Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Going for my Hacker badge...

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Going for my Hacker badge...
on: February 13, 2018, 05:50:38 AM
Many people the world over collect the little red-handled wonders we affectionately call "SAKs."  But how many go a step further and actually craft their own knife with the toolset they desire?  I think we would all agree that the Compact manages to pack an impressive complement of tools into a tote-able, two-layer package.  One thing has always bothered me about this model, however--its lack of Phillips driver.  "But what about the Duke?" I hear you say... Yes, yes, the Duke of Edinburgh Pocket Tool is pretty much a Compact with a Phillips instead of a corkscrew.  There are some problems with the Duke as I see it, not the least of which are the neutered "butter knife" blade and the fact that it's damn near impossible to obtain on my side of the pond. 

And so I find myself diving headlong into the world of modding on a quest to swap the corkscrew on a Compact for a Phillips.  Not just any Phillips, mind you, but a square, can key one "borrowed" from an older, no-hook Super Tinker.  So join me now as I share my experience with this mod.  It's still a work-in-progress while I await the arrival of some properly-sized brass rods.  In the meantime, I've managed to free both the corkscrew and Phillips from their respective, former homes using little more than the file and pliers on my Swisstool.
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Re: Going for my Hacker badge...
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 05:53:36 AM
Here we see our donor Super Tinker divested of its scales and Phillips driver.  I began filing away at the smaller of the two ends of the center pin.  When I'd removed enough brass that I was starting to bite into the aluminum liner, I grabbed the other end with my pliers and carefully worked the pin out far enough to remove the driver.  It was easier than I expected.

In the other picture you can see the donor knife next to the Compact with its scales removed.  On to Round 2...
IMG_7462.jpg
* IMG_7462.jpg (Filesize: 250.65 KB)
IMG_7463.jpg
* IMG_7463.jpg (Filesize: 108.68 KB)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:01:34 AM by TennTexan »
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:58:40 AM
It wound up being harder to convince the Compact to give up its corkscrew...  I was able to file off the small end of the center pin easily enough, but because the other end was much more rounded, it was very hard to get a grip on it with my pliers.  As you can see in the pics, I wound up having to put the Compact on a bench block I use when working on my pistols.  Because I was too lazy to go downstairs and find my punches, I wound up using a spare mini screwdriver as a makeshift punch.  A quick tap with the side of my Swisstool was all it took to drive the pin out far enough to grab it with the pliers.  In the last pic you can see a mockup of the square driver in the Compact.  It should look nice once it's finished.  I'll post pics of the final assembly once the brass rod arrives in the mail.
IMG_7464.jpg
* IMG_7464.jpg (Filesize: 187.82 KB)
IMG_7465.jpg
* IMG_7465.jpg (Filesize: 201.98 KB)
IMG_7466.jpg
* IMG_7466.jpg (Filesize: 195.98 KB)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:03:59 AM by TennTexan »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:25:42 AM
Looking good so far... :popcorn:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:30:56 AM
Sweet! Nice work so far TT  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 11:00:11 AM
 :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:56:44 AM
Nice so far :tu: Good luck with the rest of the process :like: :like:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 03:35:01 PM
That's staring to look good  :like: :popcorn:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 04:58:26 AM
This evening I finally got around to finishing the project.  Here you can see the 2.2mm brass rod in my vice with the cut end filed flat so that I can peen it.  The second picture is the end result.  It’s not pretty, but it works.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 05:10:29 AM by TennTexan »

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 05:05:14 AM
With one of the ends peened, I used my file to taper the opposite end a little.  Then, I put the knife in the vice and tapped the rod all the way in as far as it would go.  I then cut the long end leaving roughly 1.5mm and filed that end flat to peen.  I clamped an AR-15 fore end wrench into my vice to give me something to put the other end of the rod against while I hammered.

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 05:09:37 AM
Again, the peening may not be pretty but it works...

I pressed on a set of white reverse-shield Plus scales for the finishing touch.  I couldn’t be happier with how this project turned out.  It was surprisingly easy to do.

The most difficult part was getting the knife compressed with the Phillips and hook in place and installing the rod.  The trick I found for the Phillips was to use a scrap piece of the brass rod between the tool and the vice to let me compress the spring enough to get the rod started.

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 05:45:40 AM
Good job like the result

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 07:31:07 AM
Good job like the result

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk
Thanks!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 09:50:26 AM
Nice thread mate, badge awarded.   :tu:

From now on though you will need to request them like the pros. https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59292.0.html   :cheers:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 11:49:21 AM
 :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 12:00:54 PM
Nice thread mate, badge awarded.   :tu:

From now on though you will need to request them like the pros. https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59292.0.html   :cheers:

:imws:

:D

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 01:46:32 PM
:oops:

Thanks, will do!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 01:50:04 PM
Well deserved badge  :salute:
Keep the mods coming well done  :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00