Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

111mm SAK 30 Day Challenge - open to all Feb 1

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Re: 111mm SAK 30 Day Challenge - open to all Feb 1
Reply #1440 on: March 15, 2018, 11:24:59 PM
 ??? I stopped getting notifications about this thread, so I just saw the recent posts. Congrats to Barry and to all of us who participated (and to gustophersmob in advance)! :salute: (I chose the Jack of spades, so close, yet so far...  :oops:)

This was my first challenge, so it was a very nice experience.  :)

EDIT: Oh, new page!!! :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 11:26:04 PM by Exeter »

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #1441 on: March 16, 2018, 08:00:33 AM
Day 29:

I just bought a used Mazda 5. With 2 more kids on the way, for a total of 4, my mazda 3 just can't cut it. It couldn't even fit a rear facing car seat in it.

My wife already has a Toyota Sienna, so I got something small that can still fit 6.

:like:

29 down, 1 to go!
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #1442 on: March 16, 2018, 12:20:47 PM
Day 30:

Sentinel clipped and ready to finish the challenge in style!

Finally done!  Some final thoughts when I'm at a computer to type more easily.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #1443 on: March 16, 2018, 03:08:49 PM
So, final thoughts on the 111mm challenge.

I chose the one hand sentinel clip for the challenge, as my only other 111mm knives are OHTs, which are too big for me to pocket carry.  I also wanted to get some time with the sentinel to see what it could do.

The knife:
Initially, when I purchased the sentinel a year ago, it felt pretty cheap.  The hollow nylon scales and the clip seem like weak points, and they did not inspire confidence.  Which is odd, because I never thought the scales on the OHT seemed overly cheap.  I think it may have to do with the fact that the locking liner is up against a scale on the sentinel, and when the knife blade is open, it leaves the scale unsupported where the lock moves over.  This lends to more flex in the scale when gripped. After using it for a month, though, I have adjusted to the point where I just don't think about it.  It has also not led to any performance issues in use.  It may not feel like a spyderco, but I don't think it really matters. 

Some likes: I like the people friendliness of the knife.  I know some people will not like any knife, but as far as one hand opening locking blades go, this has got to be one of the most low key ones.  I also was surprised by the clip.  For one, its very smooth so it doesn't catch on things and doesn't tear up pockets, but has enough grip not to fall out all the time.  Just a good all round knife.

The Challenge:
Honestly, the most difficult part of all this wasn't using the knife or carrying it, but remembering to post pictures.  I had to set an alarm on my phone to remember.  :facepalm:

That was fun and now we're done.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #1444 on: March 16, 2018, 03:18:00 PM

I chose the one hand sentinel clip for the challenge, as my only other 111mm knives are OHTs, which are too big for me to pocket carry.  I also wanted to get some time with the sentinel to see what it could do.

The knife:
Initially, when I purchased the sentinel a year ago, it felt pretty cheap.  The hollow nylon scales and the clip seem like weak points, and they did not inspire confidence.  Which is odd, because I never thought the scales on the OHT seemed overly cheap.  I think it may have to do with the fact that the locking liner is up against a scale on the sentinel, and when the knife blade is open, it leaves the scale unsupported where the lock moves over.  This lends to more flex in the scale when gripped. After using it for a month, though, I have adjusted to the point where I just don't think about it.  It has also not led to any performance issues in use.  It may not feel like a spyderco, but I don't think it really matters. 

Some likes: I like the people friendliness of the knife.  I know some people will not like any knife, but as far as one hand opening locking blades go, this has got to be one of the most low key ones.  I also was surprised by the clip.  For one, its very smooth so it doesn't catch on things and doesn't tear up pockets, but has enough grip not to fall out all the time.  Just a good all round knife.

The Challenge:
Honestly, the most difficult part of all this wasn't using the knife or carrying it, but remembering to post pictures.  I had to set an alarm on my phone to remember.  :facepalm:

Nice read and congrats on finishing!
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1445 on: March 16, 2018, 03:32:12 PM
 :clap:

Congratulations on a strong finish! 

You made some great points in your wrap-up.  :tu:  I've gotten used to the cheaper-feeling handles now, too. They seem 'functional' to me. And that is pretty darned good.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1446 on: March 16, 2018, 08:43:37 PM
Congrats and fun to follow you and everyone on this challenge!!  Nix, the Mauser made it today...thanks a million buddy!!
DSCN4118.JPG
* DSCN4118.JPG (Filesize: 279.93 KB)
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1447 on: March 16, 2018, 09:17:44 PM

Cool shot, Barry!

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #1448 on: March 16, 2018, 10:37:19 PM
Congrats and fun to follow you and everyone on this challenge!!  Nix, the Mauser made it today...thanks a million buddy!!

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #1449 on: March 16, 2018, 10:38:32 PM

The knife:

The Challenge:

Congrats  :cheers:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1450 on: March 16, 2018, 11:44:32 PM
Day 30:

Badged.   :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1451 on: March 16, 2018, 11:47:25 PM
 :tu: Nice job!   

Thanks Nix!!
Barry

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #1452 on: March 17, 2018, 12:53:13 AM
Thanks all! And thanks powernoodle for kicking this off  :cheers:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #1453 on: March 17, 2018, 12:54:04 AM
Day 30:

Badged.   :tu:

:woohoo:

The much coveted challenge badge! Thank you sir!  :cheers:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #1455 on: March 18, 2018, 03:59:31 AM
Good strong finish. Congrats on the badge.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%