Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Canada - notice of detention

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Canada - notice of detention
Reply #30 on: February 23, 2018, 01:37:46 PM
I don't know about you guys, but this is the very reason I really need to raise funds for Multitool Island.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: February 23, 2018, 02:40:11 PM
From Blades Canada:

"Unfortunately we have started to be affected by the new restrictions of importation, and we have had to raise our prices across the board in order to preserve our inventory. We understand this is frustrating, as we have worked tirelessly for years to bring you the largest selection and lowest prices in the country. We value our customers very much, and hope that you understand this was a necessary step that we had no choice but to take. ."

To me it looks like they are using this as an excuse to raise prices on stock they had paid for already  ie what I would call price gouging when something is scarce and in demand.  Same concept as shops increasing prices on generators when a power outage looks likely, or charging more for bottled water when there is a disruption to the water supply.

Or have I got it wrong somehow  ?

Blatant gouging. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #32 on: March 02, 2018, 08:50:46 PM
just saw this on two other forums and thought worth posting  :salute:

Calling all Canadians!!!!!!

Below is a link to an actual petition created by a conservative member of parliament. If it gets to 500 signatures it will be discussed in the House of Commons which could lead to the recent CBSA ruling being reversed. Currently this is our best chance at a reversal. So if you are Canadian, and care about being able to continue to purchase our hobby products or any other folding knives please sign.

Signing it only takes a second.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Peti ... ion=e-1552
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #33 on: March 02, 2018, 09:06:51 PM
I saw that , and already signed it.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: March 07, 2018, 01:11:26 PM
I managed to receive a one handed opening knife from the US, and even more exciting, it is an assisted opener!   :ahhh

The SOG Trident made it through, u-ninspected, un-searched, unmolested and un-seized.

Of course there were also many other things in the package that may have hidden it, but the fact remains that I got it.

It may not sound like much, but at the moment I am counting it as a win.  I have many other comments I would like to make, but I am holding my tongue, and it is taking A LOT of effort to do so!   :ahhh

Def
15204239429250.jpg
* 15204239429250.jpg (Filesize: 171.93 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #35 on: March 07, 2018, 01:16:55 PM
I managed to receive a one handed opening knife from the US, and even more exciting, it is an assisted opener!   :ahhh

The SOG Trident made it through, u-ninspected, un-searched, unmolested and un-seized.

Of course there were also many other things in the package that may have hidden it, but the fact remains that I got it.

It may not sound like much, but at the moment I am counting it as a win.  I have many other comments I would like to make, but I am holding my tongue, and it is taking A LOT of effort to do so!   :ahhh

Def

Good for you, boss!

:cheers: :tu:

Hope that is not the only one that gets past the blocade!

:salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: March 07, 2018, 02:02:04 PM
from reading on other forums everyday, many are getting through, but the % of knives stopped at the border has at least doubled the last month   :ahhh
good for you boss!  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #37 on: March 23, 2018, 07:49:12 PM
I was away from home for about 10 days and arrived back yesterday.  In the mail was a follow up advising that I had tried to import a "centrifugal" knife and that i had 90 days to appeal.

Now appealing this decision would be akin to appealing a death sentence to the hangman :D  I haven't decided yet but will give it consideration.

The people at customs do not read letters sent to them as once again they sent the notice to the wrong address.  I wonder what it would take to get them to correct it.  This continuing mistake does not give me much faith in their decisions or their ability to do their job properly.

John.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: March 23, 2018, 07:56:31 PM
:facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: March 23, 2018, 08:02:54 PM
I was away from home for about 10 days and arrived back yesterday.  In the mail was a follow up advising that I had tried to import a "centrifugal" knife and that i had 90 days to appeal.

Now appealing this decision would be akin to appealing a death sentence to the hangman :D  I haven't decided yet but will give it consideration.

The people at customs do not read letters sent to them as once again they sent the notice to the wrong address.  I wonder what it would take to get them to correct it.  This continuing mistake does not give me much faith in their decisions or their ability to do their job properly.

John.

