Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Customizing Gerber mp600?

Offline HandyGlock17

• New User
Customizing Gerber mp600?
on: February 11, 2018, 10:23:09 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum and Gerber mp600s. Just bought one on amazon and was wondering if there is a way to customize the components of your mp600?

Basically I wanted to get a gerber with replaceable carbide bits, a replaceable saw, and a knife. After looking at every model of the gerber mp600's I discovered no such gerber exists. (the pro scout lacks the replaceable bits, the frontsight lacks the saw, etc.)
So as a compromise I decided to get the mp600 bladeless as it fulfills all requirements except for the knife. I usually have a folding knife or some sort of dedicated knife on me all the time anyway so not having a knife wasn't a deal breaker.

I saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5CgqbGw1Sw

Which was a little long, but interesting. I would love to swap out a component on the bladeless knife (like the can opener or flat head) and put the blade from the frontsight mp600 multitool on it (or any blade for that matter). Is there a way to get only the parts and components of an mp600 without having to purchase a whole other complete mp600 for customization purposes?

Thanks

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Customizing Gerber mp600?
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:40:08 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.   :cheers:

Usually the solution is buying a complete for the parts however it could be worth asking nicely on our tools needed board.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 10:42:05 PM
Hi and welcome handy  :salute:

Where are you? I have a spare blade from an mp400 you are welcome to if you pm me with your address.  You have to have a minimum of 5 posts to be able to pm someone so post a little more on this thread until you have 5 posts.  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 12:10:19 AM
I fit a saw from SOG in my MP600 with some very minor modification. I think you could do the same with a SOG knife blade. SOG sells individual parts for their tools on their website.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67583.msg1313907.html#msg1313907
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:11:20 AM by SteveC »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:53:51 PM
first of, welcome and congrats on your MP600, they are beasts.

secondly, I think you're the only one who prefers Gerber's carbide cutters to a normal cutter. :think:

Leatherman's replaceable cutters are praised and truly good, but Gerber's leave a lot to be desired and in most people's minds and experiences they're garbage, shattering at the slightest effort, unable to cut precisely and unusable for hard stuff, the kind of things you'd want a replaceable and/or hard cutter to cut   :oops:

they just don't work well  :P  you can do your research on that

OTOH, if you want those 3 things in your tool and keep with Gerber, I'd pick an MP800 Legend, the blade is even openable with one hand and darn good in my experience, very sharp and easy to touch up

what I hated about the MP800 were the replaceable cutters  :-\

hope that helps   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 02:52:05 PM
I second the comments on the carbide cutter. They are garbage and expensive to replace. Stay away from them.

Offline HandyGlock17

• New User
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 02:10:33 AM
Hey thanks for the input guys.
I'm a complete noob when it comes to gerber anything so thanks for the info on the carbide bits.
I mainly wanted the carbide bits cause I am afraid of getting the standard cutters dull and thought it would be cool to be able to replace them if they got dull. Are the carbide bits weaker than the standard cutters? I would mainly be using them to cut copper wire maybe at the most/in rare cases to cut something like a metal coat hangar. If they're total crap though then maybe I should go with the mp600 pro scout.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 05:22:46 AM
I'm a complete noob when it comes to gerber anything so thanks for the info on the carbide bits.
I mainly wanted the carbide bits cause I am afraid of getting the standard cutters dull and thought it would be cool to be able to replace them if they got dull. Are the carbide bits weaker than the standard cutters? I would mainly be using them to cut copper wire maybe at the most/in rare cases to cut something like a metal coat hangar. If they're total crap though then maybe I should go with the mp600 pro scout.

The problem with the MP600 carbide cutters is that they are very hard = very brittle.  This means they are excellent for cutting softer wire such as copper as they don't wear so fast, but they can shatter when tried on harder wire (eg coat hangers).  Armed with that knowledge you can make an informed choice.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 07:47:40 AM
Lots of peeps have broken the cutters. I haven't though. Pics etc in this thread.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 10:59:09 AM

You can easily sharpen normal cutters on pliers. The first new MP600 I got with the carbide cutter, I tried to cut cloth hanger. It shattered immediately.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 12:09:43 PM
Another voice against the carbide cutters. I love my MP600 but the cutters put me off using it - They shattered straight away when I used them and I wrote to the UK agent for Gerber who begrudgingly sent me replacements. Haven't tried using them since. The MP400 gets much more use.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Offline HandyGlock17

• New User
Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 06:37:47 PM
Ok, well I canceled my order for the bladeless mp600 cause of the carbide cutters.
I was looking at the mp600 pro scout and noticed that some pictures of it show the knife with an awesome curve like the one on the mp600 frontsight.
Then other pics show it with a wierd straight/serrated knife that looks like the one on the suspension (which in my opinion looks like crap).

Is there a certain model of the scout that has the awesome knife the frontsight has??? ???

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 11:02:17 PM
The wharncliffe style blade is the only one in production on most tools, currently. I believe that Snap-On branded MP600 is the only one without it anymore.
Someone more knowledgeable will likely be along to give a more certain answer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%