Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Acoustic/Electric Instrument Multitool?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Acoustic/Electric Instrument Multitool?
on: February 23, 2018, 10:34:22 AM
  Wonder if there is a multitool geared more for the acoustic or electrical musician?

Something that can be carried in the case or on the belt. The usual, pliers, file, screwdriver to tighten the mechanical tuner screws in the headset & pick guards, perhaps a built-in or attachable string winder, nippers to cut the steel strings, and something made from steel with quality that is going to last. A tripod screw that can be flipped out to hold a camera, microphone, etc. would be a plus. Oh, and a fold-out spanner wrench to tighten the 1/4" amp jack nut & toggles for the electric musician types.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:36:33 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Acoustic/Electric Instrument Multitool?
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 12:47:53 PM
This is the only thing that comes to mind.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 01:14:40 PM
I have seen a number of them over the years, and for the most part I consider them to be mostly shoddy constructed tools aimed at taking money away from musicians that don't know any better or taking money away from friends and family of musicians searching for the "perfect gift."  I haven't seen any good quality ones that would be any better than keeping a SwissTool or something in your guitar case.  In fact, I have used a variety of multitools, probably most commonly a Spirit, to repair the instruments of bands that would play at the bars I worked at, often while the rest of the band was playing.

Two things I find appalling- many musicians never seem to look after or spend much time maintaining their instruments (other than tuning) and many haven't got a clue what to do when a humbucker refuses to hum.  If you want to base your lifestyle on a piece of equipment, at least know how to perform (no pun intended) basic repairs and upkeep on said equipment,  There won't always be a doorman there to help you out!   :ahhh

While many of these market specific type tools exist, I have never seen one that beats a good EDC tool, nor have I seen one well crafted or worth the money.  I'd like to, but one has never crossed my path as of yet.

In fact, the only market specific tools that seem worth having are the cycling multitools, since most EDC oriented tools don't have Allen wrenches on them.  And even they range a lot from very good to absolute crap.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 02:09:15 PM
  Ahh! I do have the Mako Ti thing on the Rover's pack. That might suffice for a few tasks. For what that Mako was intended the 15mm is worthless for tightening an axle cause there's no leverage on the tool - no length or a handle extension. So it may have some purpose after all. Thanks for the tip, Grant!

Thinking perhaps I might want to get another MTO sticker... guess who discovered case stickers?  :D  Wonder where i can order a couple?  ???

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 05:43:30 PM
You can get stickers here:

https://store.multitool.org/mto-brand-12

I should probably order a few more types and styles though, mix it up a bit!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%