wanted to upgrade the sights to night sights. Maybe that would make them more visible than the standard white dots. I just might do this in the future and take this one back to the gun range and get re-acquainted with it. Just maybe I might like this more than I did when I first started shooting handguns.

A link for you...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/03/18/mp9-review/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 06:37:10 AM by Chako »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #37 on: January 30, 2018, 06:31:57 AM
The Buckmark: When I did my ccw qualification, I shot a one-ragged-hole 10-shot group with a Buckmark at 7 yards. I agree with the 'natural pointer'. I put this pistol up there with the Baretta Neos, Ruger Mark (I, II, or III), and such for comfortable shooters.

And oh, look, up there a few guns back, a 10/22. The 10/22 might be my favorite all time gun. My most accomplished shot ever was hitting a 22 casing at 20 yards with a 10/22, lying prone, open sights. That was on the second try. Best to stop after that, so as not to show how much of the feat was luck. And today, I'm not even sure I could SEE a 22 casing at 20 yards. LOL

Oh man, that 'bayonet' on the M&P.  :rofl:
 The natural point of aim on the M&P is much better for me than a Glock. And I find them otherwise the same in function, so I prefer the M&Ps.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: January 30, 2018, 07:09:01 AM
Episode 17: Norinco 1911A1 Sport in .45 ACP.

For my second year competing in IPSC, I wanted to change my M&P to something heavier and all metal. I found this Norinco 1911A1 in matte chrome that fit the bill. When I first got the handgun, it was the first time I held a 1911. What a natural pointer, and talk about a comfortable pointer. My accuracy increased right off the bat. In fact, the 1911 is such a pointer that I just had to aim and it would hit where I wanted.

I had to find a holster, and of course the mag belt carriers and magazines. I can say that the weakness with the 1911 is the magazines. I bought a medley of different magazines and found for the most part, they all worked effortlessly. I unfortunately did buy a few 7 round magazines which I quickly figured wasn't as good as the 8 rounders for competition. I even bought a 10 round magazine for this pistol but didn't like that it stuck out so much from the bottom of the hand-grip. I eventually just bought a tool box with foam inserts to fit everything in...which worked great.

I really like my Norinco 1911A1. It features competition magazine release, as well as extra large safety, etc. The fiber optic sight was far superior to those found on the M&P. With that said, towards the end of my second season, the front sight flew off during a competition to never be seen again. I had to call the place I ordered the handgun online from and they sent me two front sights. A visit to the gun smith ensured that the new fiber optic front sight will never take a leave of absence again.

I didn't like the rubber hand-grips so I found a pair of fancy handmade mother of pearl grips online. yeah, I be pimping on the range.  :rofl:

Pros:
- sweet ergonomics
- all metal construction fits me better than polymer
- I have yet found any .45 ACP ammunition that this handgun doesn't like
- fiber optic front site a plus

Cons:
- magazines are this handguns weakness. find a model that works for your handgun
- my front sight wasn't properly wedged the first time

Overall:
All I can say is that the 1911 is a great design. Many people do have feeding issues with this type of handgun, and most of the issues come from the magazines. I have found that some work better than others. Just find what works best and stick with that model of magazine. The 1911A1 is a natural pointer, and its weight soaks up recoil. In fact, I find my 9 mm M&P has more felt recoil than this 45. John Browning knew how to design great geometry, and the 1911 is the most natural pointing handgun I have tried yet. It just feels like an extension to your arm. My scored increased dramatically with this handgun.  A lot of folks joke that the 1911 is high tech...back in 1911. That may be true, but its design is just perfect, at least in my opinion.

A few links for you...

http://www.browning.com/news/articles/history-of-the-1911-pistol.html

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2015/05/the-history-and-legacy-of-the-1911-pistol/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:17:53 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: January 30, 2018, 07:22:41 AM
Yes, a handgun bayonet...who comes up with this stuff?  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: January 30, 2018, 12:44:34 PM
Episode 18: Smith & Wesson 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum in .357 Magnum.

After having my front sight on the Norinco fly off never to be seen, I was in a bit of a quandary for the next IPSC season. By this time, I had wanted to use a revolver seeing that nobody at the club used one.I found this fantastic revolver at the local gun shop used. After looking at it, and trying it, it was an immediate buy. It had everything I wanted, a long barrel, and most importantly, the sweetest trigger I have ever felt on any revolver, and at that time, I was looking into purchasing a new one from Ruger, S&W, or Taurus. After doing some research on it, I had a very rare model indeed. The previous owner had used this on Silhouettes and had a marvelous trigger job done on the handgun. Double action feels just a tad heavier than single action, but not by much. The 6" barrel also features a 4 position Silhouette adjustable front sight, making this one rare S&W if what I gleamed off of the official S&W forums told me was right. This sight was mostly added to the longer 8 3/" barrel, and is apparently rare for having it on the 6" barrel.

The trigger pull did sell me on this handgun. I have since checked the trigger pull and it is amazing. It breaks at around the 4 pound pull for double action. Around 2 pounds for single action. This is an amazing light trigger, and I have found this 586 to be really awesome on the IPSC course of fire.

I have only shot 357 magnum ammunition through it, even for competition. As some of you may know, if the handgun is designated to be capable of shooting 357 magnums, you can also shoot lighter 38 specials through it. Unfortunately, I have found locally that both ammunition are exactly the same price. Might as well shoot magnum loads since there is no saving in money with the 38 specials, which should be cheaper to buy.

This used S&W 586 already came with packmayr grips.

The S&W 686 is identical to the 586, except of being blued, the 686 features a stainless finish.

Pros:
- S&W quality
- that amazing trigger pull modified by the previous owner
- nice weight that gobbles a lot of recoil

Cons:
- in my neck of the woods, it was almost impossible to source a competition holster as revolvers aren't all that popular anymore in Canada

Overall:
I was able to find plenty of used and thus cheap speed loaders along with a Silhouette storage case that features an upper tray for bullet speed loading. I got very lucky there. Sourcing a competition holster tool a very long time. Not many folks use revolvers at my club. They all own them, but that was back in the day. I like being different on the IPSC course, and having great fun. Speed loading a revolver is as much fun as I can think about in IPSC competition. Whereas everyone has 10 rounds in their semi-automatics, I get 6. Consequently I need and use a good 12 speed-loaders. Finding this particular gun tweaked for Silhouette competition was a fantastic find. I have tried other club members revolvers and have found the double action to be a lot heavier and noticeable. This 586 is my current competition gun, but am thinking of maybe going back to the M&P, or the Norinco to shuffle things up seeing that I have full IPSC rigs for those as well.

Some links for you...

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2015/08/smith-wesson-357-magnum-revolver/

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2013/03/smith-wesson-model-586-357-mag/

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:46:17 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: January 30, 2018, 01:04:19 PM
Episode 19: Cimarron Plinkerton Single Action Army in .22LR.

I bought this gun used minus the .22 Magnum cylinder. I was ok with that however as I was only looking for a revolver that shot cheap as dirt .22LR ammunition. This SAA did not disappoint.

I did however fall in love with the single action army by using this handgun. I guess I like the simplicity of operation. Half cock the hammer will allow you to freely spin the chambers for loading and unloading. There is a shell ejector under the barrel via spring action. Open the loading gate, spin the cylinder and eject each shell individually. Gives you some time to think about other things while doing the job.

My copy came with plastic grips which are comfortable.

This is a great little single action army revolver. Not much more I can say about it.

Pros:
- uses cheap .22LR ammunition
- historical aspect of the firearm a plus for me

Cons:
- I now wished my copy came with the .22 Magnum cyclinder

Overall:
This is what I call a gateway gun. I was so impressed with the feel, and general operation of the SAA that I went and bought something a bit more powerful. That this gun shoots .22LR makes this an all day range shooter, perfect for plinking, which the model name suggests nicely.

Some links for you...

http://www.guns.com/review/cimarron-plinkerton-22/

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: January 30, 2018, 01:19:10 PM
Episode 20: Uberti Chisholm Single Action Army in .45 Long Colt.

After buying the Plinkerton, I wanted something a bit bigger. I couldn't find a Colt in my neck of the woods, but I did find this Uberti that http://fit the bill especially considering that the .45 Long Colt is a fairly largish cartridge. What I did not know is that most if not all modern .45 Long Colt cartridges are of lighter"Cowboy" loads for those who like to compete at Cowboy shooting. I only learned this after purchasing the firearm. It still gives a satisfying jolt when fired...so I am not complaining. I have been thinking of putting pearl grips on this...I think it would contrast nicely with the matte black finish.

My example is matte black with a case hardened hammer.

If the Plinkerton is fun to shoot, well, this one is even more fun to shoot. I have found that the fun quotient also increases in price as well. A box of .45 Long Colts run around 50 dollars up here in Canada.

Pros:
- SAA all the way
- fires with great authority

Cons:
- ammunition is a bit pricey

Overall:
Now this is how I thought a SAA would feel in use. What is there not to like other than feeding it is a bit expensive. I now have the tooling to reload these in the future. That should make this handgun a bit cheaper to use in the long run.

Some links for you...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a23685/colt-single-action/

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.ca/2010/06/revolver-colt-single-action-army-aka.html

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #43 on: January 30, 2018, 01:39:35 PM
Episode 20: Uberti Chisholm Single Action Army in .45 Long Colt.

After buying the Plinkerton, I wanted something a bit bigger. I couldn't find a Colt in my neck of the woods, but I did find this Uberti that http://fit the bill especially considering that the .45 Long Colt is a fairly largish cartridge. What I did not know is that most if not all modern .45 Long Colt cartridges are of lighter"Cowboy" loads for those who like to compete at Cowboy shooting. I only learned this after purchasing the firearm. It still gives a satisfying jolt when fired...so I am not complaining. I have been thinking of putting pearl grips on this...I think it would contrast nicely with the matte black finish.

My example is matte black with a case hardened hammer.

If the Plinkerton is fun to shoot, well, this one is even more fun to shoot. I have found that the fun quotient also increases in price as well. A box of .45 Long Colts run around 50 dollars up here in Canada.

Pros:
- SAA all the way
- fires with great authority

Cons:
- ammunition is a bit pricey

Overall:
Now this is how I thought a SAA would feel in use. What is there not to like other than feeding it is a bit expensive. I now have the tooling to reload these in the future. That should make this handgun a bit cheaper to use in the long run.

Some links for you...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a23685/colt-single-action/

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.ca/2010/06/revolver-colt-single-action-army-aka.html

I've always loved the SAA, wish I could a have real one. I fired my friends a few years ago and it was great fun  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: February 05, 2018, 10:55:15 AM
I last saw this thread round about the time of the air rifles.......
 :facepalm:
I'm  :drool: ...........don't know why I'm surprised Dan-the-man always has the best toys!  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: February 07, 2018, 04:09:42 AM
I have been busy with a new semester starting. There are a few more additions to this thread before I am finished. Go figure.  :facepalm:  :rofl:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #46 on: February 07, 2018, 09:12:41 PM
I once had a Browning BuckMark. Fun to shoot until parts started breaking. First the buffer broke; then the recoil-spring-guide-assembly disintegrated (never did find all of the pieces).

After several decades of love-hate relationships with .22 autos I finally bought a S&W 617 (basically a stainless K-22). An outstanding pistol, extremely accurate and totally reliable.

IMG_5492.JPG
* IMG_5492.JPG (Filesize: 162 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #47 on: February 09, 2018, 01:10:06 PM
I just got a sample of frangible BB's in.  You can see them here:

https://www.airventuri.com/av/featured-products/dust-devil-bbs/

Lead free and they fragment on impact so there's no fear of ricochet, at least according to the media release:

CLEVELAND, OHIO (January 4, 2018)  Air Venturi, the leading manufacturer and importer of airgun, airsoft, and ammunition brands, is proud to announce the release of the revolutionary Dust Devil BBs, the world's first frangible .177 caliber BB.  Dust Devils are 10% faster than traditional steel BBs and shatter on impact with hardened targets for reducing ricochets and providing an overall safer shooting experience.

"Made right here in the USA, this new patent pending ammo is designed for dynamic shooting sessions where shooters don't have to worry about ricochet," says Paul Milkovich, Air Venturi's Director of Business Development. "While frangible ammo has been popular with firearm shooters for decades, Air Venturi is the first company to produce a BB that leaves ricochets in the dust.  Dust Devils are BBs perfected and we're sure backyard plinkers and indoor shooters will take notice."

Dust Devil BBs disintegrate into tiny fragments that safely crumble and fall, instead of sending rounds bouncing back at the shooter. Its proprietary blend of special alloys create a round that shoots 10% faster and is completely lead-free. Adding to Air Venturi's wide assortment of air guns, airsoft guns and ammunition, Dust Devil BBs will be available beginning in March 2018.

I plan to take them out this weekend and do some shooting and I'll report back on what I think- assuming they work as advertised and I don't shoot my eyes out!  :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: May 06, 2018, 02:52:04 AM
Episode 21: BKA 98 45 Prop/Cap Gun.

This was something I found at one of the local pawn shops. This Single Action Army replica came with 4 cartridges that have a cut out around the primer for insertion of Caps. This makes for a somewhat fancy cap gun as it is made of metal and has a similar weight and feel to a real firearm The cylinder does rotate when the hammer is pulled back. The cartridge ejector rod works as does the loading gate. I was told this was used in a movie that was shot locally. I have a hard time believing this personally. I didn't pay much for it to begin with.

Pros:

- A very fancy cap gun that works like the real thing, and feels like the real thing as well
- Can hang on the wall and not worry about breaking a few laws

Cons:

- My copy is a little roughed up for character...or so I was told.

Overall:

This is a neat little display gun.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: May 06, 2018, 03:04:02 AM
Episode 22: Umarex Browning Buckmark URX in .177 Pellet.

I bought this after I bought my Browning Buckmark .22LR Hunter because I was curious to see how close it got to the real thing. They did a fairly good job in getting it close to the real thing, but unlike the real think, the pellet version is not has heavy. They did get the grip and feel right however. This is a break barrel springer that shoots a .177 pellet at around the 320 fps mark. The nice thing about this, there is no CO2 cartridges to deal with. The bad thing about this...it is single shot only.

Similar to the real thing, the top is comprised of a large weaver rail that allows you to attach all sorts of aiming devices.

Pros:

- Fairly close to the real firearm
- No CO2 cartridges to deal with

Cons:

- Single shot only
- Not a very powerful pellet gun.

Overall:

This is a not bad beginner pellet gun. It is single shot only, and doesn't  throw the pellets all that fast down range. At least there are no CO2 consumable cartridges, making this a fairly cheap pellet handgun to own and use. This is also a good training aid for those wanting a real Buckmark down the road.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: May 06, 2018, 03:17:01 AM
Episode 23: Umarex Colt Defender BB gun.

This model is something I am both happy and disappointed with. Happy that it has the weight and feel of a real firearm. Disappointed in having a fixed slide and hammer. Shooting this makes you feel that something is terribly wrong. Wrong in the sense that you don't get the feeling you are shooting a semi-auto with a working slide. On the good side, the rear sight is adjustable to the fixed front sight. Having a 16 BB magazine is also a good thing. I just can't get used to not having the slide work, relegating this one to an almost shelf queen status.

Another thing that throws me off is the magazine release opens the spring loaded handle revealing where you insert a CO2 cartridge. The other side has a fixed BB magazine with a hole and spring slider built into the handle. These features make this BB gun totally useless if you view this as a training aid to a real firearm.

Pros:

- Has a good weight and feel in the hand

Cons:

- This model is useless as a training aid to a real firearm due to lack of slide movement, fixed magazine, etc...
- Cheese grater grips

Overall:

It shoot good, and is accurate for what it is. I just do not like that everything is fixed. The slide not moving is a big downer for me. Add to that the other things that make this feel like a BB gun, and I have a hard time recommending this to anyone who may wish to use this as a training aid for a real firearm upgrade in the future.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: May 06, 2018, 03:35:07 AM
Episode 24: Umarex Walther CP99 Compact BB Gun.

As much as I hate the Colt Defender mentioned above, I love this one. In fact, I liked the design so much I almost went the Walther route as this is one ergonomic feel good handgun. I even think it feels better in the hand than the S&W M&P 9 mm that I have. This gun feels like the real thing. I hand held a similar Walther at the gun club, and it just felt sculpted to my hand. Better yet, this model has a working slide, and a removable magazine. The magazine does not reflect a real one however, which is a shame. It does hold 18 shots, and this model will lobe them at around 345 fps.

For all the goodness this model has in feel and operation...it does have one serious issue. The back strap pulls off to reveal where you insert a CO2 cartridge. This design is somewhat flawed as rotating a plastic disk to move the bottom part to puncture the CO2 cartridge is a lot harder than it needed to be. This is achieved by rotating the butt end of the handle, or should I say, the fake simulated bottom plate of the magazine if it where a real firearm. It is just a tad fiddly for my liking.

Like the real think, there is a loaded warning gate at the rear of the functioning slide.

At least the magazine is removable, and better yet, it is a bit different from most models, being twin ambidextrous paddles on the side of the finger guard. This works surprisingly well.

Pros:

- Awesome ergonomics
- crisp working slide
- Removable magazine

Cons:

- Inserting CO2 cartridges is somewhat difficult and fiddly

Overall:

Having bought this, I almost went and purchased a real Walther handgun. The feel of it in the hand is that good. A working slide and removable magazine means this feels somewhat accurate to a real semi auto minus the recoil. This means you can use this as a training aid.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: May 06, 2018, 03:56:35 AM
Episode 25: Crossman Vigilante Revolver in 4.5mm BB and .177 Pellet.

This is a nice revolver that simulated the real thing in many ways, but on the lighter side. The Crossman Vigilante revolver offers two rotating cylinders, one for 6 rounds of BBs, and the other for 10 rounds of pellets. The cylinders are short and do not copy that of a real revolver in depth. They do work like a real cylinder in that it rotates for the next shot with a pull of the trigger. In that regard, the Vigilante can be used in both a single action (manually pull the hammer for a lighter trigger pull), and double action (pull the trigger to pull the hammer for a harder trigger pull) mode. The Vigilante is a break barrel type revolver.

To insert a CO2 cartridge, simply pull apart the handle. There is a turn screw to tighten the cartridge with the gun. This design is simple and works well.

I installed a red dot sight on the top weaver/picatinny rail. There is also one under the barrel for lasers or lights.

This revolver has some power. It will shoot BBs in the neighbourhood of 435 fps. Pellets go down range at around 465 fps.

Pros:

- Dual ammunition is useful
- Feels like a real revolver in all but weight and materials
- Dual accessory rails
- Easy and positive CO2 cartridge installation

Cons:

- Only get one of each cylinder possibly necessitating the purchase of more
- Plastic materials and light weight
- Over time the handle might become loose as it is held by friction alone

Overall:

- This is a nice revolver airgun. Dual ammunition, and accessory rails makes this a very versatile platform. Single and double action makes this a good training aid for a real revolver.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 03:59:35 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: May 06, 2018, 04:12:59 AM
Episode 26: Big Country Classic 1911 in 4.5mm BB.

Here is another variation on the 1911. This time, it is a single shot springer. The overall build is of light plastic. Light weight and materials chosen makes this a very cheaply feeling gun. Racking this gun is difficult due to the slipper plastic and stiff spring. On the plus side, you do get a real looking albeit plastic magazine. Loading the magazine is different. There is a hatch where you poor a lot of BBs. On the front is a spring and a access hole. To fill the magazine, you have to depress the spring follower past a hole. Rotate the magazine upside down and a stream of BBs will fill the channel. Let go of the spring follower gently once all 17 BBs are loaded. 

The hammer on this gun is just for show as it is thin and plasticky like the rest of the gun.

Pros:

- No consumables such as CO2 cartridges
- Magazine does a good job resembling the real thing
- Nice markings on the slide
- loading the magazine is different but effective

Cons:

- Slide only used to charge the main spring and load a BB
- Cheap materials throughout
- Racking the slide is difficult

Overall:

The Big Country Classic 1911 is a cheaply made BB gun. Racking the slide for each shot is punishing as the plastic slide is very slippery and offers the end user very little grip. For all its difficulty in fighting the spring, this BB gun will only toss a BB a measly 150 fps.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #54 on: May 06, 2018, 04:24:25 AM
Episode 27: Daisy Winchester 1911 BB Gun.

Unlike the above 1911, this Daisy does everything right. Full metal construction with plastic grips along with a fully functioning slide and removable magazine makes this a great simulator for a real 1911. With that said, the magazine does not reflect one of a real 1911, which is a pity in regards to training magazine changes. The weight feels fairly accurate to a real firearm. The handle pops off to allow CO2 cartridge insertions, which is easy and simple to do.

Pros:

- All metal construction and a working slide makes this a great way to train
- Easy to use CO2 cartridge insertion system
- Door shouldn't pop off on its own with time and use due to its design

Cons:
- Magazine does not reflect the form factor of a real 1911 firearm
- Price...last time I checked, this model was selling above the $100 dollar Canadian mark

Overall:

Fairly close to the real thing, this Daisy Winchester branded BB gun could help you train for the fraction of the cost of a real firearm. Full slide movement also gives you the feeling you are shooting something more than a BB gun so long as you can ignore the lack of recoil.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #55 on: May 06, 2018, 09:41:53 PM
@Chako,

My 22lr is very similar to yours.   it is a Ruger 10 22

Mine does have the Monopod on the bottom of the pistol grip

I guess with the bipod up front, this is a tripod   :facepalm:

mine has This Stock, with This Monopod, and This Bull Barrel, with This Compensator
I have a cheap scope on it ($20) and a cheap Bipod ($25)

also, My pistol is also a Smith and Weson M&P, but I got the 2.0.  I really like the stippling

If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: May 07, 2018, 01:55:59 AM
Yes, same stock on the 10/22. I didn't opt for the extra monopod in the handle. That would have cost me an extra 60 bucks.

