Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Canada - notice of detention

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Canada - notice of detention
Reply #60 on: April 11, 2018, 09:08:33 PM
NO reason to ever carry a knife  :think:.   This just sounds idiotic.  How can this person honestly believe this?

as the Major of London, he probably hasn't had to cut anything in the last few years, open anything sealed, slice any food, slash any cardboard, free anything from its envelope, trim anyn threads, etc. and has forgotten what "cutting" means  :D

PS: all of you Canucks in this forum that don't have a 110 yet, or any other Buck for that matter, scavenge on the last remains of the Buck knives stocked in your stores, Buck has stated that due to the new border rules they won't send or ship knives to Canada anymore  :ahhh

If that's what they are doing then Buck are idiots.

The 110 is one of the few folding knives knives that won't fail the test as they are very difficult to open one handed due to the heavy backspring.

Chances are they are trying to give themselves a bit of a boost by doing something dumb and pretending it is someone else's fault.

That has the opposite effect on me.  I haven't bought a Buck product in many years and now I have even less interest in them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #61 on: April 11, 2018, 09:14:49 PM
Well hopefully after everything sharp is banned people start neck stabbing people with forks and pens, prison style.  Maybe everyone will just have to be locked up in their cells er i mean homes.   :rofl:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #62 on: April 11, 2018, 09:30:13 PM
I just used the "Chat" option to querry Buck Knives in re changes in shipping to Canada.

• The agent (Breana) stated that Buck has TEMPORARILY stopped shipping ALL folding knives to Canada.
  • She stated that ALL folders that are being sent to Canada are being stopped and NOT returned to the manufacturer.
  • Until they get clarification about Canadian policies, they won't resume shipping folders to Canada.

I did not get the sense that this is a "stunt" by Buck, but that Canadian customs has overreached its own policy and is now stopping the importation of ALL folding knives. I sensed confusion on the part of Buck as to why this is happening.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:31:44 PM by Nix »

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #63 on: April 11, 2018, 09:50:06 PM
The 110 is one of the few folding knives knives that won't fail the test as they are very difficult to open one handed due to the heavy backspring.

Would disagree, pinch grip the blade and they shake open easily.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #64 on: April 11, 2018, 09:51:43 PM
I dug into this a bit more.....

I seems this is a new implementation/interpretation of an existing law. An importer had five (5) Kershaw Skylines classified as prohibited weapons and seized. He appealed the decision to classify the Skyline as a centrifugal knife and, thus, a prohibited weapon. He lost the case in November, 2017.

CASE SUMMARY

This has allowed for a significant change in how knives are evaluated and classified.

It doesn't explain why then a Custom Buck 110 would not be allowed into the country. But apparently customs just won itself a whole lotta discretion.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: April 11, 2018, 09:52:19 PM

Would disagree, pinch grip the blade and they shake open easily.

:tu: One of the things I like about the 110.  :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #66 on: May 05, 2018, 10:02:39 PM
Almost a month later, seems like the mighty Spyderco is following Buck's path and decision

"Warriors and Wonders is Canada's largest online knife retailer and undoubtedly the best source of Spyderco in Canada. This was just posted on their website;
'Important notice: Due to a recent CBSA decision, we are no longer able to import Spyderco folding knives. As individual items sell out, they will be removed from our web site.' "

so I guess it's just a matter of time for Cold Steel, CRKT, Emerson, ZT, Kershaw, Benchmade and others to soon stop selling knives over the border or doing warranty repairs   :(

Stock on those Spyders now!  :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #67 on: May 05, 2018, 10:08:54 PM
There's no point in ordering them just to donate them to CBSA.

It's not even considered a tax deductible donation.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #68 on: May 05, 2018, 10:16:28 PM
I have zero interest in buying any folders but that is super annoying.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: May 05, 2018, 10:25:21 PM
I have zero interest in buying any folders but that is super annoying.

Just on principle.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: May 06, 2018, 05:07:12 AM
Sigh.  I'm really annoyed and bummed for y'all up north.   :(
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

Reply #71 on: May 06, 2018, 06:32:43 AM
This does not sound good at all.
The Canadian knife market is pretty big isnt it? Its one of the biggest hunting nations in the world, and now all the big companies are bugging out.

If I where a Canadian knife manufacturer, I dont know if I would be cheering, because the competition is disapearing, or worry that I might be next...  :-\
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #72 on: May 06, 2018, 07:18:47 AM
Just had a thought about this, why not instead petition the Government so that the CBSA have to provide photographic proof that the item has been destroyed? If that can't do that then it is theft and the CBSA will then be liable.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #73 on: May 06, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
Just had a thought about this, why not instead petition the Government so that the CBSA have to provide photographic proof that the item has been destroyed? If that can't do that then it is theft and the CBSA will then be liable.
But providing photographic evidence for each item would be a nightmare!  :ahhh

Oh wait.  :think: A nightmare, huh? For CBSA?  >:D :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #74 on: May 06, 2018, 05:30:14 PM
Looks like things are getting worse.  :facepalm:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #75 on: May 06, 2018, 06:23:02 PM
I suppose you all have to resort to knife smugglers in the future...  :facepalm:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #76 on: May 06, 2018, 06:28:38 PM
The MTO store will have to move to Europe   :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #77 on: May 06, 2018, 06:41:16 PM
Cheaper shipping for Europeans! :woohoo:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #78 on: May 07, 2018, 05:57:04 AM

So what does the mean for the MTO store? 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: May 07, 2018, 07:35:08 AM
Grant, I've got a guest room upstairs that you can use.

Do SAKs get stopped now too?

In that case, no more Syph customs outside of Canada either...

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #80 on: May 07, 2018, 11:29:51 AM
This thread is depressing.  :(
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #81 on: May 07, 2018, 01:38:55 PM

Exporting anything is fine it's only stuff coming into cansda getting stopped.  Saks are safe regardless and one of the reasons I stick with working on those.  Even if I move to making fully my own knives and not just modding I will be making slipjoints.  The tacticool market is flooded and many countries will get more restrictive not less iver time.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: May 07, 2018, 03:41:25 PM

Exporting anything is fine it's only stuff coming into cansda getting stopped.  Saks are safe regardless and one of the reasons I stick with working on those.  Even if I move to making fully my own knives and not just modding I will be making slipjoints.  The tacticool market is flooded and many countries will get more restrictive not less iver time.
Well I was aiming at sending donor SAKs your way to begin with :D

But ok, you answered more then I bargained for...

In short: I still have time :dd:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #83 on: May 07, 2018, 09:04:47 PM

Well I was aiming at sending donor SAKs your way to begin with :D

But ok, you answered more then I bargained for...

In short: I still have time :dd:

Well my donors did get in, so there is still hope, I guess?
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: May 07, 2018, 11:56:30 PM
To me it still sounds very off that the customs on their own can stop products that are otherwise legally made, sold and used inside the country.

If it didn't look so off and clumsy, and in such a small industry, it would have looked like a customs diy trade blockade and foreign policy move.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #85 on: September 20, 2018, 10:12:22 PM
Not sure if bringing this thread back to life is worthwhile but I wanted to provide an update.

I have written a letter and sent it twice to CBSA along with copies to our local (liberal) MP.  This is the MP who recently sent out a newsletter advising that he really wished to hear from his constituents :D

To date I've tried to be fair and not respond negatively in this thread - if you go through my entries that this can be confirmed.  I have reached a point of frustration and will make the following points about the Canadian Border Services(???) Agency. 

1) The people at the CBSA agency responsible to the public are arrogant and see no need to listen to the public.  They refused to change my address when I pointed out to them that they had it wrong.  This was the addresses that they sent seizure documents too and it seems to me that it should be correct.

2) They are arrogant enough that they saw no need to answer my letter - the last copy was sent out over 2 months ago.  I'd send more but there is no point.

3) My local MP (from the governing party)  is useless - this is not a surprise to me as I doubt that he and his party are at all interested in helping out the average law abiding citizen.

The interesting part of this is that knives that would fall under the CBSA "centrifugal" provision are readily available within Canada (ebay, pawnshops, thrift stores etc) - I see them every day. 

I have given a small donation towards the legal challenge on gofundme.com.  It has about $8900 out of a total of $110,000 or so that is requested (this is all in US funds).  If anyone reading this can see their way towards a small donation it might help.

Thanks for reading,

John.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #86 on: September 21, 2018, 02:49:44 PM
Not sure if bringing this thread back to life is worthwhile but I wanted to provide an update.

Thanks for reading,

John.

I, for one, appreciate the update John and I feel sad for the situation, as we fellow knife nuts suffer from nonsensical blade laws in every corner of this planet,  :P so we have to be united to fight against it.  :ahhh

In the future, I hope that the CBSA will see the stupidity in their actions and that the combined strength of citizens, businesses and law abiding companies will prevail and revert this new "ruling" that doesn't even comply with the Canadian law.  ???  Be safe out there, and fight for what is right.  :viking:

Best wishes and courage you all Canucks,
and have a great weekend  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%