Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Does anyone carry only a multitool?

LJUSMC · 64 · 2754

us Offline LJUSMC

• LJUSMC on USN, WUS, EDCF
on: February 11, 2018, 09:22:43 AM
What I mean is, does anyone here find themselves carrying only a multitool, and not having an extra pocket knife somewhere on them as well?

Traditionally I’ve carried a Leatherman of some sort, but always had a dedicated knife; either a SAK in my pocket, or one of my Benchmades.

But I recently posted about how, back in 2004, i was deployed to Fallujah with the USMC and, even though I had a separate locking “tactical” knife, I found myself using my Leatherman Wave for every task imaginable; from cutting open MRE’s, cutting rope, paracord, removing splinters, everything. I guess back then it made sense for me to carry as little as possible because I had to carry so much more crap that was mandated (weapons, ammo, grenades, body armor, etc) and it also helped that my LM was on my belt and very easy to reach in any position instead if digging through my pocket.

So today, i got a Swisstool Spirit X in the mail and I’m already in love with this thing. And with the tools and knife being accessed from the closed position, I began to wonder if I could actually just use this as my only knife instead of carrying a separate one... I actually think I can.

I’m a police officer now, and I don’t see myself stopping carrying my Benchmade at work because I don’t have room on my belt for a multitool, and I carry a LM Rebar in my work bag... but for off duty carry I think I’m going to see if I can only use my Swisstool.

Anyone else do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it screwed you.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Does anyone carry only a multitool?
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 09:35:36 AM
Hi LJ,

I did carry a Leatherman only back in the 90s. But since working in an office environment I've got a lot more use out of my SAKs. I do carry a Rebar in a separate bag though sometimes.

I actually change it depending on the situation.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 09:40:33 AM by MTMatt »

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 10:14:58 AM
I carry only 1 piece at a time.
At work I have LM Surge or Charge TTI at my belt.  They have great blade and I don't need separete knife. After work I carry LM Skeletool ... or ZT0450 ... or BM 940-2

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 10:16:46 AM
Define multitool

does it have to be pliers based, US made?

A SAK is a multitool.  Many will just carry a classic or a manager  most of the time.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 10:23:54 AM
The Spirit X will perform just fine for about any daily tasks...

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 10:27:11 AM
I have been carrying only a Spirit X lately. I like a stand alone, and not having multiple choices or a lot of extra things in my pockets, whether it be a Jetsetter or a Surge. I also prefer pocket carry to belt and the Spirit feels very much like carrying a SAK, so it has been working well for me.  :salute:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 11:08:34 AM
If by multitool you mean “pliers based”, then nope.  :P
I carry several modified SAKs, and usually the only blade I have is the little 58mm one on the Rambler/Manager.
That may change if I get a birth year SAK though. :dd:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 11:36:54 AM

There should be plenty in the shops still  :whistle:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 12:10:11 PM
I have tried all sorts of things in the past. For years, I carried a Leatherman Knifeless Fuse due to work restrictions. I stop carrying it once I knew they had stopped production. These days, I only carry a Swiss+Tech 6 in 1 Util-key on my key-chain. I have found this minimalist tool meets all my day to day needs.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 12:48:59 PM

Hah hah.
Funny enough, it seems to be a rare year. I see plenty of ‘98, ‘97, etc, but no ‘99.  :bnghd:

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 01:32:04 PM

Hah hah.
Funny enough, it seems to be a rare year. I see plenty of ‘98, ‘97, etc, but no ‘99.  :bnghd:

I seem to remember a lot of '99 blades showing up on Pioneers and Farmers. I had one, but I think I sold it, if it turns out I still have it I will let you know Pabs.  :salute:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 01:57:41 PM

Hah hah.

I've had a look now (etzy, ebay...) and can only find a 1998  :think:.

WENGER Delemont Swiss Army Knife 1998 SOLDIER ALOX Pocketknife
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:59:15 PM by MTMatt »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 02:09:27 PM

Hah hah.

Ok, I’ll change my birthdate and get that one.  :P :rofl: ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 02:10:12 PM

Hah hah.

I seem to remember a lot of '99 blades showing up on Pioneers and Farmers. I had one, but I think I sold it, if it turns out I still have it I will let you know Pabs.  :salute:
Very cool.  :ahhh :salute:

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 02:27:13 PM
I have tried all sorts of things in the past. For years, I carried a Leatherman Knifeless Fuse due to work restrictions. I stop carrying it once I knew they had stopped production. These days, I only carry a Swiss+Tech 6 in 1 Util-key on my key-chain. I have found this minimalist tool meets all my day to day needs.

If only there was a small stockpile of BNIB Knifeless Fuses somewhere.....  :whistle:

Returning to the OP, I will often carry just a multitool.  Usually I carry a multitool and a SAK, but sometimes it's just one or the other.  Dedicated knives have their benefits, but other than one handed opening (which is common on many multitools now) and slightly better steels, I just don't see the need for them anymore.  Sure they look cool and feel nice, but they are expensive for a decent quality one, and they really can't do anything that a multitool can- and the multitool will do a heck of a lot more.

That really gets us back to why I started this site.  I was a member of a few knife forums years ago and everyone looked down on SAKs because they were considered toys, while at the same time extolling the virtues of having the latest super steel and the strongest lock mechanism.  There were many discussions regarding how you had to have a 50/50 combo edge because in a defensive situation plain edges would bounce off modern materials like Thinsulate.  I refuse to admit how many of those discussions I participated in.   :facepalm:

The reality was though that none of these guys were really using their sleek, sexy tactical folders for much more than opening mail, and when they were faced with a dirty job, or something that might dull that "sweet concave edge" like opening boxes (usually full of more high end tacticool folders!) out came their multitool or Swiss Army Knife because the edges were easier to maintain, and/or it didn't matter if they got dirty.  Little by little, a bunch of guys on those forums started to realize that SAKs and multitools were not toys, and that they were well worth discussions of their own, and that eventually lead to the formation of this place.   :tu:

It's a realization that I believe everyone will come to sooner or later, and that many are already there, and they are just in denial.  Let's face it, an SUV or hatchback may not be as exciting as a Ferrari, but you'll get the kids to school and football practice, get groceries and lumber or go a lot more places with it than you ever will in a fine sports car.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 02:29:27 PM

Hah hah.

Let me know if interested it's 75$
I'll sent you the link via PM
Otherwise, I'll keep you in mind if I'll see one  :cheers:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 02:36:32 PM

Hah hah.

Let me know if interested it's 75$
I'll sent you the link via PM
Otherwise, I'll keep you in mind if I'll see one  :cheers:
Already seen it, and passed. :cheers:
Besides being the wrong year, ebay doesn’t allow you to buy knives if you live on the British isles, right?  :think:

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 02:37:29 PM
Well said Def, I agree.  :cheers:

I do like my Spydie, but it's in the kitchen drawer and without clip, I never intended to carry it, but I use it all the time. It's mostly about utility for me, and if it's a fancy steel and a cool color, all the better, but it had better be useful first.  :salute:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 02:50:29 PM
Besides being the wrong year, ebay doesn’t allow you to buy knives if you live on the British isles, right?  :think:

I've got my Surge via eBay from a German seller.
But got restricted to buy Loki's LM wrenches from Russia  :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:51:30 PM by MTMatt »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 03:42:02 PM
LJ --

I did the 30-day Spirit Challenge with a Spirit X. For me, the Spirit X comes darn close to being a pocket knife with pliers. I found the 30-day challenge was a breeze using the Spirit X. But I did find myself missing having a SAK in my pocket......just because I'm used to having one around. Otherwise, the Spirit did everything I'd want in a mutlitool...or pocket knife. From a task point of view, I never missed a pocket knife.

Do the 30-day Spirit challenge and decide for yourself!   :salute:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 03:44:07 PM

I've got my Surge via eBay from a German seller.
But got restricted to buy Loki's LM wrenches from Russia  :shrug:
I had the same problem when I tried to get Loki wrenches of eBay
I wasn't aloud to buy them  :rant:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 03:47:04 PM
I mainly carry my LM crunch but when I go out
I always take my keys and hanging of my keys is a sak sd  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 04:07:07 PM
I carry a Knifeless Fuse for work reasons and either a Delica or CS American Lawman hidden in my pocket. If I ever need a blade I sneak it out or use a Chinese knock off SAK (which supports Def’s point I guess). Post 911.

Work restrictions aside truth be told I’m pretty sure I can get away with just carrying a Skeletool given my urban needs. But a dedicated knife feels a bit more secure in the hand and easier to clean. I do occasionally do yard work or house repair. Also the CS AL has a bit of nostalgia now. Hard to let it go.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 05:44:46 PM
In the mid 1990s, I got a SOG Crosscut. At some point, someone convinced me that I needed to carry a dedicated knife, so I got a Spyderco Delica. Lovely knife. I never used it. Ever.

So, for literally 20+ years, I have never ONCE encountered a job that I needed to perform that couldn't be handled by the blade on whatever Multitool (to include Swiss Army Knife) I had on me.

So... no. I don't carry a dedicated knife. I only carry a multitool. Well... two, actually. :D

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 11, 2018, 05:48:02 PM
I carry a Spirit all the time too and as great as it is I also need to get a knife with 1 hand too much to use the Vic alone.

If going extra light I leave the Spirit behind but I also feel naked without it(sorry for that image) and I end up reaching for it from instinct a lot anyway?

So usually it will  be a Delica or this along with the Spirit if trying to be light.

Mainly I use any excuse to carry it that I can come up with!

Otherwise I always carry a larger folder too.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:53:54 PM by ezdog »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 06:16:44 PM
I have never just carried a MT like a Leatherman or any other plier based one, only a sak.  I have carried a dedicated folder like my Delica or a sprint run PM2 in the past but those haven't seen the light of day in a very long time!  Now it is just a sak in the pocket and sometimes I will add the P4 (kinda testing out that combo) so I have small plier's if needed but don't carry it often as now I have a different pant style so I don't have the watch pocket anymore which I used for the P4 and my Olight!

I think part of the problem is that I really don't like belt sheaths and think the MT's are too bulky for pocket carry especially just to have loose in the pocket.  I might consider carrying one like a Rebar or similar size wise if Leatherman would put out pocket clips for then.  I do have a Kick that I picked up and was fortunate to find the matching pocket clip thanks to Fuzzy who was kind enough to send it to me, then I was able to get the screw from Leatherman so I have been thinking about testing it out and carry it using the clip and see how that goes! 

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 07:42:47 PM
For pocket carry, it's always my beloved Vic Huntsman. LM Skeletool rides in the bike trunk bag, accompanied by the Topeak Ratchet Rocket.

So no need for a separate knife for me  :pok:

:cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 08:02:17 PM
I have on occasion carried just a MT :cheers:

Been in a few challenges where I had to as well :ahhh :D

So yes I have carried just a MT before and it has always been enough :salute: I just like other options and don't mind carrying lots of stuff :D

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 11, 2018, 08:19:16 PM
Good question LJ.

For years, I only carried a Victorinox Super Tinker. This was in the 80's, and Leatherman was just emerging.  I was introduced to the concept of Leatherman in the 90's and picked up a knock off in late 90's

Eventually picked up a Leatherman PSTII, and loved it. But no matter how much more useful my Leatherman was, I always carried my Super Tinker, mostly just because I always have.

There was a time, though, when my Super Tinker was so damaged, that it sat in my sock drawer for years, and I carried either my Deluxe Tinker, or my Leatherman.

I carry my Rebar daily, and sometimes swap it out for my G1 Surge. I now only carry my Boy Scouts of America  simple Tinker in my pocket, even though I very rarely - if ever - use it. There is clearly nothing on it that isn't already on a Surge or Rebar, except the BSA symbol.

So, force of habit I still carry both. Then, I back up both with another set in my day pack. But I could easily do without the SAK. Unless it's Alox, the scales tend to break and stainless Leatherman does not.

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 08:57:06 PM
Define multitool

does it have to be pliers based, US made?

A SAK is a multitool.  Many will just carry a classic or a manager  most of the time.

Only "US-made" must be off the list, given the popularity of Swiss-made Victorinox pocket knives and multi tools here, and the significant Chinese and Taiwanese production of American brands of multi tools! Even Leatherman has some precision parts made in Europe, and plier heads cast in Mexico.

Until I was in my 40s, there were no "multi tools." When they came around they were always pliers-based . Absolutely no-one called Victorinox knives multi tools. "Multi Tool" as a bit of new terminology designating Leatherman-like tools competed with oscillating multi-function power tools. Victorinox made pocket knives. The "Swiss" idea meant several or many tools on the piece. But they were always knife-based, with other tools. Leatherman and like tools were always pliers-based with other tools.   

I never think of a Swiss Army Knife as a multi tool, but, I don't live in the English-speaking world, and language is always evolving. 
But I like the blade-based vs. pliers-based distinction.

For normal urban use, I never carry a tactical folder, or any weapon-like flipper or assisted opening single-blade knive. Just multi tools, OR, a Victorinox pocket knife. And I prefer my SOG Pocket Power Pliers because it is light enough to toss in my pocket. My Power Assist has two assisted opening blades on the outside, but the inside tool selection is not the best.

Swiss Tool Spirit, yes with the serrated sheepsfoot blade, is also a superior general urban carry. Perhaps the best (and given that many prefer the other models of the Spirit). But my light little SOG PPP is so light it is my first choice among multi tools for general carry.     
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 09:01:44 PM by israelpiper »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD