Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Winter Olympics

SteveC · 107 · 3421

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Winter Olympics
Reply #60 on: February 19, 2018, 08:52:01 PM
Did anyone else watch that snowboarding where they would race down a mountain, huts jumps. Get tangled up all crash and then try and continue down before the other people got off the ground?!

Pretty dang entertaining!

I saw that - It was was brilliant... if not brutal!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #61 on: February 19, 2018, 08:53:32 PM
The French is skater suffered a wardrobe malfunction when her costume broke. It got a bit nipply at the end of their routine

Thank you Kev... I'm off to have a look now...

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: February 19, 2018, 09:03:49 PM
Our No.1 hope in the speed skating crashed out again in the 500. Hopefully she can do it in the 1000 and 1500

I heard that, taken out by the Canadian (Edit: apologies, it wasn't a Canuck but a Dutchy wot did it!).
Shame, I saw the qualifier earlier - she was excellent, broke the OR! Like you said hopefully she'll get over it and do well in the next ones.... I hope so, I really like her!  :(

Anyway, Is it just me, or is the bbc just predominantly concentrating on women's stuff for this Olympics, from what I've seen, it's been about 80/20 women's events?

Yeah, Fuzz. Coverage has been largely lady-oriented here as well. Not opposed to EQUAL coverage, per se. Ladies hockey is a much more skilled game with less raw violence, for example. But the ratings are way down, and they are pretending to wonder why. I'm sure that's part of it. So much figure skating, so little of everything else. I'm not passing judgement - figure skating has always been a huge part of Winter Olympics, I'm just saying that I think the average Joe wants to see more action. That and streaming ability is probably why ratings are down

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: February 19, 2018, 09:09:00 PM
The French is skater suffered a wardrobe malfunction when her costume broke. It got a bit nipply at the end of their routine

Thank you Kev... I'm off to have a look now...

Not much to really see, to be honest. Her top could have come clean off and sher chest wouldn't have looked much different than her partner.. I watched that whole event and that sequence (does SEQUENS work here?) last night. Beautiful skating, but none of the ladies was anywhere approaching buxom, for obvious reasons. I give her a lot of credit, though. To skate like that while keeping your top covered took a lot of concentration.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: February 19, 2018, 09:24:10 PM
It's great - snow and sport... and the promise of brattish behaviour and scandal! I really do love it... although the opening ceremony did drag on bit...

Anyway, I was just thinking last night, as one does before one goes to bedy-byes... if there was such a thing as a special Multitool.org Olympics, what events/games would take place?

-Naked and Afraid-style survival in the elements with nothing but a Leatherman Signal?
-Timed reassembling desktop computers or server racks with only a Victorinox Super Tinker?
-Running with Pioneer X scissors? Both 50 and 100 meter dash (or, possibly just a 50 MILLIMETER Gash).
-millenials opening cans with the lobster claw early 1900's style SAK can opener. Timed  number count. The medals can be made from the lids.

Just a few off the top of my head

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: February 19, 2018, 10:03:19 PM
The MT.o version shouldn't "naked and afraid" it should be "extremely over-equipped and eager to test everything brought along". Also a Schröder style weight lifting contest to see how many knives you can carry.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #66 on: February 19, 2018, 10:24:18 PM
I would watch(and participate) in these MTO Olympics.  :D :drool:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #67 on: February 19, 2018, 10:30:02 PM
The MT.o version shouldn't "naked and afraid" it should be "extremely over-equipped and eager to test everything brought along". Also a Schröder style weight lifting contest to see how many knives you can carry.

No... no... I think naked is correct, I work better without the hindrance of clothes... Naked but for a toolbelt of course though... I'm not an animal!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: February 19, 2018, 11:06:44 PM

No... no... I think naked is correct, I work better without the hindrance of clothes... Naked but for a toolbelt of course though... I'm not an animal!

Would you also happen to be as Steinar says "extremly over-equipped and eager to test everything"?   :angel:

Lets see, MTO olympic games:

Fastest opening of all tools wearing mittens.
Sharpest knife judged by meter of paper cut in a minute, and then slicing of rubber hose. Two round event!
Fastest reassembling of an undisclosured multi-tool or SAK presented in pieces.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:08:40 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #69 on: February 20, 2018, 12:01:45 AM

Would you also happen to be as Steinar says "extremly over-equipped and eager to test everything"?   :angel:

Sharpest knife judged by meter of paper cut in a minute, and then slicing of rubber hose. Two round event!

Now we're cooking!!!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #70 on: February 20, 2018, 12:04:03 AM
It's great - snow and sport... and the promise of brattish behaviour and scandal! I really do love it... although the opening ceremony did drag on bit...

Anyway, I was just thinking last night, as one does before one goes to bedy-byes... if there was such a thing as a special Multitool.org Olympics, what events/games would take place?

-Naked and Afraid-style survival in the elements with nothing but a Leatherman Signal?
-Timed reassembling desktop computers or server racks with only a Victorinox Super Tinker?
-Running with Pioneer X scissors? Both 50 and 100 meter dash (or, possibly just a 50 MILLIMETER Gash).
-millenials opening cans with the lobster claw early 1900's style SAK can opener. Timed  number count. The medals can be made from the lids.

Just a few off the top of my head

Don't know about you TB, but I don't fancy doing that in the nip?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #71 on: February 20, 2018, 12:07:43 AM

Now we're cooking!!!

Am I doing it right?

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #72 on: February 20, 2018, 12:16:58 AM

Now we're cooking!!!

Am I doing it right?

(Image removed from quote.)

First ever MTo Olympic Torch... sniff

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: February 20, 2018, 12:31:15 AM
Now we're cooking!!!
Am I doing it right?
(Image removed from quote.)
First ever MTo Olympic Torch... sniff

But who will run around with it? I think that is a tradition?

I was actually thinking about baking one of these days. Of course cooking is different. (See, I'm know that so I'm clearly qualified).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: February 20, 2018, 05:08:04 AM
Too figure skating heavy and not enough coverage of other sports. Show more hockey.  :tu:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: February 20, 2018, 07:26:44 AM
Too figure skating heavy and not enough coverage of other sports. Show more hockey.  :tu:

I'm with you. Show more of ANYTHING else. Figure Skating has a history at the winter games but it's been 15 minutes of Bobsled and two hours of Figure Skating with some very insightful, comedic, but sometimes oddly catty commentary.

Plus there seems to be a concerted effort to show as few men's sports as possible. They touch on them in the highlights, and then it's on to Lindsey Von. Again. Or women's x. Don't get me wrong, I like to see certain events, I'm just looking for a better mix.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #76 on: February 20, 2018, 12:29:08 PM

I'm with you. Show more of ANYTHING else. Figure Skating has a history at the winter games but it's been 15 minutes of Bobsled and two hours of Figure Skating with some very insightful, comedic, but sometimes oddly catty commentary.

Plus there seems to be a concerted effort to show as few men's sports as possible. They touch on them in the highlights, and then it's on to Lindsey Von. Again. Or women's x. Don't get me wrong, I like to see certain events, I'm just looking for a better mix.

Yep absolutely agree. It's getting really silly now on the BBC, there was one morning a few days ago it was like an episode of Loose Women... sorry that ref might not make much sense beyond the UK... but it was bad!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #77 on: February 20, 2018, 12:31:04 PM
Elise Christie's out again - crash then disqualification!!!  :ahhh

england Offline Kev D

Reply #78 on: February 20, 2018, 01:31:56 PM
Elise Christie's out again - crash then disqualification!!!  :ahhh

I said she'd get disqualified somehow before the race started. Funny how she was.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: February 21, 2018, 03:03:04 AM
Women's downhill on now  :tu:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: February 21, 2018, 03:13:12 AM

Yep absolutely agree. It's getting really silly now on the BBC, there was one morning a few days ago it was like an episode of Loose Women... sorry that ref might not make much sense beyond the UK... but it was bad!

Loose Women? I don't know the show, however, I can say that having worked IT for Greencore's USA officers ,I was once apalled to learn one person's password contained the word 'BagPuss.' Almost spun my head around! And THEN they explained that it was a kids show about a kitty-cat puppet. A velvet cat with someone's hand up its arse. Glad we dodged THAT bullet.

Oh, and whenever we had that an upper level manager have me pick her up at the hotel to drive with her to a meeting...what did say when I asked her what time to pick her up? Oh, right...she said: "knock me up at the hotel any time." (As ThundahBeagle affected a sheepish grin and breaks television's 'fourth wall.')
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:19:36 AM by ThundahBeagle »

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #81 on: February 21, 2018, 11:05:11 AM

Loose Women? I don't know the show, however, I can say that having worked IT for Greencore's USA officers ,I was once apalled to learn one person's password contained the word 'BagPuss.' Almost spun my head around! And THEN they explained that it was a kids show about a kitty-cat puppet. A velvet cat with someone's hand up its arse. Glad we dodged THAT bullet.

Oh, and whenever we had that an upper level manager have me pick her up at the hotel to drive with her to a meeting...what did say when I asked her what time to pick her up? Oh, right...she said: "knock me up at the hotel any time." (As ThundahBeagle affected a sheepish grin and breaks television's 'fourth wall.')

Bagpuss is not... (what you said there, which I am not going to repeat), but quite possibly the finest children's televisual show ever produced.... how dare you... you... you poop!

https://youtu.be/UY_ehvuWt7E

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #82 on: February 21, 2018, 09:45:39 PM

:rofl:

Edit to add: am... what was the outcome of this story?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:51:14 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: February 22, 2018, 03:24:33 AM
Well, Fuzz, I told her that 'BagPuss' sounded like an inappropriate password, and she says, " oh, right! You need  a number, too...BagPuss69, then."

That amalgamation tipped me over the edge to laughter.

Evidently the BagPuss children's puppet program first was broadcast in the year 1969. Who knew?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #84 on: February 22, 2018, 05:45:00 AM
It has been a 26 year wait...

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #85 on: February 22, 2018, 05:45:46 AM
...we picked up a bronze medal today!!     :ahhh

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #86 on: February 22, 2018, 05:46:09 AM
And then we got another bronze medal!!     :ahhh   :ahhh

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #87 on: February 22, 2018, 05:46:31 AM
Party at my house tonight, we're celebrating.     :woohoo:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #88 on: February 22, 2018, 05:47:46 AM
Way to go Zoi Sadowski Synnott and Nico Porteous.   :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #89 on: February 22, 2018, 05:49:38 AM
Congrats zman !    :like:

I watched the Halfpipe,  way to go for that young lad !

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%