Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC a different SAK every day - 30 Day Challenge - Alox 84mm/85mm

Syem · 98 · 4090

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Tomorrow we're reaching day 29 of the "EDC a different SAK every day for 30 days?" thread and it really motivated me to keep going further. As I said when I joined this challenge, I've been thinking for a while about carrying a different SAK every day for a whole year (or rather, 365 days and a quarter).
I'm really very grateful to Grathr because I know I would probably never have tried it in my lifetime if it weren't for his initiative.

So, I'm going to keep going with one thread per month as long as I have enough knives and imagination to come up with relatively interesting themes. Not sure how to format the final months but I'll see when I get there... I'm trying to find themes that won't have too many duplicate knives and that wont use up too many good knives out of future themes. I'm sorry if that makes it too restrictive for some... I don't mind being alone but I sure hope at least one crazy soul will join me each month.

Since I'll be joining the 111mm challenge next month but don't have enough of those to carry different ones every day, I'll pick one and carry it with along with 30 different small Alox (84mm for Victorinox and 85mm for Wenger) throughout the month.

Some ground rules for the challenges:
 - Carrying/using multiple SAKs simultaneously is ok but we're counting the days and not the knives.
 - Need to carry at least one "not carried in this challenge yet" knife every day. (if you're not doing the whole year with me, feel free to reset your list after each month)
 - Since this will go on for at least a whole year, breaks are allowed but only due to carry restrictions while travelling or because of hospitalization. Just pick up where you left off once you're back.
 - Exact duplicates are allowed but not twice in a row. (do not count as exact duplicates: variations in generations/tool evolution, scale & crest - type & shape & color, wear/damage, inlays/engravings and the likes. Basically, as long as we can tell them apart, it's ok to post them twice in a row). Posting a pic of the duplicates together before carrying them is strongly suggested.

I'll be starting on Saturday 3rd of February 2018 and will keep counting the days towards 365 (31 to 60 this month). Feel free to start whenever you want (even in 3 years when someone digs this thread up) and to count from where you want or need.

I'm not requesting for badges to be created but I will gladly accepted if mods decide to create and award them :D

Who's in for this month?  :pok:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: EDC a different SAK every day - 30 Day Challenge - Alox 84mm/85mm
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:04:45 AM
Fun idea, Syem.

I don't think I could make it for a full week. A month? Wow!  :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 04:26:46 AM
I'm with Nix, but I'm looking forward to seeing some awesome Alox's!
Barry

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 01:01:06 PM
I don't have the means or will to follow you, but this is an endeavour worth following and learning from.
Good luck Syem!   :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 02:14:12 PM
I just realized that this thread could make me eligible for a "Minimal SAK challenge" as they're all 1 or 2 layers

Day 31:

Wenger Patriot in beautiful green.
Along with its 111mm friend Hercules, that's 3 blade sizes and many great tools for a month that promises to be amazing!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 04:00:05 AM
I'm still catching up on all these challenge threads...

...and sadly have to inform you that you can only pick up one challenge badge a month.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 09:02:27 AM
Not participating, as I barely had enough SAKs for the last challenge.

But a very hairy goal! :salute:

:popcorn:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 12:06:32 PM
...and sadly have to inform you that you can only pick up one challenge badge a month.

I have seen rules in certain challenges that exclude the use/carry of another MT, however the 111mm didn't seem to do so when I read its premise. If you confirm that these two challenges are by definition mutually exclusive I'll of course drop out of the 111mm.

But I have to bring up the question of mutually compatible badges. The soon-to-be-created badge for the "carry a different SAK for 30 days challenge" could be completed with just 1 of 2 layer knives, making one also eligible for the "Minimal SAK Challenge". Just like a hypothetical "30 days carrying Alox challenge" (or anything more specific to this thread, for example "30 days carrying different Alox 84/85mm challenge") could be compatible with the "Minimal SAK Challenge".Would one have to decide which of the two he/she wants?

By extension, can I expect a " 365 days carrying different SAKs " badge to be created and awarded if 30 days challenges have been completed during that year?

I'm probably just overthinking it. Dropping out of the 111mm will make my life a bit easier after all :surrender:

I'll just keep going with my own thing and see where it leads... I'm not doing it for the badges; I want to force myself to use these knives in my collection that have never seen the light of day since I acquired them.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 12:33:42 PM

I have seen rules in certain challenges that exclude the use/carry of another MT, however the 111mm didn't seem to do so when I read its premise. If you confirm that these two challenges are by definition mutually exclusive I'll of course drop out of the 111mm.

But I have to bring up the question of mutually compatible badges. The soon-to-be-created badge for the "carry a different SAK for 30 days challenge" could be completed with just 1 of 2 layer knives, making one also eligible for the "Minimal SAK Challenge". Just like a hypothetical "30 days carrying Alox challenge" (or anything more specific to this thread, for example "30 days carrying different Alox 84/85mm challenge") could be compatible with the "Minimal SAK Challenge".Would one have to decide which of the two he/she wants?

By extension, can I expect a " 365 days carrying different SAKs " badge to be created and awarded if 30 days challenges have been completed during that year?

I'm probably just overthinking it. Dropping out of the 111mm will make my life a bit easier after all :surrender:

I'll just keep going with my own thing and see where it leads... I'm not doing it for the badges; I want to force myself to use these knives in my collection that have never seen the light of day since I acquired them.

You can participate in multiple 30 day challenges at once if their rules allow but you must chose which 30 day challenge you want to receive a badge for.

You can be awarded 30 day challenge badges during your journey to a 365 day challenge badge.

For what it's worth, I think you should continue both challenges, your pics and comments are excellent and enjoyed by many.

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 08:12:44 PM

You can participate in multiple 30 day challenges at once if their rules allow but you must chose which 30 day challenge you want to receive a badge for.

You can be awarded 30 day challenge badges during your journey to a 365 day challenge badge.

For what it's worth, I think you should continue both challenges, your pics and comments are excellent and enjoyed by many.

Alright then. I'll keep going with the 111mm challenge and grab that badge unless you guys want to make a 84/85mm challenge badge... Then I'd have to think about it :D

About the Minimal SAK badge, I can get that next month with 30 different 58mm or whatever...

For now...

Day 32:

Victorinox Secretary with Silver Alox scales and "Fontargen" brand logo (German manufacturer of welding supplies, if I understood correctly)

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 09:27:32 PM
:popcorn:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 03:51:32 PM
Day 33:

Wenger Patriot in bright orange with a Stuag brand logo on the back (Strassenbau- und Tiefbau-Unternehmung AG - Road construction and civil engineering company, now part of Implenia)

On the way to the mountain with big bro Hercules then sitting on my "moving office for the afternoon" and finally having a grapefruit on the hotel balcony :D

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 09:07:54 PM
 :like: :like:
Barry

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 12:54:04 PM
Day 34: Victorinox Excelsior

Early morning pics..

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 03:51:46 PM
 :like: :tu:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 06:01:24 PM
Day 35:

Wenger Patriot in red with a strange company logo at the back... I heard they used to make pocket knives for a while but I'm not sure. :D

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 01:17:24 PM
Day 36: Victorinox Secretary in red, no ad

Morning handstands... Or are they bladestands?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 01:37:38 PM
Day 36: Victorinox Secretary in red, no ad

Morning handstands... Or are they bladestands? (Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

that first pic is absolutely gorgeous.  :drool:

Ought to be in the calendar thread!!!  :salute:  :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 01:59:44 PM

that first pic is absolutely gorgeous.  :drool:

Ought to be in the calendar thread!!!  :salute:  :like:

Thanks! And thanks everyone for taking turns in supporting me :D

I'll upload the pic to a proper hosting service instead of using Tapatalk's low-fi services then post it in the calendar thread of you believe it has a chance... They're all just smartphone pics so...

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 02:04:10 PM
A lot better than mine turn out my friend!  You have a beautiful background and gorgeous subjects to photograph  :like: :like:
Barry

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 02:14:54 PM
Day 37:

Victorinox Popular

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 03:05:33 PM
you live in a beautiful spot, Syem   :tu:
My toys:

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 04:59:32 PM
you live in a beautiful spot, Syem   :tu:
I live in a boring city... I was just here for work this week... I should be back here in a couple of weeks but there probably won't be as much snow as now...

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 03:36:54 AM

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 02:28:42 PM
+1  :like:  I found the Popular to be an excellent backup knife, hardly notice its in your pocket
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 06:46:39 PM
+1  :like:  I found the Popular to be an excellent backup knife, hardly notice its in your pocket
I'm loving this challenge. Hercules sits in my suit pocket on the back of my chair most of the time and these 1 layer 2-bladed beauties sit unnoticeable in my pants pocket.

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 06:49:07 PM
Day 38:

Victorinox Secretary
The red is a bit flaky on the back scale but it's still in very good shape.

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 08:26:53 PM
Day 39:

Victorinox Secretary in black with Frey clothing branding.

The background is what I assume to be an anti-aircraft gun with its barrel/cannon in a knot. This sits in front of the UN in Geneva.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%