Nice V. 2 M&P.  :tu:

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #57 on: May 07, 2018, 02:03:44 AM
Yes, same stock on the 10/22. I didn't opt for the extra monopod in the handle. That would have cost me an extra 60 bucks.

Nice V. 2 M&P.  :tu:

I bought this 10/22 after all of the work was done (except the cheap scope and cheap bipod).
I think I got a great deal on it.  Paid $300.   the barrel costs that much
If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: May 07, 2018, 02:28:01 AM
Episode 28: Hi-Point 995TS FGFL LAZ in 9 mm.

I bought this to compete in 3 gun competitions. When I bought it, I was told it used pistol magazines, and thus held 10 rounds. When I got it home and tried to feed the magazine 10 rounds, I found out that it only held 5 rounds. In Canada, all rifles and carbines are restricted to 5 rounds max...and pistols are restricted to 10 rounds max. After much research, I found that the magazines are not pistol magazines as those do not fit the carbine. These are pined to 5 rounds. Ho hum.  :(

With that disappointment out of the way, this is a fun little carbine, and one I can't fault in design, accuracy, and functionality. This is a restricted firearm in Canada, which means it has all the restrictions that handguns have. One cool thing about this version is the front folding pistol grip. The bottom has a rotating door which opens to store the included multi-tool. You will never lose it, albeit at the cost of slight rattle. This version I got came with the Aim Sports 150 lumen flashlight and NC Star green laser.

The safety is in an intelligent spot.

The trigger is made of plastic and gives this firearm a toy like feeling. That feeling quickly dissipates once you shoot a few rounds downrange.

You can remove the whole iron sight assembly to attach scopes. I have found that I like the iron sights on this Hi-Point. With the surrounding bridge, the sights are fairly protected against reasonable knocks and bangs.

Here you can see the included trigger lock and the magazine. The trigger lock is unlocked by the included multi-tool.

Pros:

- well designed and ergonomic carbine
- If you get the front pistol grip, you get a place to store your included and useful multi-tool
- longer barrel sure gives those 9 mm rounds added zip
- excellent iron sights
- tactical design means you can add a few accessories, or buy the higher model with them already included
- spring loaded butt pad reduces recoil
- not expensive

Cons:

- in Canada, magazines are pinned to 5 rounds max because they aren't interchangeable with the Hi-Point handgun
- a bit of a bear to take apart for cleaning

Overall:

A lot of folks bash Hi-Point online. I myself have grown quite fond of this carbine. It is durable, accurate, ergonomic, and fun to shoot. I recently found out that new IPSC rules may eliminate the 10 magazine for competition use for 5 round ones. Guess what annoyed me at the start, may actually be an advantage these days. This is a nice affordable firearm.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: May 07, 2018, 02:46:19 AM
Episode 29: Umarex XBG Carbine in 4.5 mm BB.

Here is something a little different. The core is a XBG pistol that holds 19 rounds of BBs. Included is the XBG Plus Tactical Carbine System. The pistol fits in the carbine system, which gives you a folding butt stock, 4 picatinny rails for accessories. In fact, this came with a forward pistol grip, but I have that in storage and thus didn't make these photos. I was playing with the cute little foreward pistol grip on some other firearms that also use picatinny rail system. I did add a red dot sight which I keep on the XBG carbine system. The pistol is easy to add or remove from the outer carbine system. Simply pull one pin, hinge the rear holding plate, and slide the pistol out of the carbine system.

A big plus, the magazine is removable and weights much like what a real magazine might weight. The pistol is powered by a CO2 cartridge which fits in the handle of the pistol via a rear hinged door.

Pros:

- versatile if a bit gimmicky to use
- nice weighted magazine with 19 shots
- pistol is ergonomic and comfortable to shoot
- carbine system allows you to steady your shot and add every accessory you could imagine to something like this
- 410 fps 

Cons:

- non operational slide

Overall:

The XBG handgun is a nice model that shoots at a reasonable 410 fps. The weighted magazine could be used for training purposes. Likewise, the carbine system is a nice touch. The folding stock and quad rails along with the included fore-grip adds to a nice shooting system. Come to think of it, I just leave the pistol inside the carbine system all the time.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69