Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show us your fixed blades

Benner · 4755 · 286768

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Re: Show us your fixed blades
Reply #3660 on: October 23, 2017, 04:02:19 PM
 :like: :like:
z      &     z
Andrew

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3661 on: October 23, 2017, 09:03:42 PM
 :hatsoff:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3662 on: October 23, 2017, 09:56:41 PM

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #3663 on: October 26, 2017, 04:39:06 PM
My new Parang. Made by a friend on another board.
20171024_112640.jpg
* 20171024_112640.jpg (Filesize: 172.48 KB)
20171024_112758.jpg
* 20171024_112758.jpg (Filesize: 176.08 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3664 on: October 26, 2017, 06:12:54 PM
nice looking parang
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #3665 on: October 28, 2017, 03:01:55 PM

Wow! Classy looking and looks like there's been quite a bit of elbow grease behind it! I also have a new one, bought a long ago byut still unused, the Parangatang from KaBar. That blade shape makes them fierce choppers and very balanced tools, I'm hoping to give mine a workout soon.
Maybe we should create a Parang owners club?  :cheers:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hr Offline styx

Reply #3666 on: October 28, 2017, 10:22:49 PM
how many of those nice toys do you have?

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3667 on: October 28, 2017, 10:30:08 PM

:tu:   :like:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #3668 on: October 29, 2017, 08:53:28 PM
Gifts for two good friend...kindred spirits :cheers:

Blades forged from leftover file tangs, handles leftover micarta, brown/black.white

• No Life Club
Reply #3669 on: October 29, 2017, 09:02:09 PM
Forged from a bearing casing, brass/copper/brass guard/bolster, orange synthetic and brown linen micarta handle, brass butt cap....and a story  :facepalm:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #3670 on: November 03, 2017, 02:34:32 PM
Medium and small

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3671 on: November 04, 2017, 02:36:16 PM
some new and 1 old diving knives - the newer ones are a lot more discreet
IMG_8925.JPG
* IMG_8925.JPG (Filesize: 90.99 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #3672 on: November 07, 2017, 02:22:23 AM
Andrew

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #3673 on: November 07, 2017, 02:26:41 AM
some new and 1 old diving knives - the newer ones are a lot more discreet
:like:
large dive knives had a lot of appeal to me when I was younger.(but not as dive knives).
Andrew

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #3674 on: November 07, 2017, 07:56:04 AM
Forged from a bearing casing, brass/copper/brass guard/bolster, orange synthetic and brown linen micarta handle, brass butt cap....and a story  :facepalm:

Don't leave us hanging, what's the story? :)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

• No Life Club
Reply #3675 on: November 07, 2017, 08:58:52 AM
Don't leave us hanging, what's the story? :)

Apologies, I was a bit under the weather and forgot  :hatsoff:

I wanted to ask some opinions on this knife, or at least it's future.....

I'm still very much a nooooob, so while forging I hit once too many on the bevel right at the back of the blade.

I know now how I could've fixed it, but in the heat of the moment I decided to go for a Brut de Forge look, so I added dings (<- very technical blacksmith's term) up and down the blade  :facepalm:

While doing the post heat treat grinding so much of the dings came out that only the ones showing my inexperience remained  :facepalm:

I didn't know what to do, I was in that very exciting part when the knife is nearing completion and nothing else matters........

Turns out this is one of the best cutters I've ever made, not surprising because it's FFG with a convex micro bevel.

Much as I like it, I have too many knives already, and this one was supposed to go towards the hobby paying for itself.

It's a very good knife, but how do I sell it with the imperfections?......and every time I cut with it I want to keep it  :facepalm:

There's still more than enough meat left in that blade to grind out the imperfections, but I would need to remove and rebuild the handle, most likely anneal and re-heat treat as well
Lot's of material & time down the drain...... :cry:

The only idea I've had so far is doing some destructive testing, see exactly how strong the stick tang setup is, and if it let's go I can go ahead and rebuild.

If it doesn't  :think:

hr Offline styx

Reply #3676 on: November 07, 2017, 01:46:31 PM
look, that knife is unique because of the small imperfections and that just enhances it. we can see your progression and journey as a maker written out on that blade. regrettably i'm still unemployed or you'd already have a PM with an offer for that knife

don't forget that people are willing to pay substantial sums for poorly made Yakutian knife like objects (won't insult the Yakut people by saying some of those designs are perfect)

• No Life Club
Reply #3677 on: November 07, 2017, 02:58:35 PM
look, that knife is unique because of the small imperfections and that just enhances it. we can see your progression and journey as a maker written out on that blade. regrettably i'm still unemployed or you'd already have a PM with an offer for that knife

don't forget that people are willing to pay substantial sums for poorly made Yakutian knife like objects (won't insult the Yakut people by saying some of those designs are perfect)

Thanks for the compliment.......and I trust and hope you find work soon.  Over here we are in very tough times economically and many people have lost their jobs.   :salute:

But...... :pok:

You're knife people
.......me's knife people.......
................not everybody's knife people!  :rofl:

On another knife I also left some forge marks, it was very nice and symmetrical, well finished and I think very pretty, and still a more knowledgeable friend asked me "are you going to fix that?"  :facepalm:

I have to add, the knife is not nearly finished to the standard where I would send it out, held back on that till I decided what to do.......few cosmetic issues on the guard and an even finish on the blade.

I've sold a grand total of 5 knives, everybody has assured me I'm way too cheap, but they all went to friends and family.

If I was on the outside looking in, I would want this knife and not only because how it performs, but I guess most people don't see it that way.......

I suspect this knife might be in a no man's land, not perfect, and not imperfect enough.....  :facepalm:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3678 on: November 07, 2017, 03:31:09 PM
Maybe, but that blade looks good to me.
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

Reply #3679 on: November 07, 2017, 08:06:27 PM
Have you considered testing your knives on Youtube? Could help you out with the customer base

• No Life Club
Reply #3680 on: November 08, 2017, 09:26:56 AM
Have you considered testing your knives on Youtube? Could help you out with the customer base

I did start a facebook page and there are some testing videos up.  The page itself has been more trouble than it's worth if I can be honest  :facepalm:

Youtube is going badly downhill, looks like many of the gun & knife channels will be dead or moved elsewhere in the not too distant future.

My problem is not marketing  :D .......it's production  :facepalm:

Dream as I might, it's very unlikely knife making will ever support me  :oops:

I've confirmed my order of a proper belt grinder this morning, I was hoping to pay for it with money saved from knife sales, but that's not going to happen.

This will be paid for from the bonus we'll hopefully get, and I hope it will allow me to get more done with a lot less effort

I'm using toys now, fixing with files and sand paper.......this is a machine8)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3681 on: November 08, 2017, 01:42:11 PM
Nice new toy!
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

Reply #3682 on: November 08, 2017, 03:38:53 PM
nice machine

• No Life Club
Reply #3683 on: November 09, 2017, 02:32:10 PM
Nice new toy!

:salute:

So much more than a toy.....big blue piece of hope  :salute:

And it's 8 weeks and then 2000km and a border crossing away still  :facepalm:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3684 on: November 09, 2017, 08:51:10 PM
Dude!

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Want!  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Don't think I need to add anything else

Everything’s adjustable

• No Life Club
Reply #3685 on: November 10, 2017, 07:09:24 AM
Thanks Tony  :salute:

I know this might sound silly, but at age 42 and with everything going on locally and in my life, this was one of those big life decisions.......

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3686 on: November 10, 2017, 05:26:34 PM
I have wanted one of those for a few years now but something always comes up
I've probably got enough bits to make one now.....  maybe over Christmas  :think:

Or I travel to SA and play with yours  :D

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

• No Life Club
Reply #3687 on: November 13, 2017, 09:48:27 AM

Or I travel to SA and play with yours  :D

:cheers:

Firstly, more than welcome, but you need to stop sooner on the way down and land in Namibia.......highly recommended, even by South Africans  :rofl:

I checked out so many DIY videos and probably found a source for a contact wheel, but I think sanity has prevailed  :salute:

I'm very fortunate I guess that I could basically choose between 3 excellent South African manufacturers, logistics made the choice for me to some extent....

The bit of time I had to work on Saturday just served to convince me......
I'm busy with 3 knives and one Kukri, on Saturday I spent an hour on the baby belt grinder, 2 hours draw filing.  Let's say 1 hour on the profile, 2 hours with the angle grinder roughing in the bevels, 2 hours on the belt grinder.
So conservatively 8 hours in on this Kukri, and I'm looking at about 20 hours sanding..... :facepalm:

I know from ONE experience that with a real belt grinder I could've turned that piece of steel into dust in less than one hour.....

I'm definitely doing this for love and not money, but I have to get to the point where the hobby at least pays for itself, the other option is no option at all  :salute:

I'm

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3688 on: November 13, 2017, 04:36:06 PM

Firstly, more than welcome, but you need to stop sooner on the way down and land in Namibia.......highly recommended, even by South Africans 

I checked out so many DIY videos and probably found a source for a contact wheel, but I think sanity has prevailed 

Probably need to buy a world map next  :-[    :facepalm:

I've been 'saving up'
Motor and pulleys from a lathe
parts from an old 'cross trainer'
assorted pieces of useful crap
and a few skateboard wheels

What could possibly go wrong?   :shrug:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3689 on: November 13, 2017, 06:58:57 PM

Firstly, more than welcome, but you need to stop sooner on the way down and land in Namibia.......highly recommended, even by South Africans 

I checked out so many DIY videos and probably found a source for a contact wheel, but I think sanity has prevailed 

Probably need to buy a world map next  :-[    :facepalm:

I've been 'saving up'
Motor and pulleys from a lathe
parts from an old 'cross trainer'
assorted pieces of useful crap
and a few skateboard wheels

What could possibly go wrong?   :shrug:
Sounds like some of my engineering.
Nate

SEND IT!

Donations