Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's better than a Gerber MP400?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
What's better than a Gerber MP400?
on: February 06, 2018, 12:26:25 PM
Yesterday I posed the question ‘What is better than a Gerber MP400? And of course the answer is 2 Gerber MP400’s.

Since the 400 arrived in the post (courtesy of Kev Davey) back in April last year, it’s been on my belt and used every day.

There are two main reasons putting the 400 at the top of my fave MT list: The first is the ease of modding it – just get the parts you want and the rest is simple. This is invaluable when living in the UK where lockable blades are banned in public without a good reason. Being able to walk around freely with a multitool is joyous.
Secondly is the combined thrill of one-hand opening and the cool flick to engage the pliers.

The other day Spartan19 pm’d me and offered me a 400 he wanted to pass on. I usually don’t like having doubles (The mighty SI is the only one I have a spare of until now), but I can see the 400 being THE ONE, and so I gratefully accepted it with a ‘Thanks’ and the offer of a Vic Compact in return was accepted, and is now winging its way across the pond as I type.

Anyway, Thanks again to Spartan19 and here’s the 400 pair together for the first time in public:
20180206_111520.jpg
* 20180206_111520.jpg (Filesize: 179.43 KB)
20180206_111551.jpg
* 20180206_111551.jpg (Filesize: 149.03 KB)
20180206_111958.jpg
* 20180206_111958.jpg (Filesize: 218.86 KB)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: What's better than a Gerber MP400?
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 12:38:42 PM
That doesn't look like a public place to me... :pok:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 12:43:30 PM
That doesn't look like a public place to me... :pok:
But notice how flat the 400's are sitting  :D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:44:31 PM by magentus »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 01:03:12 PM
 :rofl:
Nate

SEND IT!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 01:22:55 PM
A "modern" Gerber is still on my wishlist (my first pick would be the bladeless  BO MP600), but they are just to expensive over here (around 103 Euro).  And since I just bought two 25th Anniversary Waves the Gerber MP600 will have to stay on the wishlist a bit longer ...  :o

So for now, Mr. Pinchy is the only Gerber I own  :D.

It might be old, but it does lay flat doesn't it ...  :whistle:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 01:28:23 PM
Love those Mr Pinchy's  :cheers:

You're right, it lies flat in a most un Spirit like way  :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 01:30:58 PM
All this spirit teasing is hilarious.  :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 02:10:08 PM

A "modern" Gerber is still on my wishlist (my first pick would be the bladeless  BO MP600), but they are just to expensive over here (around 103 Euro).  And since I just bought two 25th Anniversary Waves the Gerber MP600 will have to stay on the wishlist a bit longer ...  :o

Had I known...

Then again, you wouldn't have offered me a Mauser for it.
And it was offered on 2dehands for only €30 without ANY bids before I got it 3 weeks after going online :whistle:

I'll keep my eyes open though...

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 02:29:29 PM
:rofl:

Ducky!!! haven't seen you for a while, how are ya?  :waving:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 02:34:33 PM

Had I known...

Then again, you wouldn't have offered me a Mauser for it.
And it was offered on 2dehands for only €30 without ANY bids before I got it 3 weeks after going online :whistle:

I'll keep my eyes open though...

No Mauser, but I do have a sweet Wenger (new in box) which is referred to as being "not very common" on SAKWiki ...  :whistle:

There is one problem however ...

I don't know if you've ever seen "salvage hunters" on National Geographic ?  But the main character in this show, a guy named Drew Pritchard says the worst thing that can happen is if you are invited by a hoarder, since they usually have some nice stuff in their "collection", but they're almost never ready to part from it ...  ::)

And I'm a knife/multitool hoarder (and a couple of other things too ...  :facepalm:), so I actually have two of these "new in box and not very common" Wengers, but it's still hard for me to give one up ... And since I have two sons (and one little girl) I'm always buying multiples of everything these days ...  ::)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 02:44:33 PM
Doing pretty good now Fuzz, how have yeah been been doing?
Nate

SEND IT!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 02:44:46 PM
I missed that Gerber on 2dehands ...  I normally check this site a couple of times a week, but due to some personal "issues" I hadn't found the time for it when the Gerber was for sale ...

Have you seen that mechanical SAK display a couple of days ago on 2dehands, you know, a big SAK knife that has all the tools opening and closing automatically.  It was in reasonable shape, the front was alright, but the back had fainted from being in the sun for too long.  Anyway, opening bid was 30 Euro, I placed a bid for 45 Euro but a couple of days later it was taken offline.  I was expecting to see you there, since it would have looked real nice in your office  :D.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 02:53:18 PM

Yeah, been doing alright, had quite a pleasant past few days.  :cheers:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 02:56:34 PM

Yeah, been doing alright, had quite a pleasant past few days.  :cheers:
:drink:
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 03:00:31 PM
If it's a tool you love and use, then doubles make a lot of sense! Think about if you lose the tool, then you have a backup. If the tool breaks, then you have a tool you can use while the original is out for repair. If the tool is modded and you break the pliers for instance, then you can put the tool back into stock configuration and send it out for repair and have something to use as well. Can't think of a downside to owning two of something you use. Unless you live inside of a matchbox. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 03:11:53 PM
If it's a tool you love and use, then doubles make a lot of sense! Think about if you lose the tool, then you have a backup. If the tool breaks, then you have a tool you can use while the original is out for repair. If the tool is modded and you break the pliers for instance, then you can put the tool back into stock configuration and send it out for repair and have something to use as well. Can't think of a downside to owning two of something you use. Unless you live inside of a matchbox. :cheers:

Or a U Boat  :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 03:24:08 PM

Or the Warp.
Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 03:41:23 PM

Or the Warp.
Or an Undersee Warp Boot  :ahhh

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 04:26:36 PM

I missed that Gerber on 2dehands ...  I normally check this site a couple of times a week, but due to some personal "issues" I hadn't found the time for it when the Gerber was for sale ...

Have you seen that mechanical SAK display a couple of days ago on 2dehands, you know, a big SAK knife that has all the tools opening and closing automatically.  It was in reasonable shape, the front was alright, but the back had fainted from being in the sun for too long.  Anyway, opening bid was 30 Euro, I placed a bid for 45 Euro but a couple of days later it was taken offline.  I was expecting to see you there, since it would have looked real nice in your office  :D.

I've seen that one before a few months ago (matches your description)
I offered 80 for it and mailed him that I could pick it up the next day.

I got a reply a few minutes later that he wanted at least 100.

It was taken offline 2 days later without any higher bids...

I know a guy who's willing to let his MINT mechanical SAK go for 150 including the Victorinox sign hovering above it (attached at the back of the SAK with see through plastic) which is usualy missing.

I'll save my € for that one instead :rofl:

And I thought I was like a son to you :cry:
What Wenger is it? :pok:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 06:56:35 PM
Yesterday I posed the question ‘What is better than a Gerber MP400? And of course the answer is 2 Gerber MP400’s.

Since the 400 arrived in the post (courtesy of Kev Davey) back in April last year, it’s been on my belt and used every day.

There are two main reasons putting the 400 at the top of my fave MT list: The first is the ease of modding it – just get the parts you want and the rest is simple. This is invaluable when living in the UK where lockable blades are banned in public without a good reason. Being able to walk around freely with a multitool is joyous.
Secondly is the combined thrill of one-hand opening and the cool flick to engage the pliers.

The other day Spartan19 pm’d me and offered me a 400 he wanted to pass on. I usually don’t like having doubles (The mighty SI is the only one I have a spare of until now), but I can see the 400 being THE ONE, and so I gratefully accepted it with a ‘Thanks’ and the offer of a Vic Compact in return was accepted, and is now winging its way across the pond as I type.

Anyway, Thanks again to Spartan19 and here’s the 400 pair together for the first time in public:

Glad the Lego guys approve Mags! :tu:
Send In the spartans

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 06:47:41 PM
On the subject of "Doubles"
A lot of my flagship pieces are doubled up

2x Wenger Giant
2x Leatherman Genus
2x Victorinox XXLT
etc etc

Plus ofcourse Gerbers like MP600 series
2x Cable Cutter
2x DET
2x Fisherman
2x MP650

Reason being these are all for my son when he's older, if needs be he can 'cash in' one and still have one in his collection.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:32:11 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 05:01:23 AM
I need to pick up another one.  I love how they carry, and with a saw mod it would be an ideal EDC.  If course I could always pair it up with a Vic with a saw.
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD