Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Done with Gerber keychain MT’s

Offline raider502

Done with Gerber keychain MT’s
on: February 05, 2018, 03:34:05 AM
Yesterday I sprung my second set of Gerber keychain multi tools.  The first set, Vise, I had I bought a year or so ago and the first day I went to use them I sprung them and they were busted.  Several people said it was because the Vise was not a great tool so I bought a Dime.  First I didn’t really care for the scissors on them but I could work around that.  Then I had the same experience with the pliers and sprung those.  I plan on sending them both back to Gerber but I’m not interested in repair or replacement because I don’t think I could trust them to use them again or to gift them to anyone else.  This was disappointing because I own at least 4 of Gerbers full-size multi tools and one was the first tool that I ever purchased back in 1995 and it’s still going strong.  I would strongly recommend their full size products but not the keychain tools.  Guess I’m back to looking at Leatherman for a keychain option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Done with Gerber keychain MT’s
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 03:44:56 AM
Was the point of failure on the pliers where the plier head meets the handles? Did it pop under the handle spring thing?

Otherwise, I'm not understanding what you mean by 'sprung' the pliers. Did I get it right?

If so, I'm not sure Leatherman's Squirt will be loads better. If it's applying too much grip strength to them, it might happen to the Squirt as well. They're only keychain scale tools, so they can only handle so much.

Maybe consider an IDL T10. The pliers on them feel much more solid to me. Here's a link to my review of it...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,53304.0.html

And here's a link to the SeberTool M4, the American made earlier version of the tool, by J-Sews...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,3088.0.html

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 05:54:03 PM
whatever the reason of failure was,
I'll agree that Gerber is lacking in the Mini multitool department,

nothing to do with their full size offerings in my experience
  :P
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline raider502

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 06:07:35 PM
Where the handles and the head meet is what broke on both sets.  I don’t feel that I used an unreasonable amount of force on them.  I’ll look at those tools you shared.  I have a small set or Irwin pliers for when I need to really hold something so I’m thinking about going with a Leatherman Micra.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 06:56:46 PM
I actually like my dime quite alot. Especially the package opener. Its just wicked. Pliers works great cutting soft cables up to 1.5mm. To me, these are very light duty ah-hoc tools. Very handy little companion. Use it right and they will take care of you. Turning bolts or twisting things are definitely out of questions. Could you share what were you doing with it when the failure happened?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:58:16 PM by Sam Lim »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 08:11:12 PM
I’m thinking about going with a Leatherman Micra.

The Micra is a great tool. You should be quite happy with it.  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 08:43:15 PM
I carried a Micra for a few years and liked it,best scissors on a small MT IMHO ,my wife has had the same Micra on her keychain for about 4yrs and she also finds it a handy tool,I've been carrying a dime for the last 4yrs with no issues ,but I know these sized tools limitations just like larger MT's  :tu:
20180204_220439_crop_469x540.jpg
* 20180204_220439_crop_469x540.jpg (Filesize: 197.01 KB)

Offline raider502

Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 12:09:41 AM
I had a micra before that I gave to one of the guys that work for me when I decided to try the Dime.  I really liked the scissors and used those more than anything else on the tool.  I’m reevaluating carrying a Leatherman Wave, skeletool, or a Wingman to fill the needs for a pocket set of pliers.  I love my Wave but it doesn’t have a pocket clip.  I don’t trust the clip on the skeletool.  And I just don’t like the Wingman.  Then there is the possibility of buying a Juice S2. 

As far as a key ring tool goes I think I’m going to go for scissors over pliers and it will either be a Micra or the used SAK Rambler I just got off eBay or possibly a midnight Manager at a later date.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 04:27:58 AM
Pocket clip on the Skeletool is quite good, certainly not a weak spot for the tool.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

england Offline macabee

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 05:03:00 PM
Can't go wrong with the Leatherman Micra :whistle:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 05:46:21 PM
Can't go wrong with the Leatherman Micra :whistle:

well you can have both for pliers + scissors

but still I'd pair Squirt + Micra for that   :D

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 06:47:37 PM
Forget LM and Gerber, an IDL plier tool ( like the T5) plus a 91mm SAK sounds wickedly awesome.  >:D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Geezer

Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 10:24:39 AM
I recently picked up a Gerber Dime.  So far, it has been great for my use.  I can't ever see me putting rings and bearings in a Caterpillar engine but for it's intended use, I'm happy with it.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 11:02:36 AM
I used to have a BG mini tool which lasted about a week before the pliers snapped and it was replaced with a LM Squirt P4. Haven't looked back since.

I don't know why or how Gerber can't deliver the goods on mini tools when they do so well with the MP400/600/650/700/800 etc.  :ahhh
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 02:38:43 PM
Two years ago I had 3 Dimes,
yesterday I had one,

as of now I have none.

Good riddance  :D
My toys:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 02:50:50 PM
Forget LM and Gerber, an IDL plier tool ( like the T5) plus a 91mm SAK sounds wickedly awesome.  >:D

And that's exactly what I'm currently carrying. Explorer and T5. GREAT combo.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 03:16:47 PM

And that's exactly what I'm currently carrying. Explorer and T5. GREAT combo.
And I made the above post because of your reviews.  :think:  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 03:52:08 PM
I love my Wave but it doesn’t have a pocket clip.
I am surprised nobody has mentioned this, but the Wave has an add-on  pocket clip that can be found online for less than $10. Installs in seconds. :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline gregpost

Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 10:04:08 PM
I bought a Gerber Dime at Target cause they sell the blue and black scaled version and I had a giftcard. Despite it being a free gift, I instantly regretted it.

I don't think I'm a fan of Gerber. I've tried or owned others and their multitools don't do it for me. The scissors on my Dime are not good, that is the real deal breaker. I think the Dime's design is neat but it's not made well enough. I'm debating returning it. The problem is Target no longer carries Leatherman and they have a very slim selection of Victorinox, I rather have a Classic than this Dime, although it's not a direct comparison.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 10:06:03 PM by gregpost »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 04:57:57 AM
I bought a Gerber Dime at Target cause they sell the blue and black scaled version and I had a giftcard. Despite it being a free gift, I instantly regretted it.

I don't think I'm a fan of Gerber. I've tried or owned others and their multitools don't do it for me. The scissors on my Dime are not good, that is the real deal breaker. I think the Dime's design is neat but it's not made well enough. I'm debating returning it. The problem is Target no longer carries Leatherman and they have a very slim selection of Victorinox, I rather have a Classic than this Dime, although it's not a direct comparison.

You could get one of these;

https://www.target.com/p/handheld-oregon-trail-game/-/A-52719211

us Offline gregpost

Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 10:51:51 PM
lolz

I heard about that. I actually purchased a Pacman game in the clearance aisle.

https://www.target.com/p/pac-man-connect-and-play-12-classic-games/-/A-17276031
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:53:00 PM by gregpost »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 12:39:58 PM
There are several threads on issues with the Dime here, but people still buy them and Gerber has not fixed them, as people are still buying them...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline Tanstaafl

Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 12:58:04 PM
Yep broke 3 in the same way, not even using much force gave up on them in the end, still pondering what to get , the micra is first choice at the moment but the IDL looks like a option.

Kept this one by the freezer for opening bottles tho. :cheers:

IMG_20180401_114928.jpg
* IMG_20180401_114928.jpg (Filesize: 59.67 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%