Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can someone 'illuminate' me?

scotland Offline Dunkeld

Can someone 'illuminate' me?
on: February 21, 2018, 11:50:29 PM
How would the light on, say, a Huntsman Lite compare with the light on a Midnite Manager? Brighter?....weaker?

I'm referring to current models.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Can someone 'illuminate' me?
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 02:03:56 AM
Haven’t done side by side comparisons for the two... my guess is the Huntsman Lite would be brighter as it uses 2 button cell batteries compared to  1 on the manager...

Am by no means an expert on lumens, etc. but hopefully others will chime in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:54:38 AM
What a great question.  I don't have either but I like what jaya said.  Anyone?  Hello........   :D
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 08:46:55 AM
also, the clear, white LEDs are brighter than the older, red LEDs found in some models
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 03:17:13 AM
I've never owned a 58mm or 65mm Swiss knife with light, so unfortunately I can't answer your question.

I do however have a Voyager Lite that I nearly sold a couple of times, and I'm really glad that I didn't. I changed the batteries on mine yesterday, and it's been in my pocket for much of today. The light isn't going to signal to passing aircraft, or blind an assailant, or be any good for search and rescue. What it will do, is help you find the keyhole in the dark, and which key you need to use, find the pen that just rolled under the sofa, the blown fuse in the fuseboard, the lightswitch in a hotel room or unfamiliar house that you're an overnight guest at, how much gas you've got in your Clipper lighter, and various other mundane chores.

I know some people think that electronics have no place on a Swiss knife, but I have found this a very welcome tool option. I've found the scale electronics useful too. I sold an Explorer and a Yeoman, because I didn't find the mag glass to be particularly useful, but I found that I really don't want to part with this one. For short travel jaunts in urban settings, it's a great little tool. For a shade thicker than an Explorer, I lose the mag glass, but gain a pen, pin, micro driver, nail file on the hook, alarm clock, countdown timer, and a perfectly acceptably little light. I've had mini maglight style lights that were duller than this, and before LEDs caught on, and we knew "better", we thought those lights were great.

The only change that I'd want on this knife, would be the technician driver in place of the redundant small blade. I've used every single function on this tool (yes, including alarm and countdown timer). It might not be the best tool of choice for the hiker, bushcrafter, jetskier, potholer, tree surgeon, or bovine proctologist, but it's the one I want for visiting friends, or a short urban break. I appreciate that not everyone will yield the value from one of these, but I have, and it's proved itself on several occasions to be a damn good travel tool.

It's yet another great example of how much function Victorinox can cram into their tools, and despite the disdain some have for the electronic options, I think it's a very underestimated pocket tool option. I believe the Traveller Lite is the nearest model that's currently available, which also adds a thermometer and altimeter to the mix.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:19:55 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44