Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I WAS, not very happy with Vic'

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
I WAS, not very happy with Vic'
on: January 31, 2018, 03:40:52 AM
As I'm sure most here are aware I am a HUGE fan of the Swisstool and Large fan of the Spirit and overall a big fan of Victorinox period.  So now I'm a little confused.
A couple of weeks ago I sent a Swisstool X in to Vic for repair due to a broken pair of scissors, and a well Pablo'ed Spirit that had loose pliar handles, broken file and a couple of other issues.  I did not expext Vic to repair everything for free but I did expect a reasonable cost response.  Here is the response I got back for them on both tools.  Mind you the resopnse was IDENTICAL for each tool.
"Dear Valued Consumer,
Thank you for sending your Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool for repair. Regrettably, this is a vintage model that is either discontinued or that we no longer have parts in stock to repair.
Given that we are unable to secure parts needed for your repair, we would like to extend you a 30% discount off the purchase of another Multi-Tool from our collection (with the exception of Limited Edition models). You may view the collection on our website www.swissarmy.com. If you do not have access to the internet, please call Customer Support at 800-442-2706 as we may be able to suggest a similar style to the Multi-Tool you sent in for repair.
To use this discount we ask that you contact our Customer Service Department at 800-442-2706 and reference your repair/order number. This exclusive offer expires within 30 days of receipt, therefore we encourage you to make your selection and call us as soon as possible. Payment in the form of a major credit card will be required when the order is placed. Please note this discount is only good on a Multi-Tool purchased directly from Victorinox Swiss Army and excludes purchases from any of our Victorinox Swiss Army Full Price or Outlet Retail Store Locations. All selections are final with no returns accepted.
Your original Multi-Tool will be shipped back to you once you respond to this offer. Please allow 5 - 7 business days to receive. You will not be charged shipping on this item, any credit card authorizations provided will be cancelled.
Please let us know if you require further assistance and thank you again for your patronage.
Sincerely,
Victorinox Swiss Army Consumer Support"

My BIGGEST problem with this is that BOTH the Swisstool and Spirit ARE NOT VINTAGE and ARE STILL IN PRODUCTION. My second biggest issue is if I just wanted to replace them I could order New ones from a Vic authorized retailer at about 25% off the Direct Vic pricing.  So to me Vic is saying their warranty is only good for 5% off what I paid in the first place. 

Now my question is...Am I taking this wrong? 
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: I WAS, not very happy with Vic'
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 03:44:54 AM
 :think:

I would expect better customer service and product support than that.

I confess, you've thrown me for a loop here.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 04:05:40 AM
Sent it to Vic reps in the US? They might be discontinued in the US... plus I’ve heard of a few unsatiesfied customers about them...

Tried the Vic HQ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 04:14:01 AM
Call them and tear them a new smurf-hole. That is straight up BS.

Also, sorry you're having problems. My only experience was sending in a SAK, and it went fine.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 04:51:02 AM
+1 With Lynn

That just is not right. :viking:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 05:10:42 AM
Nice to know the 98' SwissTool or the older Spirit I have will not be covered under warranty from Vic. Thankfully I didn't break the ST during its' challenge. Hopefully I won't break the Spirit.  :facepalm:

Going to have to be careful using them from now on I guess.

Thanks for letting us know about this, Douglas!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 05:55:38 AM
They obviously need a lesson from Leatherman in how to warranty their Multitools   :twak:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 05:59:44 AM
Hopefully I won't break the Spirit.  :facepalm:
NO ONE can break your spirit, Ger! You GO!

Wait... what are we talking about?  :D

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 06:15:29 AM
Hopefully I won't break the Spirit.  :facepalm:
NO ONE can break your spirit, Ger! You GO!

Wait... what are we talking about?  :D
:rofl:

I am going to go line the spirit sheath with bubble wrap.... :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 06:31:49 AM
Damn Dougie, that's total BS. Tell them to shove their crappy offer and return your property. Then send them to Switzerland.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 06:37:18 AM
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 06:43:42 AM
That's not a warranty, that's an excuse not to bother providing one.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 07:03:13 AM
Can't believe what I'm reading...

Vic HQ is the way to go here.
I've sent numerous tools there without any problems. All came back for less then €5.
They did inform me that a Swisstool maintenance/repair might be slightly more expensive. (Up to €15)

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 07:19:38 AM
That's not a warranty, that's an excuse not to bother providing one.

