Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Wave + and new Nylon sheath (pic heavy !!)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Leatherman Wave + and new Nylon sheath (pic heavy !!)
on: February 15, 2018, 11:59:45 PM
I just couldn't resist ...  :surrender:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman Wave + and new Nylon sheath (pic heavy !!)
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 12:03:25 AM
Nice ! How do you like the new Sheath ?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 12:03:56 AM
Pics are taken indoors with my smartphone ...  ::)  I hope I can take some better pics tomorrow  ;).

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 12:08:06 AM
 :like: :tu:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 12:17:14 AM
Nice ! How do you like the new Sheath ?

It feels "small" compaired to the old Nylon sheath ...

I just put them next to each other and the new one is a bit smaller than the old, but not very much ...  When I held it in my hand the first time I thought it felt a lot smaller than it does, weird enough.  Then new sheath is the one without the side pockets, so maybe that's why it feels so thin  :think:.

It does feel well made, and I love the snap button.  I also love the fact that you can't feel the snap button on the inside of the sheath, the sides from the sheath are made of one piece of nylon on which the thicker front nylon flap (with the snap button) is stitched (I hope I'm making sense  :-[).  So the snap button does not make contact with the tool.

The belt loop is attached quite low on the back of the sheath, so I'm affraid it's going to sit a bit high on the belt ...  But I haven't put it on my belt yet so I can't really confirm this.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 12:33:28 AM
Thanks for showing us. The pics are good.

I love the snap button and that it's not scratching the tool on the inside.

Is horizontal carry possible?

:cheers:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 12:39:55 AM
One question, are the OHO holes on the two blades as sharp as I've seen reported elsewhere?

Otherwise I do like the sheath  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 01:01:32 AM
And the Wave + itself, well ...  ::)

I must say that his one looks like a Leatherman from 15 years ago.  Not one thing wrong with it (okay, there was one thing, one of the screws from the replaceable wire cutters wasn't screwed in deep enough, and it touched the handles when closing the tool, but this was fixed in two seconds and with two twists of the wrist  ;)).

But the rest of the tool feels just perfect, nothing rubbing, nothing too loose or too tight, handles perfectly aligned (the tool lies perfectly flat on the table, not like most Spirits  :pok:). And every part of the tool, inside and outside feels just perfect.  This Wave + is possibly the Leatherman with the best fit and finish since, dare I say ... My original Supertool  :D

Okay, my Charges (date codes 0808), my previous Wave (date code 0111) and the two 25th Anniversary Waves (date codes 0408) I recently bought also had great fit and finish, maybe the Wave/Charge platform is just Leatherman's A-game.  I must say, all of my previous Wave/Charge tools had the pliers rubbing against the handles while closing the tool, scratching up the plier head along the way, the new Wave + (at least the one I own  :P) does not seem to have this "problem".  This is not a big thing, since it's a tool and pliers are bound to get scratched up during use, but still, I hope this means that Leatherman have stepped up their game, and that their QC issues have been dealt with ...  If not, I guess I should just be happy that I was one of the lucky ones this time ...   ;)

P.S.: I also bought it because this one doens't have the "+" on the handles (yet ?).  If the next batch comes out and those have Wave + on the handles, I will be very happy that I got one of the first batch (collectors ...  ::)).

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 01:03:37 AM
Thanks for showing us. The pics are good.

I love the snap button and that it's not scratching the tool on the inside.

Is horizontal carry possible?

:cheers:
You're welcome mate  :salute:.

Nope, no horizontal carry with this sheath  :-\.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 01:12:35 AM
One question, are the OHO holes on the two blades as sharp as I've seen reported elsewhere?

Just checked the OHO holes on my 0111 Wave and on one of my 0808 Charge AL's and compaired them with the Wave +, and the OHO on the PE blade feels exactly the same as on the old ones, the OHO hole on the serrated blade is sharper than on the old ones, but not nearly sharp enough to cut yourself with it (like one of the youtube reviewers I saw claimed), and it offers quite a good bite to open the serrated blade, while the less sharp OHO on my 0808 Charge sometimes let my finger slip out of the hole while deploying the knife.

So maybe they're a bit sharper, but not so sharp that it becomes a problem (not on my Wave + anyway  ;)).

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 01:14:55 AM

Just checked the OHO holes on my 0111 Wave and on one of my 0808 Charge AL's and compaired them with the Wave +, and the OHO on the PE blade feels exactly the same as on the old ones, the OHO hole on the serrated blade is sharper than on the old ones, but not nearly sharp enough to cut yourself with it (like one of the youtube reviewers I saw claimed), and it offers quite a good bite to open the serrated blade, while the less sharp OHO on my 0808 Charge sometimes let my finger slip out of the hole while deploying the knife.

So maybe they're a bit sharper, but not so sharp that it becomes a problem (not on my Wave + anyway  ;)).

OK good to know  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 01:24:23 AM
One more thing, the new sheath has no internal pocket to store the bit holder in, and I've tried to put the bit holder next to the Wave but then I can't seem to close the snap button anymore.  Maybe the new sheath with side pockets is a bit wider so it can also hold the bit holder  :think:.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 03:04:20 AM
Very nice pics as always TG :dd: :like: Glad you got one and the QC was great for you :salute: :like:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 03:06:27 AM
Congrats and enjoy your tool!
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 09:57:35 AM
 :ahhh   :ahhh   :like:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 10:12:49 AM
Where did you upload the photos? My browser does not show any :(

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 08:13:17 PM
Where did you upload the photos? My browser does not show any :(

Looks like imgur, that's not a problem.
But they're quite big. I see them at home with good broadband, but not via mobile 3G.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 08:18:10 PM
P.S.: I also bought it because this one doens't have the "+" on the handles (yet ?).  If the next batch comes out and those have Wave + on the handles, I will be very happy that I got one of the first batch (collectors ...  ::)).

All one would need to do is to mod a + head to a standard Wave. :think:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 08:25:57 PM
Did someone say Spirit??
:whistle:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 08:48:00 PM
No.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 08:50:36 PM

All one would need to do is to mod a + head to a standard Wave. :think:

Yes, but that would be cheating ...  :twak:

;)

Are there "regular Wave" handles with the new date codes, I mean did the new style of date codes come with the Wave +, or did they already switch to this style on the previous Wave ?  Makes me wonder, are there "regular Waves" with the same date code as the new Wave + ? 

My Wave + has date codes 110217 and 110317 in the handles, are there "regular Waves" (I keep calling the previous Wave the "regular Wave", since I can't call it "old Wave" ...  ::)).

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 09:21:30 PM
They were already using the new date codes. My new Wave is dated 60517  60917

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 10:46:48 PM
Do the new style plier heads have the crimper on the base of them?
"

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #23 on: February 16, 2018, 11:00:49 PM
Yes.  You can (just about) see it over on the left of Top-Gear-24's photo:

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 11:09:09 PM
Yes.  You can (just about) see it over on the left of Top-Gear-24's photo:
(Image removed from quote.)
Ah I missed that's. Thanks.
"

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 05:51:07 AM
I am really happy that they did keep the rounded plier head vs. the squared off Rebar. This seems to be the best of both worlds with the addition of replaceable cutters. I thought for sure they were just gonna use the rebar head.

This is good news. Thanks for the pics
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

za Offline EZrider

Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 12:03:08 PM

I must say that his one looks like a Leatherman from 15 years ago.  Not one thing wrong with it (okay, there was one thing, one of the screws from the replaceable wire cutters wasn't screwed in deep enough, and it touched the handles when closing the tool, but this was fixed in two seconds and with two twists of the wrist  ;)).

But the rest of the tool feels just perfect, nothing rubbing, nothing too loose or too tight, handles perfectly aligned (the tool lies perfectly flat on the table, not like most Spirits  :pok:). And every part of the tool, inside and outside feels just perfect.  This Wave + is possibly the Leatherman with the best fit and finish since, dare I say ... My original Supertool  :D

Okay, my Charges (date codes 0808), my previous Wave (date code 0111) and the two 25th Anniversary Waves (date codes 0408) I recently bought also had great fit and finish, maybe the Wave/Charge platform is just Leatherman's A-game.  I must say, all of my previous Wave/Charge tools had the pliers rubbing against the handles while closing the tool, scratching up the plier head along the way, the new Wave + (at least the one I own  :P) does not seem to have this "problem".  This is not a big thing, since it's a tool and pliers are bound to get scratched up during use, but still, I hope this means that Leatherman have stepped up their game, and that their QC issues have been dealt with ...  If not, I guess I should just be happy that I was one of the lucky ones this time ...   ;)

Congratulations and nice write up TG.
Glad to hear the quality is good on these  :tu:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 03:32:01 PM

Congratulations and nice write up TG.
Glad to hear the quality is good on these  :tu:

I hope it's the same for all the Wave + 's, since I can only say that mine was perfect  :tu:.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 03:34:49 PM
I am really happy that they did keep the rounded plier head vs. the squared off Rebar. This seems to be the best of both worlds with the addition of replaceable cutters. I thought for sure they were just gonna use the rebar head.

This is good news. Thanks for the pics

Happy you liked the pics (I've got more of them coming up  ;)).

And yes, I'm also glad the didn't just put the Rebar plierhead in the Wave, this one looks real nice ... (I just hope they hold up well, since they're quite thin on one point, but I guess the people at Leatherman know what they're doing  ;)).

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 04:51:27 PM
I just couldn't resist ...  :surrender:

I like that a lot better than the velcro sheathes.

Thanks for posting the pictures. :like: :tu: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD