Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

D_T's Project MegAlox - and naming GAW

us Offline Simyo

Re: D_T's Project MegAlox - and naming GAW
Reply #30 on: February 06, 2018, 05:15:13 AM
Awesome job on the mod, will this work with ether mag and Philips or only the new one?

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: February 06, 2018, 08:26:48 AM
Thanks, all :cheers: :hatsoff:

I'm thinking to thread it three way you did it instead. 2.25 mm is kinda thin to drill into though and I don't have anything more than a handheld drill. Any advice it's very welcome!

I'd advise against trying that with brass. Assuming you'd be able to centre the drill properly and have it (or the pivot) turn true to axis (no mean feat by hand, I think), you'd have a remaining wall thickness of 0.375 mm, into which you'd have to tap thread (assuming you're talking M2 and drilling to 1.5 mm - smaller screws tend to have too small heads and may lack strength). Even assuming you'd manage to clamp the pivots without crushing them for drilling and tapping (ideally you'd use lathe or drill chucks), I think you'd have the pivots fold up on you while assembling the knife. For that kind of wall thickness, stainless steel would be my intuitive choice, but that requires excellent tooling and skills (beyond me in any case). I believe most people who adapt 91 mm SAKs to threaded pivots use at least 3 mm for the live pivots (2.5 mm will work for the fake centre pivots on 93 mm alox models), or even the somewhat larger 1/8" pivots obtainable in the US (these are stainless steel, at least as an option, I believe). Tools would have to be drilled to suit though, and again, by hand, that is not easy to do with the required precision (you'd need a tungsten carbide insert equipped drill bit and slow RPMs; axis needs to be exactly perpendicular to the tool tang).

But in my experience, as limited as it is, hand peening solid brass pivots is very doable for 91 mm models, and would save a lot of hassle. There is the aesthetic appeal of screw heads which you'd miss then, of course.

Awesome job on the mod, will this work with ether mag and Philips or only the new one?

Can't compare old and new at the moment. Assuming both sets are equally thick, this should be possible as lengthwise the old and new ones require the same space (or thereabouts, by memory). It could be however that the old ones are a tad thicker (at least the old grey magnifier, from memory, gives a very slightly thicker impression, which would have to apply to the Phillips too - can anyone conform or deny this?) in which case the back spring might need to be thicker too - then the 93 mm blades back spring would be too thin. One could solve this with washers, but that would be less elegant.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 06, 2018, 09:19:25 AM
Thanks all :cheers:

...holy smurf

Is that your naming suggestion? :rofl: I'd capitalize it, for sure...
That's a brilliant suggestion with the colour an all  :cheers:

The Holy Smurf.

me thinks Mags gets the credit for that one
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #33 on: February 06, 2018, 10:00:00 AM
Very nice mod.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #34 on: February 06, 2018, 10:17:23 AM

...holy smurf

The Holy Smurf.

Credits all yours dude - I was just adding my appreciation  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

hr Offline styx

Reply #35 on: February 06, 2018, 04:36:49 PM

...holy smurf

The Holy Smurf.

Credits all yours dude - I was just adding my appreciation  :cheers:

tell you what, we'll mas wrestle for it. loser gets the prize (if the name is chosen)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline lichan

Reply #36 on: February 06, 2018, 04:46:35 PM
Great looking knife! Here are some naming suggestions: Alox ToolBox, ToolOx, Workalox, WorkOx

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 05:00:13 PM
:popcorn:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 06, 2018, 07:56:36 PM
Good mod and a LOT of useful info, thank you + good job.

My suggestions are: The DutchTool and DutchAlox :)

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: February 06, 2018, 08:09:38 PM
 :cheers: thanks, all!

Keep the names coming :pok:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #40 on: February 06, 2018, 09:01:55 PM
My suggestion, following the 'Handyman', 'Engineer' kind of naming scheme.

The Builder.

OR the Blue Builder.

Or the Big, bodacious, beautiful, blue builder of bonafide bass-a$$ness.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:03:44 PM by Lynn LeFey »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 09:05:38 PM

My suggestion, following the 'Handyman', 'Engineer' kind of naming scheme.

The Builder.

OR the Blue Builder.

Or the Big, bodacious, beautiful, blue builder of bonafide bass-a$$ness.

I'll add Bluetifull to that list :D

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #42 on: February 07, 2018, 02:12:12 AM
Thanks, all :cheers: :hatsoff:

I'm thinking to thread it three way you did it instead. 2.25 mm is kinda thin to drill into though and I don't have anything more than a handheld drill. Any advice it's very welcome!

I'd advise against trying that with brass. Assuming you'd be able to centre the drill properly and have it (or the pivot) turn true to axis (no mean feat by hand, I think), you'd have a remaining wall thickness of 0.375 mm, into which you'd have to tap thread (assuming you're talking M2 and drilling to 1.5 mm - smaller screws tend to have too small heads and may lack strength). Even assuming you'd manage to clamp the pivots without crushing them for drilling and tapping (ideally you'd use lathe or drill chucks), I think you'd have the pivots fold up on you while assembling the knife. For that kind of wall thickness, stainless steel would be my intuitive choice, but that requires excellent tooling and skills (beyond me in any case). I believe most people who adapt 91 mm SAKs to threaded pivots use at least 3 mm for the live pivots (2.5 mm will work for the fake centre pivots on 93 mm alox models), or even the somewhat larger 1/8" pivots obtainable in the US (these are stainless steel, at least as an option, I believe). Tools would have to be drilled to suit though, and again, by hand, that is not easy to do with the required precision (you'd need a tungsten carbide insert equipped drill bit and slow RPMs; axis needs to be exactly perpendicular to the tool tang).

But in my experience, as limited as it is, hand peening solid brass pivots is very doable for 91 mm models, and would save a lot of hassle. There is the aesthetic appeal of screw heads which you'd miss then, of course.

Can't compare old and new at the moment. Assuming both sets are equally thick, this should be possible as lengthwise the old and new ones require the same space (or thereabouts, by memory). It could be however that the old ones are a tad thicker (at least the old grey magnifier, from memory, gives a very slightly thicker impression, which would have to apply to the Phillips too - can anyone conform or deny this?) in which case the back spring might need to be thicker too - then the 93 mm blades back spring would be too thin. One could solve this with washers, but that would be less elegant.
Yeah and my build is 84 mm so I guess I stay penning! Ty for your sage advice!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: February 10, 2018, 07:19:19 PM
:bump:

To solicit further naming suggestions... keep them coming
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: February 10, 2018, 09:00:21 PM
I kind of like Megalox  :tu:

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #45 on: February 10, 2018, 09:34:46 PM
I saw this and the name "Goliath" came into my mind for some reason.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #46 on: February 10, 2018, 11:08:20 PM
You've got all the tools of an older Ranger, pre-backside tools.

You add components of the Explorer and the pliers.

Alox scales. Pliers are useful for metal work. Rangers are also scouts, explorers.

Blue scales, could be a nod to the blue of the forge's flame and/or to blued steel.

HEAVY METAL RANGER.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #47 on: February 11, 2018, 09:07:05 AM
You've got all the tools of an older Ranger, pre-backside tools.

You add components of the Explorer and the pliers.

Alox scales. Pliers are useful for metal work. Rangers are also scouts, explorers.

Blue scales, could be a nod to the blue of the forge's flame and/or to blued steel.

HEAVY METAL RANGER.

Bravo.  :like:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Simyo

Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 06:32:01 AM
I saw this and the name "Goliath" came into my mind for some reason.

Goliath really??? How does it remind you of the evil semi truck in knight rider driven by that crazy goateed sicko Garth? It’s not even black.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 02:06:17 PM
I see that SAK as a Titan, and would name it that way if it were mine.  :tu:
Awesome work!   :salute:

:like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 07:27:11 PM
Hi all,

Here is the result of a project that has kept my leisure time busy the last weeks.

(Image removed from quote.)

Part II below contains some pics and notes regarding the building of this (if I may be so bold) beauty.

Now what shall we name it? The project name is only temporary, as well as somewhat pretentious, and I am looking for a catching name that correctly reflects the capacities. I'll need your help for finding a good name.

Which is where the giveaway comes in!
I'd like to receive your suggestions for a good name. Whoever suggests the best name (which I may in fact take over, or may not, depending on the quality of the suggestions, down to my personal preference of course) will receive the Pioneer below. The deadline is Monday, 15 February at 08:00 Central European Time.
The Pioneer is in fact new, never used, and only abused to the extent of one, really very minor, detail: it used to be a Farmer from which the saw layer has been taken out (hence the new designation), and the pivots redone. t's new, shiny, and beautiful and it offers ample opportunities for disassembly, for instance to give it a thorough cleaning or to... mod it! (The downside is, warranty is void.)

(continued with part II below)

:like: :like: :like: :like: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :gimme:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 08:03:02 PM
Hi all,

Here is the result of a project that has kept my leisure time busy the last weeks.

Part II below contains some pics and notes regarding the building of this (if I may be so bold) beauty.

Now what shall we name it? The project name is only temporary, as well as somewhat pretentious, and I am looking for a catching name that correctly reflects the capacities. I'll need your help for finding a good name.

Which is where the giveaway comes in!
I'd like to receive your suggestions for a good name. Whoever suggests the best name (which I may in fact take over, or may not, depending on the quality of the suggestions, down to my personal preference of course) will receive the Pioneer below. The deadline is Monday, 15 February at 08:00 Central European Time.
The Pioneer is in fact new, never used, and only abused to the extent of one, really very minor, detail: it used to be a Farmer from which the saw layer has been taken out (hence the new designation), and the pivots redone. t's new, shiny, and beautiful and it offers ample opportunities for disassembly, for instance to give it a thorough cleaning or to... mod it! (The downside is, warranty is void.)

(continued with part II below)

:like: :like: :like: :like: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :gimme:

:hatsoff:

Just a heads-up for the naming: remember that the deadline for the GAW is 15th February 8:00 CET.

It may take a while for me to select a good name and decide who gave the best contribution. Those who suggested a name so far: good names, all, thanks very much :tu:

If anyone still wants to submit a name, I feel I prefer a name along the Vic naming convention but it does not have to be an existing name.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: February 12, 2018, 08:31:19 PM
Vic naming convention?

There are assets of the Explorer in there.
Another word for an Explorer, not used by Vic?

The Pilgrim

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: February 12, 2018, 08:32:40 PM
Also assets of the Ranger.
Another word for Ranger, not used by Vic?

The Wanderer

(Not quite a synonym, but actualy a person who walks around without a goal)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:33:53 PM by Mechanickal »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 08:35:38 PM
Or because it's so stunning,
The Stunner
Or
The Shocker

Not making this any easier eh? :D

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #55 on: February 12, 2018, 09:14:24 PM
Following Vic naming conventions I would say Pioneer XL.

But personally I´d prefer something with a little more fantasy, like Giant Smurf.  :D

MegAlox is fine too.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: February 12, 2018, 09:16:11 PM
Not making this any easier eh? :D

No, but I like the accompanying sentiment :tu: :cheers:

:doh: :doh: I just discovered that I wrote Monday in the OP. Of course the 15th is Thursday, at least on this here planet :facepalm:

Apologies to all those that I unwittingly confused. Time constraints make it necessary that I stick to Thursday.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #57 on: February 12, 2018, 10:01:49 PM
Not really along the Vic naming convention ...  But when I saw that beautiful blue I immediately thought of "Old Delft Blue".  One could add a Vic name, like "Old Delft Blue Pioneer" , or "Old Delft Blue Mechanic", or ...

Or maybe, since you had to "kill" four Farmers to get the backsprings maybe it should be named "Springfarmer", or "Farmhunter", honoring the sacrifice the farmers made  ;) .

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: February 15, 2018, 08:19:49 AM
:hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Thank you all for your suggestions!

The amount of creativity, humour and thoughtfulness that has gone into these is simply staggering and humbling  :cheers:
Having said that, notwithstanding the general brilliant quality and despite having gone through them several times both forwards and backwards, unfortunately I have not found a suggestion which I was tempted to adopt immediately and without modification.

However, I do appreciate all of your suggestions. Over the next few days, I will go through them again - this should allow me to zero in on the contribution that provides the best basis for the new name.
I will solemnly pledge to endeavour to announce both said new name, and the forum member authoring the contribution that gave rise to it (aka the winner of this GAW), at or around the beginning of next week. Stay tuned!

:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

The submissions portal is now closed.

:hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: February 15, 2018, 09:09:31 AM
 :popcorn:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!