No but it smurfs all over the response he was given, Unable to repair? BS
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 07:57:26 AM
They obviously need a lesson from Leatherman in how to warranty their Multitools   :twak:

I'm sorry to say Steve, but it looks like they did just that ...  ::)

Over here the warranty service of Leatherman tools solely depends on the good will of the distributor of your country.  While we hear those great warranty stories from the other side of the pond, over here Leatherman warranty is more of a hit and miss thing, with lots of different answers or suggested solutions depending on which country you live in.

I'm pretty sure that Victorinox Switzerland will give a totally different reply, if not, I would be very disappointed to say the least ...  ::)

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 08:13:00 AM
Still not clear as to where it was sent, some stateside authorized repair facility or to Switzerland?

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 08:18:21 AM
"Dear Valued Consumer" is always a clue that you're about to be shafted!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 08:35:15 AM
"Dear Valued Consumer" is always a clue that you're about to be shafted!

Lol. Dear meaningless cog...

at Offline Peter1960

Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 09:56:29 AM

Over here the warranty service of Leatherman tools solely depends on the good will of the distributor of your country.  While we hear those great warranty stories from the other side of the pond, over here Leatherman warranty is more of a hit and miss thing, with lots of different answers or suggested solutions depending on which country you live in.

I'm pretty sure that Victorinox Switzerland will give a totally different reply, if not, I would be very disappointed to say the least ...  ::)
Well said that is true!

In some cases the side you live on our earth is important. Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 10:45:18 AM

Well said that is true!

In some cases the side you live on our earth is important. Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose.
The way that I’m understanding the situation is that Vic USA are being a bunch of smurfs, and that the tools should be sent to Vic HQ In Switzerland for better service.  :think:

Sounds a lot like those stories of people in other countries trying to send their LM tools to the local distributor for warranty and being smurfed by them. :facepalm:

I hope that it turns out right in the end Douglas.  :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 10:58:21 AM
Unfortunate for us if Swiss Army dot com's standard response is 'buy a new one'. Not the definition of customer care if you ask me. I hope this isn't a trend.

fi Offline Gath

Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 12:26:44 PM
I'd contact the parent company as well, local subsidiaries of just about any company have a tendency to play loose with established rules of the parent company as well as law.

One particularly egregious example from my dad, who works industrial solutions, comes to mind. Their US subsidiary had altered the design of one of their products in such a way that while in the original design, and thus the manual a certain part could be opened without any precautions, their version had an unsecured spring that could cause serious injury or death to anyone working on it according to the original manual, as it would jump out on your face.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 01:23:36 PM by Gath »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 12:34:19 PM
I'm shocked.  I've had extraordinary service from them in the recent past.  Kind of neuters that lifetime warranty :facepalm:
Barry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 12:45:10 PM
Usually Victorinox Customer Service is top notch.  I'm really surprised to hear this.

I really wish these companies would offer a small repair fee though.  I hate to send stuff in to be covered by the "free" warranty when it's something I have broken myself.  I also feel like I'd have more grounds to be critical if it was a service I'd paid for....

Although on the flip side, nothing in life is free, and we have all paid for warranty service by buying the product in the first place.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 01:32:42 PM
I really wish these companies would offer a small repair fee though.  I hate to send stuff in to be covered by the "free" warranty when it's something I have broken myself.
:like:

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 02:25:52 PM
That's actually a discussion I have had with various manufacturers a few times, and for the most part they say that instituting a fee like that would cost more to implement and track than they'd make on it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 02:31:06 PM
That's actually a discussion I have had with various manufacturers a few times, and for the most part they say that instituting a fee like that would cost more to implement and track than they'd make on it.

Def
That seems a little bit on the odd side...

All hail the hook!

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 02:59:49 PM
Thanks everyone for all the support.  I need to make certain a couple of things are clear that may not have been last night so here goes.
I want to first say I was not looking to get any freebies.  What bothered me was more the nature of the form letter.  Neither the Swisstool or Spirit are vintage and both are still in production.  I would have been happy if Vic' had said the cost of repair would be more than the tools were worth and GIVEN ME the choice to pay for repair or replacement.  I would have been okay.  I just feel the nature of the letter is very near (if not) a lie and would be taking advantage of consumers that may not be as up to date on the products Vic produces.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 31, 2018, 03:02:54 PM
It sounds like Vic USA is not offering a proper response to your problem. I would contact the company and let them know what Vic USA told you.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 04:03:34 PM
I've had one dealing with Vic USA and while the communication was not good they warrantied the item to my total satisfaction.  If this is one off situation I do hope you are able to get some kind of resolve.  If this is an indication of Vic USA playing fast and loose with warranty then  :twak:.
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD