Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lets talk about firearms and air guns.

Chako · 133 · 9054

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Lets talk about firearms and air guns.
Reply #60 on: May 07, 2018, 03:02:16 AM
Episode 30: Umarex Steel Storm in 4.5 mm BB.

Shooting BBs at 410 fps, the Steel Storm packs a punch. What makes this one very exciting to use...the Steel Storm will do this in single and 6 shot bursts. Yes, this is as close to a machine gun a Canadian civilian legally will ever get to. Shooting 6 BBs down range with each pull of the trigger just puts a big grin on ones face. What doesn't is just how fast this air gun will consume CO2 cartridges. On a fresh cartridge charge, I swear this exceeds the stated 410 fps, but the velocity does quickly decelerate as the CO2 cartridges valiantly expend their charges.

Just switch the rate of fire downwards for big grins.

The grip holds the dual CO2 cartridges. There is a handy plastic allen key included to help tighten the cartridges into place.

The 300 BB reservoir is accessed via the sliding front sight. Once loaded, there is a spring follower magazine that will hold 30 rounds fed via the 300 round reservoir.

There is a small indicator window which turns white once the Steel Storm is locked and loaded. This is located just above the fire select lever.

Pros:

- closest thing to a machine gun you can get in Canada
- 6 BBs is a devastating salvo to launch with one pull of a trigger
- easy to load reservoir, and 30 round magazine

Cons:

- eats CO2 cartridges like there is no tomorrow

Overall:

Be sure to buy plenty of CO2 cartridges as you will want to play with this all day if possible. 6 round burst is fun. fairly accurate at that. The power does decrease very quickly, which does dampen the fun somewhat.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #61 on: May 07, 2018, 03:13:06 AM
Episode 31: Umarex Steel Force in 4.5 mm BB.

Much like the previous Steel Storm, the Steel Force shoots both single and 6 round bursts with a single pull of the trigger. However, the form factor of the Steel Force is superior to the sub-machine gun design of the Steel Storm. This means I like this one better as it is a lot more accurate with its adjustable butt stock, and pop up sights. Unfortunately, this one suffers the same fate as the Steel Storm when it comes to voraciously eating CO2 cartridges.

The Steel Force has one leaver for both fire select and safety.

Like the Steel Storm, the Steel Force has a 300 round BB reservoir accessed by sliding the front sight to reveal the loading hole. There is a side spring magazine that holds 30 rounds, which is fed via the 300 round reservoir.

Pros:

- Great fun shooting a salvo of 6 BBs at each pull of the trigger
- AR form-factor a big improvement over the Steel Storm sub-gun form-factor

Cons:

- eats CO2 cartridges at a quick rate.

Overall:

6 round bursts is great fun. Just be prepared to invest in a lot of CO2 cartridges.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:14:57 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #62 on: May 07, 2018, 03:27:27 AM
Episode 32: Umarex Morph 3X in 4.5 mm BB.

With its built in 30 round magazine, the Morph 3X is another interesting airgun. It can morph into 3 different configurations. You get the base pistol, a butt stock attachment, and a forearm and longer rifle barrel. I bought this before I had my PAL. What I didn't know at the time was that the pistol was rated for 450 fps, which is legal. However, the air rifle configuration is rated for 600 fps, which is 100 fps more than is allowed for a non-firearm licence in Canada. I am legal now, but yikes, for a while, I wasn't, and I did not even know it as the higher fps is absent from the Canadian packaging.

Pros:

- good power
- 3 different airgun configurations allow for versatility
- 30 round capacity is good
- nice fiber optic sights

Cons:

- air rifle configuration will make you a criminal in Canada if you do not have your firearm licence as it is well above the 500 fps cut off
- no on-board storage for the extra hand-grip strap and fiber optic sight

Overall:

This is a nice airgun all around. I just wished the packaging stated that some of the configurations required a firearms licence in Canada.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: May 07, 2018, 03:43:03 AM
Episode 33:  GSG STG 44 Schmeisser in .22 LR.

This beautiful replica of the WWII German STG 44 assault rifle is designed to resemble the real thing in both feel and weight minus the recoil firing the original 7.92×33mm Kurz cartridge. In fact, this rifle is 9 1/4 pounds, slightly lighter than the original it is based on. Firing .22 LR in a heavy rifle as this equates to no felt recoil.

Details about such as this dust cover.

The magazines hold 25 rounds of .22 LR ammunition. The spring follower makes loading the magazines a breeze.

The magazine release is large much like that of the original.

The safety is in an awkward position. That dummy upper round button is the select fire on a real STG 44. The GSG replica will only fire semi automatically.

Featuring wooden furnishings, the details continue right down to the top butt stock tool chest storage hatch. This is empty on the .22LR, but the compartment is fully functional.

Pros:

- Closest thing you can get to a real and expensive STG 44 assault rifle
- uses the ever cheap and plentiful .22LR ammunition
- no recoil

Cons:

- heavy
- a bit finicky in ammunition

Overall:

This is a real conversation starter on the gun range. I know there is another company making a replica that will shoot a heavier round, but I like that this shoots .22 LR. No recoil and 25 rounds on tap is very enjoyable...but at over 9 pounds, you know this is a heavy rifle. Shooting this is like having a bit of WWII history in your hands.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #64 on: May 07, 2018, 03:54:36 AM
Episode 34: Daisy Model 840C Grizzly in .117 Pellet and 4.5 mm BB.

A lot of air rifles out there require expensive CO2 cartridges. This single pump air rifle does not, and that is an advantage to having a full day of shooting fun. Dual ammunition makes this one versatile air rifle with speeds of 300 fps pellet, and 310 fps BB. The forearm is the pump.

Instructions right on the rifle.

Included is a Daisy 4x15 scope.

Each single pellet is loaded in the breech. For BBs, there is a 350 round reservoir that is accessed via a small sliding hatch.

Pros:

- single pump means no wasted and expensive CO2 cartridges
- dual ammo capability
- perfect beginner air rifle
- super easy to operate
- scope is a nice if cheap addition

Cons:

- not the most powerful air rifle out there

Overall:

This is a great little airgun that is simple to use, and won't cost the bank in CO2 cartridges. Single pump is easy for most age groups to use.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: May 07, 2018, 04:26:46 AM
Episode 35: Crosman 2240 in .22 pellet.

This single shot .22 pellet handgun powered by CO2 cartridges is one of my favorites. The bolt action makes loading a breeze. On top of that, the CO2 system found on this air pistol is a thing of beauty in its simplicity. This model offers positive and safe canister puncturing. The 2240 will toss a pellet downrange at 460 fps, making this a powerful and legal purchase for any older Canadian that doesn't have a firearms licence. The safety is intelligently placed.

Pros:
- an all around easy to use, and powerful air pistol

Cons:

- I can't think of any.

Overall:

A well designed and built .22 pellet air pistol. One of my favorite designs that used CO2 cartridges.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: May 07, 2018, 04:43:15 AM
Episode 36: Crosman Backpacker in .22 Pellet.

This came in a Bug Out kit which features a backpack, a water bottle, a first aid kit, and the backpacker air pistol. I will only show the pistol for this review. The backpacker is much like the Crosman 2240 mentioned above with a few differences. This is a variable pump pistol with a maximum of 10 pumps to shoot a .22 pellet 480 fps. Of course, you can vary your power. The biggest thing with this, there are no CO2 cartridges to run out of. Another difference is the longer barrel and included removable should stock that is held in by a spring loaded pin. The best part, I took of the plastic grips found on the Crosman 2240 and they fit the Backpacker. Likewise, the removable shoulder stock also fit the 2240. Having both gives you options.

Above, the Backpacker, below, the 2240.

Pros:

- included bug out kit gives you a nice way to carry the backpacker along with a few good extra items
- variable pump power
- butt stock is removable for storage

Cons:

- in a pure hunting scenario, pumping the pistol is noisy and time consuming

Overall:

Another great design from Crosman with some real advantages along with a few detractions like everything else. The variable pump means no more CO2 cartridges. The downside, it is noisy and time consuming to pump. Must also remember to not pump it more than 10 times or you will risk damaging the air pistol. The longer barrel with included butt stock means the Backpacker is theoretically more accurate than the CO2 powered 2240. Personally, I like both equally.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #67 on: May 07, 2018, 04:45:03 AM
Well that is it for this thread. I am a bit shocked that I have 35 things that are either firearms or airguns. I am not counting the replica SSA that is more or less a glorified cap/prop gun.

Hope you enjoyed this thread.  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: May 09, 2018, 01:06:07 AM
Dang. Forgot I still have two more air rifles to feature...sigh. Guess this is not the exact end of this thread.  :think:  :rofl:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #69 on: May 09, 2018, 09:13:34 AM
I have been truly enjoying this thread so thank you for sharing.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: May 09, 2018, 01:12:57 PM
 :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #71 on: May 09, 2018, 01:34:49 PM
Episode 37: Roebel B6C Side Lever Air Rifle in .177 Pellet.

I got this at the local TSC for under 60 bucks Canadian. I was curious at how a side lever air rifle worked, and I must say this and the B6 which will be featured under this one gave me some insights into their operation. I must say, these rifles are heavy, and both are of a bull-pup design which is neat. One thing I did find out quickly, there are no included safeties, and I do not like the idea of the massive chamber plug moving towards my fingers as I attempt to install a pellet. I guess to prevent this, one would have to have the lever tucked under an arm or something of the sort to prevent it from pinching/crushing fingers.

The model B6C has these terrible AR16 type sights. The rear handle only has a crappy groove and here is the front sight...which I have found to be lacking.

Pros:

- Neat side lever springer and bull-pup design

Cons:

- poor included sights
- no safety
- fiddly to load a pellet
- fore-grip rotates in place

Overall:

I bought this and the other because I couldn't decide on which to get. At this price point, I got both of them. With that said, the B6C's included sights are terrible. The fore-grip rotates making this a bit dicey to get comfortable with when shooting. If I had to do this again, I would get the Roebel B6 model as that one fixes all the deficiencies of the B6C.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #72 on: May 09, 2018, 01:43:17 PM
Episode 38: Roebel B6 Side Lever Air Rifle in .177 Pellet.

After doing some online research, I found out that this rifle is a somewhat copy of the Xisico B9 which is a superior rifle in my opinion as it does include a safety and I think is a repeater. On the plus side, this model is far superior to the B6C mentioned in the previous episode as it allows you to include an aiming device of your choosing. I installed a simple Tasco 4x15 scope, but previously had a red dot sight installed. Other positives include a fore-arm that is contoured and far more comfortable to the rounded fore-arm of the B6C. Bonus in that it doesn't rotate like the B6C.

Pros:

- more ergonomic than the B6C
- versatile in that you can attach your choice of air rifle sighting options

Cons:

- no safety
- fiddly in loading a pellet
- does not come with a scope or red dot sight

Overall:

If you absolutely need to buy a Roebel air rifle from TSC because they are under 60 bucks Canadian, and you are curious about side levers, I can recommend the model B6 over that of the B6C. It just feels a lot better in the hands, and the choice of aiming devices makes this a winner over the crappy fixed sights of the B6C.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #73 on: May 09, 2018, 01:44:48 PM
I think that might just be the last item I have to talk about.  :think:

:rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: May 09, 2018, 04:36:57 PM
You certainly got me wanting a BB/Pellet rifle.    :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #75 on: May 09, 2018, 04:39:15 PM
While going through some things I found my old pellet rifle as well as the very first B.B./pellet pistol I recieved when I was about 7. Ahh the memories.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: May 09, 2018, 07:28:55 PM
 :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #77 on: June 07, 2018, 02:18:57 AM
Episode 39: Crossman SR357 in 4.5mm BB.

Walking into the local TSC store, I was almost shocked that this BB handgun was on sale. I mean, I have been waiting for almost 2 years for this particular beauty to come down in price. Retailing at 230 dollars Canadian, a few more hundred dollars and you can get a real firearm. I went for it at just shy of 140 Canadian dollars.

Meet the Crossman SR357.

I was very curious to see how it would compare to my Smith & Wesson 586.

This is the closest thing to owning a real firearm. Compared to my 357 magnum, the SR357 has similar weight and feel. The trigger isn't anywhere near as good as my S&W, but that had a trigger job. The SR357 is a CO2 powered BB revolver that does a very good job at mimicking the real thing. It even has 6 BB holders that look somewhat like a real 357 cartridge. However, these are slightly larger and will only go two thirds into a real 357 magnum cylinder. No way you can load real cartridges into this and fire them off as the real cartridges will slide in too far into the BB gun's cylinder.

Real 357 magnum S&W on the top, Crossman SR357 BB on the bottom.

Pros:

- As close to a real revolver firearm as you can get without needing a firearms licence
- BBs fit into simulated 357 magnum cartridges
- 450 fps
- single/double action

Cons:

- CO2 is a consumable
- 230 Canadian is I think expensive for something that shoots BBs
- trigger is on the heavy and rough side of things

Overall:

I am pleasantly surprised at how right they got the Crossman SR357 to the real thing. The trigger is a bit heavy. Furthermore, it feels about the same weight in either single or double action. It should be far lighter in single action. Seeing that I have waited for quite some time to get my hands on this particular model for a reasonable price, I am over the moon with it. Now I just need some free time to take it down to the range.

The Crossman SR357 even fits this old silhouette target holster.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 02:29:40 AM by Chako »

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: June 07, 2018, 08:04:46 AM
Hi Dan

Love your toys as always......Episode 39......when I look at that thing my first thought is that could get a person in serious trouble......

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #79 on: June 07, 2018, 12:19:57 PM
All air rifles and handguns can get you in a  lot of trouble if missuses, with the local constabulary. They are not toys. But I do hear you, that one does scream real. It is hard to tell them apart from the actual firearm type.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #80 on: June 07, 2018, 05:29:56 PM
Comparing pics of the real and BB gun they would easily be confused.  Pretty cool how the BBs fit in those real looking cartridges.  Overall a really nice looking BB gun. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #81 on: June 08, 2018, 04:17:18 AM
That STG is a beautiful piece, Chako. Is 22LR easy enough to find in CA? It was kinda rare down here during the Obama administration for some reason or another.. :think:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: June 08, 2018, 05:43:40 AM
That seems like a really bad idea   :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: June 08, 2018, 07:46:55 AM
There never was a shortage of 22LR up here.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #84 on: June 08, 2018, 08:53:47 PM
There never was a shortage of 22LR up here.
Cool. Are other people allowed to post pictures of their firearms here?  :D
Screenshot_20180608-150318.jpg
* Screenshot_20180608-150318.jpg (Filesize: 32.11 KB)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 09:06:57 PM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: June 09, 2018, 01:46:53 AM
I encourage others to post photos of things that go bang, pop, pew pew, etc...

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: June 09, 2018, 03:05:34 AM
Pew Pew! :salute:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #87 on: June 09, 2018, 11:25:05 AM
Walther PPK  :drool:.

An iconic handgun that I can't own in Canada as it is on the Prohibited list due to a shorter than 4.2 cm barrel and or in 25 or 32 calibre.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:26:54 AM by Chako »

00 Offline Swiss Reformer

Reply #88 on: June 09, 2018, 06:01:26 PM
I started shooting pistols over 3 years ago, and during an internet snooping/shopping session a couple of years ago I saw an air gun version old German Luger.  Functioned just as the real ones did in that you have to rack the slide to shoot, and each time you fire it behaves just as the 9mm version does.

Tried to order back then but was unsuccessful.  I think one online store was in Canada and wouldn't ship to the USA.

Seeing this topic is going to get me searching again, haha.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: June 09, 2018, 07:53:46 PM
Walther PPK  :drool:.

An iconic handgun that I can't own in Canada as it is on the Prohibited list due to a shorter than 4.2 cm barrel and or in 25 or 32 calibre.

Iconic indeed!
Mine is a S&W version and in .380 and I was not really looking for one when it found me!

This is one of my favorites and it kicks pretty hard for what it is and the slide will bite you if not ready for it every time too but it is also a great shooter and fairly compact as well.
This is one I plan on keeping forever.

Sucks about your restrictions.......sort of.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%