Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MT.o SOG Q3 Pass-Around

kaput · 25 · 1392

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
MT.o SOG Q3 Pass-Around
on: February 02, 2018, 05:50:11 AM
Id like to extend my SOG q3 to interested parties wanting to try out a new and unique multitool. It's very different from every other brand, Gerber-Leatherman-Victorinox, and that's why I got it. For that reason I know some people may not give it a fair shake, for those of you that are curious pm or post here and maybe we can work out the details ;)

I have been using it quite a bit, and it's a fun one. Anyone wanting to give it a carry, review, test or just some good ol company let me know!  :cheers: I'll send it to you  :mail:
IMG_3676.JPG
* IMG_3676.JPG (Filesize: 423.63 KB)
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: MT.o SOG Q3 Pass-Around
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 06:03:49 AM
Very generous of you, Kaput!

I am ordering one of these this weekend for myself,  but am sure there are many members here who need to check out the SOG Baton without having to buy one! :cheers:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 06:58:47 AM

I am ordering one of these this weekend for myself,  but am sure there are many members here who need to check out the SOG Baton without having to buy one! :cheers:
Nice. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it down the road  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 02:19:20 PM

Nice. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it down the road  :salute:

Will do, kaput! I will also be doing a run carry-test of the sync II as soon as the spirit challenge is over. SOG sure has some neat stuff. Hopefully it will prove useful! :cheers:

I am surprised nobody has jumped on trying your Q3 out yet in this thread! :shrug:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:29:08 PM
very nice of you Kaput   :hatsoff:

if I lived in the US I'd probably be first on this pass-around, hopefully somebody will come soon and get it going  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 04:18:18 PM
I'd be interested in getting in on this kaput! It would be neat to compare it to my Q1 too, not to mention my new & old SOG tools.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 06:44:42 PM
I'd be interested in getting in on this kaput! It would be neat to compare it to my Q1 too, not to mention my new & old SOG tools.
Sure thing. I'll send a pm!  :tu:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 10:16:38 PM
I'm interested!
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 03:52:22 AM
I'm interested!
Sure thing. I'll send it along to sLaughtermed and then he can send it to you after he gets to check it out and use it. Sounds good!  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 04:59:32 AM
Looking forward to reading some more from people about the Q3!
Mine should be here in a few days.  :)
 :popcorn:

I am currently waiting to try out the Sync II that came last week(when the spirit challenge is over) and the Q3. :)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 05:53:46 AM
Got the Q3 in the mail today, holy cow is it a beefy hunk of metal! Initial impression was positive overall. It feels nice in the hand, if a bit weighty. The pocket clip is simple but effective, and I like that the pliers are sprung. The tools are stubby, but that's only really a problem with the knife, which is a bit akward to use with such a long handle. The file looks useless, as is typical of SOG. The locks appear secure and firm, and lastly the tools come out without too much hassle (although the nail nick's being so close together makes them a but fussy)

Hopefully I'll have a more complete review in a few days after I carry this around!

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 01:03:56 AM
Just an update, so far the Q3 has done reasonably well. It has a certain cool factor, and is reasonably easy to carry. I haven't had the chance to really put it through its paces yet, but initial impressions are positive

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 02:25:03 AM
Thank you for the update, sLaughter! Looking forward to a full report. :D
I have used mine a few time and like the idea, but the execution creates a massive handle for the little tools. But, I knew that going in. The upside to that is a nice tool that fits well in my thigh side pocket on my carpenter jeans. The pocket was made for a hammer handle.   :)
The pliers are surprisingly stout. Much tougher than I expected.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 02:57:03 AM
Got the Q3 in the mail today, holy cow is it a beefy hunk of metal! Initial impression was positive overall. It feels nice in the hand, if a bit weighty. The pocket clip is simple but effective, and I like that the pliers are sprung. The tools are stubby, but that's only really a problem with the knife, which is a bit akward to use with such a long handle. The file looks useless, as is typical of SOG. The locks appear secure and firm, and lastly the tools come out without too much hassle (although the nail nick's being so close together makes them a but fussy)

