Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP650

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Gerber MP650
on: January 30, 2018, 03:15:30 PM
I chance upon a MP650 Evolution today.. Its new in the original packaging, very old and yellowed though.. The shop owner willing to give it to me for about $105USD. There's only the normal needle nose pliers and sheath. No other plier head. Bugging me the whole day.. Not too convince I should make the jump for it. I think it's there for who knows when and I believe I can further negotiate the price down... Hmm..

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Gerber MP650
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 03:21:40 PM
You wouldn't have posted if you didn't want us to persuade you to buy it. Negotiate like your life depends on it.  :pok:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 03:34:40 PM
You wouldn't have posted if you didn't want us to persuade you to buy it. Negotiate like your life depends on it.  :pok:

Lol.. Cos for this tool, I know mostly I will not be using it. It's going straight to my shelf... Looking at the prices when this pops up on ebay, it looks like a very good deal..

Btw, in that odd ball shop, I saw a Variant of the Mp600 that I have not even heard of. It have a special 'L' shaped tool in it. The rest of the implements are pretty much a standard Mp600. If I remember reading it correctly, it is some sort of Variant for "horse hoof mantainence"..

That shop owner is rather old. I am quite sure he have no idea what he have or are selling in the shop. His prices tag for MTs are like from 10 yrs ago or even more. Some older people here, have the mentality that "I rather hug it to the grave than to sell you at this price" .. You know what I mean.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 03:39:32 PM by Sam Lim »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 06:42:40 PM

Lol.. Cos for this tool, I know mostly I will not be using it. It's going straight to my shelf... Looking at the prices when this pops up on ebay, it looks like a very good deal..

Btw, in that odd ball shop, I saw a Variant of the Mp600 that I have not even heard of. It have a special 'L' shaped tool in it. The rest of the implements are pretty much a standard Mp600. If I remember reading it correctly, it is some sort of Variant for "horse hoof mantainence"..

That shop owner is rather old. I am quite sure he have no idea what he have or are selling in the shop. His prices tag for MTs are like from 10 yrs ago or even more. Some older people here, have the mentality that "I rather hug it to the grave than to sell you at this price" .. You know what I mean.

I don't believe what I'm reading...  :o :o :o :o
The L shaped tool is a hoofpick and the model is called the Trailrider. It is virtually as rare as the MP650 series.
You  are so  lucky. I spent over 2yrs trying to find one. Goodness me do not waste a moment, Go Grab both now!!

If he has multiples, I would definately be interested in buying also..seriously.

WOW incredible to think.  :ahhh :ahhh
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 09:24:43 PM
How much is the Trailrider?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 11:59:27 PM
How much is the Trailrider?

It's about the same price. Plus minus, $100usd.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 01:01:48 PM
U$105 is a great deal for a NIB MP650, while U$100 is an OK price for an MP600 trailrider variant
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 01:51:10 PM
U$105 is a great deal for a NIB MP650, while U$100 is an OK price for an MP600 trailrider variant

Hmm. I dun know if I should do it. I am more keen on the MP650.. But once I jump, that will start another treasure hunt for the many pliers..  :ahhh

The Trailrider, I am most likely not going for it. Seems like a big premium for the 'L' tool that I have no use for..

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 06:12:16 PM

Hmm. I dun know if I should do it. I am more keen on the MP650.. But once I jump, that will start another treasure hunt for the many pliers..  :ahhh

The Trailrider, I am most likely not going for it. Seems like a big premium for the 'L' tool that I have no use for..

Would you consider getting it for me?

Pretty please

Is it boxed?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 07:55:04 PM

Pretty please

Is it boxed?

It's boxed.. Or rather in those hard plastic package. The packaging is really old and yellow though.. Lol.. I was waiting if you would asked. I tried to search for this model and your thread in MTO appeared in 2015..  :)

I am actually quite a distant from you though.. I am not too sure about the shipping. It could get ridiculously high...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:56:58 PM by Sam Lim »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 08:52:28 PM

Pretty please

Is it boxed?

It's boxed.. Or rather in those hard plastic package. The packaging is really old and yellow though.. Lol.. I was waiting if you would asked. I tried to search for this model and your thread in MTO appeared in 2015..  :)

I am actually quite a distant from you though.. I am not too sure about the shipping. It could get ridiculously high...

No worries then
But, if I may just say this...regret is a painful thing. I'm pretty certain you will never ever come across a chance again like this to grab that Trailrider. It is unbelievably hard to find used, let alone new!
I think you'll kick yourself in years to come.
The MP650 if it only has one head is much less of a find, it is a good find...but tracking down those heads will be a long a laborious road.
Have you considered buying and using as future swap stuff.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 08:55:04 PM

The SS DET (cap crimper) MP650 pliers are almost impossible to find except as part of a full military MP650 kit, but all the other plier heads are relatively easy to find, but can be expensive, especially the cable cutter and technician (fisherman) heads.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 09:21:04 PM

Pretty please

Is it boxed?

