Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

D_T's 30d (MTO) Pioneer X Challenge Thread

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Re: D_T's 30d (MTO) Pioneer X Challenge Thread
Reply #390 on: March 15, 2018, 08:11:54 AM
:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

Get well soon El C, take enough rest (I think you'll be forgiven if you skip a shot in this challenge)  :tu:
This year's flu is very harsh. My mum's down with it too atm...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #391 on: March 15, 2018, 01:37:24 PM
I wish your mom gets well soon, DT

Awww, it's only 1 day more for me and I'm sad already...

Day 29, opened my breakfast

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #392 on: March 15, 2018, 01:38:50 PM
Get well soon, sacacorchos!!  :salute:

day 29,

PX and coffee first in the morning  :gimme:

then had to dismantle a TV, where the shallow screws were managed by the PX's can opener while the bigger, deeper ones had to be addressed with the Phillips on the Spirit, as the PX just didn't do well with them  :P

and wired a new Audio Stereo system to the TV, awl used to open the box

where the TV was before I found my old Zippo that I had lost a few months ago, it fell from my pocket when wiring the TV one day   :ahhh

then had a coffee outside after transporting the TV to its new home

and finally took a shot of the PX with the (soon to be gone) Wingman, and did a proper farewell for it before it goes to its new owner  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #393 on: March 15, 2018, 01:42:19 PM
You have been busy today TP :tu: :like: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #394 on: March 15, 2018, 02:01:59 PM
Yeah, much busier than I have (with the PX, that is) - nice, TP :tu:

Day 29

On the penultimate day of this great challenge, time for a beauty shot again with just a touch of unsharpness due to lens smudging artistic application of soft-focus.

One will notice immediately the utter lack of marks, dents and other blemishes, even after and in spite of the tortures the PX has undergone during this harsh and protracted challenge. No doubt this is down to the superb build quality of the PX, as all things Victorinox. Either that, or I didn't use it all that much - it is fair to say that the needs for strenuous use of pocket tools have remained rather limited during this past month. One small mark you won't see in the picture appears near the flat end of the cap lifter, where I must have slipped on a screw - so now the PX is not brand-new anymore. However, all through the challenge, whenever not engaged in activity the PX has remained a faithful inhabitant of my front right jeans pocket, at hand for when the need arose.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:21:10 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #395 on: March 15, 2018, 04:18:37 PM

Day 29

On the penultimate day of this great challenge, time for a beauty shot again with just a touch of unsharpness due to lens smudging artistic application of soft-focus.

One will notice immediately the utter lack of marks, dents and other blemishes, even after and in spite of the tortures the PX has undergone during this harsh and protracted challenge. No doubt this is down to the superb build quality of the PX, as all things Victorinox. Either that, or I didn't use it all that much - it is fair to say that the needs for strenuous use of pocket tools have remained rather limited during this past month. One small mark you won't see in the picture appears near the flat end of the cap lifter, where I must have slipped on a screw - so now the PX is not brand-new anymore. However, all through the challenge, whenever not engaged in activity the PX has remained a faithful inhabitant of my front right jeans pocket, at hand for when the need arose.

(Image removed from quote.)

I love how Dutch speakers speak English better than English speaker... Nice artistic soft focus!!
  :tu: :like:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #396 on: March 15, 2018, 04:19:48 PM
Day 29

The PX is the perfect tool to gain access to cold medicine.
IMG_20180315_081447.jpg
* IMG_20180315_081447.jpg (Filesize: 191.6 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #397 on: March 15, 2018, 04:48:32 PM
they say once it bites you is yours. Well, it bit me on my first week with it,
and today again.

It's definitely mine   :facepalm:  :ahhh

and here an evening shot buying flowers for ma

this is getting close to an end, but my love for the PX is not   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #398 on: March 15, 2018, 05:54:34 PM

Day 29

I love how Dutch speakers speak English better than English speaker... Nice artistic soft focus!!
  :tu: :like:
:hatsoff:
I cheat - I had lots of native speaker teachers in school...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #399 on: March 15, 2018, 05:58:45 PM
they say once it bites you is yours. Well, it bit me on my first week with it,
and today again.

It's definitely mine   :facepalm:  :ahhh

and here an evening shot buying flowers for ma

this is getting close to an end, but my love for the PX is not   :salute:

You're really outdoing yourself today TP :like:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #400 on: March 15, 2018, 09:08:57 PM
Day 29. More cycling stuff. More Lezyne. Shiny white high pressure road pump this time with PX on parcel opening duty.
IMG_0511.jpg
* IMG_0511.jpg (Filesize: 240.62 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #401 on: March 15, 2018, 10:14:42 PM
last pic for today,
PX with leftovers

all was good,  :angel:
My toys:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #402 on: March 15, 2018, 10:29:27 PM
Last day tomorrow well done everyone  :tu:
It will of been a fun 30 days Congratulations all :cheers:  :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #403 on: March 16, 2018, 02:05:07 AM
Looks Like a very busy day for Px's all over the Globe today. 
Great picks and conclusions everyone.  Is tomorrow realy the last day?  Feels like we're just getting going good.
So a busy day for my Px too .
Day 29
Started with changing a thermostat on a fryer and ended changing an evaporator in a 1600 pound Ice Machine and gaining a few Battle Scars.

"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

hr Offline styx

Reply #404 on: March 16, 2018, 09:07:55 AM
:ahhh a scuff. or as that is called here - personality
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #405 on: March 16, 2018, 10:00:20 AM
DAY 30 !!!

That's it folks, this is officially the last day of the awlsome 30 days challenge.
Thanks to all of you for the interesting pictures and brilliant accounts of some of the uses. To those that do not own a PX but dropped in occasionally, thanks for your warm support. It's been a hell of a ride :tu::tu::cheers:

I'm of two minds about reaching this milestone... as I gather others are as well. On the one hand, one has to constantly think of not forgetting to post pictures. Now, this wouldn't be so difficult if I had a use for the PX every day... which in an office environment is not necessarily the case. However, during the challenge, on occasion I had to force myself to find a halfway interesting motive for a picture. I hope I haven't bored y'awl to death with them.

Having said that, the PX is unobtrusive enough not to bee too oppressively present, and hence a tool which I find very pleasant to carry around, with (for its size) a lot of utility. More about that below.

But first, a few pics of the PX's routine this morning:

Comparing sizes (I think this PX is reaching puberty). The other one is a Victorinox too, at least 20 years old and massively overengineered for what is touted as its main task, namely ... slicing bread. I have, not once, needed to sharpen this beast. It will still as easily slice bread as any inappropriately placed fingers.

Cup of morning tea. Black, no sugar, thank you.

Brushing teeth. More about the awl later.

Morning office coffee. I think I have told you about how yummy the coffees served in our office bar are?

Some concluding thoughts on the Pioneer X:

Extremely nice look and feel. This is the knife that let me fall in instant love with the Alox 93 mm range, and not just because it's the MTO.org edition.

The looks are brilliant. Not just on the outside (the metallic sheen of the anodised scales is simply gorgeous, especially in this deep red) but also inside, where the liners and polished tools have been arranged in a pattern that pleases my engineer's eye. Assessment:  :drool:
The handling too. The nubs on the alox scales and the latter's slight roughness make them perfectly grippable even with wet hands, much more so than cellidor scales. Also, the lack of tools on the back enables the user to put a lot of finger pressure there to guide the knife blade against stronger opposing forces.

The quality and finish of the tools is beyond reproach, with only minor exceptions.

Knife blade: keeps a very keen edge (even on repeated package opening) and is easy to touch up once that - rarely, I guess from my experience - becomes necessary.

Scissors: among the best on the market, and in fact historically the raison d'être of the PX. Same comments on edge as for the blade. The location of the nail nick is odd at first and requires adaptation of the usual opening technique.

Awl: I must say I like the inline position of the awl a lot (I prefer it over the central position such as on the SwissChamp), and also its shape, combining to great effect both a keen edge, sharp point and reamer with a contour that melds well with the scale contour when folded.

Can opener: I had no occasion to use it for opening a can, but I did use the small screwdriver end to tackle a few stalwart Pozidriv screws. Works reasonably well if you don't expect to apply much torque. Beware of the tool folding up on you - apply pressure in the opening direction to avoid. Slightly larger than its brother on 91 mm tools - which can be an advantage but also a disadvantage...

Bottle opener: I had multiple occasions to use it for opening plural bottles  :drink:. Perfect for that job, even for an operator that has had a few. The large screwdriver end works very well for opening paint can type lids. However, for screws, I get the feeling that the end is not profiled perfectly to fall exactly in the slot - there is a slight taper and rounding to the edges, so that when turning a screw, you need to keep the driver in by applying axial pressure - this is a bit counterintuitive and hence awkward when unscrewing. Like the half stop, though, as well as the wire stripper indent. The latter was not used for its intended purpose yet, but it works well at applying tight bending radii to paperclip ends. The same caveats apply as with the can opener.

Overall tool load: OK, I'll admit it. Did I tell you I was an engineer? No? Well, as such I prefer a slightly more elaborate tool loadout than on a PX. I agree that the PX is a vast improvement over the original Pioneer - the extra scissors just about double its versatility in daily use, I think. However, having been spoiled by other offers both from Victorinox (the iconic SwissChamp) and others (the bigger LMs), I feel that the PX tool loadout still makes me feel vaguely naked. I'm not sure why Victorinox has never built bigger Alox models than that - I am positive there is a market for them. Which is, of course, why I built my own, but that is a different story. Of course, the PX loadout makes it perfectly pocketable, and hence potentially more suitable for frequent carry, which is a major plus point.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:51:24 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #406 on: March 16, 2018, 10:41:14 AM
Day 30 I believe. The PX screwdriver helped me remove the pump mount from its packaging. And here we are with shiny new pump on my fixed gear Jaffa Bike.

A few reflections. I'm not naturally drawn to Alox but the scissors swing it with Pioneer X. I like to have T&T to hand so there's always got to be a companion. But I was surprised how readily what could seem like a bulky SAK slipped neatly into my pocket day after day. This perception has kept me away from the carrying my Farmer  if that's not a saw point for folks here.

But I work most days in an office. Do I need 93 mm? Not really. I did surprise a colleague lifting a tea bag out of my mug with the PX blade one day but she was ok with that novelty and she knows me quite well. And the Pioneer X has been a useful tool in the round. EDIT: The nail nick nevertheless winds me up a treat !

Weighing it up I will include Alox, and especially Pioneer X, in my rotation more often. It has been fun and the scissors have made the PX a credible EDC for my needs. But I'm ready to carry some Cellidor for a while and I'm happy with that prospect. Each to his own. :salute:
IMG_0512.jpg
* IMG_0512.jpg (Filesize: 520.36 KB)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:16:58 PM by Fast Bill »
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #407 on: March 16, 2018, 11:21:26 AM
Day 30, and posting with the PX most used tools opened: knife, scissors and awl.

This PX really made me lust for an alox SAK. Within this challenge, I have bought and now waiting for a 74 Soldier and an OC Electrician. I also hopefully will win a Harvester by tomorrow.

The blade of my PX has been my go-to knife for food prep and utility and has served me well. Its so easy to clean with just water, tissue and air dry. The scissors performed admirably but I still hate how hard it is to open, that I fear cutting my fingers everytime I do.

The awl surprised me as to how useful it can be!

Do I need anything else? PX + saw and pliers is now my dream custom SAK!

I feel great finishing my first 30-day challenge and doing it with MTO colleagues made it much easier! I will miss this daily habit.

Will the PX become my daily SAK now? It will become part of my daily rotation as my alox collection grows.

Congrats to all of us who joined and finished!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:22:52 AM by an0nemus »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #408 on: March 16, 2018, 12:12:01 PM
Totally fun challenge, D_T, and I'll take your template to give some thoughts of mine about the PX, and put some pics I took these days but didn't post   :salute: (long post below)

Extremely nice look and feel. I agree, there's something about the red Alox that the red cellidor lacks, both in feel (those grooved scales give a confident grip) and appeal (can't beat a worn alox,  ::) much different from a worn and scratched cellidor  :P)

also loved the strength and durability they provide, making it easy to pocket carry along tools, keys and banging around other stuff on pouches, sheaths and even among other metallic and tough objects  :gimme:

Knife blade: I like the curve (that belly and shape lends itself to slicing) and the etching seems really durable. The sharp aggressive edge kills any organic food or material and slides through it, from oranges to weeds, herbs and thin branches

and won't corrode if you leave it stained or wet for a while unlike many other pocket knives   :D

Scissors: once adapted to the nick (I had trouble at first, I admit  :facepalm:) they're the kind of scissors for precise, surgical cutting, clean shearing and digging with their sharp, pointy tips

Awl: thinner, better positioned and sharper than most competitor's awls, what aids in penetrating and piercing every kind of material, be it leather, wood, or plastic.

A very nice secondary "edge" when you don't want to mess your main blade, and perfect or knots   :angel:

Can opener: minor screwing and can opening are the two best feats of this, but we cannot overlook its use as a scraper or "tearing device" to grab and rip plastic shells, film packaging or stubborn tape, grabbing it and pulling it with assurance

Bottle opener: I also suffered from slippage and not proper screw engagement with this, but as a prying tool (with the solid Alox scales giving confidence behind the torque) it excels, and for big screws like those in windows and big doors it's excellent and more than enough. I don't drink alcohol or Coke, but it opened two or three bottles this month with ease, as we're used to with Vic's openers   ;)

Overall tool load:  I'm satisfied with it, and wouldn't really add the much loves In-Line Phillips because of its thickness, this one is excellent as slim as it is, and other tools that I might use occasionally (Saw, being the most obvious one) can be found on other Alox like the Farmer.

I wouldn't give this awl for any other tool in the PX, it's marvelous, and since I rarely use the hook (and carry a  multitool for that) and backside awl, chisel or screwdriver I'm totally satisfied with this.

Add to that a smartly placed lanyard hole ring, nub, protrusion) and it's ready to go into your EDC system and handle most things you can encounter.
The Alox farmer (my first Alox) was a revelation, the PX was a love at first sight. Thumbs up to this tool!!  :ahhh  :cheers:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:45:28 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

Offline josh83

Reply #409 on: March 16, 2018, 12:52:17 PM
Sorry guys, I missed day 29 due to illness so this quick picture is to catch me up, and I'll do another one later in the day for my day 30 picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #410 on: March 16, 2018, 01:04:01 PM
Sorry guys, I missed day 29 due to illness so this quick picture is to catch me up, and I'll do another one later in the day for my day 30 picture.

Glad you're here and well enough to post - pic or not   :tu:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

Offline josh83

Reply #411 on: March 16, 2018, 01:05:48 PM

Thanks! I'm feeling much better today. I slept about 20 hours straight and that did the trick.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #412 on: March 16, 2018, 01:37:52 PM

+1 Good you're on the mend :tu:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #413 on: March 16, 2018, 01:39:05 PM
Totally fun challenge, D_T, and I'll take your template to give some thoughts of mine about the PX, and put some pics I took these days but didn't post   :salute: (long post below)

Extremely nice look and feel. I agree, there's something about the red Alox that the red cellidor lacks, both in feel (those grooved scales give a confident grip) and appeal (can't beat a worn alox,  ::) much different from a worn and scratched cellidor  :P)

also loved the strength and durability they provide, making it easy to pocket carry along tools, keys and banging around other stuff on pouches, sheaths and even among other metallic and tough objects  :gimme:

Knife blade: I like the curve (that belly and shape lends itself to slicing) and the etching seems really durable. The sharp aggressive edge kills any organic food or material and slides through it, from oranges to weeds, herbs and thin branches

and won't corrode if you leave it stained or wet for a while unlike many other pocket knives   :D

Scissors: once adapted to the nick (I had trouble at first, I admit  :facepalm:) they're the kind of scissors for precise, surgical cutting, clean shearing and digging with their sharp, pointy tips

Awl: thinner, better positioned and sharper than most competitor's awls, what aids in penetrating and piercing every kind of material, be it leather, wood, or plastic.

A very nice secondary "edge" when you don't want to mess your main blade, and perfect or knots   :angel:

Can opener: minor screwing and can opening are the two best feats of this, but we cannot overlook its use as a scraper or "tearing device" to grab and rip plastic shells, film packaging or stubborn tape, grabbing it and pulling it with assurance

Bottle opener: I also suffered from slippage and not proper screw engagement with this, but as a prying tool (with the solid Alox scales giving confidence behind the torque) it excels, and for big screws like those in windows and big doors it's excellent and more than enough. I don't drink alcohol or Coke, but it opened two or three bottles this month with ease, as we're used to with Vic's openers   ;)

Overall tool load:  I'm satisfied with it, and wouldn't really add the much loves In-Line Phillips because of its thickness, this one is excellent as slim as it is, and other tools that I might use occasionally (Saw, being the most obvious one) can be found on other Alox like the Farmer.

I wouldn't give this awl for any other tool in the PX, it's marvelous, and since I rarely use the hook (and carry a  multitool for that) and backside awl, chisel or screwdriver I'm totally satisfied with this.

Add to that a smartly placed lanyard hole ring, nub, protrusion) and it's ready to go into your EDC system and handle most things you can encounter.
The Alox farmer (my first Alox) was a revelation, the PX was a love at first sight. Thumbs up to this tool!!  :ahhh  :cheers:

Wow... now you've outdone your previous outdoing yourself  :o :o :o :like:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:41:13 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #414 on: March 16, 2018, 05:05:18 PM
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations, guys! Another great challenge. Loved your wrap-up posts covering the pro's and con's.

I honor of your challenge (and because I find it to be such a great knife); I'm carrying my MTo today.  :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #415 on: March 16, 2018, 05:48:36 PM
Congrats guys. Hope you enjoyed carrying them as much as I enjoyed reading this and kicking myself for missing the MTo PX
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #416 on: March 16, 2018, 06:09:31 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations, guys! Another great challenge. Loved your wrap-up posts covering the pro's and con's.

I honor of your challenge (and because I find it to be such a great knife); I'm carrying my MTo today.  :tu:

PX Club  , Limited Edition!   :cheers:
My toys:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #417 on: March 16, 2018, 06:55:24 PM
Day 30

This has been the only challenge I've completed carrying the same knife for 30 days.(pats self on back)

I've grown pretty attached to this PX

IMG_20180316_105146.jpg
* IMG_20180316_105146.jpg (Filesize: 264.3 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #418 on: March 16, 2018, 07:30:07 PM
Great knife. Hope you are feeling better, El C!  :salute:  :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #419 on: March 16, 2018, 07:37:00 PM
Congratulations everyone that did the challenge  :cheers: :like:
I have followed this from the start
Would of loved to join the challenge