Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why I have a fondness for the Buck 110 Folding Hunter

VICMAN · 553 · 17057

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Why I have a fondness for the Buck 110 Folding Hunter
Reply #120 on: February 12, 2018, 05:29:04 AM
 :cheers: Thanks David!!
Barry

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #121 on: February 12, 2018, 10:56:40 AM

El Peacent, good thoughts there. I may see if I have a sheath that works for the Contego or make a leather friction sheath. Truth be told, it's not a knife I carry much, but maybe that's because I'm not crazy about the ergos? I didn't mean to make the PM2 sound uncomfortable, it's not terrible or too uncomfortable. The PM2 has a thin handle which focuses the pressure narrowly. Many Spydercos are like this. It might be more a case of the 110 spoiling me for the feel of other big knives.  :D

:like:  :cheers:

no, no, don't get me wrong.  :ahhh
Compared to traditional knives (Opinel, Okapi, Buck 110 etc.) the handles of the PM2 (and most other Spydercos) are horrible.  :oops:

But the reason of that shape and thinness is mainly ease of carry and comfortable in the pocket, an addition to the clip. As Sal said, with a folding knife, it's 1-5% cutting and 99-95% carrying, so it is logical that the knife excels in the latter, while still remaining decent in the former.

The shape of modern folder handles is mainly a consequence of the clip, and the intended method of carry of those designs. The pocket clip was the addition around which you built the handle now.   :o

If the clip weren't there and the knife was intended for sheath carry or pocket carry then the most obvious thing would be removing the clip and filling all that void space with rubber, wood, bone or other materials to have a solid, wide and comfortable surface to grab onto, like the Gerber Gators or the 110, among thousands of others

Some clips (like the Spyderco hourglass clip  :pok:) have been developed and improved for decades to try and get some ergonomic lines and not be so uncomfortable in the hand, but the thing is clear and common among all brands:

the clips were a game changer,
improving the carry-ability, accessibility and versatility of positions and carry methods
but worsening the ergonomics, comfort in the hand and results from their use in cutting

notable efforts to compensate for the lack of good grip are the BM Griptilian,

the Spyderco Manix series

the Cold Steel Rajahs

and dozens of other knives that are wide, "chubby" and can easily be unclipped and sheath carried or pocketed  :tu:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:58:29 AM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #122 on: February 12, 2018, 11:10:38 AM
Thanks everyone!  I'm looking forward to EDC'ing it when the 111mm Challenge is over.  The first thing that entered my mind when I unpacked it was that this knife was built like a tank!  I never knew the frame was one piece of solid brass....like Peacent says, what works, works :D

Steve, I'd love to have that on the calendar!  I saw that chimney flu door and thought it fit perfectly!

It'll be nice to see on your carry!  :salute:

many people deem the Buck 110 an obsolete knife desing for defensive purposes, arguing that the lack of speed of deployment, or the possibilty of clipping it to the pocket makes it cumbersome, slow and useless.

But let me tell you that if you really need a knife that bad, the Buck 110 is a solid (pun intended) choice, because even without the blade out, the solid brass and pommel will break bone, crack fingers and incapacitate hands.  :o
Add to that, the fact that a blade may be more lethal and deadly, but a heavy blow is always more incapacitating and faster in its effects, immediately rendering someone unconscious, impaired or dead, especially aiming at the head, neck or spine.  :oops:

It's also less messy, bloody and allows you to apply proper -and proportional to the threat- force in key points without doing permanent and ugly damage to the animal or person. Like a kubaton, or other bludgeon. >:D
Also takes away the risk of cutting yourself in the act or having a blade broken/stuck/lost in your attacker or other stuff during the encounter.  ???

Not that I advocate any knife for defense, or that you meant that in your post, but these are things to consider in choosing a good and usable blade that would be good in such dire and improbable circumstances.  :salute:

there's also the legal aspect -looks friendlier and classier, like a more utilitarian blade design-, the usability aspect -a real workhorse of a knife, very good for most things- and the affordability aspect -it costs you $30 to replace if you lose it or have it confiscated-,
as well as the fact that the blade will always be there for your needs, tasks and other possible uses in inappropriate situations

Vamos,
que es a most excellent knife para most things (and that's why it's been so many decades with  us  :cheers:)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #123 on: February 12, 2018, 03:12:49 PM

no, no, don't get me wrong.  :ahhh
Compared to traditional knives (Opinel, Okapi, Buck 110 etc.) the handles of the PM2 (and most other Spydercos) are horrible.  :oops:

But the reason of that shape and thinness is mainly ease of carry and comfortable in the pocket, an addition to the clip. As Sal said, with a folding knife, it's 1-5% cutting and 99-95% carrying, so it is logical that the knife excels in the latter, while still remaining decent in the former.

The shape of modern folder handles is mainly a consequence of the clip, and the intended method of carry of those designs. The pocket clip was the addition around which you built the handle now.   :o

If the clip weren't there and the knife was intended for sheath carry or pocket carry then the most obvious thing would be removing the clip and filling all that void space with rubber, wood, bone or other materials to have a solid, wide and comfortable surface to grab onto, like the Gerber Gators or the 110, among thousands of others

Some clips (like the Spyderco hourglass clip  :pok:) have been developed and improved for decades to try and get some ergonomic lines and not be so uncomfortable in the hand, but the thing is clear and common among all brands:

the clips were a game changer,
improving the carry-ability, accessibility and versatility of positions and carry methods
[/quote]

Great info and great pics Peacent! :like: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #124 on: February 12, 2018, 03:16:10 PM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #125 on: February 12, 2018, 03:21:10 PM
I think you are spot-on El Peacent. Modern knives are designed for carrying, the Buck 110 is designed for using. World of difference, and it shows.

I'm a little bit weird. I find the way a tool (knife, pen, cast iron skillet, hammer, etc....) feels in my hand, makes a big difference in how much I enjoy using that tool or will even bother picking it up. I'm very tactile in that regard. In many ways, in forming my 'view' of a tool, my hands become my 'eyes'.

Great thoughts!  And well stated, as always.  :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #126 on: February 12, 2018, 03:37:18 PM
I think you are spot-on El Peacent. Modern knives are designed for carrying, the Buck 110 is designed for using. World of difference, and it shows.

I'm a little bit weird. I find the way a tool (knife, pen, cast iron skillet, hammer, etc....) feels in my hand, makes a big difference in how much I enjoy using that tool or will even bother picking it up. I'm very tactile in that regard. In many ways, in forming my 'view' of a tool, my hands become my 'eyes'.

Great thoughts!  And well stated, as always.  :cheers:

I think the same way you do Nix as far as the feel of the knife in my hand. :like: :tu: :tu:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #127 on: February 12, 2018, 04:17:16 PM
Agreeing with you all but I'd disagree with what Sal said "with a folding knife, it's 1-5% cutting and 99-95% carrying". A knife for me is all about the cutting with the realisation that I also have to carry it. I'm willing to compromise equally on both but not more than 50% each. I compromise on the fixed blade I'd like to be using because I have to carry it. I'm not willing to compromise on usability past a certain level for an easier carry. I'm certainly not willing to carry thick, wide, tall, long blades designed specifically for to make space for the opening mechanisms and of course tacti-coolness when a SAK/Opinel/Traditional blade would cut far better and fits in a far smaller package.

Oh and I hate clips. They have never, ever worked for me. Whether holster or sheath or knife. They either don't come out when you want them to or fall out when they are not supposed to. Give me a proper loop sheath any time.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #128 on: February 12, 2018, 04:32:34 PM
Oh and I hate clips. They have never, ever worked for me. Whether holster or sheath or knife. They either don't come out when you want them to or fall out when they are not supposed to. Give me a proper loop sheath any time.

That gets you a great big hug!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #129 on: February 12, 2018, 04:37:57 PM
I don't get clips either - they always seem like they would make the handles really uncomfortable.

My MP400 is carried in a Leatherman leather belt sheath and my SAK is usually on a belt dangler into my pocket.

I'll get that hug now please Nix  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #130 on: February 12, 2018, 04:44:06 PM
Might as well jump in there too!   :whistle:
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #131 on: February 12, 2018, 04:47:05 PM
Wow. This is starting to feel like a movement!

"Bring back the handle! Bring back the handle!"

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #132 on: February 12, 2018, 04:59:16 PM
In my eyes, the 110 has always been a tool, this a work of art. 

Grew up in farming, rural area, several farm hands (full timers) had a fixed blade or 110 sheath carried.

Did not see any carried in town, accept if running for supplies not delivered.   

Imagine west of the plains states maybe more frequent among ranch help. 

Not EDCed by hunters when not hunting. 

As for a challenge, a great idea, unfortunately I can not due to blade length restrictions I encounter at job sites and customers. 3-1/4” is typically the max for folder.   I try to carry a 2-3/4” most. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #133 on: February 12, 2018, 05:21:45 PM

Grew up in farming, rural area, several farm hands (full timers) had a fixed blade or 110 sheath carried.

Did not see any carried in town, accept if running for supplies not delivered.   

Imagine west of the plains states maybe more frequent among ranch help. 

Not EDCed by hunters when not hunting. 

As for a challenge, a great idea, unfortunately I can not due to blade length restrictions I encounter at job sites and customers. 3-1/4” is typically the max for folder.   I try to carry a 2-3/4” most. 

Agreed, LoopCutter.

Most of my 110 carry used to be when day-hiking or hunting. A smaller knife slipping into my pocket at the end of the day for smaller EDC uses. But I find the 110 so nice and comfortable, that it now gets carried on car-camping trips, motorcycle trips, and even as an EDC. Why not?  ???

