Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Canada - notice of detention

ca Offline jcs0001

Canada - notice of detention
on: February 18, 2018, 11:24:26 PM
I ordered a Sanrenmu/Land 910 knife from Fasttech around Christmas.  I have brought in about 5 knives from them over the last 4 years or more so I'm not much of an importer.

Last week I received a one page "notice of Detention" (addressed to the wrong address by one number and fortunately recognized by the postal delivery lady).  It looks like a neighbour received it and put it back in the mail box with "Moved" scrawled across it.

The notice advised very briefly that a folding knife was detained under section 101 of the Customs Act and that the goods cannot be imported into Canada until a CBSA officer is satisfied that they comply with the Customs Act etc. etc.  Further to that it advised that due to the volume of files it may take 6 to 8 weeks to process the file.  It also advised that I was "required to contact the following address concerning the requirements that have to be met".

I sent in a letter immediately outlining the features of the knife in question.  I pointed out that as far as I know there was nothing about said knife that violated federal law.

My suspicion is that they will look at it as a "gravity" or "centrifugal force" opening knife.  I can think of nothing else that would be a concern.  Sanrenmu has a great reputation for making high quality knives and I cannot see that they would leave the pivot so loose as to allow it to open by flicking it.  Maybe customs has an agent with 15 in. wrists who is specifically tasked with checking knives for "gravity" opening.  :D

Anyway this is a heads up to those who may end up in the same boat.  I will advise as I receive updates.

John.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: Canada - notice of detention
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 11:27:57 PM
Wow I bet that was a bit of a shock  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
fail to prepare prepare to fail

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 11:38:27 PM
Ah crap, I had a feeling this type of thing was going to happen!!!  :ahhh

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:51:58 PM
Sorry for your troubles. That is an unnecessary hassle. Hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction!   :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 12:22:36 AM
Keep us posted when you now the outcome  :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 07:16:43 AM
From the thread title I assumed Grant got arrested....

It seems like a random check , that happens everywhere.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 09:24:18 AM
Sorry for your troubles. That is an unnecessary hassle. Hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction!   :cheers:

+1.  Good luck.
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 02:07:34 PM
I'm sorry for that...since the CBSA adopted the new rules it was a matter of time,
and I am afraid a more common thing to happen in the future.

Hopefully they won't want hassle and paperwork from an inexpensive single knife bought by a law abiding citizen,  :P
best of luck!!   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 02:11:04 PM

+1

:salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 02:11:23 PM
Keep us posted when you now the outcome  :tu:

+1

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 02:20:13 PM
I had a phone call from uk customs last month
It was a recorded message
But it straight away started going on about taking me to court
And all it was is that I owed a small amount for import tax
So before I could have my parcel I had to pay for that first :rofl:
It's just stupid that the first thing they say is taking you to court, WHY?  :rant:

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 02:28:26 PM
It's just stupid that the first thing they say is taking you to court, WHY?  :rant:

Well, maybe they're just trying to be courteous?...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 02:31:11 PM

Well, maybe they're just trying to be courteous?...

:whistle:
Yes I like that  :rofl: :rofl:

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 02:35:18 PM
I will definitely update this thread as I hear more.  It was a bit of a surprise as I had been looking forward to receiving the knife.

John.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 02:40:43 PM
I will definitely update this thread as I hear more.  It was a bit of a surprise as I had been looking forward to receiving the knife.

John.
I feel for you  :tu:
I hope it all works out for you  :tu:
I will keep my fingers crossed for you  :tu:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 03:13:47 PM
Sorry to hear this as a fellow Canadian, looks like the Genie is out of the bottle :(

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 11:57:22 PM
Here is more info:

http://multitool.org/news/concerns-about-canadian-international-trade-tribunal-decision-on-centrifugal-opening-knives

And:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75408.0.html

I am in contact with a number of organizations in Canada and the US and we are attempting to combat this notion before it gets too far.  I don't yet have any details to share, but we are on it.  In the meantime I highly recommend contacting your Member of Parliament and let them know that you don't feel that this ruling is within the spirit of the existing laws.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 12:53:39 AM
I will check the links you provided Grant.  Actually my reading of this is that they have yet to make a ruling.  I'm not that optimistic but so far so good.

Thanks,

John.

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 12:59:07 AM
I just read the info provided.  Did not realize it had gone so far and it does seem very arbitrary to me.  It also seems that any assisted opening knives (which I understand are legal in Canada) would fail the second test for sure.

This does make me wonder how retailers are getting knives from overseas for resale if Customs won't allow them in?

John.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 02:13:56 AM

Man comes up to you, says "Nice house. Nice family. Your's? Be a real shame if something bad happened."

Odds are better that he's with the government rather than the mob. But really, a protection racket is a protection racket no matter who it comes from.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 02:28:28 AM
I just read the info provided.  Did not realize it had gone so far and it does seem very arbitrary to me.  It also seems that any assisted opening knives (which I understand are legal in Canada) would fail the second test for sure.

This does make me wonder how retailers are getting knives from overseas for resale if Customs won't allow them in?

John.

Ya good question eh.  Ive bought SOG flick open knives from a bass pro store here.  Im sure I can find some smurfty knife in Canadian tire I can flick open too. Seems like they want alot more work at the border, must be in a union and trying to negotiate.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 05:52:27 PM
As I said I'm not very optimistic about the outcome of this but in the meantime it's likely wise to not speculate about the situation.  Maybe common sense will prevail with those involved (customs) and it will just mean a delay.  In any event I am thankful that the cost wasn't too high.

John.

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 05:55:44 PM

Man comes up to you, says "Nice house. Nice family. Your's? Be a real shame if something bad happened."

Odds are better that he's with the government rather than the mob. But really, a protection racket is a protection racket no matter who it comes from.

Yeah, I know wha' you' say'n, gov'ner...

Show content

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 04:25:54 PM
this seems to be having an effect, judging by other forum's new threads about it   :P
and also,

From Blades Canada:

"Unfortunately we have started to be affected by the new restrictions of importation, and we have had to raise our prices across the board in order to preserve our inventory. We understand this is frustrating, as we have worked tirelessly for years to bring you the largest selection and lowest prices in the country. We value our customers very much, and hope that you understand this was a necessary step that we had no choice but to take.

It's all in the early stages so we don't have further information on on what we will be able to bring at this point in time. Please note that the laws within canada have not changed and you can continue to purchase what we have should you choose to
."

maybe good for knife nuts, the CTV News made a small report on this the other day...and SOG, Spyderco and others got some free advertising!  :D

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1331138
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 04:45:45 PM
this seems to be having an effect, judging by other forum's new threads about it   :P
and also,

From Blades Canada:

"Unfortunately we have started to be affected by the new restrictions of importation, and we have had to raise our prices across the board in order to preserve our inventory. We understand this is frustrating, as we have worked tirelessly for years to bring you the largest selection and lowest prices in the country. We value our customers very much, and hope that you understand this was a necessary step that we had no choice but to take.

It's all in the early stages so we don't have further information on on what we will be able to bring at this point in time. Please note that the laws within canada have not changed and you can continue to purchase what we have should you choose to
."

maybe good for knife nuts, the CTV News made a small report on this the other day...and SOG, Spyderco and others got some free advertising!  :D

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1331138

Actually, quite a good report. Well done CTV News! The whole thing is just insane.  :(

Thanks for sharing TP!  :salute:

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 05:36:04 PM
Like the lady said (and we should repeat ad nauseam until people get it) "knives are tools"!

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 11:24:14 PM
The PeaCent - thanks for bringing that to my (our) attention.  I also found quite a bit more information online with a quick search.  Looks like this was instituted last month.  It does appear that individuals and importers/wholesalers/retailers are being treated equally. 

John.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 12:07:02 AM
From Blades Canada:

"Unfortunately we have started to be affected by the new restrictions of importation, and we have had to raise our prices across the board in order to preserve our inventory. We understand this is frustrating, as we have worked tirelessly for years to bring you the largest selection and lowest prices in the country. We value our customers very much, and hope that you understand this was a necessary step that we had no choice but to take. ."

To me it looks like they are using this as an excuse to raise prices on stock they had paid for already  ie what I would call price gouging when something is scarce and in demand.  Same concept as shops increasing prices on generators when a power outage looks likely, or charging more for bottled water when there is a disruption to the water supply.

Or have I got it wrong somehow  ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #28 on: February 23, 2018, 01:06:19 AM
From Blades Canada:

"Unfortunately we have started to be affected by the new restrictions of importation, and we have had to raise our prices across the board in order to preserve our inventory. We understand this is frustrating, as we have worked tirelessly for years to bring you the largest selection and lowest prices in the country. We value our customers very much, and hope that you understand this was a necessary step that we had no choice but to take. ."

To me it looks like they are using this as an excuse to raise prices on stock they had paid for already  ie what I would call price gouging when something is scarce and in demand.  Same concept as shops increasing prices on generators when a power outage looks likely, or charging more for bottled water when there is a disruption to the water supply.

Or have I got it wrong somehow  ?

That's my read on it too.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 02:17:55 AM
we have had to raise our prices across the board in order to preserve our inventory.

I didn't know CTD had a branch in Canada.

I'm sorry guys. I wish I had a good answer for you.

Can we help you smuggle the edge of freedom?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%