Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I WAS, not very happy with Vic'

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: I WAS, not very happy with Vic'
Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 06:37:24 PM
I am sorry you got this problem
I had a similar negative experience last year with the Vic Distributor/Dealer in my city after trying to send a Spirit for repair (chipped blade, broken flathead, dented chisel and loose pivot in pliers head) that I wrote about in this forum on some thread.

Firstly, they told me they needed me to ship the Spirit to the dealer (min $6 to do so) and I couldn't bring it to their buildings in person (I live 2 miles away from them". Leatherman was kind enough to let me bring the tools myself to their offices to avoid paying shipping and wasting time.

Second bad thing, they told me they didn't guarantee that the tool could be repaired, restored or exchanged even after sending the tool to them, because it was VIctorinox's final word on it that would determine that.  ???

Thirdly, they told me that the waiting time between the moment they got the tool (dealers) and Victorinox got it from them and gave an answer was about 2 months, add then the time to repair (at a price) the tool, send it back to the dealer and then the dealer back to me

Finally they said that the handling fees for them would cost me a min of $18, to which I should add shipping the tool to the dealers ($6) and then the cost for them to send it repaired to me (another $6 again),
all of that if Vic's HQ deemed appropriate to repair my tool  :rant:

that is for a current production model of the Spirit

I said goodbye have a nice day
 :megaslap:

No use in having an excellent company, warranty and service if the distributor is a horrendous, money-sucking unscrupulous bunch of incompetents
hope you get it sorted out  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: January 31, 2018, 06:57:36 PM
Second bad thing, they told me they didn't guarantee that the tool could be repaired, restored or exchanged even after sending the tool to them, because it was VIctorinox's final word on it that would determine that.  ???

Thirdly, they told me that the waiting time between the moment they got the tool (dealers) and Victorinox got it from them and gave an answer was about 2 months, add then the time to repair (at a price) the tool, send it back to the dealer and then the dealer back to me

Finally they said that the handling fees for them would cost me a min of $18, to which I should add shipping the tool to the dealers ($6) and then the cost for them to send it repaired to me (another $6 again),
all of that if Vic's HQ deemed appropriate to repair my tool  :rant:

This was on par from what I was told by the UK dealer incidentally. I did the work myself...
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #32 on: January 31, 2018, 07:27:49 PM
Finally an area where LM is Victorinox’s equal... they both have equally smurfy distributors!  :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 31, 2018, 09:23:11 PM
Finally an area where LM is Victorinox’s equal... they both have equally smurfy distributors!  :rofl:

:imws:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 31, 2018, 09:40:13 PM
I generally view warranties as marketing. Actually trying to use a warranty if you need it, by design always has so many hurdles and implicit costs that it is cheaper to buy something new. I'm a huge Vic fan, but I would never bother having anything repaired. (I know some people have positive experiences with warranty and repair programs, but my impression is that they are the exception.)

Want to know why people buy single use smurf knives? That's why. We have reached the point where buying cr*p repeatedly actually has become cheaper than maintaining the good stuff over time.

(I'm a little grumpy now, that's correct.)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: January 31, 2018, 10:40:18 PM
I bought a completely destroyed DAK last summer from a military surplus store.
Broken blade, broken awl and Pabloed can opener.

I handed it in at a local dealer and asked to maintain the scales.

He gave it to the importer's salesman, which brought it to their HQ.
From there to Vic Germany,
From there to Vic HQ.
Repaired,
That exact same route in reverse.

Everything combined took 3 months (they did it in 2 the time before that)

It came back EXACTLY as I hoped for.
Brand new apart from the slightly battered scales.
And the price was a whopping €4 for shipping costs... which is like  $5? Less?

Couldn't be more pleased.
So it can be done! But it does look like we've got an awesome importer!
(Which is "Homeij" I think)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: January 31, 2018, 10:43:07 PM

From there to Vic HQ.
Repaired,

Victorinox, not Amefa, I presume?  :D
(The DAK)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: January 31, 2018, 10:56:32 PM

From there to Vic HQ.
Repaired,

(The DAK)

:facepalm:
I'm a Vic guy... no way I'll buy an Amefa.

Only off brand SAKalike I bought is an old Belgian Army Knife made by "Colasse"... since I'm Belgian...

No! NOT german! :twak:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #38 on: January 31, 2018, 11:01:51 PM

From there to Vic HQ.
Repaired,

(The DAK)

:facepalm:
I'm a Vic guy... no way I'll buy an Amefa.

Only off brand SAKalike I bought is an old Belgian Army Knife made by "Colasse"... since I'm Belgian...

No! NOT german! :twak:

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

:rofl: :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 31, 2018, 11:35:23 PM
Sad to see this, and the fact it looks like a form letter could mean a new approach to warranty claims, and bad press for Victorinox. I think I would pursue it at the next level, if only to let them know.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: February 01, 2018, 03:01:22 AM
Well I have an update of sorts for everyone.  i have gotten in touch with a Vic USA Rep and here are a couple of excerts from our comunications.

"...I just want to see how we can resolve this with you and get better, what has occurred, is not acceptable  to me...." and "...like to follow up with two internal departments, I’ll do my best to try and make sense of what transpired and offer a resolution and correction to the correspondence you received. Thanks for helping me understand this better, being of service to our customers gives our work true meaning..."

I think sometimes that the problem is everything is just a number (numbers are great for tracking) and the fact that a real person is on the other end gets forgotten.
I am hopefull all will turn out well.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #41 on: February 01, 2018, 03:36:29 AM
Well I have an update of sorts for everyone.  i have gotten in touch with a Vic USA Rep and here are a couple of excerts from our comunications.

"...I just want to see how we can resolve this with you and get better, what has occurred, is not acceptable  to me...." and "...like to follow up with two internal departments, I’ll do my best to try and make sense of what transpired and offer a resolution and correction to the correspondence you received. Thanks for helping me understand this better, being of service to our customers gives our work true meaning..."

I think sometimes that the problem is everything is just a number (numbers are great for tracking) and the fact that a real person is on the other end gets forgotten.
I am hopefull all will turn out well.

yeah let them know that big brother and Pablo are watching......... :pok: :pok:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 03:45:29 AM by Butch »
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #42 on: February 01, 2018, 03:58:57 AM
 :sa:

I'm glad you found a human being, not a bean counting roach, on your second attempt. But I'm still gob smacked. This isn't the Victorinox I've known ALL of my life. I think someone took it upon themselves to play the Smurf You game with customers. The only thing I hate more than people who scream and swear and threaten to have some one fired over the phone is this kind of crap.

I was about to order a Walker from them, but until you've got an answer I like I think I"m going to hold off.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: February 01, 2018, 06:58:09 AM
I do hope this is an indication you will be taken care of and this matter will be a learning moment for whomever sent that scripted message initially.  I have always read how wonderful LM and Vic warranties were.  I have experienced terrific warranty from both.  I've also read how our brothers across the pond have a difficult time with LM warranty.  In some cased down right refusal to help.  It always bums me out especially knowing how well we are treated here by LM.  Not to mention the increase they pay over what we do for their tools.  I've not experienced what you have from either company.  Anyone who is not treated to what some of us have known to be outstanding warranty from both companies is unacceptable. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: February 01, 2018, 11:34:28 AM
This is a great turnaround, keep us updated

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #45 on: February 01, 2018, 02:21:35 PM
I do hope this is an indication you will be taken care of and this matter will be a learning moment for whomever sent that scripted message initially.  I have always read how wonderful LM and Vic warranties were.  I have experienced terrific warranty from both.  I've also read how our brothers across the pond have a difficult time with LM warranty.  In some cased down right refusal to help.  It always bums me out especially knowing how well we are treated here by LM.  Not to mention the increase they pay over what we do for their tools.  I've not experienced what you have from either company.  Anyone who is not treated to what some of us have known to be outstanding warranty from both companies is unacceptable.

ironically, living in Spain I've been very happy with all my LM Warranty experiences and adventures but really disappointed with Victorinox's customer service, and warranty policies (mainly through their respective distributors, may I add)  :think:

one would think it should be the opposite   :shrug:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: February 01, 2018, 03:42:43 PM

Glad to hear the Vic USA Rep is getting involved. Hopefully he will resolve it appropriately. :like: :tu: :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #47 on: February 02, 2018, 12:41:47 PM
:sa:

I'm glad you found a human being, not a bean counting roach, on your second attempt. But I'm still gob smacked. This isn't the Victorinox I've known ALL of my life. I think someone took it upon themselves to play the Smurf You game with customers. The only thing I hate more than people who scream and swear and threaten to have some one fired over the phone is this kind of crap.

I was about to order a Walker from them, but until you've got an answer I like I think I"m going to hold off.

If you need or want to purchase a Victorinox model, please feel free to remember that The Multitool.org Store is an authorized Victorinox dealer.   :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: February 02, 2018, 01:04:13 PM
Why I stick with leatherman,less hassle and new tool back in 4-7 days  :salute: only cost is me sending the tool to Whitby  :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: February 02, 2018, 01:06:22 PM
Why I stick with leatherman,less hassle and new tool back in 4-7 days  :salute: only cost is me sending the tool to Whitby  :tu:
Exactly the reason why I stick with Vic :D
Only difference is the waiting time.
But like mentioned before, it all depends on the importer of the specific brand in your country.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: February 02, 2018, 01:17:56 PM
But like mentioned before, it all depends on the importer of the specific brand in your country.

:imws:

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: February 02, 2018, 01:23:57 PM

it's typical of all these chats,whatever works for you  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: February 02, 2018, 05:00:10 PM
Such different experiences from us all, not surprising.  Looks like its typically the middle man that smurfs it up?  I'll consider myself grateful to have had good experiences with both.

Esse Quam Videri

Offline stugumby

Reply #53 on: February 02, 2018, 05:30:48 PM
Just curious, what year of plier head was your swisstool? I can see them replacing instead of repairing, example a 98 pattern tool. Vs a 2010 or later tool will have different parts etc. But to not offer replacement is truly bad service indeed. I think Leatherman will experience lots of old waves being sent in just to get the new wave pluses.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: February 17, 2018, 03:10:05 AM
Just curious, what year of plier head was your swisstool? I can see them replacing instead of repairing, example a 98 pattern tool. Vs a 2010 or later tool will have different parts etc. But to not offer replacement is truly bad service indeed. I think Leatherman will experience lots of old waves being sent in just to get the new wave pluses.

Sorry it took so long to respond on this.
The Swisstool X was a'98 style head and I understand the design has changed, but the Spirit design is current.  All I realy wanted was an honest cost to repair or even your tool would cost more to repair than it is worth, what would you like us to do?
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: February 17, 2018, 03:33:02 AM
Now and update,
I have been in regular contact with the previously mentioned Vic Rep.  This all actually started while he was out with the flu and he still was sending me emails and keeping me up to date despite me suggesting he get some rest.  Below is the latest email sent just yesterday.

"Dear Doug,

You have been of great help to us, identifying  the short comings in communication is key for us to engage better with our customers !
As for replacements to you …I know well your intent and do know this was not your goal, but with the help you have given me it’s totally within my discretion to support you this way and besides that it’s my pleasure.  I will get some things off to you this week, "

I am amazed at what I just recieved Next Day Air FedEx.
Needless to say I'm in Swisstool heavan. 
On top of all these shiny new Swisstools he is having the old ones sent back at no charge.  Maybe I'll try to mod them.

So now  I want to ask the Mods to change the title of this thread to

20180216_191817[9532].jpg
* 20180216_191817[9532].jpg (Filesize: 317.67 KB)
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #56 on: February 17, 2018, 03:38:45 AM
Now and update,
I have been in regular contact with the previously mentioned Vic Rep.  This all actually started while he was out with the flu and he still was sending me emails and keeping me up to date despite me suggesting he get some rest.  Below is the latest email sent just yesterday.

"Dear Doug,

You have been of great help to us, identifying  the short comings in communication is key for us to engage better with our customers !
As for replacements to you …I know well your intent and do know this was not your goal, but with the help you have given me it’s totally within my discretion to support you this way and besides that it’s my pleasure.  I will get some things off to you this week, "

On top of all these shiny new Swisstools he is having the old ones sent back at no charge.  Maybe I'll try to mod them.

DIBBSI

:pok: :pok: :pok: :rofl: :gimme:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: February 17, 2018, 03:47:04 AM
Now and update,

"Dear Doug,

DIBBSI

Trade ya one SS Swisstool Spirit for two Champs of my choice.  :whistle:
 :rofl: :rant: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #58 on: February 17, 2018, 03:49:57 AM
Now and update,

"Dear Doug,

DIBBSI

Trade ya one SS Swisstool Spirit for two Champs of my choice.  :whistle:
 :rofl: :rant: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Swiss tools for 1 champ..........I pick..
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: February 17, 2018, 03:56:24 AM
Guess we will both just have to keep what we have.  :facepalm:
Dr.  McCoy

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24