Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best way to rehab my Supertool

lew · 35 · 2215

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Best way to rehab my Supertool
Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 11:39:46 PM
Here you go :salute:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,72692.msg1587387.html#msg1587387

Brought all of my pics back and now they are here on MTO and PB can't mess with them now :like:

:nanadance:       :nanadance:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: January 24, 2018, 11:38:11 PM
I'd be inclined to soak the Supertool in very hot water with dish soap, leave it for a while to soften the oil that will doubtless have solidified over the years. Then begin to slowly work the tools open in the hot water. Turn the oven on high . remove the tool and pour boiling water from a kettle over it.. Pat it dry with a soft cloth, place on a baking tray and shove it in the oven for half hour.. Remove, allow to cool and soak with copious amounts of WD40.

It's what I always do and has never let me down nor caused rust issues.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: January 25, 2018, 08:28:09 AM
I'd be inclined to soak the Supertool in very hot water with dish soap, leave it for a while to soften the oil that will doubtless have solidified over the years. Then begin to slowly work the tools open in the hot water. Turn the oven on high . remove the tool and pour boiling water from a kettle over it.. Pat it dry with a soft cloth, place on a baking tray and shove it in the oven for half hour.. Remove, allow to cool and soak with copious amounts of WD40.

Really???
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 10:33:01 AM

Really???

Yes really
If you use wd40 as the tool comes out of the oven it discolours the steel to a goldish colour, I know because I did so on a incredibly stiff tti I purchased years back.

The BO flik I got a few weeks back was stiff and I did exactly the above. Silky smooth now  :D
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: January 28, 2018, 10:24:42 PM

I ask because I use my oven for everything from drying work boots (below 50oc) to heat treating carbon steel (220oc)
my oven will go 250oc+
Are you sure you are not ruining the temper on the tools? softening them? or making your blade brittle by heating then quenching it with WD40?  :think:
Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD