Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Shootout- Leatherman Skeletool vs SOG Reactor

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Shootout- Leatherman Skeletool vs SOG Reactor
Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 10:38:57 PM
Does SOG have IP on their geared compound pliers?  Seems compound pliers in general have been around long before SOG.  It would be cool to see Leatherman make a compound pliers tool.  A Surge with a compound pliers would be a beast!

There are many ways to make compound pliers. SOGs geared version is one of the compact sized ones though, and hence well suited for multitools.

The flip side is the doubled handle movement which makes the effective grip range of the plier (at least one handed) half of normal pliers. And I've noticed those tiny gears tend to poke me a bit if I just put it in my pocket. (I don't have the reactor though - just two of the others).

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:40:12 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 11:51:17 PM
Great review!  :like:

I like the compound leverage of Reactor but the assisted opening is a con very big to me.

Could it be possible to disassist the SOG Reactor??

Thanks Mr Lamontagne ;)

Helloooooooo!

Removing the spring (or at least attempting to) is my next project.   >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 12:37:35 AM
Great review!  :like:

I like the compound leverage of Reactor but the assisted opening is a con very big to me.

Could it be possible to disassist the SOG Reactor??

Thanks Mr Lamontagne ;)

Helloooooooo!

Removing the spring (or at least attempting to) is my next project.   >:D

Def

Coooool!!! :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 04:47:30 PM
Part 4- Screwdrivers

To me the screwdrivers are probably the most used part of a multitool, or at least are tied with the blade for most used, and therefore they deserve special attention.  Of course, as screwdrivers are part of the scope of this comparison, I imagine we were going to take a close look anyway….

Neither of these tools has on board, folding drivers as many tools do, and they both rely on replaceable bit drivers.  That’s about where the similarity ends, as they are very different setups.

The Reactor has a strange way of going about it- the double ended standard ¼” (6mm) hex bit spends most of it’s time in the end of the smaller of the two plier handles, however is not meant to be used from that position.  To use it, you have to pull the screwdriver bit out then insert it in the backside of the head of the Reactor when the handles are folded into the closed position.  This allows the Compound Leverage to grip the bit twice as hard as your hand is gripping it and allows you to put a lot of pressure on extremely stubborn screws. 

Of course, the draw back is that if you release the pressure on the handles the bit then becomes loose and potentially rotates, so you have to develop a bit of a technique to use it.

On the other hand, the Skeletool simply needs to be folded out as one double ended bit rides in the bit driver, and, assuming that is the bit you need, no further action is required.  And, the Skeletool has a second double ended bit riding along which means it has double the screwdriver options as the Reactor.  This would be a definite win for the Skeletool, except that it isn’t quite perfect either.

First and most obviously, the Skeletool uses Leatherman’s flattened bits, which I personally cannot stand.  These bits are fine as long as you have the proper bit loaded on board, but if you don’t, you can’t just grab a bit out of a toolbox or at a local shop.  There is a standard bit size for a reason, and Leatherman chose to ignore that standard.  The Reactor, as with all bit driver equipped SOG models, accepts standard bits.

The second issue with the Skeletool bit driver is seen in all the photos so far, although you may not have noticed it- I have a different, non standard issue set of bits in mine because at some point the double Phillips bit has fallen out of it and gotten lost.  With the open end of the Skeletool there is nothing to retain bits in it, and they go missing quite easily, which seriously negates the advantage of having multiples. 

Further, if you should leave a flathead bit in the driver end then it sticks out just enough when folded to draw blood from any unsuspecting bit of flesh that it comes in contact with- such as when you reach into the pocket it is clipped in to get some change or your keys.

And then there is the form of the tool- in order to use the screwdriver the handles have to be folded out, either at a 90 or 180 degree orientation to the rest of the tool.  This seems like it would be great to apply extra torque to a screw or get extra reach, but given the excess flex that results when tackling a resistive screw, I worry about permanently warping the Skeletool under hard use.

By comparison the Reactor can be used as hard as you want- the harder you grip it the harder you can use it.  While it may be a bit more inconvenient, overall I have to give this point to the Reactor.  Still, the Skeletool does have twice as many screwdriver functions as the Reactor, and that can’t be ignored.  I’ll score this one as a tie and award a point to both.

