Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Plier play - how much is normal?

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Plier play - how much is normal?
on: February 09, 2018, 11:49:11 PM
I've just found out that my occasionally used 2017 Surge developed some play in the pliers.
It's at a useable level still but shouldn't become more. Or the wire cutters would bite into each other :facepalm:

My OG Supertool and PST for comparison has not.

What is your experience with that if I may ask?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Plier play - how much is normal?
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 12:02:22 AM
My ST300 (which has the same plier head) has a little play but nothing that would affect use :think:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 12:11:48 AM
My Rebar had too much play and I fixed by peening the pivot. There is a new better way to tighten the pivot though see here  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75195.msg1606839.html#msg1606839

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 12:59:08 AM
My ST300 (which has the same plier head) has a little play but nothing that would affect use :think:

Thanks Poncho, well then...maybe it's just broken in now.  :salute:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 01:04:27 AM
My Rebar had too much play and I fixed by peening the pivot. There is a new better way to tighten the pivot though see here  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75195.msg1606839.html#msg1606839

Thanks Steve, I've tried the new way Sam discovered, but the pivot is not moving.

I've peened some scissors successfully before, but I'm not sure I'd try it on the Surge pliers  :dwts:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 06:41:59 AM
How much play is normal? I would think any sort of play is not normal..  :) I do have some that there's a bit of side to side play, if it still can serves what I need it to do. I wouldnt do anything with it. My regular wave does that. But it still cuts stranded wires like a boss.

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 10:29:01 AM
NO PLAY is right answer. If there is just a little play then wire cutter won't work properly and plier head play will be bigger and bigger

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 12:38:37 PM
Thanks Sam and Vjeko,

Yeah... I'll see. I might sent it in for warrantee.

Would you remove the file/saw before sending  ? :think:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 02:01:35 PM
I would remove the file and or saw before sending. They might send you new ones.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 12:34:09 AM
So my 1.5 month old Rebar developed some play as well, and it causes the wire cutters to bite into each other  :facepalm:

I'm not sure what's happening. I'm very cautious to use tools only as and for what they are intended to. No abuse.

The old models I have are fine.

Hope this goes all well.

Thanks again for your replies guys  :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 12:51:15 AM
Hey Matt,
Seems like sending it in would be best. I have two surges(2016 & 2017) and an ST300, as well as many other newer "better" LMs. None of them came with or have developed play in the pliers. In fact, my first Surge came a bit too tight in the pivot and is still a bit  tight after many months of use.
Good luck with it, Matt! Hopefully LM will get it sent back in good time. :cheers:

The only two "bought new" LMs I own that have notable play are the Sidekick and Wingman. But, they have anvil cutters, so that is fine.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 11:20:22 AM
Hey Matt,
Seems like sending it in would be best. I have two surges(2016 & 2017) and an ST300, as well as many other newer "better" LMs. None of them came with or have developed play in the pliers. In fact, my first Surge came a bit too tight in the pivot and is still a bit  tight after many months of use.
Good luck with it, Matt! Hopefully LM will get it sent back in good time. :cheers:

The only two "bought new" LMs I own that have notable play are the Sidekick and Wingman. But, they have anvil cutters, so that is fine.

Thanks gerleatherberman for sharing your experience with your Surge and ST300.
I was just losing confidence in LM a bit but that gives me hope the replacements will be fine.

:salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 12:06:13 PM
If you are sending them in then I hope they fix them up for you and there is no hassle involved :salute: :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 01:56:37 PM
Hey Matt,

Thanks gerleatherberman for sharing your experience with your Surge and ST300.
I was just losing confidence in LM a bit but that gives me hope the replacements will be fine.

:salute:
You're welcome! It is a good thing that everyone that is unhappy with their LM send them in. Maybe LM will tighten up their QC if they keep getting defective tools back. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 02:39:39 PM
Thank you guys, I'll report back when I've got any news  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30