As for the challenge, I have a couple of ideas. One, quit your job and take up EDCing a 110. Two, if option one sounds too radical, perhaps you could carry a 110 during the challenge when lawful and practical. So, perhaps on weekends and after work. You could still post-up a picture and explain the limitations of carry for legal reasons. I think that is entirely in the spirit of a challenge, and would be instructional for others considering the Buck 110 Lifestyle (yes, we're making this a 'lifestyle' because that's what modern hipsters understand these days.) You could keep one stashed in the glove box for lunch breaks. So, no, you don't get a pass on this challenge. I'm signing you up.

(I used to work in a government facility and I mostly disregarded the knife rules. Would carry a 110, Spydie Military, or even a fixed blade for use at lunch, etc.... But, then, I was almost hoping to get fired at the time.)

Let's start the Buck 110 challenge Mar 15, of this year.  :cheers:

So far we have:

Nix
VICMAN (yeah, you got signed up too)
Barry
Mechanickal (customs office not withstanding)
LoopCutter (press-ganged)
Spatan19 (you're in, right?)

Who else is in here?

We'll start a new thread on or about 15 March for the actually Challenge so as to not clutter up this thread and provide a focused forum for this Epic.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #134 on: February 12, 2018, 05:28:24 PM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #135 on: February 12, 2018, 05:36:19 PM
dks, is that a 110 or a 112? Blade looks like a 'Ranger' blade.  :think:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #136 on: February 12, 2018, 05:37:47 PM
I have no idea - may even be a lookalike

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored

us Offline David

Reply #138 on: February 12, 2018, 05:42:46 PM
Now a days when I carry a Buck 110 its usually one of these two. A two dot 74-80 or a newer 09 model. The difference between the two is obvious.
IMG_9075.JPG
* IMG_9075.JPG (Filesize: 57.36 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #139 on: February 12, 2018, 05:43:04 PM
BF say it is an 112

Well, I'm inclined to agree.

So, does this mean you are joining the 30-day challenge....?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:44:22 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #140 on: February 12, 2018, 05:44:50 PM
Now a days when I carry a Buck 110 its usually one of these two. A two dot 74-80 or a newer 09 model. The difference between the two is obvious.

Nice! This thread just keeps getting better.

:cheers:

us Offline David

Reply #141 on: February 12, 2018, 06:23:47 PM
These are the other 110's I have.
IMG_9087.JPG
* IMG_9087.JPG (Filesize: 59.1 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #142 on: February 12, 2018, 06:38:05 PM
Nice Bucks David! :like: :tu: :tu:
I have a 2 dot Buck 110 too. I like the difference in the hollow grind on the 2 dot ones.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #143 on: February 12, 2018, 06:42:53 PM

Let's start the Buck 110 challenge Mar 15, of this year.  :cheers:

So far we have:

Nix
VICMAN (yeah, you got signed up too)
Barry
Mechanickal (customs office not withstanding)
LoopCutter (press-ganged)
Spatan19 (you're in, right?)

Who else is in here?

We'll start a new thread on or about 15 March for the actually Challenge so as to not clutter up this thread and provide a focused forum for this Epic.

I agree about the 110 Nix.
I don't mind doing the challenge since I already carry a 110, but I don't have a smart phone, so taking pictures is a little more difficult for me.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #144 on: February 12, 2018, 07:11:25 PM
 :like:

us Offline LoopCutter

Why I have a fondness for the Buck 110 Folding Hunter
Reply #145 on: February 12, 2018, 08:26:02 PM
The 15th will work as I get back in country the 11th. 

I will have to bury it deep in suit case if I am scheduled maintenance work at any military bases. 
Our staff who handle those sites was retired Coast Guard and had the tats, they never inspected him or his truck, me, they just liked messing with me

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:54:31 PM by LoopCutter »

Hope yours is as good!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #146 on: February 12, 2018, 08:29:16 PM
4 here, 2 Regular 110's, 1 paperstone 110 and an 112 paperstone

They are all basically new and one is still in the box. I have had them for a few years.

The paperstone has thinner and cutout liners, but they are steel.

I never had the urge/desire to carry them but I like their look. The most likely to be carried will be the 112 paperstone.
IMG_0670.JPG
* IMG_0670.JPG (Filesize: 262.01 KB)
IMG_0672.JPG
* IMG_0672.JPG (Filesize: 306.71 KB)
IMG_0673.JPG
* IMG_0673.JPG (Filesize: 161.06 KB)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #147 on: February 12, 2018, 08:35:15 PM
4 here, 2 Regular 110's, 1 paperstone 110 and an 112 paperstone

The most likely to be carried will be the 112 paperstone.

Nice collection dks!  :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #148 on: February 13, 2018, 12:05:44 AM
+1  :like:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #149 on: February 13, 2018, 02:14:28 AM
@dks  - those are some handsome knives. 
+10

Hope yours is as good!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%