Hopefully I'll have a more complete review in a few days after I carry this around!
I also agree with this entirely. It's cool and fun. Kinda novel. And feels kinda weird saying it, but well built and kinda cheap at the same time lol

I like it  :think: :D :think: :rofl:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 02:58:56 AM
Thank you for the update, sLaughter! Looking forward to a full report. :D
I have used mine a few time and like the idea, but the execution creates a massive handle for the little tools. But, I knew that going in. The upside to that is a nice tool that fits well in my thigh side pocket on my carpenter jeans. The pocket was made for a hammer handle.   :)
The pliers are surprisingly stout. Much tougher than I expected.
Correct as well. It is large and small at the same time, depending on where your carrying it. Slide in a side pocket and you're got to go. Put it in your pants pocket and it sticks out half way. It's a confusing tool. Doesn't sound like I'm alone in my thoughts either  :cheers:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 06:29:09 PM
very nice of you Kaput   :hatsoff:

if I lived in the US I'd probably be first on this pass-around, hopefully somebody will come soon and get it going  :tu:
Totaly would have. But I think we're both aware of those gas prices it'd cost to ship unfortunately.  :cry: I'd like to see your review, from your perspective.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 06:29:43 PM
I'm interested!
Are you still interested?

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 07:11:55 PM
Yessir

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 08:38:34 PM
That looks interesting got any pics
with the tools out thanks :tu: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 10:23:34 PM

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 25, 2018, 10:24:34 PM
That looks interesting got any pics
with the tools out thanks :tu: :like:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75534.0.html

Here ya go

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: February 25, 2018, 10:30:44 PM
Thank kaput nice write up  :tu: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 08:35:55 PM
I've had the Baton Q3 in my possession for just over 2 weeks now, carrying it daily in conjunction with my personal Baton Q1. It was surprisingly easy to pocket carry, thanks to its slim profile, but the length of the tool in conjunction with its extra girth over the Q1 meant I never really forgot I had it; I was constantly brushing against the tool protruding from my front right pocket, reminding me of its presence. Unfortunately, it is also too large for a back pocket, which is where it's little brother the Q1 spends most of its time.

Q1 comparison pics:

I expected that this form factor would be a gimmick at best, but I actually found myself enjoying wearing it, and using it. The drivers are all well formed, and held up to what I asked, and the awl & chisel were actually very good. However, SOG's file has once again let them down, as not only is it too short to be useful,  the teeth are badly cut like all SOG files. Essentially, this is a wasted tool, even a miniature fish scaler would have been a better choice here. The can opener design hasn't changed either; which would indicate, to put in Kampfer's words "it's actually a can't opener".

The pliers are quite comfortable to use, although the handles have the annoying tendency to slide back into place while using the pliers, like so:

Another annoying bit is that the tools are kind of hard to open; much like my PowerAccess, the nail nicks aren't ground quite deep enough to easily engage the tools. And then of course, once the tools are opened, you have a lot of handle, and not much tool to work with. Not a big deal with screwdrivers, but the knife can be a bit  difficult to maneuver,

Overall I was surprised, if not entirely wow'd by this tool. I fully expected a poorly made gimmicky tool; but the Q3 is actually fairly well crafted, and I actually think the pliers & drivers could stand up to real abuse. SOG continues to let me down with their can opener & files, and the sharp objects are good, if a bit stubby. I don't think I would go out of my way to get one though. This form factor simply does not lend itself to a full sized multitool, which the Q3 is trying to be; too much is sacrificed for the "baton" shape.

As a last note, I don't think the Baton series is a bad idea. I actually still daily carry a Baton Q1, which is an excellent companion tool to any Rebar sized multitool, and possibly my new favorite tool. I applaud SOG for trying something new with this series, but the Q3 in particular I think is a loser.

I'll be passing this along to Higgins617 now, so keep an eye out for his thoughts in the coming weeks

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 02:49:52 AM
Patiently awaiting it's arrival!

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 03:15:05 AM

Donations