Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Will you be buying the new PST?

EZrider · 103 · 5957

Poll

Who is giving up their hard earned dollars for an overpriced tool?

Limited Edition
1 (1.9%)
Collectors Edition
2 (3.8%)
Both
3 (5.7%)
Neither
47 (88.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: February 02, 2018, 08:58:43 AM

za Offline EZrider

Will you be buying the new PST?
on: January 26, 2018, 08:58:43 AM
Leatherman is aiming the new PST at collectors, people who like signatures, boxes and certificates and that sort of thing.
I am unashamedly one of these and my own, far too expensive, Limited Edition PST is on its way.
I’m just curious as too how many of those few made will be in the hands of forum members!

fi Offline Padre

Re: Will you be buying the new PST?
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 10:02:55 AM
I was thinking about it, but will pass. I have way too many tools right now. :)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 10:11:54 AM
Absolutely not! £250 for a tool I originally paid £60ish for? No,just no!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

za Offline EZrider

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 10:16:04 AM
I was thinking about it, but will pass. I have way too many tools right now. :)

The correct amount of tools is n+1  :D

za Offline EZrider

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 10:17:32 AM
Absolutely not! £250 for a tool I originally paid £60ish for? No,just no!

I still have the one my dad gave me in 1994!
This makes no sense at all unless you collect things...  :gimme:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 10:27:45 AM
No, but I wouldn't buy an original PST either.  There are better multitools out there now.

za Offline EZrider

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:41:30 AM
No, but I wouldn't buy an original PST either.  There are better multitools out there now.

Doesn’t matter how good it is because at this price I probably will use my wave instead  :tu:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 11:36:19 AM
Knivecenter has them for 200$
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 12:12:23 PM
No way!
I'm a Vic fan. But for $200 they'll have to come up with more then a signed Swisstool.

I do understand that there are people who may be wealthier or who's passion supercedes mine and I totaly respect that.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 12:46:02 PM
No...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 01:04:19 PM
Are there two different editions of the new PST? I will not be buying one. This tool is manufactured, not hand made. There is not even extra perk like the high polish on the 25th anni Wave. If Tim engraves the tool himself, then there is some value to it, but still not that price. I don't think you can even resell it at that MSRP price on eBay later on. There is nothing special about it, except for LTG telling us it is special.

Now a question, will you do an even trade your new and latest PST with TL sig stamp for a used and oldest one with a Cabela's stamp?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 01:20:02 PM
Although I've always wanted the PST to come back, no way am I buying at this price just for a limited edition. Manufactured limited editions are seldom worth much. It is the ones stamped Cabelas that are worth something because of the quality and history of the tool. It grew from quality to legend.

I'd only buy one if it's returned to regular production at less than $100. Preferably about $70.

I get why they made it. It's commemorative. But I don't buy commemmoratives. If they decide to do a big run of these over the rest of the year and 2019, without signature and box, and reduce the price by two thirds or so, ok

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 01:21:08 PM
Are there two different editions of the new PST? I will not be buying one. This tool is manufactured, not hand made. There is not even extra perk like the high polish on the 25th anni Wave. If Tim engraves the tool himself, then there is some value to it, but still not that price. I don't think you can even resell it at that MSRP price on eBay later on. There is nothing special about it, except for LTG telling us it is special.

Now a question, will you do an even trade your new and latest PST with TL sig stamp for a used and oldest one with a Cabela's stamp?

All i need get my PST and ask Tim Leatherman sign it  DONE..  save my 300 dollars hahhaha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 01:23:40 PM
well, we joke, but if they are selling for a $1000 in a few years we will all remember when we could have bought them new for $270..

LM does not release many LE, unlike Victorinox, and this is a special model, the father of modern Multitools afterall.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 01:26:07 PM
No way!
I'm a Vic fan. But for $200 they'll have to come up with more then a signed Swisstool.

I do understand that there are people who may be wealthier or who's passion supercedes mine and I totaly respect that.
Same here, ok I collect RTs that are fairly expensive... but the Vic special Editions that run at 5000 pieces are always sold out... plenty of people who like to spend their money on that.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

za Offline EZrider

Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 01:39:10 PM

The limited edition comes in a cardboard box without the coin and tee shirt and is $200.
The collectors edition has the wooden box and other goodies.

I have several older PST models so I wouldn’t trade my new PST for a used model even were it worth a lot more. I purchased this to have a NIB PST and, being in South Africa, this was the easiest way to get one.

za Offline EZrider

Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 01:39:51 PM
No way!

Same here, ok I collect RTs that are fairly expensive... but the Vic special Editions that run at 5000 pieces are always sold out... plenty of people who like to spend their money on that.

:like:

za Offline EZrider

Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 01:43:21 PM

All i need get my PST and ask Tim Leatherman sign it  DONE..  save my 300 dollars hahhaha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey Ob1, get Tim to sign a mint condition PST for you and I will give you $200 for it (must include an original leather sheath though).

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 01:46:29 PM
As much as it pains me, I would infact have bought the Wooden Box edition PST
I already have 20th, 25th, 30th LM's
Plus the signed Genus.
But I can't find a source to supply here in the UK and import duty direct from leatherman in the USA will increase the price by 25% not including postage and Royal Mails import charge.....so sadly I will miss out.

Am I bitter? ....too right I am.
I'm not  a user and surprisingly no longer a collector as such these days.
But this is meagre 500. That isn't a lot at all.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

za Offline EZrider

Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 01:56:43 PM
As much as it pains me, I would infact have bought the Wooden Box edition PST
I already have 20th, 25th, 30th LM's
Plus the signed Genus.
But I can't find a source to supply here in the UK and import duty direct from leatherman in the USA will increase the price by 25% not including postage and Royal Mails import charge.....so sadly I will miss out.

Am I bitter? ....too right I am.
I'm not  a user and surprisingly no longer a collector as such these days.
But this is meagre 500. That isn't a lot at all.

Okay, I’ll take that as a yes, sort of  :D
I’m in the same boat, wanted the wooden box but settled on the cheaper one because it’s all they had in SA.

I’m trying to find out how many like us there are...

From the other thread there is wowaboro and Brian7549.

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 02:20:08 PM
I’m going to pass also, but I do understand a collector wanting this. I respect that.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 02:21:42 PM
How about an original PST with a patent date? That's what I'll be buying instead. I don't see the nearly $300 for something I can normally get under $30, $50 for an original PST in its box.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:22:55 PM by cody6268 »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 02:33:59 PM
To be fair, everyone griping about the cost of this PST in relation to older discontinued versions are missing the point entirely.
This is THE official 35yr anniversary model released by leatherman. The fact it's the PST is completely irrelevant. There are only 500 and my guess is there's probably less than 100 left. Remember LM staff will have had a chance to grab one, as will LM stockists across the globe who will probably have received notification of its impending release. Plus no doubt a few will be held back by leatherman.
So please don't fret, they will undoubtably all be sold.

Problem solved.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 02:42:10 PM

Hey Ob1, get Tim to sign a mint condition PST for you and I will give you $200 for it (must include an original leather sheath though).

Signed PST, never used or carried, with original unused leather sheath and original box in mint condition ...  :pok: :pok: :pok:

Pics from before it was signed:

Pics from after it was signed:

Probably shouldn't have let Tim put the "To Eric, best wishes" part on it ...  :whistle:

Who am I kidding ... I would never sell my precious  :dd:.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 02:48:13 PM

Signed PST, never used or carried, with original unused leather sheath and original box in mint condition ...  :pok: :pok: :pok:

(Image removed from quote.)

Probably shouldn't have let Tim put the "To Eric, best wishes" part on it ...  :whistle:

Priceless  :o :o :o :o

za Offline EZrider

Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 03:20:46 PM

Now that, sir, is a beautiful knife!!!!!!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 03:25:58 PM
I collect, but I collect to use. This is a bit too rich for my blood and I wouldn't end up using it. Purely function based I'd just go with a Rebar. Next on my list is a Blast
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 03:28:31 PM
I collect, but I collect to use. This is a bit too rich for my blood and I wouldn't end up using it. Purely function based I'd just go with a Rebar. Next on my list is a Blast

Blast is awesome  :cheers:

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 03:31:57 PM
No because I try to use my stuff and I would be too afraid to wreck it. Plus the Wave beats it anyway.

But I do respect folks who want to collect it.  But I wonder if the original PST NIB may be of more value.  Especially if you have it signed. 

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 03:39:47 PM
Ok
Quick heads up

Just received a reply from whitby&Co, LM importers here in the UK

These are due mid Febuary at HH & Outdoor365.
Price is £249

Just sent a email to HH asking to confirm.

Yes, the price is outrageous, no one is forcing me to buy and if I didn't already have the 20th, 25th and 30th I wouldn't have touched this with a barge pole.
But this and if I should manage to find the damn Surge CC will be the only LM's I buy this year.

(I'm still looking out for the missing Wenger Rangers - that is my only commitment these days)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $97.41
PayPal Fees: $5.57
Net Balance: $91.84
Below Goal: $208.16
Site Currency: USD
31%