Contact your local MP and ask them to help.  They may step in and try to retrieve it.  Make sure to use phrases like "purchased prior to the ruling" and "is not in keeping with the spirit of the law."

Seriously, they have a lot of latitude to try and help people, and have the access to channels to actually make things like this happen.  Of course, it is up to said MP (and their staff) to determine just how much effort they are willing to put in for such a thing, but it's well worth a shot.  I suggest sending an email or letter, with a follow up phone call next week to check in.

I may have some ability to help you as well, at least with some advice, but it's not something I can admit to openly, so either PM, email or call/text me to discuss.

Def

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #40 on: March 23, 2018, 09:49:15 PM
Do any Canadian stores carry those knives?  If it was something like a SOG that retail stores here carry it would be hard for them to justify confiscating an illegal knife sold freely in retail... you'd think.

All of my lock blade knives can be 'flicked'.  The only reason the term centrifugal is in the prohibited weapons legislation was for butterfly/ballisong knives.  Nun chucks are also there.  And blow guns.  I guess they wrote that up when we were all fascinated with martial arts movies.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: March 25, 2018, 01:10:43 PM
I agree, however that is the concern.  If one agency decides they are illegal it is then used as a precedent by others until thy are made illegal everywhere in the system.

Def

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #42 on: March 26, 2018, 10:00:32 PM
Not wanting to beat a dead horse but I figured this would be of interest.  We have a MEC (mountain equipment coop) store locally.  I went online yesterday and noticed that they no longer carry oho knives - in the recent past they carried the leatherman crater and if I recall correctly a couple of Sog and Gerber folding knives.  They are no longer in their online catalogue.

I did see that several multitools including the wave, victorinox rangergrip 79 and others are still online.  It appears that the customs ruling has effected our retailers also.

They do carry a number of fixed blade knives so I guess that is what we will have to carry now. :D

John.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #43 on: March 27, 2018, 12:32:23 AM

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #44 on: March 27, 2018, 01:28:17 PM
Odds are you aren't getting it back.

I had the same problem with a nice ZT0392 factory custom (Hinderer Eclipse style). https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,64304.msg1218773.html#msg1218773

They declared it illegal to import as it was a 'centrifugal open'.

I called the number on the notice to get more info and talked to an agent (surprisingly polite). Here's a summary of the things I learned from the experience

- The test is performed by a 'retired police officer' that they have on staff.
- There is no standardized equipment or way of applying the test (ie it is totally at the tester's discretion when it comes to force applied, technique and number of tries)
- There is a 0% success rate on appealing (once they decide you can't have it, that's basically it).
- They give you the 'option' of shipping it back, but to do so, you need a 'bonded courier' that will pick it up from them and handle the paperwork to return it.
- Bonded Couriers only exist for large shipments, your small package is SOL and JWF. ie You basically have no recourse to ship it back as no Courier or carrier will deal with it and even if they did, the cost is exorbitant.
- The knife will be destroyed after a waiting period. Ostensibly so you can 'appeal' or arrange to ship it back... (Options that aren't options)
- I tried arguing that there was nothing illegal about the knife and that it was the same arrangement of features that could be purchased in a local knife or outdoors store. I was told that was an unacceptable argument and would not be considered (which is absolute BS).

In the end, I was unable to recover the knife and it was 'destroyed' (I'm convinced it's in the pocket of a greedy CBSA agent...).

It appears that even though the CBSA only recently announced their policy change, it was in reality the way they were implementing it all along.

As a result, I have stopped importing knives into the country and have contacted my local member of parliament to complain. Nothing ever came of it.

In the end, I'd say be thankful it's a Sanrenmu and not a high end custom because you will probably never see that knife.

Good luck and hopefully you have a better outcome.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: March 27, 2018, 04:19:51 PM
This is really a bummer.  So sorry to hear this fellas.   I do hope something, some kind of turn around can and will happen. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #46 on: March 27, 2018, 06:49:02 PM
This is really a bummer.  So sorry to hear this fellas.   I do hope something, some kind of turn around can and will happen.

+1

:salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #47 on: March 27, 2018, 11:32:58 PM
Toolslinger - thanks for the information.  There are no surprises there.  It looks to me like it's totally an arbitrary decision without any real reasons (ie increase in use of oho knives in crime etc). 

I am not out an expensive knife like yours and am not that bothered by loosing this one.  It does irk me though that we are restricted not by laws but by bureaucratic decisions made with no obvious merit.

bye for now,

John.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: March 27, 2018, 11:57:23 PM
There is another angle to this as well which might be of use. If I understand it correctly this is a custom block only, and the knives are still allowed to sell and use inside Canada.

If this was any other or bigger industry such a custom blockade could also be considered as protectionism, and an offensive move against the foreign countries and manufacturers previously selling these into Canada. As of now only Canadian made ones are allowed, and they are indeed allowed.

That undermines the idea that this is about knife policy as such rules should work regardless of the knifes origin. It makes it look more like a trade move, and then maybe one that isn't authorized as such by the right people - maybe just on the initative of customs themselves.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: March 28, 2018, 04:05:26 AM
Remind me if I ever come back to visit Canada, I will not carry anything that resembles a one handed opener  :facepalm:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: March 28, 2018, 09:54:59 PM
Remind me if I ever come back to visit Canada, I will not carry anything that resembles a one handed opener  :facepalm:

Hopefully by then this idiocy will have been sorted.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #51 on: April 09, 2018, 05:20:12 PM
https://twitter.com/MayorofLondon/status/982906526334668800

I posted it in the UK thread, but it is sort of relevant

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #52 on: April 09, 2018, 05:37:43 PM

What a total knob.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: April 09, 2018, 06:06:14 PM

What a total knob.

Agreed. There are lots of reasons to carry a knife. 

I hope someday he has to open some mail and can't.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: April 09, 2018, 06:10:55 PM
WHOA. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #55 on: April 10, 2018, 01:43:28 AM
I enjoyed my dinner, so I didn't go to far into the comments, but isn't the Lord Mayor of London the same asshat who basically said "terrorism happens, suck it up"? 
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: April 10, 2018, 02:05:00 PM
I found through Matt Easton's video...his comments are funny but true at the same time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07T5rVqj9Zk&t=0s

so sad this is actually happening
 :P
My toys:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #57 on: April 10, 2018, 05:36:06 PM
I am going to avoid getting into politics with my comment here. My observation has been that the large extent of people who are against knife laws don't want to use intellectual reasoning(or cannot) when it comes to arguing knife ownership.  This makes creating and instituting the laws much easier for the lawmakers that pander to fearful people. My observation takes note that when these things happen, people go on to the "blame game", which in itself negates the individuals possible valid point. Ex. "It's the immigrant's fault" "It's the youth's fault". "Liberals caused this" etc etc.
That kind of crap makes people sound like idiots. And nobody is going to listen to idiots.
If people want these laws to be reconsidered, they must figure out how to convey their stance WITHOUT blaming anybody (or group) in the argument or getting angry about it.  Some peple can and do convey with good reasoning. Problem is, the idiots are more abundant and scream louder.  Making the knife law/gun law debate political automatically loses half of the crowd who would have possibly listened to a reasonable argument.
Anyway. I'll shut up now.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:44:46 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: April 10, 2018, 10:17:14 PM
NO reason to ever carry a knife  :think:.   This just sounds idiotic.  How can this person honestly believe this? 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: April 11, 2018, 05:34:10 PM
NO reason to ever carry a knife  :think:.   This just sounds idiotic.  How can this person honestly believe this?

as the Major of London, he probably hasn't had to cut anything in the last few years, open anything sealed, slice any food, slash any cardboard, free anything from its envelope, trim anyn threads, etc. and has forgotten what "cutting" means  :D

PS: all of you Canucks in this forum that don't have a 110 yet, or any other Buck for that matter, scavenge on the last remains of the Buck knives stocked in your stores, Buck has stated that due to the new border rules they won't send or ship knives to Canada anymore  :ahhh
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:22:19 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%