Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What to see or do in New York?

kirk13 · 28 · 1018

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
What to see or do in New York?
on: February 13, 2018, 01:55:52 AM
Well,it's now almost certain I'll be making my first trip over the Atlantic in the very near future. I'll be spending a few days in New York,based in Brooklyn!

So,aside from the USS Independence,what would you recommend I see?

Also,looking to future trips,are there any venues for flat track bike racing or midget car racing? Is  there a shooting range where I could pay to try handguns?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What to see or do in New York?
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 05:53:22 AM
The Museum Mile has a half-dozen top museums, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art (one of the top two or three art museums in the world).

https://www.ny.com/museums/mile.html

If you're more into science the American Museum of Natural History is great.

https://www.amnh.org

The Empire State Building is also fun.

The lines to go up in the Statue of Liberty are looong.

Welcome to the US! Hope you have a great trip.   :cheers:

Can't help you with shooting in the NYC area.  If you ever get to Washington, DC there are (were? been 7 years) several gun rental shops out near Dulles airport in Virginia.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:59:26 AM by ColoSwiss »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 06:18:17 AM
Be super careful if carrying a knife in NYC!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 06:27:24 AM
Is  there a shooting range where I could pay to try handguns?

I'm not an expert, but I did a search, and found one of the ranges in NYC had this posted on their website... "In NYC and the five boroughs, a civilian cannot shoot/use/rent a HANDGUN or PISTOL without having a NYC Handgun License issued by NYPD License Division"

So... unless you leave the five boroughs, apparently you can't. Sorry.   :shrug:

If you're willing to drive a bit, then maybe. And i could do a bit more research on that if you care enough.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:13:12 AM
Make sure you know how to get around cheaply.  :D
Buses vs. Taxis vs. Subway.
Depending on how much riding you intend to do, springing for a 7 day ticket (unlimited rides or otherwise) could be a good idea.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 11:17:51 AM
well I already said my peace about carrying in NYC and my sob/jail story, but just don't let a clip be visible if you must carry a knife. I think if you're willing to drive to Pennsylvania, the gun laws are much more laid back and you might be able to shoot there, but double check on google.

I hate NYC for many reasons including the above and the crowds, but definitely go to empire state building to get great view, get some good pizza,check yelp for locations, avoid times square, major tourist trap and so crowded.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:20:45 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:52:50 AM
Could be interesting to stick a big clip on some paper or something and clip that to your pocket.  :whistle:
I'd do that. :facepalm:

Just make sure that you're not carrying any knives when you do it. :P
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:53:54 AM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 02:39:01 PM
Wander around being worried about your personal safety?  ;)

Just kidding, it's pretty comfy there the few times I have been. Seriously though, if you have never seen a show on Broadway it's definitely a worthwhile and memorable thing to do.  :tu: I can't make any specific recommends, as it's been several years, but every one I have seen was amazing.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 01:08:45 AM
well I already said my peace about carrying in NYC and my sob/jail story, but just don't let a clip be visible if you must carry a knife. I think if you're willing to drive to Pennsylvania, the gun laws are much more laid back and you might be able to shoot there, but double check on google.

I hate NYC for many reasons including the above and the crowds, but definitely go to empire state building to get great view, get some good pizza,check yelp for locations, avoid times square, major tourist trap and so crowded.

Cheers guys :tu: After due consideration I simply going to go cold turkey for the duration of my trip and go knifeless.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 01:10:15 AM
Wander around being worried about your personal safety?  ;)

Just kidding, it's pretty comfy there the few times I have been. Seriously though, if you have never seen a show on Broadway it's definitely a worthwhile and memorable thing to do.  :tu: I can't make any specific recommends, as it's been several years, but every one I have seen was amazing.

I think that's one thing I'll be giving a skip. The friend I'm visiting was a keen theatre goer here in londons West End,and complains about Broadway prices.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 01:41:07 AM

Cheers guys :tu: After due consideration I simply going to go cold turkey for the duration of my trip and go knifeless.

Good choice, the one thing most people miss is that it is illegal for a non US citizen to carry a knife, but NYC is messed up even for Americans
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 01:49:57 AM
I'd also add Grand Central station for a quick look, it's impressive, the flat iron building, The American museum of natural history. Oh and Katz's Deli but get there before they open at 0800 otherwise don't bother  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 01:55:36 AM
I'd also add Grand Central station for a quick look, it's impressive, the flat iron building, The American museum of natural history. Oh and Katz's Deli but get there before they open at 0800 otherwise don't bother  :tu:

Nice one Mark,I'd forgotten Grand Central!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 02:11:17 AM
Is  there a shooting range where I could pay to try handguns?

In New York City? That's like asking for a nice kosher deli run by a charming gay couple. In Berlin. Circa 1943.

Out on Long Island I know there are a number of rental ranges, or if you go to Jersey. But I've heard horror stories and nothing but.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 02:20:25 AM
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

True

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 04:34:57 AM

Good choice, the one thing most people miss is that it is illegal for a non US citizen to carry a knife, but NYC is messed up even for Americans

Hmmm...Never heard of it, nor seen any enforcement of a "non-US citizens can't carry a knife" just for not being citizens.

The law in NYC is technically written that the blade length cannot be four inches or more, cannot be gravity or flick-assisted, cannot be a lock blade, and cannot be visible at all outside of your clothing (even a pocket clip) unless actively engaged in a lawful use of the knife. Lawful use is set forth in a sub division of the law which leans heavily in favor of military, police, and EMT use, but in section 6 talks about it being ok to carry if "to or from" picnicking, hiking, camping, etc.

Or, according to the law, you could let a Girl Scout follow you around with it. That would be OK, presumably if she were in here uniform and engaged in girl scout activities, like selling cookies.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:38:32 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 05:10:39 AM
http://www.nytransitmuseum.org

New York Transit Museum

Ride the cable cars onto Roosevelt Island.

A cousin of mine has a German restaurant in Brooklyn. I've never been but its supposed to be good. Ill see if I can dig up the info..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 07:51:44 AM
Regardless of law, every tourist trap will have metal detector to get in so carry one just isn't practical.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 08:01:34 AM
Would something like a SAK 58mm (classic/rambler/etc) fly under the radar for the foreign tourist in NYC? How about a Pioneer? I know it's going to pass the 'gravity' test but the 'foreigner' and metal detector thingies? My dad lives in NY these days (albeit not the city) and I might visit him there eventually.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 09:34:31 AM
Would something like a SAK 58mm (classic/rambler/etc) fly under the radar for the foreign tourist in NYC? How about a Pioneer? I know it's going to pass the 'gravity' test but the 'foreigner' and metal detector thingies? My dad lives in NY these days (albeit not the city) and I might visit him there eventually.
It’s possible to open a 58mm sak with gravity assist if you try hard enough.  :facepalm:
The Canadians are currently in a battle for their lives knives against a proposed law with this loophole.

All hail the hook!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 10:10:52 AM
http://www.nytransitmuseum.org

New York Transit Museum

Ride the cable cars onto Roosevelt Island.

A cousin of mine has a German restaurant in Brooklyn. I've never been but its supposed to be good. Ill see if I can dig up the info..

Great ideas TJ! Thank you :salute:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 11:25:16 AM
It’s possible to open a 58mm sak with gravity assist if you try hard enough.  :facepalm:
The Canadians are currently in a battle for their lives knives against a proposed law with this loophole.

Was there not a thread about that, I can't seem to find it now?  :( I'm going back to BC end of the summer, be a bummer if I can't bring a decent knife!  :ahhh
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:26:47 AM by Fuzzbucket »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 11:27:41 AM

Was there not a thread about that, I can't seem to find it now?  :( I'm going back to BC end of the summer, be a bummer if I can't bring a decent knife!  :ahhh
Yes there was a thread.  :think:

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 11:28:59 AM

I spent about 10 min looking for it, can't find it now.  :think:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 01:11:51 PM

Found it. I remembered that Grant started that topic, so I went to look at his “show posts” and clicked the “topics” button.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75408.msg1615853.html#msg1615853
(As an aside, Grant makes a lot of topics.  :P )

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 01:21:24 PM

Found it. I remembered that Grant started that topic, so I went to look at his “show posts” and clicked the “topics” button.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75408.msg1615853.html#msg1615853
(As an aside, Grant makes a lot of topics.  :P )

Aww cheers Pabs - that's very good of you!  :salute:

Edit: just read it - scary stuff!  :(
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:06:25 PM by Fuzzbucket »

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 01:31:09 PM
- Liberty Island (if you go to New York I think you would regret it if you didn't go there). The boat trip is really nice, gives a nice close view of the statue. We didn't bother going into the statue or pedestal itself. After you visit Liberty Island you can visit Ellis Island.
- Ferry to Staten Island. It's free and gives a nice (but further away) view of the Statue, and also you'll have a nice skyline view of Lower Manhattan.
- View from the observation deck of the WTC (One World Observatory). It's really one of the most impressive views I have ever seen, and they made a nice experience out of it with the elevator and entering the observation deck, which I will not spoil here, in case you want to be surprised. You may have to book in advance and it's not really cheap, but it's so worth it!
- Since you're staying in Brooklyn: walk to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 03:21:17 PM
- Liberty Island (if you go to New York I think you would regret it if you didn't go there). The boat trip is really nice, gives a nice close view of the statue. We didn't bother going into the statue or pedestal itself. After you visit Liberty Island you can visit Ellis Island.
- Ferry to Staten Island. It's free and gives a nice (but further away) view of the Statue, and also you'll have a nice skyline view of Lower Manhattan.
- View from the observation deck of the WTC (One World Observatory). It's really one of the most impressive views I have ever seen, and they made a nice experience out of it with the elevator and entering the observation deck, which I will not spoil here, in case you want to be surprised. You may have to book in advance and it's not really cheap, but it's so worth it!
- Since you're staying in Brooklyn: walk to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge.

Cheers Glen,neat ideas :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%