Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lynn's $10 MT Challenge

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Re: Lynn's $10 MT Challenge
Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 02:37:51 AM
Lynn, you're cheating! The Huntsman and Explorer- perhaps they should be disqualified. Or at the very least, there should be a mention of the best NON-Vic tool after these two take their victory lap.  :rofl:

Or do you have the super amazing deal of the year that will leave us all jealous as hell waiting?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 02:43:23 AM
Or do you have the super amazing deal of the year that will leave us all jealous as hell waiting?

Well, now... you'll just have to wait and see.

I WILL say the best deal I got is yet to come. Whether or not it's a better tool is up for debate.

EDIT: I'd also add... I would prefer a Vic Huntsman to the $5 Challenge winner, the Aitor, for a number of small, but significant reasons.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:50:21 AM by Lynn LeFey »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 10:39:52 AM
EDIT: I'd also add... I would prefer a Vic Huntsman to the $5 Challenge winner, the Aitor, for a number of small, but significant reasons.
Because Victorinox is just better?  :whistle:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 03:23:32 PM
Because Victorinox is just better?  :whistle:

Mainly because it's still supported. Because replacement parts are plentiful. But honestly, functionally, yes. The Huntsman WAS better. Mostly the blades. And as it's a knife based tool, the blades BETTER be good.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 05:15:34 PM
Coming down to the wire, the next-to-last contestant (and probably the best bargain), a used Leatherman PST.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75950.0.html

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #35 on: February 15, 2018, 05:20:42 PM
Coming down to the wire, the next-to-last contestant (and probably the best bargain), a used Leatherman PST.

Looking forward to this one Lynn!  :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 12:56:19 PM
will be hard to beat the PST for that price, even if used  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 05:59:48 PM
And the final contender, the Gerber MP400 Compact Sport
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75967.0.html

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 06:45:53 PM
 :popcorn:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 07:49:19 PM
Two points of note as the last contestant has finally been introduced.

1. THIS is what it looks like after you test 10 MTs' blades against cardboard...

You end up with a box of cardboard shreds, and a happy cat who believes they are evil snakes that must be murdered.

And

2. Yes, I DO essentially have an endless supply of crusty paint cans to test prying on.  :rofl:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #40 on: February 16, 2018, 10:08:22 PM
And there we have it, folks. All ten contestants in the challenge.

Purchased new for $9.38, the IDL T5
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75709.0.html

Purchased new for $10, the Marble's Camp Knife
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75730.0.html

Purchased used for $10, the Camillus Mil-K knife
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75741.new.html

Purchased new for $8.14, the Plier Wrench
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75808.html

Purchased new for $9.67, the Mossy Oak
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75838.0.html

Purchased used for $9, then added $1 replacement scales, the Victorinox Explorer
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75871.0.html

Purchased used for $8.48, the Leatherman Micra
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75896.0.html

Purchased used for $10, the Victorinox Huntsman
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75927.0.html

Traded for a $7.44 tool, the Leatherman PST

And finally, purchased used for $10, the Gerber MP400 Compact Sport
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75967.0.html

The contenders of the $10 tool challenge.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: February 17, 2018, 05:31:38 PM
well not to say that bigger is always better, but both PST and MP are miles above the IDL and Plierwrench for similar $, as are the Explorer and Huntsman over the other two SAKalikes.  ::)
I think the winners and the best value are pretty clear if you've got $10 to spend 

enjoyed these reviews a lot, thanks Lynn!!!  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #42 on: February 17, 2018, 06:07:10 PM
Thanks.  :salute:

The problem with the 'miles above' is assuming all the space and weight available for them. Sometimes what you NEED is a very small tool.

And, while I'd say that in most instances the Vics OBVIOUSLY beat the Marbles and Camillus knives, both the Mil-K models have more robust pry tools, and more rugged exteriors. And particularly the Marbles's knife, with steel pins, is a good deal more robust construction than the two Vic knives.

So, in some instances, it's a matter of requirements, not absolute function.

With that said, I do intend to eliminate some of these from the running for best tool.

First, there were two tools that, given the chance to do over, I would not purchase. The Plier Wrench and the Camillus Mil-K. The plier wrench had bits that would fall out, the adjustable wrench jaw fell off during testing, and the blade seemed dangerous to use. I would not recommend purchasing this model at any price. If there are better produced versions of this tool, I think it could be a real winner. It has a neat, compact, and useful design, but this particular one was made to the lowest possible standards. When comparing the Camillus Mil-K knife with the modern-made Marbles Camp Knife, I would always pick the Marbles knife. Neither are great, but at least the Marbles has the benefit of more solid pins and better quality construction.

The other two eliminations aren't because I wouldn't buy them again. I think both were worth the $10 I paid. The T5 is a GREAT little tool, but it feels like it needs to be paired with another tool. By itself, it's just so utterly outclassed.The other 'would recommend' elimination is the Marbles Camp Knife. While still better than the Camillus, and an INSANELY robust pocket knife, it needed a lot of work to be fully functional, and that is unacceptable for a knife-based tool to have a blade that needs to be fixed out of the box. I can imagine times and places where it would be the knife I'd chose, but it, like the T5, is outclassed by the other contenders in this competition.

ELIMINATED

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #43 on: February 17, 2018, 07:41:36 PM
Continuing from this point as to 'best' tool is a bit difficult, because it really depends on needs.

If you need an easily pocketable tool, the Micra is obviously best. And you get a REALLY good toolset for everyday needs for that tiny weight burden.

If you need something you can just run out and buy, then the Mossy Oak wins. The tool might be a 'cheap Chinese' MT, but it's a very functional one, and everything works right out of the box.

If I ask what the best tool was as received, I'd say the Huntsman. Like the Mossy Oak, everything worked fine as received, and at Victorinox levels of quality.

If you need good needlenose pliers, I think it's a tossup. The PST reaches tight spaces better. The MP400 has better ergonomics.

There's one tool that you didn't see above, and while it was an absolutely GREAT tool, I'm going to eliminate it; the Explorer. Why is it getting eliminated? Because it shares about 90% functionality with the Huntsman, but the Huntsman didn't smell like a fetid swamp when I got it. With most everything else being equal, the work to bring it up to functioning well is eliminating the Explorer. Even with its issues, the Explorer was ABSOLUTELY worth every cent of the $10 I put into the tool and scales.

ELIMINATED: The Explorer

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #44 on: February 17, 2018, 07:51:30 PM
Given time and access pawn shops and ebay, there is one obvious elimination.

The Mossy Oak is a GREAT tool for a brand-new $10 MT. It has locking tools. The blade was sharp right out of the package. The saw worked, which almost feels like a miracle. But let's be honest. There's a big gulf between 'functional' and 'good'.

There are 4 REALLY good tools left, and the Mossy Oak is only 'good for the price', not just plain old 'GOOD'.

So I have to eliminate the Mossy Oak. However, if you can get over its kind of bulky size, this thing is still pretty amazing for a $10 tool. There are tools for sale out there that cost $20 that aren't nearly as good as this one. If I was in need of a beater/loaner or a tool in short order, I would not hesitate to grab one of these. Still, it's outclassed by the others, so...

ELIMINATED: Mossy Oak

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #45 on: February 17, 2018, 08:04:07 PM
Still in the running...

The Leatherman Micra
The Leatherman PST
The Victorinox Huntsman
The Gerber MP400 Compact Sport

This isn't me stalling. This is a tough decision. It's not the 'one is clearly best' situation of the $5 Challenge. All of these tools have real strengths in certain ways.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #46 on: February 17, 2018, 08:07:46 PM
Four way tie anyone?  :drink:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #47 on: February 17, 2018, 08:17:43 PM
Still in the running...

The Leatherman Micra
The Leatherman PST
The Victorinox Huntsman
The Gerber MP400 Compact Sport

This isn't me stalling. This is a tough decision. It's not the 'one is clearly best' situation of the $5 Challenge. All of these tools have real strengths in certain ways.

I have one of each.  :like:
(2 Micras actually).

Just one reamer between them, though.  :rant:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:31:10 PM by ReamerPunch »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #48 on: February 17, 2018, 08:31:16 PM
As much as it pains me, I'm going to make one more elimination.

The Micra has a lot going for it. It is absurdly easy to carry. That alone makes it a great option. If size limits carry, and the best tool is the tool you have with you, then the ability to have a Micra on your keychain is a huge benefit.

But here's the thing. These are scissor based. A Micra in pristine condition has some of the best scissors in the MT industry. These were not pristine. The scissors of both the Huntsman and MP400 tested better. And taking away the scissors, all of the functions that it shares with the huntsman, the Huntsman did better. I'm not sure that even if the scissors had been perfect that this tool would be better than a Huntsman. I am personally willing to double the weight for the increased functionality of the Huntsman.

Great tool. Even in the condition I received it. Absolutely worth every cent of $10, and the all-stainless steel construction will give you a lifetime of use, if you don't abuse it. It's a GREAT tool, and pretty easy to find on ebay at the $10-and-under price. There's a reason this tool has been produced for so long. It's a great design. It's just not the BEST tool.

ELIMINATED: Leatherman Micra

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: February 17, 2018, 08:53:51 PM
 :popcorn:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #50 on: February 17, 2018, 08:55:20 PM
Being somewhat stuck for picking a winner, I'm opening this up for YOUR input, with a poll, and your chances to sway me...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75975.0.html

The poll will run for 5 days, and you can vote for ONE.

Feel free to visit the poll thread, give me your anecdotes of awesomeness, grievances with a tool, loves, likes, dislikes, happy memories...

We're down to REALLY good tools.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #51 on: February 17, 2018, 09:22:22 PM
ELIMINATED: Leatherman Micra

Too cute and cuddly to compete with the big boys.
Not to worry, little one. You may not have won the contest, but you have won our hearts.  :dd:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #52 on: February 17, 2018, 11:30:45 PM
Not to worry, little one. You may not have won the contest, but you have won our hearts.  :dd:

:rofl:

That was hilariously awesome.  :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: February 18, 2018, 04:38:28 PM
going to vote.
Good challenge Lynn, really intense   :like:
My toys:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #54 on: February 19, 2018, 09:49:12 PM
Final piece of this Challenge puzzle.

A GIVEAWAY!

You have a shot at winning NOT ONE, but TWO of the contestants from the $5 and $10 MT Challenges!

Link to thread below...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76011.0.html

Good luck to all who chose to enter!  :salute:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #55 on: February 22, 2018, 10:38:41 PM
Okay, now I announce the winner.

Or, MY winner. Others may pick differently.

Votes have come in, and the clear winner there was the MP400 Compact Sport. Then at about half the number of votes of that, the PST, and half the votes of THAT, the Huntsman.

And...?

I concur with the findings of the Poll. I think the MP400 was the best on offer in the $10 Challenge.

The good: Comfortable, sturdy pliers, with narrow handle splay, so they do 'big' tasks as well as small. Amazing scissors. All locking tools, so you can REALLY crank on drivers, and maybe the best pry tool I've seen in a while. And something I'm not sure I mentioned, but belt carried, it becomes one of the most comfortable tools of the three.
The bad: It came coated in 'something', paint, tar, I dunno, so it required pretty severe cleaning. The broken small flathead wasn't a deal-breaker, but still a problem. The blade was a complete mess as received. Combined, that means the tool needed a bit of time for it's 'tuneup'. It has pretty stubby drivers. It's right on the edge of being able to be carried in-pocket, and doing so would risk the needlenose pliers punching a hole in your pocket.

What finally clinched the decision for me was that this tool seemed the most likely to meet whatever task I threw at it. Sure, it lacked the PST's File, and the Huntsman's Saw, but was up to harder use at every task they shared in common. It feels like a little toolbox that would get the job done.

And while I'm calling it 'the winner', the truth is, this challenge had a LOT of good tools, and any one (or combination of them) could find times where it would shine. I was actually amazed at what I came up with at the $5- $10 price point. A Micra, Explorer, or Huntsman can give a lifetime of service. They're even better if you pair them with the IDL T5. Or for harder use, pair the Huntsman or Explorer with the PST or MP400. Those are some incredible combinations. Even for those with absolutely no ability to 'tune up' a problem tool, the Mossy Oak was a solid light-medium duty tool right out of the package.

Hope you all enjoyed this challenge. I would like to say one more time that the funds to purchase all these tools came from Multitool.org, so your support, either from checking out stuff in the store or donating to the site is what allows these kinds of tool tests to happen.

And let me know if there's enough interest to push forward with a $15 Challenge.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: February 22, 2018, 11:11:10 PM
Excellent read! I truly enjoyed following this challenge.  :cheers:

I'm on the fence about a USD 15 challenge. On the one hand it will be some very entertaining threads, on the other hand, it sounds almost too "easy" after having seen what you were able to get for USD 10.   :think:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #57 on: February 23, 2018, 01:05:25 AM
Given time and access pawn shops and ebay, there is one obvious elimination.

The Mossy Oak is a GREAT tool for a brand-new $10 MT. It has locking tools. The blade was sharp right out of the package. The saw worked, which almost feels like a miracle. But let's be honest. There's a big gulf between 'functional' and 'good'.

There are 4 REALLY good tools left, and the Mossy Oak is only 'good for the price', not just plain old 'GOOD'.

So I have to eliminate the Mossy Oak. However, if you can get over its kind of bulky size, this thing is still pretty amazing for a $10 tool. There are tools for sale out there that cost $20 that aren't nearly as good as this one. If I was in need of a beater/loaner or a tool in short order, I would not hesitate to grab one of these. Still, it's outclassed by the others, so...

ELIMINATED: Mossy Oak

Speaking about loaner tools:

At one point, I had completely avoided buying low-end tools. However, I loaned a Leatherman Super Tool 300 out once, and it was returned wtih one jaw completely broken off of the pliers, with nothing in the sense of "I'll pay for it", just a half-arsed apology.  The same individual broke the handle off a fiberglass hammer my grandfather had--same excuses. At least that was $5 bargain bin junk, unlike the ST300.  Every time I broke one of my granddad's tools, I gave (or tried to, he wouldn't accept an almost new pair of Channellock needlenose pliers when I lost a pair of Klein needlenose pliers of his out in the woods fixing fences) him one of mine, or repaired it as best I could.  Now I've got three or four really cheap MTs that don't care if I let someone I know has no business what they're doing borrow, but are decent enough that I wouldn't mine using them myself should I need a tool I don't care if I lose or get really nasty. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 01:12:28 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #58 on: February 23, 2018, 02:57:42 AM
I think 'loaner tool' is a perfectly legitimate category of use. AND I honestly think the Mossy Oak is a good tool for that role.

Knucklehead friend (and let's face it, we ALL have one) hands back a wrecked Mossy Oak, and you're out the cost of a big cheeseburger combo meal.

Yes, I equate all cost to the cheeseburger standard. :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: February 23, 2018, 03:18:56 PM
I also have a series of loaner tools that I wouldn't really mind having broken, losing, giving away or being stolen so they are stashed at the work site's drawer, the car, mom's house (2 tools), one in the garden shed etc,

which are decent and usable but nowhere near the big 4 brands' stuff

My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%