SCORE- SOG 4, Leatherman 2

After 4 events the SOG Reactor isn't looking like such a bad tool after all, is it?   :pok:

My personal preference on this one is the SOG because of the versatility of being able to use standard bits, which could come in handy for different types of screws or ones that are recessed, while you just kind of get what you get with the Skeletool.  I really hate those flat bits.   :facepalm:

But, fair is fair, and the Skeletool does have twice as many screwdriver bits on board as the Reactor, and Leatherman deserves recognition for that.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 05:18:59 PM
I am not keen on the LM flat bits holder as it doesn't look
Like it can handle much force  :think:
I do like the how the SOG holds the hex bits
And the more you grip the handles the more it holds on  :like:
That's a very good feature
So far I still like the SOG Reactor better
Look forward to part 5 :popcorn:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: February 20, 2018, 05:44:31 PM
Extremely well organized and informative comparison.

Thanks Grant.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline mcb

Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 05:59:54 PM
I don't love Leatherman's propitiatory bits much, especially since they won't sell individual bits.  If I could buy individual bits as needed (I wear out #2 Philips frequently) I would not mind the flat bits one bit (pun intended  :D) since it makes the tools thinner and thinner is critical to comfortable pocket carry IMHO.

So as much as I like the idea of using standard 1/4" hex bits I am afraid I hate the Reactors bit system.  The storage location hurts no matter which way you store the bit when trying to use the pliers with any real force.  It is a pain to use if you have to get into anything remotely close to a confined space around a screw.    The need to squeeze the pliers or the bit slips is again a pain in some positions or again in tight use locations.  The Skeletool as a screw driver has reach when unfolded and torque when used bent at 90 and no requirement to squeeze to utilize max torque.

I have after many years of carrying a Skeletool lost one bit, not from the bit holder itself but from the storage location on the handled (a location that does not hurt my hand in pliers mode).  A quick pinch of the retaining strap with my Surge and I have never lost a bit again.  The Reactor bit has ended up loose in my pocket more than once and I only carried it a few weeks before I went back to my Skeletool.  I have no confidence that the Reactor will retain bits any better than a Skeletool, if not worst.

With the way I use my multi-tools I would have given the screw driver point strongly to the Skeletool, despite the propitiatory bits used.  The Reactors screw driver was a real let down IMHO despite my excitement for standard 1/4" hex bits.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: February 20, 2018, 06:09:00 PM
Nice to hear other members giving there opinion  :tu: :like: :like:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 20, 2018, 07:42:56 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
With the open end of the Skeletool there is nothing to retain bits in it, and they go missing quite easily, which seriously negates the advantage of having multiples.
Funny, mine has a clip which keeps them in. :pok:  I would be more worried about them falling out of the storage in the handle as has happened to mcb.
Also, many of us find the screwdriver less awkward to use if the pliers are folded into the 'front' half of the Skele - creates more of a straight line to rotate around  :think: (Kampfer has a good pic somewhere).
I can imagine the Reactor may not be able to reach some screws in tight spaces.
If you're using phillips the most, the convenience is you don't need to take the bit out like you do with the Reactor. I would try to avoid storing the flathead in the driver for the reasons you have mentioned.
Of course you can use standard bits with the bit extender but that wouldn't be comparing apples to apples.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:58:36 PM by Syncop8r »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: February 20, 2018, 11:04:33 PM
I went back through the thread and scored it myself. I call it 3-3, a tie.

If we had the data, I think the durability round would decide the contest for me.

Nice write-up, Def.   :tu:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 05:25:15 AM
With the open end of the Skeletool there is nothing to retain bits in it, and they go missing quite easily, which seriously negates the advantage of having multiples.

Also, many of us find the screwdriver less awkward to use if the pliers are folded into the 'front' half of the Skele - creates more of a straight line to rotate around  :think: (Kampfer has a good pic somewhere).
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 05:28:21 AM
Skeletool is Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Series 800's standard issue breaching tool.
No way the reactor is that cool, matter of fact the Reactor isn't even reacting anymore only after two short years of production. It might sounds great and beats Skeletool on paper, but five minutes in hand I call it quit. The tool just feel cheap in hands, very weak liner lock, uncounterable amount of hotspots in knife, pliers and driver mode.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:27:23 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 08:11:45 AM
Skeletool is Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Series 800's standard issue breaching tool.
No way the reactor is that cool, matter of fact the Reactor isn't even reacting anymore only after two short years.

:o.   :like:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #43 on: February 21, 2018, 11:28:03 AM
No way the reactor is that cool, matter of fact the Reactor isn't even reacting anymore only after two short years.

:o.   :like:
+1!  :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #44 on: February 21, 2018, 03:03:16 PM
No way the reactor is that cool, matter of fact the Reactor isn't even reacting anymore only after two short years of production. It might sounds great and beats Skeletool on paper, but five minutes in hand I call it quit. The tool just feel cheap in hands, very weak liner lock, uncounterable amount of hotspots in knife, pliers and driver mode.

can't argue with a Skeletool-wieding T800.  :ahhh
Skele wins hands down   :to:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: February 21, 2018, 04:38:47 PM
The bit holder on my CX "locks" the bit in place.  I have to press the lock to insert and remove bits.  While I can agree standard bits would have been a complete win for LM I don't dislike the flat bits.   I have never had one not perform for me.  I stow the Philips bit in mine and there is no protrusion which could cause any cut or pinch.  I also checked with the include flat blade bit.  My flat blade bit doesn't protrude like the one pictured.  I do like the bit storage which like mentioned gives 2 more options.  While I haven't pushed my Skeleltools bit holder I have with my Wave and so far so good.   I'm not sure having to "learn" a technique to use a driver is for me.  While small I just want to turn a screw and be done.  The great potential is the SOG appearing to totally win at turning stubborn screws.  I like not pausing thinking to myself ( will the bit holder withstand this ).  I've not actually had that happen but still.   

Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: February 21, 2018, 04:52:20 PM
Part 5- Bottle Opener

I don’t even know if there is a comparison needed here- this one is as open and shut as it can possibly get, and the Skeletool absolutely kills the Reactor on this one.  But, since I am dragging this out into a serial, let’s get into why.

First off, there is no prep needed for the Skeletool.  If you have it in your hand, chances are it is ready to cleanly snap the top off a bottle.  The carabiner end is not only an excellent and effective bottle opener, it is also a carabiner and lanyard hole, adding extra function to the bottle opener.

By comparison the bottle opener on the Reactor is quite lacking, being a small fold out hook that seems like it was thrown in as an afterthought.  It also features a lanyard ring but suffers from being very difficult to pull out when needed.  Maybe some out there are looser than mine, but I can’t comment on things I have not experienced myself.  And, being one small point of contact on a cap means it won’t lift nearly as smoothly as the Skeletool’s bottle opener would.

But, this is Multitool.org and we are famous for finding the good and bad in everything, except of course Schrade, which is absolute monkey crap through and through.  In light of that (the finding good thing, not the Schrade thing) here is the one way in which the SOG Reactor bottle opener is better than the Skeletool’s:

It is compact. 

As we have seen from the Freestyle the Skeletool is a perfectly functional tool with a carabiner stuck on the end making it quite large for what is supposed to be a compact tool.  In fact, we awarded a point in Part 1 to SOG for just that reason.  While the Reactor’s bottle opener may not be as effective as the Skeleool’s, it is at least a heck of a lot smaller and doesn’t impact the use of the rest of the tool in any way.

But, that’s not enough to take this point away from Leatherman, and the Skeletool moves up another notch.

SCORE- SOG 4, Leatherman 3

Def

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: February 21, 2018, 04:52:49 PM
I still worry about the flat bit holder it's on a small size pivot screw
So I can't see it lasting long on heavy duty screws ( stubborn screws)
Something is going to give at some point  :think: :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: February 21, 2018, 10:36:12 PM
Thanks Def for "testing" the bottle opener.
It seems more important on this side of the pond  (no screw caps here)  :cheers:

But does the SOG one work ok?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: February 22, 2018, 04:10:32 PM
It seems more important on this side of the pond  (no screw caps here)  :cheers:

If you are opening a few beverages at a time it is more than adequate.  If you are a professional bartender in a fancy disco and open hundreds of bottles every hour then I suggest getting a better bottle opener than either the Skeletool or the Reactor.  :P

The Skeletool pulls the cap off the bottle first time, every time.  The Reactor may get first pull every time with some practice, but I'd say at least half the time you will need to do two lifts per cap.  The Reactor is functional enough, but not even close to ideal, but I suppose that could be said about just about any function on just about any multitool.

Def

us Offline mcb

Reply #50 on: February 22, 2018, 04:53:07 PM

I have been using my Skeletool for many years now.  I have worn out two going on three #2 Philips bits getting after some stubborn and stuck screws with it over the years and my pliers joints are still very tight.  It may look delicate but the hinge joint at the pliers have proven to be very robust in my experience.  YMMV

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: February 22, 2018, 05:00:08 PM

I have been using my Skeletool for many years now.  I have worn out two going on three #2 Philips bits getting after some stubborn and stuck screws with it over the years and my pliers joints are still very tight.  It may look delicate but the hinge joint at the pliers have proven to be very robust in my experience.  YMMV

That's great mcb  :tu: :like:
That sounds good makes me more at ease  :salute:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: February 22, 2018, 05:12:48 PM

If you are opening a few beverages at a time it is more than adequate.  If you are a professional bartender in a fancy disco and open hundreds of bottles every hour then I suggest getting a better bottle opener than either the Skeletool or the Reactor.  :P

The Skeletool pulls the cap off the bottle first time, every time.  The Reactor may get first pull every time with some practice, but I'd say at least half the time you will need to do two lifts per cap.  The Reactor is functional enough, but not even close to ideal, but I suppose that could be said about just about any function on just about any multitool.

Def

Thanks Grant for your feedback  :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: February 23, 2018, 04:15:17 PM
as a side note,

I think the Skele should get some points for having a second carry method via carabiner, as I've hung it from the belt loops more than once in some less than ideal situations. Alo applicable to MOLLEs, backpacks and other packs/bags  :salute:

But the Reactor should also have some reward for having a blade without holes in it.  I've had stuff getting inside my Skele's holes more than once, resulting in gunk and evn rust (yeah I forgot to see the dirt and wash it out of the hole for some time) when delaying the cleaning.  :facepalm:
Also, the Skele's holes and alien looking curves allow for much pocket lint and dust to fill those voids, I don't know how the Reactor's construction would fare with that   :think:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: February 23, 2018, 04:24:20 PM
Funny you should mention Carry Methods, as that is the subject of Part 6 of this series, and the second last installment!

Part 6- Carry Methods

Another big strength of the Skeleool is its versatility in carry- it can be clipped onto a pack or other equipment or clipped to a pocket using the pocket clip.  Conversely the Reactor can really only be carried clipped to a pocket

Comparing pocket clip to pocket clip to keep them on an even playing field, the Skeletool pocket clip is longer than the one on the Reactor, and generally that translates to a more secure hold in the pocket.  However, the Reactor pocket clip allows the Reactor to ride much lower in your pocket, and the fact that it is shorter is offset by the fact that the tool itself is shorter.

Instead on this one I think I am going to call it a draw, as the clip is far better on the Reactor than the one on the Skeletool, but the Skeletool offers us twice as many carry options, both of which are highly effective.

Like I did with the screwdrivers, I think I am going to have to rule this one a tie, not because they are the same, but because the Reactor is superior, but the range of options provided by the Skeletool is undeniable.

SCORE- SOG 5, Leatherman 4

There's one event left and so far SOG has maintained the lead!  Will they keep it?  Will Leatherman tie it up?  Only one way to find out!  Tune in tomorrow for the finale- same multitool time, same multitool channel!  :D

Def

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: February 23, 2018, 04:42:23 PM
Nice write up look forward to tomorrow  :tu: :popcorn:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: February 24, 2018, 12:31:57 PM
 :popcorn:
My toys:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: February 24, 2018, 02:20:24 PM
Not that I would buy one of these...  :popcorn:

br Offline MaverickMCS

Reply #58 on: February 27, 2018, 09:27:04 AM
Waiting for the last post!  :) :popcorn:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: February 27, 2018, 01:40:00 PM
Sorry, I got distracted by some other stuff... more on that later....  >:D

I will get the last part posted shortly.   :tu:

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%