Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mystery steel? Browning

Offline aikon2014

Mystery steel? Browning
on: February 21, 2018, 08:50:30 PM
I can't remember the model number or anything about it, I got two of them for about 10$ each in 2008 as a store was closing down.

Anyone know anything about it? What steel is it?

The only thing I have found out is that the steel seem to be decent, about the same performance as my leathermans, which I have to say is a good deal as the price was so cheap. The build wuality is actually quite good and fit and finish is pretty decent as well. There seem to be plastic/composite washers, no bronze or brass, but that is replaceable in the future.

Anyone that might know anything about it?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Mystery steel? Browning
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 08:56:10 PM
I think they are made in China, so, possibly the Chinese equivalent of 440A or 420H
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 01:41:02 PM
with a 90% probability, it's 440A or 8Cr13MoV
If it performs like Leatherman's 420HC it could be 420, but the Chinese mostly use the cheaper, softer and gummier 420j2.

420 HC has a relatively high carbon content in comparison, and it's mostly used by SOG, Gerber, LM and Buck companies

for that price could be the Chinese version of 420 like 7Cr13Mov or even 3Cr...
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 04:56:03 PM
I read somewhere that Browning used 7Cr.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 08:06:44 PM
Probably 3cr ; slightly harder than butter

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 12:42:40 PM
Probably 3cr ; slightly harder than butter

:rofl: sad but true
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 02:03:14 PM
I agree with most of the guesses posted here by other members. Though, I would bet that the knife, being from 2008 or earlier, it is more than likely basic "440 stainless". The knife is a rebadge (meaning a bunch of branda slapped their name on it). My brother has a "sheffield" that is the same knife. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 03:37:18 PM
I agree with most of the guesses posted here by other members. Though, I would bet that the knife, being from 2008 or earlier, it is more than likely basic "440 stainless". The knife is a rebadge (meaning a bunch of branda slapped their name on it). My brother has a "sheffield" that is the same knife. :)

it is the classic example of "gas station folder::)  that is made in China at the lowest cost possible, and sold in other countries under the name "MTech", "TacForce", "Frost Cutlery", "United Cutlery" and similar and is basically disposable, made of "surgical stainless  :rofl:" steel and bad tolerances, cheap screws, etc... :facepalm:

then you have similar knives with varied handle colors, blade shapes (usually Tanto and partially serrated  :D) and often "Police", "Zombie", "US Army" or other words on it
Cheap coatings and camo are a recurrent theme on these,
and they're 90% liner or frame locks  :ahhh
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 03:39:29 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 01:55:23 AM

it is the classic example of "gas station folder::)  that is made in China at the lowest cost possible, and sold in other countries under the name "MTech", "TacForce", "Frost Cutlery", "United Cutlery" and similar and is basically disposable, made of "surgical stainless  :rofl:" steel and bad tolerances, cheap screws, etc... :facepalm:

then you have similar knives with varied handle colors, blade shapes (usually Tanto and partially serrated  :D) and often "Police", "Zombie", "US Army" or other words on it
Cheap coatings and camo are a recurrent theme on these,
and they're 90% liner or frame locks  :ahhh
I probably shouldn't admit this, but there was a time I thought those were "good knives". Oh what naive times. :rofl:

I still have a knife called the "Bullet" I bought ten years ago. It is an assisted folder that will open for no reason clipped in the pocket. Three stitches in my thigh taught me that you get what you pay for with knives.  :P
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%