Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sending SAKs or multitools EU->US

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Sending SAKs or multitools EU->US
on: February 18, 2018, 04:14:02 PM
Hey all,

Surely someone must have some experience with sending SAKs and multitools over the pond, westwards. I need to send over two Pioneers, separately.

Anything I need to watch out for, such as:
  • is it legal to do so?
  • any customs regs I need to abide by? Up to which value is a tool likely to fly under the radar?
  • any packing tips: big box or rather bubble wrap in an envelope?
  • any specific formatting of the address, or things that must, should, or definitely should not be written on the package?
  • any other tips?

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Sending SAKs or multitools EU->US
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 04:23:16 PM
Mark them as 'camping tools' and Bung a low value on them. I've sent many saks abroad from the UK bubble wrapped in padded envelopes has been successful so far.   :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 04:25:20 PM
I will let you know when my new blue px turns
Up from Germany  :think:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 04:44:49 PM

• is it legal to do so?
  Yes. No issues sending MT's or Knives to the USA.

• any customs regs I need to abide by? Up to which value is a tool likely to fly under the radar?
Your shipping agent will have the appropriate customs forms. I don't know about the specifics. Gifts less than $100 are generally not charged any duties. Alcohol & tobacco get special duties. Obviously organic food stuffs are subject to restrictions, I wouldn't send any food stuffs with other durable goods.

If something is slim, I regularly send it in a bubble envelope. Bigger stuff I put in some kind of packaging and a box. But I've sent small knives through the mail in a padded envelope without a problem. Sometimes adding a little extra wrapping to prevent damage to the item or the envelope.

• any specific formatting of the address, or things that must, should, or definitely should not be written on the package?
US addresses follow a systematic format:

First name Last Name (John Doe)
P.O. Box number (PO box 100) [if applicable, not everyone has a PO box]
Street/House Address (100 Main Street) then Apartment Number (Apt 10 or Unit 2) [if applicable]
City/Town (Happyville), State (Alaska or AK)
Zip code/postal code (01001)
USA

Do NOT write "Drugs" "Bomb" or "Biohazard" on the outside. That would be bad.
Do put your return address on the parcel.

• any other tips?
Nah, it ain't hard. I now write "pocket knife" or "camp knife" in the customs description. If you are sending parts, I'd label them "tool repair parts". I once had a seller ship me a knife from Canada, he labelled it "bicycle parts". I think that's a bad idea. If a package gets scanned (and they all seem to now) and the scan doesn't match the description, that might get a customs agent curious enough to open the parcel. So I try to be accurate, but not interesting. I wouldn't label a parcel "COOLEST ever pocket knife. RARE, RARE, RARE!" But "Pocket knife" should fly through.

[/list]

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 04:53:48 PM
Nice bit of information  :like:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 05:21:15 PM
    • any other tips?
    Nah, it ain't hard. I now write "pocket knife" or "camp knife" in the customs description. If you are sending parts, I'd label them "tool repair parts". I once had a seller ship me a knife from Canada, he labelled it "bicycle parts". I think that's a bad idea. If a package gets scanned (and they all seem to now) and the scan doesn't match the description, that might get a customs agent curious enough to open the parcel. So I try to be accurate, but not interesting. I wouldn't label a parcel "COOLEST ever pocket knife. RARE, RARE, RARE!" But "Pocket knife" should fly through.

[/list]

Correct! I agree hundred percent - that's such a moronic thing to do as they frequently get opened at customs... which isn't a big deal if it's all above board etc...
    Like Mags said, mark them as camping tool or pocket tool, which I think is a fair description and yet won't alarm the airlines carrying it - it's the airlines not customs that have the biggest problem with sharp objects and knives.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:26:22 PM by Fuzzbucket »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
    • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
    Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 06:47:23 PM
    in my country you cannot ship anything with a battery in it (Consoles, Lasers, Flashlights...), only the thing without power source, either ship out or in of the country.
    if they catch a battery of any kind through the scan they confiscate the package and even destroy (dispose of) it :P  if you're unlucky

I don't know if that applies here too  :think:
    My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
    Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 06:53:09 PM
    I sent ”tools” all over the world without any issue.
    A knife is a tool, a hammer is a tool. No one cares.
    EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
    Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 07:01:28 PM
    That's handy to know
    I always worry with knives  :like:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 07:22:16 PM
    in my country you cannot ship anything with a battery in it (Consoles, Lasers, Flashlights...), only the thing without power source, either ship out or in of the country.
    if they catch a battery of any kind through the scan they confiscate the package and even destroy (dispose of) it :P  if you're unlucky

Same here, again it's because of the airlines carrying the mail.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 10:03:26 PM
    Here's the US Postal Service regs on what can't be shipped.

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

I've received and sent knives to and from Europe with few problems. One knife from Denmark did vanish into a black hole over the North Atlantic.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
    Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 10:50:44 PM

In Spain I was told that Weapons Regulations forbides sending knives by MAIL (CORREOS), except for cutlery shops. Private people can not send knives (Not apply for folding knives, only fixed blades).
    COURIER COMPANIES YES are authorized to send knives neverthless

Have a look:

https://www.armas.es/foros/armas-blancas-arcos-y-ballestas/atencion-con-correos-y-los-envios-de-cuchillos-1006195

Se pone en su conocimiento que realizado control de escaner, se detecta un paquete que contiene un machete tipo militar, dicho paquete debe ser devuelto al remitente, al no poder circular por correo postal al estar prohibida su circulación. RD. 137/1993.

Lo que me han dicho en correo que las tiendas si que pueden enviar por correo estos productos cuando son de origen comercial de un establecimiento pero particulares no.

https://www.google.es/search?q=mandar+cuchillos+correo+prohibido&oq=mandar+cuchillos+correo+prohibido&aqs=chrome..69i57.9251j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:56:57 PM by alexTOOL »

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
    Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 08:45:34 AM
    In the past couple of years I have sent somewhere between 50 to 100 knives to different countries all over the globe and never lost one. I always write "pocket tool" on the customs label. I think that's the most accurate description when you want to avoid the word "knife". I have never had any trouble with shipping to the US, I think at least a third of what I have shipped was to the US.

In Spain I was told that Weapons Regulations forbides sending knives by MAIL (CORREOS), except for cutlery shops. Private people can not send knives (Not apply for folding knives, only fixed blades).
    COURIER COMPANIES YES are authorized to send knives neverthless

I think I have sent about 10 knives to Spain in the past years, never had any issue.
    [--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
    Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 08:48:54 AM
    OK, thanks to all for the info :tu::cheers:
    Cheers!
    Dutch_Tooler

us Offline LJUSMC

• LJUSMC on USN, WUS, EDCF
    Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 09:24:51 AM

• is it legal to do so?
        Yes. No issues sending MT's or Knives to the USA.

Your shipping agent will have the appropriate customs forms. I don't know about the specifics. Gifts less than $100 are generally not charged any duties. Alcohol & tobacco get special duties. Obviously organic food stuffs are subject to restrictions, I wouldn't send any food stuffs with other durable goods.

If something is slim, I regularly send it in a bubble envelope. Bigger stuff I put in some kind of packaging and a box. But I've sent small knives through the mail in a padded envelope without a problem. Sometimes adding a little extra wrapping to prevent damage to the item or the envelope.

US addresses follow a systematic format:

First name Last Name (John Doe)
      P.O. Box number (PO box 100) [if applicable, not everyone has a PO box]
      Street/House Address (100 Main Street) then Apartment Number (Apt 10 or Unit 2) [if applicable]
      City/Town (Happyville), State (Alaska or AK)
      Zip code/postal code (01001)
      USA

Do NOT write "Drugs" "Bomb" or "Biohazard" on the outside. That would be bad.
      Do put your return address on the parcel.

• any other tips?

[/list]

^^^ everything he said is spot on. Don’t try to be misleading on the customs slip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it screwed you.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
      Donate with PayPal!
      April Goal: $300.00
      Due Date: Apr 30
      Total Receipts: $152.99
      PayPal Fees: $8.68
      Net Balance: $144.31
      Below Goal: $155.69
      Site Currency: USD
      48%