No worries then
But, if I may just say this...regret is a painful thing. I'm pretty certain you will never ever come across a chance again like this to grab that Trailrider. It is unbelievably hard to find used, let alone new!
I think you'll kick yourself in years to come.
The MP650 if it only has one head is much less of a find, it is a good find...but tracking down those heads will be a long a laborious road.
Have you considered buying and using as future swap stuff.

You Sir, are playing with my mind again...  :ahhh :ahhh

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 09:37:59 AM
I made the jump! Bought the MP650. Theres only one head now. I placed an order on ebay for a blunt nose... One big surprise that never occurred to me.. The pliers doesn't slide back?.. I only notice that when I saw the giant sheath at the back... well no biggie.. just wasn't expecting this.. :facepalm: Straight to the shelf!

Few other finds in the store. Multiple old school sheaths at just $7USD a piece. The Tool adaptor was at about $25, I bargained it down to $15  :D.

Another surprise!

Its very unfortunate that the owner decided to repack 2 of them as the package was broken..
Theres another one that's still in the original clamshell. but its cracked somewhere.. Its a home for I dun know how many cockroaches for god knows how long... I saw many legs....Yes, legs.. Old molted exos of mini cockroaches I believe... :facepalm:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 01:27:04 PM
nice catch!  :salute:
ot some classics in there...and those sheaths  :drool:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 01:43:30 PM
Good catch!  :cheers:

Why does the 650 not flick?

What is the mechanism where the flick buttons usually are?

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 01:50:25 PM

Instead of the plier sliding mechanism the MP650 has two fixed position clips inside the handles which retain/release the different plier heads. 
This means there is a lot of wasted space inside the handles which could be used to install several longer component tools.

Edit:  There are two versions of the MP650 handles, the "Military" version with springs to help splay the handles, and the "Civilian" version which doesn't have the springs.  Note that the retaining clips in the "Civilian" version are quite fragile and easy to break, the "Military" version has a different (much more robust) design clip.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:05:05 PM by gregozedobe »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 01:54:22 PM

HA! I think most people thinks it operates just like a standard multiplier. So do it, initially. Until I got this. There's no track/rail for plier head to slide in and out, it's fixed. It's a full size pliers!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 01:55:45 PM

Instead of the plier sliding mechanism the MP650 has two fixed position clips inside the hanldes which retain/release the different plier heads. 
This means there is a lot of wasted space inside the handles which could be used to install several longer component tools.
Cheers Greg  :salute:

An interesting history it seems from reading Amazon reviews!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 01:56:27 PM

HA! I think most people thinks it operates just like a standard multiplier. So do it, initially. Until I got this. There's no track/rail for plier head to slide in and out, it's fixed. It's a full size pliers!
Thanks Sam - You have at least got yourself a nice rareity  :cheers:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 02:13:42 PM
nice catch!  :salute:
ot some classics in there...and those sheaths  :drool:

There are quite a bit of ancient sheath there. Even new leather sheath for tool adapter. The hard boxy type. I also saw a duo pouch victorinox sheath. It comes in olive green and brown/black, can't remwmber. Its seems a little plasticky water proof kinda material.

This actually saddens me more.. I know they have been there for a very very long time. It just shows how much interest or lack of interest these things are over here.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 02:34:46 PM
Big fan of LM leather sheaths. Here's my new MP400 in one:
20180209_133003.jpg
* 20180209_133003.jpg (Filesize: 188.99 KB)
20180209_133027.jpg
* 20180209_133027.jpg (Filesize: 219.87 KB)
20180209_133043.jpg
* 20180209_133043.jpg (Filesize: 273.99 KB)

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 02:47:44 PM
You wouldn't have posted if you didn't want us to persuade you to buy it.

ehehehehehe dude, you should be a shrink or something! :pok: :cheers: Awesome analysis.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 03:09:49 PM
You wouldn't have posted if you didn't want us to persuade you to buy it.

ehehehehehe dude, you should be a shrink or something! :pok: :cheers: Awesome analysis.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Initially I am really sitting on the fence.. I really didn't want to go hunting for the pliers. Until someone made me a hard to resist trade...

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 03:15:36 PM
Outstanding - well done Sammy!!!  :salute:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 04:11:43 PM
Great score on those old school sheaths , especially the Wave one  :drool:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 04:17:03 PM
Outstanding - well done Sammy!!!  :salute:

Thanks Fuzzy!!

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 04:19:11 PM
Great score on those old school sheaths , especially the Wave one  :drool:

They still have like 5 or 6 of them in there.. All new. Agree, they look awesome. It's actually quite amazing for the condition they are in after so many years.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 04:22:16 PM
I realise the tool adapter that I got was a first version. It wouldnt fit other modern models. A tiny bit of bummer.. But it's fine.. Is this more common or the 2nd version more common?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 04:23:28 PM
Big fan of LM leather sheaths. Here's my new MP400 in one:

I bet your Gerber is rather confuse now..   ???
 :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD