Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why I have a fondness for the Buck 110 Folding Hunter

VICMAN · 553 · 15861

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
on: February 08, 2018, 06:42:28 PM
 For those of you who are quite a bit younger than I am, in the 1960's  the main US knife manufacturers were Buck, Case, Schrade Walden Cutlery Corporation (a division of the Imperial Knife Associated Companies), Kabar, Camillus, and Western. There was no such thing as Cold Steel, Spyderco, Benchmade, Strider,Chris Reeve Knives, CRKT, etc.

In the early 1960's when Buck introduced the 110 Folding Hunter most knives sold from about $2.00 to about $6.00, (in 1963 Federal minimum wage was $1.25 an hour), so when Buck introduced knives starting at $16.00 many people said no one would buy them, but they used 440C stainless hardened to a Rockwell hardness of 58 to 60 RC which no one else was offering and they offered a lifetime warranty.

The Folding Hunter was originally designed as a knife that was solid like a fixed blade, but would give the horseman and hunter a knife he could carry safely when riding on horseback or in a vehicle. There is some danger with a fixed blade, if you fall on it regardless of the sheath design.

Buck envisioned it as a knife that would mainly be used by hunters just during hunting season each year, but the public saw the utility of it for edc use and it caught on rapidly and soon it was common to see a Buck 110 on the belt of the average working man.

It became the best selling knife in the world and was the most copied at that time. In 1964, they shipped 255 of them. In 1965, they shipped 2,500, and in 1966, 10,000, and it just kept growing from there. In the first 13 years they sold over 2 1/4 million Buck 110's.

Buck's warranty and use of a higher grade steel raised the bar for the other companies, and they ended up improving their products as a result. Owning a Buck knife meant holding a piece of quality craftsmanship built to last.

While it was not the first lockback knife,the Buck Folding Hunter is the knife that blazed the trail for all the other lockbacks that followed it. It is the knife that made it popular to carry a lockback for edc.

And that is why I have a fondness for the Buck 110 Folding Hunter.

Here are my Buck 110's with 3 Buck 112's on the right side.

Click on 569.83 for full picture.
GEDC0440.JPG
* GEDC0440.JPG (Filesize: 306.33 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Why I have a fondness for the Buck 110 Folding Hunter
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 06:48:02 PM
Nice collection!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 07:09:59 PM
Oh come on!

Now I want a 110 even more! :facepalm:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 07:25:16 PM
that's one hell of a collection
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Offline RR1551

Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 07:49:07 PM
Coolness!‍♂️

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 07:59:01 PM
Nice collection!

+1. Also, nice history lesson!

:salute: :cheers:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 08:00:08 PM
I only have one, bought it from another MTo member. Great feeling, it really is a foldable fixed blade.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 08:03:14 PM
Oh come on!

Now I want a 110 even more! :facepalm:
Everybody should own at least one Buck 110. LOL

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 08:03:41 PM
that's one hell of a collection
Thanks styx.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 08:04:25 PM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 08:04:46 PM
VICMAN, I think you are spot on.

When I was a kiddo (as opposed to just a kid at heart), the name 'Buck' was synonymous with quality. There was only one knife that I wanted, and that was a Buck 110. The price of a Buck put it out of reach for me at the time, but I knew I'd find a way to own one  someday.

Eventually I did get my 110. And it was great. But of course time passes and trends change, knives come and go. I've now tried many different knives and brands, many of excellent quality, but I seem to return to the Buck 110 or 112. These days, I reach for my 110 (along with a trusty SAK) more often than any of the other folders I have. The Buck 110 just feels right in the hand, cuts and slices brilliantly, and looks simply elegant.

I'm really hoping the Buck 110 continues to win over both knife enthusiasts and non-knife people for another 50 years.  :salute:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 08:11:22 PM
VICMAN, I think you are spot on.
I'm really hoping the Buck 110 continues to win over both knife enthusiasts and non-knife people for another 50 years.  :salute:
Thank you Nix.
I can relate to the feeling of when a Buck 110 was out of my price range and I wanted one so bad.
I agree that a Buck 110 and a SAK make a great combo.
I join you in "hoping the Buck 110 continues to win over both knife enthusiasts and non-knife people for another 50 years. "
 :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:14:00 PM by VICMAN »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 10:47:52 PM
Wow!!!!!   :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :like: :like: :like: :drool: :drool: :drool:  Beautiful collection sir!  I, too, remember the days when the companies you listed ruled the knife world, and in high school every boy I knew had a 110 or a lookalike hanging on his belt. 
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 12:16:57 AM
Thanks for posting this.  Great collection too  :salute:.  I see a lot of Bucks at the fleamarket but man do they want a lot of money for them.  While I understand there is a market for collectable Bucks the ones I see are beat to poo.  I'll end up getting one sooner or later for sure. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 12:26:13 AM
Great collection and nice history on the 110  :cheers: :salute: :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 12:38:34 AM
This post took me back a few years, to when I was a kid that wanted one badly but couldn't raise the money for one and had a cheap Pakistani lookalike for a brief period of time.  Well....my son (Spartan 19) has one and it's riding alongside my GAK at the moment on my belt.  Tomorrow I'm going to have my own!  :D :D :D
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 12:51:56 AM
This post took me back a few years, to when I was a kid that wanted one badly but couldn't raise the money for one and had a cheap Pakistani lookalike for a brief period of time.  Well....my son (Spartan 19) has one and it's riding alongside my GAK at the moment on my belt.  Tomorrow I'm going to have my own!  :D :D :D

:ahhh

We'll need photographs!

us Offline David

Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 01:12:37 AM
Reckon that is an impressive collection of 110's Vicman.   8)    :tu:       I bought my first 110 in 73 or 74 it cost me $25.00 if I remember correctly. That was a tidy sum in those days. It was the most beautiful knife Id ever seen at the time. I still think the 110 is a great looking knife. It still has special place in my appreciation of knives. I have few 110's but near the collection you have Vicman. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 01:13:31 AM

:ahhh

We'll need photographs!

+1   :popcorn:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 01:14:30 AM
Barry, 

I've gotten to a point in my life where I think other people would benefit from paying attention to what I say. I'm probably wrong about that, but it amuses me to think I have a useful opinion about certain things.

And breaking in a new Buck is one of those things.  So let me pass of a few observations (and I'd love to hear if other people have ideas on this as well).

Many, if not most, of the new Buck 110's I've met have come from the factory with some grease, grunge, or something embedded in them. This leads to stiff opening, sometimes a gritty feel, and mysterious black stuff on the blade. I don't know if they intentionally over-grease the components before assembly or if this is just a result of their process. (It all seemed neat and tidy when I toured the factory.) I notice this with Buck much more than other knife makers.

So, when I get a fresh and new Buck 110 in my hands, I always grab a rag or two, a few Q-tips (or pipe cleaners, better yet) and a can of oil. Now, be careful, that thing is going to be pretty sharp. I give the whole thing, inside and out, a good spray of oil (Balistol, WD-40, 3-in-1, mineral oil, ATF, whatever you like). Really soak that in there. While it's still sopping wet, work the action back and forth a few times. You'll likely find some black gunk working out of the back lock and from the blade. Just keep wiping that away. I use the Q-tips to clean out the area inside the scales and down under the bottom of the blade. (I usually smash the Q-tips to get them to fit.)

Repeat.

Then I wipe away as much oil as I can and dry it off. At that point, check the edge. Usually, with any new knife, I find they benefit from at least a light stropping.

Finally, I usually finish off with a drop or two of lube in the action and on the spring. I keep working the action, opening and closing, with some frequency for a few days.

I think if you do this, you'll find the action becomes smoother and easier. Buck 110's, in my experience, are kinda like violins where they play better with age and use. At least that's my experience.

Hope you enjoy that new 110. Be safe!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:17:17 AM by Nix »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 01:16:33 AM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 01:36:42 AM
Thank you my friend!  I absolutely will do this and am looking forward to getting some pics to post here  :ahhh :ahhh!  I'm a total Buck novice (along with Case, Utica, Barlow.... :facepalm:).  I've spent the majority of my time packing a Swiss knife of one sort or the other, along with OG Leathermans, so I appreciate the advice buddy!

Barry, 

I've gotten to a point in my life where I think other people would benefit from paying attention to what I say. I'm probably wrong about that, but it amuses me to think I have a useful opinion about certain things.

And breaking in a new Buck is one of those things.  So let me pass of a few observations (and I'd love to hear if other people have ideas on this as well).

Many, if not most, of the new Buck 110's I've met have come from the factory with some grease, grunge, or something embedded in them. This leads to stiff opening, sometimes a gritty feel, and mysterious black stuff on the blade. I don't know if they intentionally over-grease the components before assembly or if this is just a result of their process. (It all seemed neat and tidy when I toured the factory.) I notice this with Buck much more than other knife makers.

So, when I get a fresh and new Buck 110 in my hands, I always grab a rag or two, a few Q-tips (or pipe cleaners, better yet) and a can of oil. Now, be careful, that thing is going to be pretty sharp. I give the whole thing, inside and out, a good spray of oil (Balistol, WD-40, 3-in-1, mineral oil, ATF, whatever you like). Really soak that in there. While it's still sopping wet, work the action back and forth a few times. You'll likely find some black gunk working out of the back lock and from the blade. Just keep wiping that away. I use the Q-tips to clean out the area inside the scales and down under the bottom of the blade. (I usually smash the Q-tips to get them to fit.)

Repeat.

Then I wipe away as much oil as I can and dry it off. At that point, check the edge. Usually, with any new knife, I find they benefit from at least a light stropping.

Finally, I usually finish off with a drop or two of lube in the action and on the spring. I keep working the action, opening and closing, with some frequency for a few days.

I think if you do this, you'll find the action becomes smoother and easier. Buck 110's, in my experience, are kinda like violins where they play better with age and use. At least that's my experience.

Hope you enjoy that new 110. Be safe!
Barry

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 01:46:34 AM
A most impressive 110 collection Vicman! I was not aware there were so many variations.
While I do agree that they set the bench mark for virtually all modern lockback knives and they are still very high quality, I find that they are still a bit handle heavy for extended use.Just my own personal preference;I still own several of them.One thing I do not like about them(and that includes all knives of that size)is the fact that they must be carried in a belt pouch which is extremely uncomfortable for me due to some ongoing back problems.I also cannot carry a pistol on a belt either for the same reason.
Having retired some years ago I do not find the need for a larger knife anymore and if I decide to carry a Buck it will usually be one of the several 500 series small lockbacks they offer. A particular favorite is one with brass liners and one piece handles that look for all the world like ivory.When I purchased it,it came in a small velvet bag. Have yet to see another one like it.
I also have many different Buck models with Kraton(or similar)handles that make excellent carry knives due to their size.
The Buck Titan(Model 186)was a favorite with me when I was working because even at the size of a 110 it only weighed about 1/2 of what the 110 weighed.Unfortunately they were about 3 times the price of a 110 when they were offered and never seemed to go over very well.
Anyway enough of that.I'm glad you enjoy them so much and continue to do so.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 03:27:42 AM
Great thread VMAN :like: :like: I plan on getting one of these in the next while :facepalm: I have mentioned elsewhere that I had a few of the knockoffs and I didn't mention that I got these when I was a young teen ;) I still have them and I do need an original just to see the difference in quality :salute:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 04:11:14 AM
VICMAN - I just drooled on my phone’s screen admiring another excellent collection. 

Was attempted just last night at a Sports Authority store, a 110!with leather sheath $28.   Walmart has 110s with Córdoba or nylon sheath for about the same price. 

I have one and it is to big for my work EDC as many sites have restrictions including some military bases that actually do search my truck occasionally. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:17:06 AM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 04:16:40 AM
Another interesting fact I learned about the 110 is that it was a knife of choice by Hells Angel’s members do to the ability to ride and have sheathed being partially concealed. 

My cousin had several in Vietnam, said he could get at PX for $5 or $6 and was worth a lot more away from base bartering for other important luxuries. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 04:21:38 AM
I am saying this in the most respectful way possible:
I think 110 is an outdated design. Its biggest weakness is weight. 7.2oz! that is a lot of weight for a 3.75" blade.
I personally much fond with Mercator K55K.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline getahl

Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 06:16:54 AM
+1 Kampfer. I love the aesthetics of the 110. The wood, the brass, the solid clunk of the lock, and the gradual upsweep of the blade. But...it a heavy sumbich. It's nearly half a pound. My OG Charge weighs somewhere around there, and I don't carry it either. The single blade thing does not bother me, but it's the weight that keeps it out of my pocket. I'm also not a fan of belt carry, so that eliminates it entirely. There's a light version that I believe just came out, and may look into.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%