Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Design

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Victorinox Design
on: February 23, 2018, 02:22:00 AM
Probably old news to everyone, but I came across this page on victorinox.com. Some cool info.

This is the alox section from the materials page:

"The celebrated Alox scales have reached a near cult status, thanks to their unique surface which is pleasing to both hand and eye. The appeal of Alox is in its merging of aesthetics with functionality – its attractive embossed surface make the knife both lightweight and easy to grip, and the hardened oxide layer helps to protect against damage and corrosion.

After being punched from aluminum and embossed, Alox scales go through a process called Eloxal which uses anodic oxidation to create a protective layer. It is this final layer which allows for the coloring of the scales.

Alox has a strong significance in the history of Victorinox. First introduced for the Pioneer knife in 1957, Alox was a key feature of the Soldier’s Knife which was redesigned in 1961 and used until 2008. Today, we issue a Classic pocketknife with Alox scales in a different color every year. These limited edition knives are highly sought-after by design afficionados and collectors, showing the true timeless appeal of this iconic material."

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Explore/Inspiration/Design/cms/design
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: Victorinox Design
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 02:32:13 AM
Speaking of design, I noticed something cool a couple days ago on the one hand sentinel I'm carrying for the 111mm challenge.

The way the blade is shaped, it's tang stands proud of the scales when the blade is closed. On their other knife series, the tang doesn't protrude when closed.

This is something that has driven me crazy on the few traditional knives I've owned, but victorinox was clever and made the liner lock release just the right height to cover the exposed tang so it doesn't snag on anything.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:31:19 AM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%