Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM Wingman Chisel Mod!

ddogu · 12 · 1838

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
LM Wingman Chisel Mod!
on: January 26, 2018, 09:44:25 PM

I like Laura Kampf's work in general and envy her workshop! She modded a Wingman with a chisel. The craftmanship does not look perfect (the chisel doesn't seem to be at a 180-degree angle) and I'm not sure Wingman's structure would hold against hammer impacts, but still a nice job.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Re: LM Wingman Chisel Mod!
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 11:59:43 PM
Wow. Excellent video and production. First time I've seen her but will definitley put her on my radar. I liked the no talking and good music. That was excellent.

Also a chisel grind can be so extremely sharp, or more accurately a zero grind!
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 02:24:44 PM
 :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :like: :drool: :drool:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 06:05:50 PM
As someone who is underwhelmed by the Surge's tshank holder (and the scissors) this looks like a mod that might worth trying on a bigger tool. Particularly for the scissors if I ever figure out what you guys are doing with the t-shank that I"m not. While I wouldn't want to bang on a multi with a hammer, a light mallet or baton such as she shows would be be fine in all but the hardest wood.

Also, if you push with your hand on the handle, rather than using a striker, isn't it classed more as a gouge? So this could split the difference.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 12:56:09 AM
Paring chisel.  No hammer.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 10:24:26 AM
As someone who is underwhelmed by the Surge's tshank holder (and the scissors) this looks like a mod that might worth trying on a bigger tool.

I do not own a Surge and never had a chance to use any but that holder always looked pretty solid to me. Why do you think it's underwhelming?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 03:04:07 AM
I do not own a Surge and never had a chance to use any but that holder always looked pretty solid to me. Why do you think it's underwhelming?

The file and saw that LM make for the Surge are quite a bit  thicker than any tshank blade I've bought for jig saw. That results in a wobbly blade, and thus bent/broken blades and sloppy cuts if you use anything else.

I presume that the thicker blades were chosen by LM to increase their durability, but it also (if you'll pardon the pun) shanks the utility of using the t-shank profile. There are various options for shims- I use a piece from a gift card. But that is a small, easily lost, not easily managed piece that I have to carry to reach the full potential of the tool. It's a pain in the butt in controlled conditions, and when I need to switch blades between a wood saw to a metal saw when my hands are cold I'm pretty sure I'm losing something. Even then, they quickly wear. I've tried using soda cans for my material. I've tried flashing. I've tried adding tape. They all fail fast. Add that I think the design of the holder itself is clumsy- can't open it with gloves or cold hands, if your hands are wet the latch is thin enough to cut skin, and it jams easily on debris and dirt.The big selling point for me of the Surge is this ability and the execution, at least in my sample, failed.

Now, my Surge was part of a group of tools that had been taken hostage by the TSA, and from the date codes it was made in 2011. I've heard people mention the design of the adapter has changed. But I don't have the disposable income to buy a new one to find out if they've changed it ENOUGH. Maybe there is a trick I haven't seen and havne't figured out on my own. Don't know. Should have to perform magic tricks to make a hand held, unpowered tool work.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 03:49:57 AM

The file and saw that LM make for the Surge are quite a bit  thicker than any tshank blade I've bought for jig saw. That results in a wobbly blade, and thus bent/broken blades and sloppy cuts if you use anything else.

I presume that the thicker blades were chosen by LM to increase their durability, but it also (if you'll pardon the pun) shanks the utility of using the t-shank profile. There are various options for shims- I use a piece from a gift card. But that is a small, easily lost, not easily managed piece that I have to carry to reach the full potential of the tool. It's a pain in the butt in controlled conditions, and when I need to switch blades between a wood saw to a metal saw when my hands are cold I'm pretty sure I'm losing something. Even then, they quickly wear. I've tried using soda cans for my material. I've tried flashing. I've tried adding tape. They all fail fast. Add that I think the design of the holder itself is clumsy- can't open it with gloves or cold hands, if your hands are wet the latch is thin enough to cut skin, and it jams easily on debris and dirt.The big selling point for me of the Surge is this ability and the execution, at least in my sample, failed.

Now, my Surge was part of a group of tools that had been taken hostage by the TSA, and from the date codes it was made in 2011. I've heard people mention the design of the adapter has changed. But I don't have the disposable income to buy a new one to find out if they've changed it ENOUGH. Maybe there is a trick I haven't seen and havne't figured out on my own. Don't know. Should have to perform magic tricks to make a hand held, unpowered tool work.

All told the new version blade exchanger didn't improve things any.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 08:35:46 AM

Whoa... That was quite explanatory and... sad actually. I didn't quite get why some people thought LM was not caring about the features/quality of its products anymore, now I get them more...

There's this Jigsaw Blade Holder but it is for Wave and Charge. :-[ :think:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 12:40:56 PM
I kind of agree with ironraven... :P
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 06:50:32 AM
Whoa... That was quite explanatory and... sad actually. I didn't quite get why some people thought LM was not caring about the features/quality of its products anymore, now I get them more...

I don't know if it IS really a matter of quality control. I think the design is glitched, but I can also see an argument that a file the thickness of a jig saw blade would be too fragile. There are other tools that hold jigsaw blade, but those are all lighter duty. I think they tried hard, and if you accept that you've got a component that holds the intended saw or the intended file, you're doing fine. (I really like the Surge file, held in my hand). And coincidentally, you can get these thinner, less robust blades to fit but they aren't really compatible. I"m just stubborn and I like the idea of being able to buy any tshank and put it in there. Heck, I hadn't even cleaned my Surge up from the TSA grime on it before I was buying a carbide tile saw blade for it which is something I'd never use my jig saw for, and metal blades. I was very hopeful.

I think the jigsaw blade holder you're thinking of is Tofty's, over on Shapeways? I'd buy it, but I don't like the Wave- the geometery of the Surge works, but the Wave feels like I'm about to slice my thumb print off every time I try to deploy the knife blade. Admittedly, it is a gen 1 without the bit drivers so the shape is a little different, but still it's not me.

But I'm not sure if the idea itself isn't just flawed. Jigsaw blades are thin, by their nature they aren't super robust if you twist them side to side, and that is what happens when you use a hand saw. They were made for a machine that will hold them in the same plane for every stroke. And every powered stroke at that. I don't see many handles that will hold a jigsaw blade on the market. You do see sawzall blade holders, and those get results so long as you respect the flex, but they can take more than a jigsaw blade can.

That is an idea. An Alox SAK that isn't a pen knife but a jack knife so it has all the hinges one end, then a holder with a screw you run through the entire thing for a sawzall blade. Maybe you could get away with some of the tools you could put on a hollow rivet, but the peening would be complicated.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:52:42 AM by ironraven »

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 08:49:14 AM

That is an idea. An Alox SAK that isn't a pen knife but a jack knife so it has all the hinges one end, then a holder with a screw you run through the entire thing for a sawzall blade. Maybe you could get away with some of the tools you could put on a hollow rivet, but the peening would be complicated.

Hmm... Experienced modders like Jaya_man or obi1 might be able to give this idea a go with their equipment and knowhow.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%