Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge or ST300 for my glove compartment

Offline aikon2014

Surge or ST300 for my glove compartment
on: February 20, 2018, 08:25:02 PM
I was thinking about putting one of my Leathermans in my glove compartment as a car tool, especially since we are driving to Norway in march for a cat exhibition, if anything happens it's probarbly a good idea to have something in the car. Which one do you think is the best for the car, ST300 or Surge? Can't decide  :D

In a sense it feels like a punishment to the tool I choose to be left in the car and not loved on my shelf and in my apertment  :D :D :D :D :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Surge or ST300 for my glove compartment
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:27:46 PM
I have an ST300 in one car.

I just wanted the top heavy duty LM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 08:29:21 PM
Not knowing laws about 1 OHO laws over there I would go with the ST300 as well :think: Plus it is one that can take plenty of abuse and keep on going >:D :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 08:38:32 PM
Depends on how hands on you are. I currently have a slightly modified Surge in the glove box.
I also keep a bunch of tools/gear in the boot.

Offline aikon2014

Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 08:45:20 PM
Thanks for the replies!
It is legal to have a knife in the car here in Sweden, especially since it is in a multitool, as long as you can justify it, which means that I would use it for needs that might come up. I know nothing about repairing cars, but I have friends I can call to help me, plus my wife knows more about cars than I do, but I'm sure it will come in handy! I will go with the ST300 :)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 11:45:34 PM
Thanks for the replies!
It is legal to have a knife in the car here in Sweden, especially since it is in a multitool, as long as you can justify it, which means that I would use it for needs that might come up. I know nothing about repairing cars, but I have friends I can call to help me, plus my wife knows more about cars than I do, but I'm sure it will come in handy! I will go with the ST300 :)
Good choice  :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 11:51:04 PM
I also would recommend the ST300  :tu:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 12:14:19 AM

Not knowing laws about 1 OHO laws over there I would go with the ST300 as well :think: Plus it is one that can take plenty of abuse and keep on going >:D :D

I also would recommend the ST300  :tu:

+1

The ST300 is one of the best tools out there in my opinion  :tu:

And even though it's legal to have a knife in the car in Sweden, it might be different in Norway, and I know for sure it's different in other European countries ...

And the ST300 looks a lot less threatening than the Surge, I know you shouldn't care what other people think, but if people see you deploying an ST300, they see a pair of pliers, if they see you deploying a Surge, they see a knife, trust me .... I've been there ... (not in Norway, I mean in that situation ...  :P).

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 12:24:47 AM
I would hide it somewhere else in the car as the glove box is the first place car thieves look.
Your car is likely to be much more secure than mine though.   ;)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 01:28:59 PM
good choice! :salute:

ST300 is also extremely nice to use with gloves on, in a cold highway, a snowy road or with grease, oil, dirt or stuff everywhere.  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 01:42:13 PM
I would hide it somewhere else in the car as the glove box is the first place car thieves look.
Your car is likely to be much more secure than mine though.   ;)
I agree but for me it's more the police that would see that as carrying a weapon
I would keep it in the boot of the car with the spare wheel  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 02:56:40 PM
~I know nothing about repairing cars, but I have friends I can call to help me, plus my wife knows more about cars than I do, but I'm sure it will come in handy! I will go with the ST300 :)
I would also suggest assembling a tool kit with common wrench’s and sockets, plus some parts like fuses, bulbs, tire gauge, electrical and duct tape. And have car inspected by mechanic before the trip. 

Any MT is handy, yet best if you know how and when to utilize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 11:05:45 PM
I would choose the ST300 also. It is a strong dependable tool.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 12:13:21 AM
Norway you say? I'd also take other stuff, like blankets, food, fire starter kit, first aid, flares, hand warmers, just in case your trip turns into a Survivorman episode.

Offline aikon2014

Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 12:15:48 AM
Norway you say? I'd also take other stuff, like blankets, food, fire starter kit, first aid, flares, hand warmers, just in case your trip turns into a Survivorman episode.

Lol  :D
Well, it's the same climate as here in northern Sweden, so basically no risk. Plus we have good assistance for free on the car  :D

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 12:20:16 AM
Glad to hear you're prepared. I'd go with the ST300 too.  :like:

Offline aikon2014

Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 12:42:24 AM
Glad to hear you're prepared. I'd go with the ST300 too.  :like:

I don't know but do you imagine it is like barren tundra up here?  :D :D

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 02:04:47 AM
Thanks for the replies!

If having a knife in the car, especially as part of a multi-tool, is legal where you are going...the Surge is unmatched in tool count and durability. Also weight, but that shouldn't matter if it will be riding with the spare tire.

To other people's posts, the Super Tool is indeed more tame-looking (and cost less $).

My suggestion, though, would be to invest that $ into a small, but real tool kit. Among my many toolboxes, I have a Craftsman 96 piece(+-) tool kit that comes in its own hard plastic travel case. It contains a couple of different ratchet wrenches with a whole bunch of sockets. There are a couple of combo wrenches, there is a screw driver with a bunch of normal size changeable bits. When closed, the whole kit is about as long as my elbow to the end of my closed fist on one side, the same dimension along the other axis, and about six inches (15cm) or 8 inches thick. Opens suitcase style and all tools are in a cutout place. Grab yourself a low cost three of four pack of various plyers. Make sure one is blunt and one is needle nose. They may fit into the empty spaces of the other tool kit, and can be indispensable. Multi tool plyers don't cut it for the spring loaded radiator hose clamps the way dedicated blunt plyers do.

If you have car trouble on the road, why resort to the Multi-tool first? Have a good, small set of dedicated tools. You don't want to have a multi as your only choice and only be able to "almost" fix a lot of things. Better off definitely being able to fix a smaller range of likely issues. But still keep a multi tool in the trunk as well.

Personally, I keep a Leatherman on my belt at all times, and at LEAST the tool kit I have described in the back of my truck.

Have a safe drive and enjoy the exhibition. Are you entering your own cat as well?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:07:08 AM by ThundahBeagle »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 02:07:55 AM
Are you entering your own cat as well?
Perhaps that could have been worded better...  :whistle:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 03:45:37 AM
Are you entering your own cat as well?
Perhaps that could have been worded better...  :whistle:

Um...into the competition, I mean...the kitty-cat, that is.

There is a town on Cape Cod named "Dennis." We have road signs here that tell you every town into which you are arriving. The "Entering Dennis" sign is a frequent victim of theft and all sorts of debaucherous defacement.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 06:38:56 AM
 :rofl:   :facepalm:

Do we have a car tools thread? Maybe we should get one going yeah.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 11:45:27 AM
Ask a Mod to start a thread

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 01:45:54 PM
Ask a Mod to start a thread

I think we have one already,
I'm sure I've read it before  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 01:54:20 PM
Ask a Mod to find it then :)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 04:24:08 PM
My toys:

us Offline Rescueraver

• New User
Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 04:32:53 PM
I lost my ST 300 at work the other week. That was a important part of my edc work pouch  I went to a Big box outdoor store so I could touch and handle each MT I was looking at. The choices were  ST 300, the Surge, and the OHT. I quickly decided on the Surge I ordered the bit kit and bit extender. The choice lies in the fact the Surge is a lot more adaptable with the bit driver and replaceable saw/file holder  then the ST 300.
LM ST300, LM Surge, LM Skeletool, LM PST, LM Raptor, SAK Classic SAK Tinker, Channellock Rescue tool 88 & 86, and not for pocket or belt carry Hi Lift First Responder Jack.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%