Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help with a Hoffritz Explorer

gb Offline VoetSak

Help with a Hoffritz Explorer
on: February 04, 2018, 07:00:11 PM
Hi Guys,

I recently got this Hoffritz Explorer it arrived in the mail a few days ago. When I bought it I thought it was early 80s. Now I think it is earlier but hoping I can get some help to confirm a few things as I do not recognise the scissors, the scales don't seem to match etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

Ok tools open shots:

Fluted corkscrew, solid awl, no half stop can opener.Hoffritz on front tang and VSSR on rear. Older mag spring set up/ pre spacer. No pat on can opener though.

Questions:

These are older scissors - see pics above, the knife with the printed scale is an early 80s Champion. These Explorer scissors are different (smaller screw, looks like it is punched on the reverse also the shape of the bevel is different.

The spring seems to have been forced into place here and does not seem to be the correct spring at all. Does anyone know what spring these scissors take (I am guessing single leaf black)? Also the tweezer appears to have been replaced should it be aluminium? If so I have a spare.

Finally it has what I am pretty sure is stainless on the front scale inlays. Should this be nickel silver or is it correct?

Engraved on backsprings....

Thanks for any help you can provide guys.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:17:04 PM by VoetSak »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Help with a Hoffritz Explorer
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 06:38:40 AM
Defnitely looks like double spring scissors to me

For the single spring older ones the handles meet flush up against each other at the pivot 
Whereas the newer ones have a bit of metal 'scooped out' at the pivot
- Ie the blade thickness extends a little beyond the other side of the pivot
See SAAMS:
 http://victorinox.metodi.me/91mmtools.php#scissors

Biggest clue - SS or NS Vic shield - Looks like SS as you say - I doubt they would replace Hoffritz scales unless recycled from ano knife !
Is the Hoffritcz an inlay or stamped - If stamped it's after the early 80s

Other than that I'd say your date etching on the spring is a pretty good clue !! 

Like you say - some confusions / inconsistencies !!

gb Offline VoetSak

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 12:28:54 PM
So for me these are older mid 70s sometime transitional scissors. Just do not have exact dates for them. The spring in the scissors is wrong it should be a silver double spring but smaller at the base. (So nothing to great to gain there). I have an older Victoria Climber with the double spring already in it. (The tweezers should be aluminium which I can change easily enough) and I think I remember reading about Hoffritz scales and the nickel silver timeline being off along with some other variants of scales. Cannot find the reference just now. And still no real idea on date range.

I wish some guy would write a book we could all buy :whistle:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 09:50:09 PM

So for me these are older mid 70s sometime transitional scissors. Just do not have exact dates for them. The spring in the scissors is wrong it should be a silver double spring but smaller at the base. (So nothing to great to gain there). I have an older Victoria Climber with the double spring already in it. (The tweezers should be aluminium which I can change easily enough) and I think I remember reading about Hoffritz scales and the nickel silver timeline being off along with some other variants of scales. Cannot find the reference just now. And still no real idea on date range.

It does look like an original knife to me with the correct scales for a '76 knife.  Only the scissor spring and tweezer look to be replaced. The correct spring for the scissor would be a 'gray' double leaf with the small dia. anchor scroll, and yes there should be aluminum tipped (short head) tweezers.

'76 Hoffritz S11231 CRAFTSMAN (Explorer):

I wish some guy would write a book we could all buy :whistle:

If only there were money to be made on such a venture.  :whistle:

I know you had somebody else specifically in mind...but what little I know about self publishing books is  :ahhh  :facepalm:

But I have done a fair amount of digging and unlocking the secrets of the '70s.  I intend to post on all but the finest little details here starting with this thread here.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 09:59:17 PM
Hoffritz on front tang and VSSR on rear

Mine are like that too.  And with the gray spring is likely early '76.  I have another copy that the scales and T&T were replaced as well as the scissor spring...so I'll never know if that one was late '75 like some of my other Hoff models with the inlay.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%