Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Does anyone carry only a multitool?

LJUSMC · 64 · 2759

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Does anyone carry only a multitool?
Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 10:30:32 PM
Devils advocate....
Is a SAK really a knife based multitool?
If we define a multitool based on its “biggest” “most prominent” function, then it’s a very fuzzy area for SAKs.

Example:
What’s the most prominent function of a 91mm Special Mechanic(Mechanic Jr)? I’d say the pliers, or at the very least the knife and pliers are equally prominent.

What about the XAVT or SwissFlame?? Hmmm........
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 10:44:14 PM
In my vernacular, a Swiss Army Knife is not a multitool.   For me a multitool must be pliers-based.  But that's just a term of art.  To each his own.

Now 11 days into the 111mm Challenge, I'm doing just fine with the SAK Outrider with its big, locking blade.  No need for a dedicated folder.  The Outrider does not deploy as quickly, but is far more comfortable in the hand than almost any folding knife.

Outrider.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 10:46:36 PM
In my vernacular, a Swiss Army Knife is not a multitool.   For me a multitool must be pliers-based.  But that's just a term of art.  To each his own.

Now 11 days into the 111mm Challenge, I'm doing just fine with the SAK Outrider with its big, locking blade.  No need for a dedicated folder.  The Outrider does not deploy as quickly, but is far more comfortable in the hand than almost any folding knife.

+1. I gotta agree with all that.

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 12:37:30 AM
Guys, it's really simple:

If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 02:11:34 AM
I'm not buying into the "Is a SAK a multitool" discussion.
"A word means what I want it to mean, nothing more, nothing less" - Humpty Dumpty

The only tool I EDC is a LM Squirt P4.  I mostly use the blade, then the pliers, then the awl.  It is nice and small and smooth so works well for loose pocket carry.  I usually have one of my vehicles close by, and each of them has an assortment of larger MTs if needed.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 03:28:29 AM
I actually won't carry a multitool and a SAK together. But I will sometimes, and I don't feel like I have too, but an additional dedicated knife with either a SAK or a Leatherman. For fun.

But I will carry a Leatherman by itself for sure and feel just fine. Pliers, knife, tools... done.

multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 05:20:29 AM
I've carried a Vic Spirit almost exclusively everyday for almost a year now and wouldn't have it any other way. Fits well and the pocket and has all the tools I need. People don't flinch when I pull it out to use it also
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline LJUSMC

• LJUSMC on USN, WUS, EDCF
Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 05:46:33 AM
Thanks for the responses, folks. Really enjoying reading the different opinions.

For clarification, when i started my original post, I meant multitool as in “pliers based,” ala leatherman or otherwise.

However, I do understand the opinion that a SAK is by definition a multi-tool, but in my mind I always classified them as “pocket knives.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it screwed you.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #38 on: February 12, 2018, 09:38:37 AM
However, I do understand the opinion that a SAK is by definition a multi-tool, but in my mind I always classified them as “pocket knives.”
I want to argue this as well. If SAKs are pocket knives, does that make the bladeless SAKs pocket knives too?  :D :ahhh ;)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #39 on: February 12, 2018, 09:50:02 AM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #40 on: February 12, 2018, 03:02:24 PM
I carry three, just because I can and find them adequate for different tasks and needs I have every day.
Out of strict necessity I could get by with a good MT for all things (Rebar, Spirit...) or a SAK + pliers (yes, I need pliers quite often)

The OHO folders are there for ease and convenience of use, and because I enjoy them like I enjoy carrying a light, a watch or a good pair of work boots.  :gimme:

Some days I even carry more than one of the three items, because I like variety and to experiment with my gear, that's part of what makes you proficient with it.  :climber:

As for MTs/SAKs and their labeling, I see a SAK as a knife with tools, hence the name, and Multitools as anything that revolves a diversity of implements built up over a design specific implement, such as pliers or shears  :salute:

Nowadays most carry a separate knife or the one on the MT and blades have evolved a lot, but ack in the day most people would rely on the SAK blade as their primary cutting tool, thus making the SAK knife centered in its original purpose and design,
that with the years got screwdrivers, saws, scissors, scalers, mag lenses and openers and other implements added to that template

to my EDC I always add at least one light, because it turns dark every day!  :ahhh
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:10:08 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: February 12, 2018, 06:42:59 PM
I want to argue this as well. If SAKs are pocket knives, does that make the bladeless SAKs pocket knives too?  :D :ahhh ;)
But, by definition, it says it in their name (and abbreviation SAK)

Victorinox SWISS ARMY KNIFE or KNIVES  :)
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: February 12, 2018, 08:04:39 PM
I did carry just a MT ( plier based ) only, I don't anymore tho.  Paring makes the most sense for me.  I like to pair a SAK ( 84mm Tinker ) and Leatherman Squirt P4.  My scissor is handled by a 58mm.  When I do carry a MT I prefer OHO ( Charge TTi ) as it also serves as my main blade.       
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: February 12, 2018, 08:23:41 PM
I'll try carrying a SAK, Spirit or Charge combined with a folder soon.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #44 on: February 12, 2018, 08:45:42 PM
I've carried a Vic Spirit almost exclusively everyday for almost a year now and wouldn't have it any other way. Fits well and the pocket and has all the tools I need. People don't flinch when I pull it out to use it also

This is the road I'm on, trying for a year.  :tu:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #45 on: February 16, 2018, 05:22:35 AM
Light carry for me would be just a Skeletool as a substitute for both a more complete tool set and a pocket knife.  However, I rarely go out with just that. I just really like having a saw and scissors on me so that's where the SAK comes in.

I have completed many 30 day challenges where one tool was all I could carry so I learned to adapt, and overcome the limitations of the tool, but if not restricted by rules I'd much rather carry both a pliers based MT and a SAK that has different tools that compliment the pliers based tool.

For example, one of my favorite combos is a Leatherman Sidekick for the excellent pliers, one hand opening blade, and the saw, carried with a Vic Mountaineer for the additional blades, the scissors, the awl, and the metal file. this gives a good combination of complimentary tools without a lot of duplication or overlap.

I have carried my Spirit almost exclusively for several months as my MT of choice.  I could carry it by itself (and have done so quite often) but I prefer to also carry a dedicated knife for convenience and/or a SAK for utility, as I don't mind the weight or the space a dedicated knife and/or a SAK might take up.  Your mileage may vary.

hr Offline styx

Reply #46 on: February 16, 2018, 08:58:39 AM
I actually often carry only a Rebar. That sucks because it is modded to be knifeless and if I forget a knife it isn't all too fun of an experience when a knife is needed
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #47 on: February 17, 2018, 02:32:53 PM
My LIGHT carry is either my Skeletool OR a Rambler with a pair of screw keys. Those are my going to a political rally options, and the latter is my "haven't gotten as far as real pants today" selection because it goes on a neck lanyard (or a Minimalist).

But for normal carry, no. I carry a single blade folder or small fixed blade for one simple reason- have you ever smelt a Leatherman a week after using it to slice cheese and hard sausage?  :P Fortunately, a PST can be boiled.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: February 17, 2018, 02:41:08 PM
My LIGHT carry is either my Skeletool OR a Rambler with a pair of screw keys. Those are my going to a political rally options, and the latter is my "haven't gotten as far as real pants today" selection because it goes on a neck lanyard (or a Minimalist).

But for normal carry, no. I carry a single blade folder or small fixed blade for one simple reason- have you ever smelt a Leatherman a week after using it to slice cheese and hard sausage?  :P Fortunately, a PST can be boiled.

:o. what do you do with the broth then?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #49 on: February 17, 2018, 02:49:34 PM
That is why the Flair was made!
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: February 17, 2018, 03:17:23 PM

:rofl:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #51 on: February 17, 2018, 03:47:32 PM

and if you throw a Skeletool in there does it become bone broth?   :think:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: February 18, 2018, 02:34:29 AM
Yes & no
Never when I am out; its always 2+ knives/tools.

When I am just bumming around home in shorts or gym pants its just a Surge or Skeletool in my pocket or waistband
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #53 on: February 18, 2018, 08:08:35 AM
I carry a Huntsman and a ST300 or another one of my Leatherman's. 1 handed opening is cool and all,  but there's something about taking your time.
Last of the V8 Interceptors

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #54 on: February 18, 2018, 11:38:08 PM

Poured it down the sink. I get enough iron in my diet.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: February 18, 2018, 11:46:45 PM

Poured it down the sink. I get enough iron in my diet.

:rofl: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: February 19, 2018, 12:46:04 AM
I carry a Huntsman and a ST300 or another one of my Leatherman's. 1 handed opening is cool and all,  but there's something about taking your time.

A lot of times I will be carrying one end of something heavy and need to cut with the free hand which is indeed cool if I can do it.

us Offline LJUSMC

• LJUSMC on USN, WUS, EDCF
Reply #57 on: February 19, 2018, 09:28:25 AM
have you ever smelt a Leatherman a week after using it to slice cheese and hard sausage?  :P Fortunately, a PST can be boiled.

I don’t use my pocket knives for food prep, I have kitchen knives for that LOL

Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it screwed you.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: February 19, 2018, 11:49:51 AM
have you ever smelt a Leatherman a week after using it to slice cheese and hard sausage?  :P Fortunately, a PST can be boiled.

I don’t use my pocket knives for food prep, I have kitchen knives for that LOL

But if you aren't at home then you might have forgotten to bring a kitchen knife ;) Some guys take stuff like that to work to eat and use a folder to prep it at work :salute:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #59 on: February 19, 2018, 12:21:24 PM
When I do carry a multitool (which isn't actually that often), that's all I carry. Any need I have for a knife is easily catered for by the OHO knife/knives of whichever multitool I have on me.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%