Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Will you be buying the new PST?

EZrider · 103 · 6168

Poll

Who is giving up their hard earned dollars for an overpriced tool?

Limited Edition
1 (1.9%)
Collectors Edition
2 (3.8%)
Both
3 (5.7%)
Neither
47 (88.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: February 02, 2018, 08:58:43 AM

za Offline EZrider

Re: Will you be buying the new PST?
Reply #60 on: January 27, 2018, 02:21:55 PM
Whistles quietly to myself

(Image removed from quote.)

Beautiful, looks mint!

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #61 on: January 27, 2018, 02:24:07 PM

Beautiful, looks mint!

Thanks, it is, still has the original price of $39.99 on the box  :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #62 on: January 27, 2018, 02:40:58 PM

Beautiful, looks mint!

Thanks, it is, still has the original price of $39.99 on the box  :rofl:

That's one sweet looking PST mate  :drool:.

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #63 on: January 28, 2018, 12:43:04 PM
I still am in the phase i collect what i use so for me its a NO GO
Sanger's laws:

-any problem has more than one resolve!

-by the way you look at the problem, the resolve may change!

-where's a will there's a way !

us Offline mcb

Reply #64 on: January 28, 2018, 02:50:09 PM
I have a collection of multi-tools only because I am a active user and I keep upgrading and looking for the best tool.  I am not really a collector though and as other people have said the original PST is surpassed functionally by many other tools.  The PST no doubt is important historically and to collectors due to it role in the evolution of the modern Multi-tool but at those prices I would rather buy the new Wave+ and/or Charge+ TTI.  If I ever find a deal on the PST I might pick it up to add to the collection but it is not a high priority certainly not high enough to pay those prices for the limited addition new PSTs.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 04:58:46 PM by mcb »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: January 28, 2018, 06:50:44 PM
well, we joke, but if they are selling for a $1000 in a few years we will all remember when we could have bought them new for $270..

LM does not release many LE, unlike Victorinox, and this is a special model, the father of modern Multitools afterall.

DKS, that's just it. These "factory limited editions" never really go up in value. That's like saying that Gold Series fully optioned Cadillac you bought in 1993 and 've kept in the garage along with its certificate of authenticity Is going to sell for five times the price in "a few years" and that's just bunk.

A United Nations or NATO version would probably go for more then this five years from now. Or the one those guys used to save thatt bear cub, if it could e authenticated. Or one that went up in space. There is an actual story behind that tool.

So the Victorinox LE pioneer costs the same now as they did when it was released 17 year ago?
here is one that sold:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Limited-Edition-2010-Damascus-Steel-Pioneer-Swiss-Army-Knife-/221532576664

We are no talking about a bad car (a Cadillac has very little appeal outside of the US) being tarted up.  Just like when you asked on what universe you can find PSTs at a reasonable cost, and a few of us pointed out some for sale, you need to check e.g. eBay (sold items) to get a better idea of how much these go for. You may be losing some good buying opportunities.

A Ganzo LE is not likely to go up in value but a LM, Victorinox LE has a very good potential to increase in value, especially when produced in small numbers.
Copper Alox knives were going for silly money not so long ago and they were not even that limited.

Very well, DKS. Just goes to show I'm not the expert.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: January 28, 2018, 06:57:24 PM

Very nice, Smashie!

I don't have a PST and leather sheath with box, but I do have an original Super Tool, nylon sheath, with box. Box has a  copywriters of 1995. Tool dates 07 and 08 of 1999. Doesn't have the price tag on it though. Good on you.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #67 on: January 28, 2018, 07:12:29 PM
I'll end up getting one, but not until I find it in a TSA auction and buy it for $20.00. :twak:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #68 on: January 28, 2018, 07:18:16 PM
Ive already got a new PST from 20 yrs ago.

When I kept hoping they were bringing back the PST (and MINI I hope) I wasnt expecting some limited crap just a modern retake on a classic with some inflation of course.  Id expect it priced similar to a rebar.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #69 on: January 28, 2018, 09:31:25 PM

When I kept hoping they were bringing back the PST (and MINI I hope) I wasnt expecting some limited crap just a modern retake on a classic with some inflation of course.  Id expect it priced similar to a rebar.

I guess the Rebar IS Leatherman's modern retake of the PST ...

At least that's what Tim kinda told me.  Back in 2016 he asked me what my favorite tool of the "new line up" was, and when I told him it was the Rebar, he said it was his favorite of the new tools also, since it reminded him of the PST, in size and "simplicity".

But I must say that, if Leatherman brought back the PST in "normal" version at a "normal" price, I would probably end up getting one (or two ...::)).

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #70 on: January 28, 2018, 10:02:11 PM

I guess the Rebar IS Leatherman's modern retake of the PST ...

At least that's what Tim kinda told me.  Back in 2016 he asked me what my favorite tool of the "new line up" was, and when I told him it was the Rebar, he said it was his favorite of the new tools also, since it reminded him of the PST, in size and "simplicity".

But I must say that, if Leatherman brought back the PST in "normal" version at a "normal" price, I would probably end up getting one (or two ...::)).

Ya good point on the rebar.  Its my fav of the modern ones.  I wouldn't necessarily say the PST had to come back with zero improvements, but if they wanted to do some limited edition Id expect some fancy blade steels at least to warrant the price.  The handles were also pretty uncomfortable.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #71 on: January 29, 2018, 02:26:24 AM
I am not trying to be funny here, but I think the PST, if made new, should cost less than the Wingman, and MAYBE... PROBABLY less than the Rev. It is DEAD simple to produce, and has very few parts.

I love the PST as an example of industrial design. A step in the evolution of an idea. And maybe more important, as a real NEW idea at the time.

But as a functional object, it is not as good as the Wingman, and I assume, minus the file, not as good as the Rev. So... really. Please, save the harrumphing. I OWN a PST, and have hard used it recently. And I have tortured a Wingman. I really feel like I know what I'm talking about here. The PST is more than 'Showing its age'. It's outclassed by miles. The tool retention on the PST is pretty terrible. The Ergo of the tool in pliers mode is an atrocity. I tested the Wingman, and it took like 6 pounds of force to fold one of the tools. I'd guess that's about 6 times as much as a PST. And the blade locks on the newer tools, a tool you REALLY don't want to fold on you. The file on the PST is the only point where it beats the Wingman/Rev. Okay, maybe the wire cutters of the PST beat the Wingman. But the file is a VERY low priority tool, and while people complain long and loud about the Wingman's file, it still works quite well.

(Now I need to go put on my tomato-proof armor, before the pelting begins)

The PST could literally become Leatherman's new budget tool. Which I'd be fine with.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #72 on: January 29, 2018, 03:50:23 AM
The wingman is made of worse steel than the PST which is how it can be made so cheap.  Its far inferior IMO in build quality too.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #73 on: January 29, 2018, 05:41:01 AM
And 10 times out of 10 I'd pick the Wingman over the PST if I needed to actually get something done. I've used both a fair amount. I've straight up abused a Wingman, and it has ABSOLUTELY earned my respect. I CAN'T put a PST to the level of abuse I've done to a Wingman, because the tools will collapse, and bust my knuckles. or in the case of the blade, maybe worse.

The PST may be machined better, but it is not a better DESIGN, and not by a mile. The combination of design and build leaves the Wingman the better tool. To save argument... IN MY OPINION.

YMMV, and there are still lots of old PSTs out there to be had pretty cheap on ebay. So, to each their own.

Still not paying $250 for a new PST, though. :D

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #74 on: January 29, 2018, 11:24:43 AM
Oops

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

za Offline EZrider

Reply #76 on: January 29, 2018, 02:17:21 PM
Oops

Oops???
That happened by accident???

Congratulations!!!

Now go change your vote!

za Offline EZrider

Reply #77 on: January 29, 2018, 02:26:49 PM
And 10 times out of 10 I'd pick the Wingman over the PST if I needed to actually get something done. I've used both a fair amount. I've straight up abused a Wingman, and it has ABSOLUTELY earned my respect. I CAN'T put a PST to the level of abuse I've done to a Wingman, because the tools will collapse, and bust my knuckles. or in the case of the blade, maybe worse.

The PST may be machined better, but it is not a better DESIGN, and not by a mile. The combination of design and build leaves the Wingman the better tool. To save argument... IN MY OPINION.

YMMV, and there are still lots of old PSTs out there to be had pretty cheap on ebay. So, to each their own.

Still not paying $250 for a new PST, though. :D

This is exactly why the new PST costs so much. It would not make sense to release something ergonomically inferior at the same price point as a wingman.
You are paying for history, nostalgia and scarcity, not function. Most people buying this will not use it but it will bring them back to a time of craftsmanship and ingenuity.

I have used a wingman/rev and frankly they are very poor examples of leatherman tools, built to a price point ( I get that just as you get the PST collector thing ) but that’s all they are mediocre tools. If you really want good buy a rebar or wave. If you love the era where innovators crafted excellence buy a PST to fondle.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #78 on: January 29, 2018, 02:28:58 PM
Oops

Oops???
That happened by accident???

Congratulations!!!

Now go change your vote!

No need, I voted after I'd ordered it I just didn't comment  :D

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #79 on: January 29, 2018, 05:35:30 PM
No love for the PST, still have a couple in the drawer...
Enjoy!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #80 on: January 29, 2018, 05:36:33 PM
I was somewhat excited when I first saw the new PST, because I assumed it was a return to the regular lineup, and I hoped that maybe Leatherman had cured the sharp handle edges.

But nooooo.

I have no interest in commemorative items.  I'm not sure what the point is.  I'd much rather have 10 used PSTs off of eBay than one new commemorative offering.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #81 on: January 29, 2018, 05:37:49 PM
Nooo. you should buy one and bury it for a year  :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #82 on: January 29, 2018, 05:50:03 PM
Ya that was the one advantage the gerber MPT had, it has rolled edges.  If I was bringing back the PST for actual sale as a tool to use, Id add that.  It still has 2 other advantages though which are non locking for international sale and small size.  Those 2 features are reasons victorinox is INSANELY POPULAR.

I had a wingman and was so disgusted with the quality of it I got rid of it and have no interest in ever touching one again.  Not representative of the company. 

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #83 on: January 29, 2018, 06:17:48 PM
Nooo. you should buy one and bury it for a year  :)

That's a fine idea.  Send me US$300 and I will get right on it.  [The excess over MSRP I will use for snacks].

:salute:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #84 on: January 29, 2018, 06:56:22 PM
I think you need to get 2, just to have one for comparison too, so I will sent you 600.

Email me a copy of your credit card (both sides) and address so that I can proceed with the transfer.

I was made aware that there will be some transfer fees, so you will first need to send me $50 so that I can start the transfer procedure

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #85 on: January 29, 2018, 07:00:20 PM
I was made aware that there will be some transfer fees, so you will first need to send me $50 so that I can start the transfer procedure

I was unaware that you are a Nigerian Prince.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #86 on: January 29, 2018, 07:09:12 PM
due to current government issues, my family needs to get our royal fortune out of the country and would gladly share it with you, if you are willing to help us.

za Offline EZrider

Reply #87 on: January 29, 2018, 07:09:48 PM

I was unaware that you are a Nigerian Prince.

I have some genuine Nigerian PST for sale. $10 each. Send credit card details and $50 to cover transfers...  :D

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #88 on: January 29, 2018, 08:00:21 PM
 :like: :like: Right on Smashie!!!
Barry

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #89 on: February 01, 2018, 09:45:35 AM
Not buying the new one; happy with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD