Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

UPS lost my Super Tool

lew · 40 · 1529

Offline lew

UPS lost my Super Tool
on: February 15, 2018, 03:26:59 AM
I had an original 1994 Super Tool in pristine condition.  The only issue was the saw; the (non-stainless steel) teeth had rusted away.  Leatherman was going to replace the saw and I sent it in UPS.  UPS lost it.  They are going to pay me the cost of a Super Tool 300, but I'm still sad at the loss.  First problem I have ever had with UPS.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Re: UPS lost my Super Tool
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 04:03:17 AM
I am curious, how much was the shipping cost with UPS and what shipping method?

Offline lew

Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 04:11:28 AM
$11 from Roswell, GA, UPS ground.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 05:03:33 AM
Sorry to hear that, lew.

Think of the replacement Super Tool as inheriting the history of the one that was lost. After all, that story will be part of the new tool's story.

I, too, have never had an issue with UPS. But I guess these things can happen.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 07:57:44 AM
Did you have insurance and how do you prove the value of the tool to UPS?
I'm the milk man!

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 08:16:54 AM
I had an original 1994 Super Tool in pristine condition.  The only issue was the saw; the (non-stainless steel) teeth had rusted away.  Leatherman was going to replace the saw and I sent it in UPS.  UPS lost it.  They are going to pay me the cost of a Super Tool 300, but I'm still sad at the loss.  First problem I have ever had with UPS.

This is like the museums art works: everytime they lend them for an external exhibition there is a chance of lost, damage or robbery.

So, the less times your appreciated tools leave your house the more they will be secure.

You always could have bought a replacement saw and have installed yourself, with Loki wrenches.

Mail is a great risk of lost or "lost" (heavy=expensive >> Robbery)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 11:58:15 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss :-\ I haven't ever had problems with them either :think: Maybe it will still show up and then they will have only had to reimburse you for your troubles :salute:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 12:05:25 PM

This is like the museums art works: everytime they lend them for an external exhibition there is a chance of lost, damage or robbery.

So, the less times your appreciated tools leave your house the more they will be secure.

You always could have bought a replacement saw and have installed yourself, with Loki wrenches.

Hey Alex,
Please do not consider this offensive!
But honestly, I don't think the OP needs a pointy finger in his direction now.
If everyone does their job like they're supposed to, stuff like this wouldn't happen. You can't blame anyone for using the available services when it goes wrong.
The only one to blame is the one(s) who lost the tool.
Good thing they'll at least replace it though. No such luck here.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 12:47:04 PM
I hear you supertool 300 is nice
But a original supertool can't be replaced
I feel for you, maybe one day you will find one again :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 12:57:43 PM
I had an original 1994 Super Tool in pristine condition.   UPS lost it.

So sorry to hear that UPS lost your Super Tool.

The new Super Tool 300 is my favorite tool, but I still can relate to the feeling of losing an original Super Tool.

Perhaps you may be able to find another original on E-bay at a reasonable price. Earlier this year there were several that  were in new condition, that even had the stickers still on the handle.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 01:24:02 PM

Hey Alex,
If everyone does their job like they're supposed to, stuff like this wouldn't happen. You can't blame anyone for using the available services when it goes wrong.
:imws:

We've had tools go around the world here, passed from one member to another, all different countries, all different postal services, and they still got where they needed to be ...

You can't blame someone for sending their tool (even a classic, or one with sentimental value) in for service, you pay UPS (or any other company) for getting your package where it needs to be, if it gets lost during this process, they're the ones to blame.  Okay, maybe you could do the repair yourself, but then you'd need a replacement saw and the Loki wrenches, which you'd have to order and have them shipped to you, so either way, you would still depend on UPS (or any other company) to do their job right.

And I know that losing a replacement saw or a set of wrenches would not be as bad as losing your original Supertool, but still, it shouldn't happen.

Getting an ST300 as replacement is a nice gesture (the ST300 is one of my favorite Leatherman Tools), but if it was my Original Supertool that got lost, they could give me ten ST300's, I would still be very, VERY sad ...

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 01:42:07 PM

That seems rather expensive. I am surprised at why people use UPS to ship small packages or packages under 10 lbs. A USPS small flat-rate priority would have got to Oregon in 2-3 days with automatic $50 insurance.

The OST still show up in new condition on eBay once in a while. They are not hard to find. You will find a replacement piece to fondle again soon. Just keep an eye out for it  :tu:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 02:00:31 PM

That seems rather expensive. I am surprised at why people use UPS to ship small packages or packages under 10 lbs. A USPS small flat-rate priority would have got to Oregon in 2-3 days with automatic $50 insurance.

The OST still show up in new condition on eBay once in a while. They are not hard to find. You will find a replacement piece to fondle again soon. Just keep an eye out for it  :tu:

My local UPS store (good bit closer than post office) calculates cost and will defer to USPS if it's cheaper... I sent my Charge in in a UPS package carried by USPS as it was faster and cheaper.... I found it odd
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 07:04:52 PM
Dude, I would probably make a federal case out of this. Politely, but still. With modern tracking methods, it is very rare that a package truly gets lost.

Received a cell phone delivery last month and instead of the phone, the box had been opened, stuffed with UPS order forms, and 're-taped. UPS customer service tried to tell me that had happened at th phone company, like I was born last night.

UPS is experiencing some real growing pains lately. Call them every day. Take the new Super Tool, but demand they find the package. Be polite, and kick it up to the next higher supervisor every call.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 07:12:38 PM
 :facepalm:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 11:23:43 PM
Dude, I would probably make a federal case out of this. Politely, but still. With modern tracking methods, it is very rare that a package truly gets lost.

Received a cell phone delivery last month and instead of the phone, the box had been opened, stuffed with UPS order forms, and 're-taped. UPS customer service tried to tell me that had happened at th phone company, like I was born last night.

UPS is experiencing some real growing pains lately. Call them every day. Take the new Super Tool, but demand they find the package. Be polite, and kick it up to the next higher supervisor every call.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 11:29:48 PM

(Image removed from quote.)
Maybe they wanted to facilitate your next UPS order....
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 11:24:00 AM

Hey Alex,

We've had tools go around the world here, passed from one member to another, all different countries, all different postal services, and they still got where they needed to be ...

You can't blame someone for sending their tool (even a classic, or one with sentimental value) in for service, you pay UPS (or any other company) for getting your package where it needs to be, if it gets lost during this process, they're the ones to blame.  Okay, maybe you could do the repair yourself, but then you'd need a replacement saw and the Loki wrenches, which you'd have to order and have them shipped to you, so either way, you would still depend on UPS (or any other company) to do their job right.

And I know that losing a replacement saw or a set of wrenches would not be as bad as losing your original Supertool, but still, it shouldn't happen.

Getting an ST300 as replacement is a nice gesture (the ST300 is one of my favorite Leatherman Tools), but if it was my Original Supertool that got lost, they could give me ten ST300's, I would still be very, VERY sad ...

Ey, ey, ey...!

I don't blame anyone, I only give advice

If I appreciate a book, a car or a multitool I would try to avoid risks at all

Only this

P.s : and a rusted! , not even broken saw is easily fixed at home with proper tools.
Even for me that I am the worst handyman!

P.s. And sorry for your lost
I hope it will appear finally
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:25:21 AM by alexTOOL »

Offline lew

Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 12:09:08 PM

Hey Alex,

Ey, ey, ey...!

I don't blame anyone, I only give advice

If I appreciate a book, a car or a multitool I would try to avoid risks at all

Only this

P.s : and a rusted! , not even broken saw is easily fixed at home with proper tools.
Even for me that I am the worst handyman!

P.s. And sorry for your lost
I hope it will appear finally
I can handle a rusted file, but on this one, the teeth were completely rusted away and it wouldn't cut after 20 years in a drawer.  New file from Leatherman seemed to be the way to go.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 09:26:05 PM
It's terrible you can't send a packet without having to worry about it :rant:
It's happened a couple of times now mainly with the postal service in the uk

us Offline cody6268

Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 11:16:21 PM
Thursday, it's off to the USPS to file a lost item claim for two pocketknives I ordered. They arrived at the post office where the seller is located after pickup, and nothing happened since--in nearly a month.  I suspect someone lifted it at the post office.  Thankfully, neither were expensive, it was like $15 for both of them. 

Because you can never underestimate the incompetence of any postal service/courier, I always recommend insuring the contents. I insure every Leatherman I send to them on warranty for $50.

Basically, the only manufacturer that is a reasonable enough distance away so that I could drop off the item in person to is Taylor Brands, about two hours away from me, but their stuff is garbage, so I don't buy it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:28:19 PM by cody6268 »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 11:37:43 PM
I always worry when I post any item  :poh:
As I lost plenty in the post  :oops:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 11:41:48 PM
I've always had good luck with USPS. I've never used UPS for shipping small items like knives and MT's.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 01:48:53 AM
I've always had good luck with USPS. I've never used UPS for shipping small items like knives and MT's.
Others say that USPS is the worst for loosing things.  :shrug:

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 02:05:34 AM
That's annoying, imagine having to go around tightening everything up after them.  :rant:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 02:42:17 AM
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 09:40:08 AM
That's annoying, imagine having to go around tightening everything up after them.  :rant:
:facepalm: :bnghd:
I... dislike that mistake.

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 02:26:27 PM
I just sent something through the post and see they've increased costs of shipping to EU by 30-35% and tracking/signature service is exaggerated upgrade to base price now (hadn't sent anything through them since 2017)

they also charged me double for the envelope than they did last year   :twak:
so for the first time when sending to a friend I risked it and picked tracking-less and no signature required, to avoid paying double the item's cost on shipping it  :rant:

now I can only pray and wait hoping that it arrives to Belgium  :P
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 04:20:11 PM

Dude, how can you not see it?!
 :pok: :pok:

Show content

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline lew

Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 05:15:07 PM

Dude, how can you not see it?!
 :pok: :pok:

Show content

See what?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!