Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Replaced Spirit Pin With Screw Post

Offline Jibs182

Replaced Spirit Pin With Screw Post
on: February 08, 2018, 12:52:51 AM
I have maybe 6 Swisstools or Swisstool spirits.  The spirit is by far my favorite - with the butter knife.  The Phillips driver is my most used tool on the spirit.  Inevitably, they end up having an edge chipped off like in the picture below.  I thought it would be cool if I could take the Spirit apart. 

I drilled out the existing pin and measured it.  It was 4mm diameter.  I searched around and couldn’t find the right sized screw posts to take the place of the pin.  I shelved the project and figured there really wasn’t an advantage to being able to take it apart anyway. 

A couple months later on a whim I searched Alibaba and found the screw posts I need.  4mmx12mm long.  They are Phillips head - which is not ideal - but they work.  Here are some pics.

Now the question is - with this new found ability to disassemble and reassemble, what do I do with it?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Replaced Spirit Pin With Screw Post
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 12:59:55 AM
Cool that you found a pivot that fits 8)  it no idea what you can do with it ??? :think:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 01:51:09 AM
Send in for warranty, oops can't do that now  ;)

Pocket clip comes to mind  :tu:

Offline Jibs182

Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 03:18:04 AM
Send in for warranty, oops can't do that now  ;)

Pocket clip comes to mind  :tu:

I’ve sent a few Swisstools in for warranty and Vic has always replaced the whole tool.  I think this tool was actually a warranty replacement from Vic. The warranty is so good I start to feel guilty sending them in!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:20:17 AM by Jibs182 »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 06:24:34 AM
Pocket clip! And maybe mod the screw to a flat head or hex etc, thin it down and give it a polish.

wales Online hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 06:47:29 AM
Good find!  What is the screw post made from - is it nickel plated brass?  Can you put up a link to the part on alibaba please?

Not sure what I'd do with the philips - maybe turn it into a #1, or a marlinspike.  And yes, fit a pocket clip. :pok:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 08:22:24 AM
What hiraethus said/asked, plus what is the screw thread - M3? It it is anything conforming to standard, you can simply swap out the Phillips headed screw that's annoying you for something else (if that was your question... coffee hasn't kicked in yet). Or, universal solution, file it flat(ter).

As to what one could put in, apart from maybe a Phillips out of the LM Rebar, maybe a diamond file from a LM Wave? Loki might have those, but you'd have to redo the pivot profile to ensure locking (if that is possible at all)..
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:27:18 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline Jibs182

Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 11:26:49 PM
What hiraethus said/asked, plus what is the screw thread - M3? It it is anything conforming to standard, you can simply swap out the Phillips headed screw that's annoying you for something else (if that was your question... coffee hasn't kicked in yet). Or, universal solution, file it flat(ter).

As to what one could put in, apart from maybe a Phillips out of the LM Rebar, maybe a diamond file from a LM Wave? Loki might have those, but you'd have to redo the pivot profile to ensure locking (if that is possible at all)..

I have never owned a Leatherman - can I get a rebar Phillips by itself from someone?

was thinking I got the posts on Alibaba, but it was actually amazon - shipped from Hong Kong.  They are “Carbon Steel” that is nickel plated.  Again, not ideal but I have not been able to find anything “off the shelf” to fill this role.  M3 thread.  Post is 12mm long.  I originally had some 16mm long posts and thought I could cut them, but that didn’t work like I had hoped.  Here is the link...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078JFW2JC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I could almost use a 13mm, as the 12 spans the interior of the handle but doesn’t go all the way through the opposite side if that makes sense.  I used this Spirit tool today extensively and it worked great.  Would really like to find a solution for that broken phillips though...

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 02:10:10 AM

I have never owned a Leatherman - can I get a rebar Phillips by itself from someone?[/quote]

Try Loki  :pok:  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,64314.msg1570933.html#msg1570933

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%