Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox EvoGrip S54 (pic heavy)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Victorinox EvoGrip S54 (pic heavy)
on: January 26, 2018, 11:13:56 PM
A couple of days ago I stumbled upon a webstore that had the Victorinox EvoGrip S54 on sale for about half the prize of what these normally go for around here.  A bit sceptical I ordered one, thinking that this was probably a mistake, and that I would receive another, thinner, Victorinox knife.  At that time, the webshop showed they had 4 of them in stock.

The next day, early morning, the doorbell rang ... and yes, the postman dropped of a box from the webshop.  Still thinking I was going to be disappointed, I opened the package and inside was quite a big sized Vic box, about the size of the Swisschamp box, could it be ...
YES !!!  It wasn't a mistake, it was a Victorinox EvoGrip S54  :mail:.

Back in 2014, during our vacation to Austria with my parents, and my brother and his girlfriend, I saw the Wenger EvoGrip S54 in a shop in Liechtenstein.  But since I'd already bought a couple of knives that week, and the fact that my father stood behind me asking if I really needed another SAK, because I already had one (even today, he still thinks that my Swisschamp is my only SAK  :rofl:), I let it pass ( :bnghd:).  A couple of weeks (months  ::)) later I forgot about the S54 and the years passed ...

Until a couple of days ago  :D.

I know, this is not the Wenger version ...  But on the other hand, I do prefer the Vic updates on the design.

Anyway, here are the pics:

And since it was almost half of what they normally cost ...  ::)

Show content

When I received the first S54 and I saw it wasn't a mistake, I went back to the site right away to order the other three (one for my collection and two for my boys).  But there was only one left ...  :ahhh 

So I took out my credit card and placed the order as fast as I could ...  And about 30 minutes later it said "out of stock", and two hours later it said "never available again" ...

I'm happy I still got two, but I would've liked to get two for my boys also ... oh well, they still have their Silvertech Swisschamps, their Charge AL's, their birth year Soldiers (which I'm still looking for myself...) and so on ... so I think they're good  ;).

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Victorinox EvoGrip S54 (pic heavy)
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 11:46:25 PM
Sounds like your boys have more SAKs than I do.  :ahhh
(Granted, my SAK collection is small, and my plier tool “collection” even smaller.  :facepalm: )
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 05:25:10 AM
Very nice indeed, you were not kidding about the pics, the app crashed for me while looking through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Online zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 02:11:25 PM
I have one of those. Won it in a Challenge drawing here on MT.O!

I can’t imagine ever using it, buts cool to look at!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 02:34:32 PM
Very nice indeed, you were not kidding about the pics, the app crashed for me while looking through them.

Sorry for the inconvenience mate, you can't say that I didn't warn you  ;).

I have one of those. Won it in a Challenge drawing here on MT.O!

I can’t imagine ever using it, buts cool to look at!

I bought the second one to be kept mint in my collection, but I was planning on using the other one for EDC, it would take the place of my trusty Swisschamp (would be the first time in years that I don't carry my Swisschamp).  I'm going to give it a go a couple of days (maybe weeks) and see how it goes.  I will carry it in my front pocket, but I will use a Vic belt loop hanger (I do the same with my Swisschamp), this makes carrying such big SAK's a lot more comfortable in my opinion.
And you're right, they are very nice to look at, and to fiddle with  :climber:.

The compass is surprisingly accurate, and quite easy to use in combination with a topo map to determine your bearing or position, and for a compass freak enthusiast as myself that's also nice  :tu:.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 02:50:55 PM
I have to admit it's kind of beautiful. Even if it's disastrous from an ergonomic point of view. That colossal chunk of plastic holding the diddly compass - what were they smoking! Awful awful awful. But pretty!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 03:12:51 PM
I have to admit it's kind of beautiful. Even if it's disastrous from an ergonomic point of view. That colossal chunk of plastic holding the diddly compass - what were they smoking! Awful awful awful. But pretty!

I've been thinking about using the plastic compass holder as storage for some small things, since the plastic is hollow. 

I'm thinking of using a piece of cork that I can jam in the plastic compass holder, in which I can put a needle (since the S54 has no needle storage near the corckscrew, like the Vics do), and maybe some fishing line, hooks and some small lead balls as fishing sinker (or whatever you call this in English).  Or some matches and a piece of match striker, or even a small firesteel, if I can find one that fits ... I'm going to try some of these options and see what works best.

That way all the "lost space" would be put to good use  ;).

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 03:28:15 PM
I never knew it was hollow. You could just keep pepper in there for when you go camping! (Provided you feel like schlepping that thing with you!)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 04:19:37 PM
A couple of days ago I stumbled upon a webstore that had the Victorinox EvoGrip S54 on sale for about half the prize of what these normally go for

When I received the first S54 and I saw it wasn't a mistake, I went back to the site right away to order the other three (one for my collection and two for my boys).  But there was only one left ...  :ahhh 

So I took out my credit card and placed the order as fast as I could ....

I'm happy I still got two,

Congratulations on the great buy! I am the same way. If I find a good deal I end up buying multiples.  :like: :tu: :tu: :cheers:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 09:34:14 PM
A couple of days ago I stumbled upon a webstore that had the Victorinox EvoGrip S54 on sale for about half the prize of what these normally go for

So I took out my credit card and placed the order as fast as I could ....

I'm happy I still got two,

Congratulations on the great buy! I am the same way. If I find a good deal I end up buying multiples.  :like: :tu: :tu: :cheers:

Thanks mate  :salute:.

Yep, half the price means you can buy two, that's how my brain works ...

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 10:17:38 PM
Some new pics of my S54, I already posted these in another topic, but just wanted to add them to this one also ...

us Online zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 07:15:03 AM
I dug my S54 out tonight. Very interesting SAK. Do they make a sheath for these?  I could never carry it in my pocket!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 09:42:22 AM
I'd recommend "strike anywhere" matches to store in that compas.
No need for a striker then.

What's your BY sak?
You're just in time to get your order in :pok:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 02:24:40 PM

What's your BY sak?

What's a BY sak ?  :think:

Just in time to get my order in ... ?  again  :think:

I must be missing something here because I have no idea what you're talking about ...   :-[.   

Please explain :pok:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 02:44:48 PM

What's your BY sak?

I must be missing something here because I have no idea what you're talking about ...   :-[.   

He’s off to used SAK nirvana to buy a bunch of SAKs.  :ahhh

P.S, any news on the ‘99 pricing, Nick?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 02:52:03 PM

What's your BY sak?

Nothing yet.
I'm planning on sending a new mail early in the oncoming week.

TG: BY = Birth Year...

I know someone who's got cabinets stuffed with TSA SAKs and will meet up again with said person on the 22nd.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 03:22:30 PM

What's your BY sak?

Nothing yet.

I know someone who's got cabinets stuffed with TSA SAKs and will meet up again with said person on the 22nd.

Birth Year SAK ...  :doh:

I've been on the lookout for a '77 Soldier for quite some time now and another member here at MTO is also keeping an eye out for my BY SAK.  So, like I said, I was born in '77 so a Vic or Wenger '77 Soldier is definitely on my wishlist  ;).

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 03:24:29 PM

What's your BY sak?

Nothing yet.

Birth Year SAK ...  :doh:

I've been on the lookout for a '77 Soldier for quite some time now and another member here at MTO is also keeping an eye out for my BY SAK.  So, like I said, I was born in '77 so a Vic or Wenger '77 Soldier is definitely on my wishlist  ;).
Noted :salute:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 04:09:08 PM
I dug my S54 out tonight. Very interesting SAK. Do they make a sheath for these?  I could never carry it in my pocket!

(Image removed from quote.)

I've searched the net for a Sheath for the S54, and I ended up buying three different ones, hoping that one of them would fit.  Turned out they all fit  :D.

Here are some pics of the different sheaths I got:

First one is the 4.0521.XL sheath, this is one of the sheaths that fits the S54 according to the Victorinox catalogue:

This sheath is perfect for the S54, it's quite a big sheath, but very well made, well known Vic real quality Leather. And the belt loop on the back feels very sturdy :tu:.

Next up is the other sheath that Victorinox recommends for the S54 in their catalogue, it's the 4.0481.3 sheath:

This one is a tight fit, and the "Vinyl Leather lookalike stuff" feels very vulnerable.  My son has the same sheath for his Swisschamp, and one time he put his Swisschamp in the sheath with the keyring pointing up and it (the sharp end of the key ring) pierced a small hole trough the "Vinyl Leather lookalike stuff" ...  This is my least favorite of the three, and the most expensive ...  It also has a belt loop system with velcro on the back, again, not my favorite choice.

Last but not least is the 4.0545.3 sheath, this one is made to hold the Swisschamp and a Maglite, so I thought it might just work for the S54.  And it does  :D

This one is also made out of a Vinyl Leather combination, but it feels a lot more sturdy than the Vinyl from the previous sheath.  This sheath is a tight fit at first, but my S54 has been in it for two weeks and by now it fits like a glove  ;).  Do make sure to fold the inner loop, which is there to hold the maglite, to the back of the sheath, else it's an even tighter fit.  The belt loop is secured with 4 heavy duty rivets and feels indestructible.

Here's a side by side pic:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:55:23 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

us Online zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 04:52:16 PM
Thank u!!!!

us Online zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 05:04:38 PM
I ordered this one. Try it first as it seems smaller. Thanks again!!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 05:33:09 PM
Glad I could help  :salute:.

Like I said, I've searched the net for days, checked all the reviews of the S54 (both Vic and Wenger versions) on youtube  to get some info on a possible sheath, but found nothing.  So I just ordered these three.  I knew that the fake Leather Vinyl one would hold my S54, since I tested it with my son's sheath, so I ordered that one to have at least one that fits.  But I was very happy to see that the other two also fit, since they are a lot better made in my opinion.

The best one is the 4.0521.XL sheath in my opinion, a great fit (the other two are pretty tight at first), very well made, real leather, and a beautiful sheath to look at ...  It's bit bigger as the others, but then again, it's made to hold a big SAK, right  ;).

Edit:

Just saw that you ordered the 4.0545.3 sheath, that's the one I use most of the time just because it's smaller than the 4.0521.XL sheath.  That's also the one I use to store my S54 in when I'm not using it.  This one is also very well made, and the material feels just bullet-proof.  I can't tell you how it holds up after some long-term use, since I've only been using it for about two weeks, but I've got a good feeling about this one  ;).

Like I said, it's a tight fit at first, so make sure to stretch it a bit (I've stretched it first with my fingers, then I put the S54 in it and let it sit for a couple of days). And make sure to fold the mag lite holder flat against the back of the sheath.  Oh, and don't push the S54 down to the bottom of the sheath the first week.  Since it's an 85mm SAK instead of a 91mm SAK it sits a bit deeper, and being a tight fit in the first week, it can be quite difficult to get it back out ... Adding a small lanyard is a good solution for this.

Hope you like it as much as I do  :tu:.

us Online zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 08:30:02 PM
Thank you for the advice!!

us Online zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 08:27:17 PM
Got mine in today. Will leave the S54 in it to help stretch it, but it fits nicely.

Thanks again for the tip!!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 11:07:27 PM
You're welcome mate  :cheers:.

us Online zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 12:22:31 AM
I’m going to let it set in the sheath a bit before I try to carry it. Let it break in.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 01:15:36 AM
I’m going to let it set in the sheath a bit before I try to carry it. Let it break in.

I did the same with mine  ;).

Now it fits perfectly, only thing you have to look out for is the lock from the knife, it sticks out a bit and sometimes it catches on the inside of the sheath while pulling the S54 out, but not in a way that it becomes a real problem.

us Online zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 03:03:37 PM

Now it fits perfectly, only thing you have to look out for is the lock from the knife, it sticks out a bit and sometimes it catches on the inside of the sheath while pulling the S54 out, but not in a way that it becomes a real problem.

I have been taking the SAK out of the sheath and putting it back in. That lock catches badly every time. It might end up being an issue...

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 12:49:52 AM

I have been taking the SAK out of the sheath and putting it back in. That lock catches badly every time. It might end up being an issue...

I'm sad to hear this mate, like I said, mine catches sometimes (about 1 out of 5), and when I use both hands to get the S54 out it never catches.  Pulling on the S54 with one hand, while using thumb and index finger of the other hand to push the front sides, at the edge of the sheath around the height of the velcro patch, together, so this makes for a bit more room above the lock, so it never catches (at least not on my sheath).

I'm wondering, maybe yours is just a bit more tight, or mine a bit more loose, since it only happens occasionally on mine, and on yours it seems like a real problem.  I hope it gets better in time.

us Online zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 01:05:09 AM
Since I trimmed the inner flap a bit it’s better.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD