Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I got Duped!

us Offline Thisjk38

I got Duped!
on: February 21, 2018, 04:40:19 AM
So I bid on this knife thinking I was getting a broken Swiss champ. I could tell from the pic that the scissors were broken, toothpick and tweezers were missing, and the magnifying glass had its lens missing. I was fine with that because I wanted to use it for my first mod attempt, and I had no plans for those specific tools. When I received it I noticed instantly it was a bootleg sak, with Victorinox scales pressed/glued on.

The description and title don’t use Victorinox, just says Swiss Army Knife. From these pictures, can you guys tell it’s not a Vic, and that I just screwed up? Or would any of you fallen for you it too? I suspect now that the seller took strategic photos, because you can’t see the knife stamp that just says “stainless”, or the back tools that obviously aren’t vic’s.

It’s a $16 lesson for me, so not much of a loss. I did message the seller, and will be leaving negative feedback if he doesn’t try to correct it. Since it only says Swiss Army knife in the ad, do you think I can still argue that it’s not one, since technically it is Victorinox that officially supplies Swiss Army knives?
I’ve seen other auctions that say “Swiss Army knife style” for these junk knives. I don’t care all too much about getting my money back, I just hate feeling cheated so I want to do something about this.... the last photo, I took, and it was not in the ad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: I got Duped!
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 04:59:34 AM
Please, raise living hell on ebay about this. It's someone who is obviously commiting fraud, and won't stop until someone shuts him down.

You might just feel like a fool for falling for it, but it's not YOU being the scumbag. Demand a refund. See if you can get ebay to shut the guy down.

Because, remember, it's not just going to be YOU this guy screws.

Yes, I have opinions on such matters. They involve tar and feathers.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 05:15:55 AM
The pliers are a dead giveaway for me but I could see how it will fool people. Seems the seller knows what they are doing.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 06:20:01 AM
Yeah, I can see instantly that it's a fake. It's all kinda wrong, but the tang stamp is a dead giveaway. The price should also make you suspicious. Personally, I wouldn't be too pissed at the seller. They never said "Victorinox" and they showed lots of pictures. "Swiss Army Knife" is sorta a trademark, but 99% of the world who are not on this forum call any red knife with lots of tools a "Swiss Army Knife". It's a concept that's been genericized like "Kleenex". BTW - the actual trademarks are "Original Swiss Army Knife" for Victorinox  and "Genuine Swiss Army Knife" for Wenger.

Ask nicely if you can return it. Most likely the seller will say yes. It's easier to take a return than to deal with negative feedback. Don't need to go into accusations of fraud or anything like that - most likely this is just some random seller that got a red knife in a box of crap from an estate sale, dumped it on eBay for $15 with a simple description that matches what most non-knife people would call it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:42:05 AM by jazzbass »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 07:02:53 AM
The lack of the word Victorinox and the shiny metal magnifying glass frame are gigantic clues.
It's your mistake, really. No point in going ballistic about it - the seller played by the rules.
Nevertheless it must be galling to know you paid good money for a second-hand, defective turd!

edit: having said that, the pictures are deliberately misleading, so it should be possible to get your money back.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:15:16 AM by Thunderpants »

us Offline Doc1911

Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 07:26:45 AM
I hope you reach a satisfactory resolution, but Ebay couldn't care less about fraudulent listings as long as they get their cut.  I saw a guy list a cheap Chinese copy of the Spanish Aitor copy of the SAK and claim it was a Victorinox Huntsman.  I reported it twice to Ebay and they did absolutely nothing. I called out the seller and he was a douche.

So I bid on this knife thinking I was getting a broken Swiss champ. I could tell from the pic that the scissors were broken, toothpick and tweezers were missing, and the magnifying glass had its lens missing. I was fine with that because I wanted to use it for my first mod attempt, and I had no plans for those specific tools. When I received it I noticed instantly it was a bootleg sak, with Victorinox scales pressed/glued on.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 07:28:30 AM
I have some spare parts you are welcome to.  Tomorrow I'll post them up here and you decided what you want and I'll send them out.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 09:24:34 AM
I have some spare parts you are welcome to.  Tomorrow I'll post them up here and you decided what you want and I'll send them out.

Thanks I'll keep my eye out for it.

Like I said it's a lesson learned. I did email him about it. Besides the issue of the scales I included that the listing states there is only one missing/broken tool, when there are actually 4. So the description was wrong, and hopefully I am protected by ebay's policy. The price didnt throw me off too much. I lost an auction earlier in the week on a champion with a bent saw, and missing scissor spring that went for $19. So this being in worse condition I wasn't alarmed. Had it been a perfect tool then I would have been worried. I've seen plenty of listings with wrong titles or Victorinox labeled as Wenger, or vise versa, and with just swiss army knife. I see now the magnifying glass is a dead giveaway, but what did I miss about the pliers. I can't tell from the picture how it is a fake.

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 09:28:33 AM
I just want to be clear, the last picture of the tang stamp, I took it. I just included it for reference. The seller only put up the two shots of the knife from the logo side. Had the tang stamp been included, I would have stayed clear.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 09:35:55 AM
I see now the magnifying glass is a dead giveaway, but what did I miss about the pliers. I can't tell from the picture how it is a fake.

They are too thin. Another thing is the liners, they all look the same, sak liners usually vary.   :shrug:

us Offline LJUSMC

• LJUSMC on USN, WUS, EDCF
I got Duped!
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 09:36:31 AM
While i think it’s entirely possible that the seller knew what he was doing, I don’t think it’s wise to immediately jump to that conclusion. There are people that don’t know one red knife from another.

If I gave a red handled knife with a lot of blades and screwdrivers to my father and he put it on eBay, I guarantee he would call it a “Swiss Army knife,” with absolutely no idea of its legitimacy, and i highly doubt the thought has ever crossed his mind that one would ever be counterfeit.

Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it screwed you.

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 09:40:14 AM
Seems like a fraud attempt to me... but one should be cordial (if unapologetic) towards the seller regardless.
-T
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 09:43:00 AM
While i think it’s entirely possible that the seller knew what he was doing, I don’t think it’s wise to immediately jump to that conclusion. There are people that don’t know one red knife from another.

I don't think it matters. He still sold an item with a Victorinox shield & cross although it was a piece of crap (no, I don't think those are original Victorinox scales).
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline LJUSMC

Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 10:10:04 AM

I don't think it matters. He still sold an item with a Victorinox shield & cross although it was a piece of crap (no, I don't think those are original Victorinox scales).

Except it does matter. Several of you are ready to form a lynch mob for some guy who may be a victim himself.

Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it screwed you.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 10:16:01 AM

Except it does matter. Several of you are ready to form a lynch mob for some guy who may be a victim himself.

Lynch mob? I never said anything like that. If he is a victim himself, he should try to get his money back from whomever he bought in in the first place.

Selling counterfeit items is not allowed, regardless of the seller knowing about it or not.

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline LJUSMC

Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 10:22:23 AM

Lynch mob? I never said anything like that. If he is a victim himself, he should try to get his money back from whomever he bought in in the first place.

Selling counterfeit items is not allowed, regardless of the seller knowing about it or not.

Well I don’t disagree there.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 10:47:54 AM
I don't think it's an innocent mistake.

Nobody uses that strange camera angle, ever, unless they are trying to hide something!

Edti - on ebay I often see alox Pioneers in beautiful colours, photographed ever so carefully so that you cannot see the shop logo on the back. Obviously Victorinox alox with no third party logo is the most cherished so some sellers go to great lengths to let you think that's what you're getting. They deceive without actually telling an explicit lie.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:51:15 AM by Thunderpants »

br Offline MaverickMCS

Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 12:26:10 PM
I am not an expert, but the knife does have some "red alerts" to its authenticity.
-
My opinion is that both parts have a smal blame on the matter; You for assuming that "swiss army knife" must mean Vic/Wenger and not recognizing the tells on the pics, and the seller for selling a counterfeit item, knowingly or not.
I would check other items the seller has for sale, and past sales to see if it's someone versed in knives or if it's someone that never delt with one, and from there I would choose how to act next, either by learning my lesson and moving on, or going for the seller's throat...

Offline toolbox

Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 01:27:04 PM
it is obviously not a vic.. so it is yourr own fault  :climber:

Offline toolbox

Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 01:32:05 PM
and for the price given it is stupid to be a smurfhole about it... seller just didnt know what he sold and u didnt know what u bought

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 01:58:03 PM
I don't think I would of noticed  :think:
But this is a good topic as I will be more aware
From now on especially the way people describe the item  :tu: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline LJUSMC

Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 02:23:43 PM
Obviously Victorinox alox with no third party logo is the most cherished so some sellers go to great lengths to let you think that's what you're getting. They deceive without actually telling an explicit lie.

See, that’s what I’m talking about. I had no idea that unmarked Alox knives were more desirable than marked ones. I’d be the guy who happened to take a picture not showing the mark and then get blasted as if I knew what i was doing.

Yes, there are people out there who are shady, but there are also people that just don’t know what they have.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 02:26:47 PM
I am learning something new everyday on this forum  :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 02:29:01 PM
Obviously Victorinox alox with no third party logo is the most cherished so some sellers go to great lengths to let you think that's what you're getting. They deceive without actually telling an explicit lie.

See, that’s what I’m talking about. I had no idea that unmarked Alox knives were more desirable than marked ones. I’d be the guy who happened to take a picture not showing the mark and then get blasted as if I knew what i was doing.

Yes, there are people out there who are shady, but there are also people that just don’t know what they have.

And those are the people we should redirect to this great forum, so they can learn!  :cheers:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline cody6268

Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 03:39:17 PM
The good thing is that you learned that it isn't an actual SAK.  I'd keep the knife, as to show others what isn't a real SAK. Even Vic does for this reason.  I have a few I had as a kid that I retain for this same purpose, although most of mine are the old 1990s dark red, and those with the fake Aitor shield.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 03:46:07 PM
The pliers are a dead giveaway for me but I could see how it will fool people. Seems the seller knows what they are doing.

Yup, too thin. Also the scaler tip is wrong.

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 03:47:42 PM
Yeah, I can see instantly that it's a fake. It's all kinda wrong, but the tang stamp is a dead giveaway. The price should also make you suspicious. Personally, I wouldn't be too pissed at the seller. They never said "Victorinox" and they showed lots of pictures. "Swiss Army Knife" is sorta a trademark, but 99% of the world who are not on this forum call any red knife with lots of tools a "Swiss Army Knife". It's a concept that's been genericized like "Kleenex". BTW - the actual trademarks are "Original Swiss Army Knife" for Victorinox  and "Genuine Swiss Army Knife" for Wenger.

Ask nicely if you can return it. Most likely the seller will say yes. It's easier to take a return than to deal with negative feedback. Don't need to go into accusations of fraud or anything like that - most likely this is just some random seller that got a red knife in a box of crap from an estate sale, dumped it on eBay for $15 with a simple description that matches what most non-knife people would call it.

:imws:

This...

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 03:49:27 PM

If I gave a red handled knife with a lot of blades and screwdrivers to my father and he put it on eBay, I guarantee he would call it a “Swiss Army knife,” with absolutely no idea of its legitimacy, and i highly doubt the thought has ever crossed his mind that one would ever be counterfeit.

Your father is a horrible person!!!!

;)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 03:50:35 PM
Seems like a fraud attempt to me... but one should be cordial (if unapologetic) towards the seller regardless.
-T

+1

Talk first, try to solve the problem. If it doesn't work, go to next level.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 03:56:08 PM
When in doubt, ask for more pics. Ask for pics of the tang stamp, of some specific tools, of the front and back scales.

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD